HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bryzgalov's Numbers Next Year

View Poll Results: What will Bryz's numbers (save%) look like?
Below .900 4 5.80%
.900-.905 2 2.90%
.905-.910 12 17.39%
.910-.915 17 24.64%
.915-.920 27 39.13%
.920-.925 4 5.80%
Above .925 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I will say .917, I expect him to much more consistent (in a good way) next year.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Not at all. The system in terms of X and Os is fine. Players being sufficiently coached and prepared for the system is a different story. We had a bunch of terribly young and inexperienced players not only playing in the NHL for the first time, but also playing in Laviolette's system for the first time.

Then factor in that several of them were changing lines and positions (Schenn to wing, Read to C).

We made a lot of changes last season (and throughout the season). That was compounded by the fact that many of the guys coming into that new situation were first year NHLers. The coaches simply couldn't afford them the learning curve and personal coaching time that a lone 1-2 rookies or new players might have gotten nor were there a lot of veterans to serve as on ice mentors for the system.

I expect that our forwards will be better defensively solely through the experience of this season. Sprinkle in a few personnel upgrades (as opposed to the huge turnover of last season) and we should be set-up nicely going into next season imo.
Agreed with the exception that a lot of veteran players (both forwards and D) did not play into X and Os.
I truly wish your last statement to be true.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I love how people rip Bryz on here. From January to the end of the season, he was 18-8-2 with a 2.06 Save Percentage and .948 save percentage. He was terrible in the first half of the season, but that's because he was playing too heavy. If his second half numbers are any indication, I think that's the Bryz we'll see this upcoming year. I don't think the .948 Save Percentage is attainable over the full course of season, but .928 to .930 certainly should be.
.928-.930 would be awesome. That would put him with Lundqvist, Quick, Rask and Smith of the goalies this season, only behind Elliott and Schneider in this category.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Breeze 44

I think he'll keep 30...

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I love how people rip Bryz on here. From January to the end of the season, he was 18-8-2 with a 2.06 Save Percentage and .948 save percentage. He was terrible in the first half of the season, but that's because he was playing too heavy. If his second half numbers are any indication, I think that's the Bryz we'll see this upcoming year. I don't think the .948 Save Percentage is attainable over the full course of season, but .928 to .930 certainly should be.
of course your right. These guys who rip him for his cap hit and say he's a waste of money don't look at the big picture. we have him locked up. his cap hit is not going to change for almost a decade. the cap WILL go up. he has adjusted and is providing good goaltending for a team that is defensively inept. the goal situation has been solved. we have "other" issues that need resolution now. one being our younger guys needed a year to gain experience the other is the injuries we didn't expect that **** up our entire season that we can now deal with. The flyers have a lot of ammo in the chamber ready to roll but its the same every year, if you sustain crazy injuries to key players you'll always get screwed. after we make a couple moves and signings this summer i wish us a healthy season next year cause that is the only thing that will save us from an early ousting again. I like how management is thinking and what were doing but a lot has to go right for us to do what we set out to. its just unfortunate for us that the one team that was affected directly by the players we moved is now about to win the cup with those players. As a long time fan who has suffered year after year since childhood i find it unfair but the kings have never won and they put the right pieces together to dominate in the same way a dynasty would dominate. I hope we are lucky enough to meet them in the finals sooner than later.

Last edited by funghoul: 06-05-2012 at 03:26 PM.
funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
tuckrr

we should NOT have lost to NJ, that was the skaters' fault. Thats all I care about, the regular season is just gravy.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
we should NOT have lost to NJ, that was the skaters' fault. Thats all I care about, the regular season is just gravy.
I would say there is shared responsibility between the skaters and coach. Everybody got outclassed.

I don't know if Giroux was exaggerating but he essentially said they weren't ready for NJ and were overconfident. Being overconfident and underestimating your opponent does fall on the players but preparation is definitely a shared responsibility between players and coach.

Having said this, the Flyers were just overmatched by NJ and we didn't have the right personnel b/c of injuries and inexperience to overcome it. It's a learning lesson for everybody. Hopefully, with this group they won't have to be taught too many lessons and be left back.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:43 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I would say there is shared responsibility between the skaters and coach. Everybody got outclassed.

I don't know if Giroux was exaggerating but he essentially said they weren't ready for NJ and were overconfident. Being overconfident and underestimating your opponent does fall on the players but preparation is definitely a shared responsibility between players and coach.

Having said this, the Flyers were just overmatched by NJ and we didn't have the right personnel b/c of injuries and inexperience to overcome it. It's a learning lesson for everybody. Hopefully, with this group they won't have to be taught too many lessons and be left back.....
true, but it is encouraging to see our goalie stand on his head like that (in the playoffs)

i'm pretty confident that with a better defense, we don't have to worry about the netminder (the regular season isnt what i care about)

Old
06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
You and I have different definitions of "standing on his head."

See: Pittsburgh series.

06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
true, but it is encouraging to see our goalie stand on his head like that (in the playoffs)

i'm pretty confident that with a better defense, we don't have to worry about the netminder (the regular season isnt what i care about)
I don't think too many people agree with you dude. i do tho.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
.928-.930 would be awesome. That would put him with Lundqvist, Quick, Rask and Smith of the goalies this season, only behind Elliott and Schneider in this category.
I'll admit that I always try to find the positive in a player. With Bryzgalov, he really was superb from January on. I know .928 to .930 save percentage would be off the chart good, I also look at the second half of the season and he really was superb. Now that the first season in a new city is under his belt and what the expectations are, I really believe Bryzgalov is going to shine his second year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:45 PM
s3x

.912 2.59 34

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Unless we adopt a different style of play (defensive oriented) it would be hard to imagine a save pct over .900.
Which is funny.. Because he finished the season with a .909 sv pct with this current style of play..

I guess you can say your #lavipondhockeyfail was actually a #lavipondhockeysuccess

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
You and I have different definitions of "standing on his head."

See: Pittsburgh series.
that series was just something else. completely open hockey.

If you're suggesting thats bryzgalov's fault than i have nothing to say

Old
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
I expect this deal to keep getting better and better.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
that series was just something else. completely open hockey.

If you're suggesting thats bryzgalov's fault than i have nothing to say
Some of the goals he let in were truly abysmal, and should have been stopped regardless of the style being played.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Some of the goals he let in were truly abysmal, and should have been stopped regardless of the style being played.
That is true, but Bryz needs his confidence and playing that open style he loses it quickly so he lets in a lot more bad goals.

flyersfan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Amateur Hour

I'm guessing Claude Giroux would go with the "Above .925" option....

http://deadspin.com/5916038/claude-g...alie-next-year

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
...But, but he's just a misunderstood underachiever for (X) reason.

In regards to the thread: I expect him to be better, but I have no idea why. Perhaps because he cannot do much worse without losing his job for the year. I don't believe personnel influences SV% that much. I don't know many men that I consider "men" who take a year to adjust to a job.

I hope he gets his head together, because that's his only bridge out of the mess that he is in net.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
bad goals happen, did fleury let in some fluky ones?

should the penguins abandon him, or be happy he won a CUP?

edit: when you dwell on the bad ones, it only makes him play worse. (and make you look like you're rooting against him)
Helping him shake off the 'bad' ones is what a supportive fanbase does.

Last edited by tuckrr: 06-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old
06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:

Vokoun.

Quote:
edit: when you dwell on the bad ones, it only makes him play worse. (and make you look like you're rooting against him)
When Fish dwells on the bad ones it makes him play worse. Fish, what is this mind power you have and can I learn it?

...and inner strength such as "ignoring the fanbase" is what Bryz has to master. Fans don't have the responsibility of handholding. Bryz can put on his big boy pants.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:22 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Vokoun.
oh well that changes everything I think that speaks more to Johnson

Old
06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
oh well that changes everything I think that speaks more to Johnson
Go over to the Penguins board and observe the rationale behind the Vokoun signing.

They aren't happy with MAF, regardless of a cup he won them. If a guy can be an upgrade, or at least a safety netting for him, they are happy. They should be happy with the signing. At times MAF is remarkably off his game.

I have seen the converse where MAF dominates.

Also: There were hiccups about the Flyers inquiring about Vokoun as well. Wonder why?

Old
06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
goodrev

Snider has said that defence is a priority this summer... Knowing that, I can not see us not replacing Pronger with a stud because we know we are not winning a cup with this group as it is.

I predict Bryz will have a bounce back year next year... This is actually the year I thought he would have had this year before Pronger went down.

GP 65 W 38 GAA 2.27 SA% .923

wins could go either way.

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

Being slightly less awful than Fleury was in that series isn't an accomplishment.

Do you think his first round performance is acceptable? Good?

Quote:
He had the fans' full support at the beginning of the year. When he had the fans' full support, he pissed it away by sucking for a long time.

This is the NHL, not Kindergarden. Successfully showing up every day for a year without choking to death on your snack time Cheerios doesn't result in an automatic A++ just to pad self esteem. Play badly and you hear about it; work hard and play well and you'll be appreciated. Examples: Hartnell, Briere. Those two have endured a lot of criticism during their stint in Philly. They've responded by working through it. If Bryz is so weak he collapses and gets worse in the face of adversity then he isn't the right man for the job. If our goalie needs an entire city to hold his hand and console him every time he has a boo-boo then the team won't ever win a Cup with him in net.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote