HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LUONGO THREAD (Fan 960 in Calgary: Luongo to Toronto done at draft)

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
KrazyCanuck19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I will laugh my ass off if the Canucks trade Luongo to Florida for a nice return, Toronto goes into the season with the tandem of Reimer and Scrivens, and the Leafs miss the playoffs again.
Would love it if that happens.

Old
The Messenger

Quote:
I will laugh my ass off if the Canucks trade Luongo to Florida for a nice return, Toronto goes into the season with the tandem of Reimer and Scrivens, and the Leafs miss the playoffs again.
Yesterday it was Tampa, today Florida keep swinging for the fences.

Old
eyeball11

Quote:
Soooo, we get another good pick and don't gut our current group? Gosh darned!!

Old
06-05-2012, 07:05 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Shame View Post
First of all, I've never said he was going to suck. And being on the Canucks hardly affects my evaluation of him like you contend.

But, for every list of goalies you list that survives until they are 40 (and for many of them it is arguable if they are as good in their late 30s as they were in their early 30s), there is an equal list of goalies who faded as they got older.

You give Grant Fuhr as an example. But look at his stats. At 36 and 37 he played 39 and 23 games, respectively with .892 and .856 gaa. If Luongo is playing like that in 3 years when he is 36, will he be worth >$6M and a cap hit over $5M?

Patrick Roy was great up until the end, but he only played until he was 37... Is 4 more years of Luongo worth mortgaging significant parts of a teams future for?I don't think you can say for sure what Luongo will do in the future. But generally as players age their skills decrease. Some players can adapt and overcome, but others can't.
It is easy for a team to take a risk on an aging goalie if they don't have to give up any assets... but now many old goalies are traded when the risk may potential outweigh the gain?
I don't know if the bolded helps your case. I would have paid a lot to get 4 years of Patrick Roy. I'm not saying Luongo is anywhere close to Roy but man, that is a risk I would have taken.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 50
If Luongo goes to the Leafs, the Leafs will lose a player/prospect/pick that they really hate losing - otherwise, no deal.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:06 PM
TOML

Quote:
Also that Florida is very interested
Given Florida's extensive trading history with Vancouver, you'd think they'd be the frontrunner for Luongo. Luongo, afterall, never wanted to leave Florida in the first place. He just wanted to be PAID.

But it's tough to say what Florida would offer. TO may offer more in terms of picks and prospects because that's Burke's style, but Luongo may prefer Florida as a destination. Hmmm...

TOML

Old
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Lol at 'Nucks fans.

No other options in net, no blue chips in the system (Gardiner says Hi), and Burke's job depends on it.

No sense in arguing this pile of genius.. haha
Lol at leaf fans.

Luongo for Komisarek and a 2nd, goalies don't have good value in trades, Burke's gonna go after Vokoun.

Both fanbases have been guilty of saying stupid ****.

Old
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I can say one thing for sure, Vancouver is certainly one team that doesn't have a young D-man with Gardiner's potential.

In fact, outside of Schroeder, who do you have that promises any significance at the NHL level?

Stop talking about things you haven't the slightest clue about.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:07 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
My first post in this thread shows a number of legitimate starters being traded for fair value to the receiving team. Name some of the ripoffs.
Pretty much all of them.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Yesterday it was Tampa, today Florida keep swinging for the fences.
Either way, if Luongo doesn't get traded to Toronto, their goaltending looks shaky next season. Even if you sign a FA like Harding, you still haven't acquired a proven goaltender, let alone an elite one. Just like the Hodgson trade, Burke gets left out again

Although Carlyle's system could boost Reimer/Scriven's numbers, I doubt they are ready to take on a full season of play and get their team into the playoffs yet.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:08 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
they're a mediocre team who had very few inexpereinced players doing antyhing substantial last year and who have failed to meet expectations in a big way every year since Burke took over.
That right there is pretty damn close to "crapping all over" criteria. But whatever dude. Must be fun kicking a team when they're down. We'll be competitive again soon enough, so I guess get it out while you can.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Burrows Bite

no point in this piising contest

Old
06-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Pretty much all of them.
Lets hear them. Challange us

Old
Cosmic Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't know if the bolded helps your case. I would have paid a lot to get 4 years of Patrick Roy. I'm not saying Luongo is anywhere close to Roy but man, that is a risk I would have taken.
But it is a risk you would take when you are a rebuilding team that has no serious shot at going far in the playoffs? And by trading for him, you give up serious amounts of your future?

I'm ALL FOR getting Luongo if the price isn't too high and doesn't handcuff our future. But at this point Toronto is too far away from contending to give up the future to get a short term replacement like Luongo. He doesn't add enough to this team to make them good...

Old
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Soooo, we get another good pick and don't gut our current group? Gosh darned!!
So your saying you is you'd rather miss the playoffs? Seems legit.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
I can say one thing for sure, Vancouver is certainly one team that doesn't have a young D-man with Gardiner's potential.

In fact, outside of Schroeder, who do you have that promises any significance at the NHL level?

Jensen is our best prospect, not Schroeder, IMO.
Canucks have decent defensemen prospects in the system; Connauton, Corrado, and Sauve being the most promising. But we don't need any of these players to step into the NHL any time soon, with players like Garrison and Schultz expressing interest in signing here, and the potential return for Luongo.

Old
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Shame View Post
But it is a risk you would take when you are a rebuilding team that has no serious shot at going far in the playoffs? And by trading for him, you give up serious amounts of your future?

I'm ALL FOR getting Luongo if the price isn't too high and doesn't handcuff our future. But at this point Toronto is too far away from contending to give up the future to get a short term replacement like Luongo. He doesn't add enough to this team to make them good...
Good and fair point, but then why all the interest from Leaf fans?

Old
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
Lol at leaf fans.

Luongo for Komisarek and a 2nd, goalies don't have good value in trades, Burke's gonna go after Vokoun.

Both fanbases have been guilty of saying stupid ****.
I've yet to come up with a ridiculous proposal, as given all of the factors surrounding the situation, it's pretty hard to guage the value of a player with that contract/situation/reputation/etc.

The best part is, if you asked Calgary fans what they were getting in return for Phaneuf, it wouldn't be what they got. So people should probably leave the trading and valuations to those who know what their talking about.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:

Most of us are really high on Kevin Connauton. I'm not saying he is as good as Gardiner, but the kid has potential.

Old
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Wow already almost 1000 posts...

Old
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Either way, if Luongo doesn't get traded to Toronto, their goaltending looks shaky next season. Even if you sign a FA like Harding, you still haven't acquired a proven goaltender, let alone an elite one. Just like the Hodgson trade, Burke gets left out again

Although Carlyle's system could boost Reimer/Scriven's numbers, I doubt they are ready to take on a full season of play and get their team into the playoffs yet.
Accurate assessment. Apparently there are rumblings that Burke didn't pursue Vokoun hard was because his primary option is still in play. I definitely take that with a grain of salt though. At this point I have no idea what he's thinking. It's bizarre.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:14 PM
KrazyCanuck19

Quote:

That will change July 1st when Justin Schultz signs in Van :p

Old
Cogburn

Quote:
I've yet to come up with a ridiculous proposal, as given all of the factors surrounding the situation, it's pretty hard to guage the value of a player with that contract/situation/reputation/etc.

The best part is, if you asked Calgary fans what they were getting in return for Phaneuf, it wouldn't be what they got. So people should probably leave the trading and valuations to those who know what their talking about.
Phaneuf signed a huge contract and his play dropped like a stone in still water. He was traded at a low point in his career, where as Vancouver has been the picture of consistancy year to year.

Old
Cosmic Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
So your saying you is you'd rather miss the playoffs? Seems legit.
I'd rather build a team that is good enough where getting a goalie might actually make a significant different.

Rather than throwing a good goalie onto a bad team that was just made significantly worse by making the trade.

If that means missing the playoffs (which is definitely a possibility, but hardly assured), then yes.

Old
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That right there is pretty damn close to "crapping all over" criteria. But whatever dude. Must be fun kicking a team when they're down. We'll be competitive again soon enough, so I guess get it out while you can.
Will the Leafs be competitive again soon enough?

Why? What's on the horizon that's better than what's currently there?

Are Kessel and Phaneuf going to get better?

Crosby signing next Summer?

Truth be told I would sure as hell hope they're competitive again soon enough, it's embarrasing that they've done what they've done since the lock out and as a habs fan I would much prefer a leafs team that provides some semblance of excitement for those 6 games a year, as opposed to the horrible 18 periods currently provided every year.

But you know what? We've all been hearing this every offseason for going on 5 years plus now. Great prospects, great drafting, great veterans, great coach, great GM.

None of it's true, wasn't then and it isn't now. For every "amazing" thing the Leafs fans go on and on about their team having moving forward there are many other teams in the league who have that, and more.

Leafs fans bring it on themselves with their bizarre arrogance every offseason and the way they insult other fan bases who are doing better than they are. Sure there are many level headed reasonable thinking fans but they just get drowned out by the arrogant loud mouths who embarrass themselves by doing things like mocking Senators fans for thinking their Calder Cup run meant something last year and then acting as though the Calder Cup means so much this year when it's the Leafs.

Closed Thread