HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What cities in North America could accomodate a World Championship?

Old
06-03-2012, 02:42 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Look to NCAA arenas IMO.

College hockey would be done, plus if a city has college hockey than usually it's a hockey hotbed and would actually show up for WCs, which can be tough attendance draws to start with given that the best players are usually not playing and most people aren't interested in a game between say France and Kazakhstan.

As for capacity, the tourney in Slovakia was held in Bratislava and Kosice, with capacities of 9246 and 7628 respectively, so the smaller college arenas shouldn't be that big of a problem. And there are several decent sized arenas (particularly in the midwest) that are bigger than either of those too.

Also remember that some arenas are home to AHL/NBA teams, and they still have playoffs so even if a city doesn't have a NHL team the arena might not be useable. ECHL teams I'd have less problem screwing over.
Im not sure if I remember this correctly, but I think that Slovakia actually got some kind of exception when it came to this last year and usually the IIHF requires the main venue for the IHWC to have a bigger capacity than the Bratislava arena has. (not sure about the exact number, but somewhere around 12 000 most probably I think).

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:17 PM
PaulieVegas

I'm not sure there's an American city that could successfully host a Worlds. Seriously, the only people in the USA who even know the Worlds exist are: (1) those playing in it; and (2) those responding to this post. I don't care where you put it in the USA, every game except the Canada games would only draw 1,000 people. And the Canada games would draw 2,000 people if it's in a USA-Canada border town.

Unless it's best-on-best, the USA just doesn't show up to support its national teams in any sport. And even then, we don't often do it. It was embarassing to watch the World Baseball Classic semifinals in Los Angeles a few years ago against Japan. Despite having guys like Jeter, Pedroia, Youlkis, Wright, Braun, Oswalt, McCann, etc., very few Americans came out to watch the game. The crowd was mostly drum-pounding Japanese and we ended up getting clobbered on our home soil. And also remember, two years ago the U-20 tournament was held in Buffalo and when Canada played the USA, Canada had a substantial home ice advantage on foreign soil. In a traditional American hockey market, no less. So, just forget about the USA as a candidate.

Canada has its own problems. While they care about this tournament far more than the USA, their attention is elsewhere during the tournament, like on the Stanley Cup Playoffs, CJHL playoffs, and AHL playoffs. So you may have to find a town that isn't involved in any of that. I don't know, does Whitehorse have an arena?

Seriously, any city in NA, whether American or Canadian, would be hard-pressed to host a successful Worlds. If you want fans to come to games, it would be best to hold the Worlds in Europe every year. But in a place that doesn't charge as much as Finland for tickets, because I saw a lot of empty seats this year and read on this board that high ticket prices were the reason why.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:24 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
You may think that my guidelines are unrealistic, but there are a lot more problems with hoating it in the States beyond venues. If it were your money on the line how many of these markets do you think you could make a buck in or even break even if you hosted the WC? I remember how big the IIHF WJC flopped in Boston, and that is one of the top hockey markets in the US.
Nobody cares about junior sports, that's why. Especially in a major league sports town like Boston. The WJC would only be successful in college hockey markets like Grand Forks and Minneapolis. Buffalo was only "successful" because it was 80% Canadians.

The WC are actually the real national teams, not just kids. They would have far more appeal almost everywhere.

I think Omaha would be a great place to host it. They have a strong hockey culture with their junior teams and college hockey, and a history of minor league hockey. But it's also a small enough market (without being too small) that it would be a huge event for the area. It's also fairly close to the midwest hockey hotbeds.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Nobody cares about junior sports, that's why. Especially in a major league sports town like Boston. The WJC would only be successful in college hockey markets like Grand Forks and Minneapolis. Buffalo was only "successful" because it was 80% Canadians.

The WC are actually the real national teams, not just kids. They would have far more appeal almost everywhere.

I think Omaha would be a great place to host it. They have a strong hockey culture with their junior teams and college hockey, and a history of minor league hockey. But it's also a small enough market (without being too small) that it would be a huge event for the area. It's also fairly close to the midwest hockey hotbeds.
Holding the WC in Omaha would be an unmitigated disaster. It's not so much the ~8 games the US plays that would be the problem, it's the other 56 games that you have to sell tickets to. Also nothing against Omaha but I can't see a lot of fans from Europe making the trip over to vistit Nebraska.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote