HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

The Stalberg situation

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Stalberg's points against CBJ most certainly do count, but you're kidding yourself if you're expecting him to be able to match that production year after year.

8 goals in 6 games is a Stamkos-like pace. Stalberg most definitely isn't capable of repeating that. I'll be shocked if he manages 4 goals in 6 games against them ever again.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Stalberg's points against CBJ most certainly do count, but you're kidding yourself if you're expecting him to be able to match that production year after year.

8 goals in 6 games is a Stamkos-like pace. Stalberg most definitely isn't capable of repeating that. I'll be shocked if he manages 4 goals in 6 games against them ever again.
You can only play who's in front of you every night. The CBJ thing is a retarded excuse to dismiss his points. Every player on the Hawks loaded up on points via non-playoff teams. Kane's percentage was the highest.

I don't care if he gets 8 goals in 6 games again in his career. Can he consistently be a 50 point a year player on this team? Possibly and the task would be obtainable with some PP time. I would also love to see what another coach does with him. Q seemed to get the picture later in the year. Kept Stalberg/Kruger/Sharp together while the team made a nice run without Toews.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
yeah, he isn't going to get better...all NHL players plateau at 40+ points in their second full season, right?

In Sharps third full NHL season he had 20 goals and 15 assists. Glad you weren't GM when that happened.
There you go, putting words in my mouth again.

I said he isn't going to get much better. I didn't say he wasn't going to get better.

You really think he's going to be a 60pt 30/30 guy?

For every Sharp, there are 150 Tyler Arnasons.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
There you go, putting words in my mouth again.

I said he isn't going to get much better. I didn't say he wasn't going to get better.

You really think he's going to be a 60pt 30/30 guy?

For every Sharp, there are 150 Tyler Arnasons.
with proper icetime, and line mates, yes I think he can be a 30/30 guy.

Nobody thought he could be a 20/20 guy last summer.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I see Stalberg as pretty much what he is now, and that's fine, a 20 goal/40 point left wing with speed, valuable player. I'd be pretty surpised to see him hit 30 goals but you never know. He'd need to cherry pick more, doesn't have the shot to succeed on the PP or in a cycle offense IMO.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I see Stalberg as pretty much what he is now, and that's fine, a 20 goal/40 point left wing with speed, valuable player. I'd be pretty surpised to see him hit 30 goals but you never know. He'd need to cherry pick more, doesn't have the shot to succeed on the PP or in a cycle offense IMO.
we may never know lol

Old
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
we may never know lol
Agreed that when you are as bad the Hawks were, everyone gets a chance. Mayers in front of the net, Stalberg, etc. It motivates the stars to do better too.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Agreed that when you are as bad the Hawks were, everyone gets a chance. Mayers in front of the net, Stalberg, etc. It motivates the stars to do better too.
Q showed he was out of ideas when he put Montador on the wing on the PP, yet never tried Stalberg.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Q showed he was out of ideas when he put Montador on the wing on the PP, yet never tried Stalberg.
FWIW, he said recently ice time would be used as a reward for good play and taken away from those who struggle. We shall see. Montador had a nice run on the PP, but yeah, it was fleeting and Vik should have gotten the same extended look. I'd basically leave Stalberg in the neutral zone and try to spring him on a break. Once everyone is chasing him, you've severely delayed any type of shot blocking setup in the defensive zone.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Sarava

Quote:
FWIW, he said recently ice time would be used as a reward for good play and taken away from those who struggle. We shall see. Montador had a nice run on the PP, but yeah, it was fleeting and Vik should have gotten the same extended look. I'd basically leave Stalberg in the neutral zone and try to spring him on a break. Once everyone is chasing him, you've severely delayed any type of shot blocking setup in the defensive zone.
And that's part of the problem. How about they actually build a solid and effective 4th line...like the L.A. Kings have shown the past month - instead of using the 4th line as punishment for players in Q's doghouse?

Old
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
And that's part of the problem. How about they actually build a solid and effective 4th line...like the L.A. Kings have shown the past month - instead of using the 4th line as punishment for players in Q's doghouse?
Yeah, Carcillo is a good start. Leave him there. Bring in Slater, play Shaw on the right side, that's a deadly 4th line with 3 10 goal scorers and a lot of hitting IMO.

BUT, regarding the reward system, I like it so far as putting a guy like Kane on the third line for a few shifts if he just doesn't have it on a given night, no more coddling, take the diapers off.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Yeah, Carcillo is a good start. Leave him there. Bring in Slater, play Shaw on the right side, that's a deadly 4th line with 3 10 goal scorers and a lot of hitting IMO.

BUT, regarding the reward system, I like it so far as putting a guy like Kane on the third line for a few shifts if he just doesn't have it on a given night, no more coddling, take the diapers off.
Then you're messing with the 3rd line. Q does this over and over and it drives me batty. If a player is playing bad enough that he needs to be punished, then healthy scratch him. Yes even if his name is Patrick Kane.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I wouldn't bother putting him on the 3rd line...he'll probably just take the shift off.

Do what Tortorella does and just let the player sit on the bench and watch.

I agree with Sarava...putting a top 6 player in the bottom 6 as "punishment" is completely counterproductive.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:46 PM
coldsteelonice84

I wouldn't be at all opposed to scratching a struggling top 6er.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
I wouldn't be at all opposed to scratching a struggling top 6er.
Q doesn't do this with the core. We have all seen Kane, Hossa and Sharp be really bad for stretches and nothing happens.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Q doesn't do this with the core. We have all seen Kane, Hossa and Sharp be really bad for stretches and nothing happens.
When Q says he holds players accountable, he means players that weren't on the top six to begin with.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
If CBJ or Edmonton (throw away game anyway) come up during a slump, that would be the time.

Old
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
with proper icetime, and line mates, yes I think he can be a 30/30 guy.

Nobody thought he could be a 20/20 guy last summer.
Actually, I was one of the few posters who stood up for him on a constant basis. I believed he could be a 40pt player, and an OK 3rd liner.

I don't believe he will ever hit 30goals,....maybe 30 assists playing with Toews and Kane all year. I could see him being a 50pt player, at the very most.

Old
06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and with another 0.5 ppg season, he would get a lot of money as UFA... that's why I started this topic.

I would try to extend him before the season 1 year 1.5 million at best. I'm sure Stalberg wouldn't sign it.

I wouldn't want him with 2.2+ million if he "only" puts up 40 pts at best with a bad PO performance

Old
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
and with another 0.5 ppg season, he would get a lot of money as UFA... that's why I started this topic.

I would try to extend him before the season 1 year 1.5 million at best. I'm sure Stalberg wouldn't sign it.

I wouldn't want him with 2.2+ million if he "only" puts up 40 pts at best with a bad PO performance
Only way Hawks get him for less than 3 is a multi-year deal before the season. It would have to be a gamble on Bowman's part. If he signed for 2.9 per he may still draw interest in a trade down the road.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

2.2 million is nothing. Anyone who puts up 40 points with any kind of regularity will get over 2.2 million.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
BobbyJet

Last season was certainly a pivotal year for Stalberg as a Blackhawk and he passed quite impressively. Now the same doubters want to trade him or force him away by offering him an insulting contract. If the guy has improved so much in 2 years in the NHL, who is to say that progress won't continue as he approaches his prime?
I, for one, couldn't imagine where this team would have been without him last season. Careful what you wish for.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 06-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Last season was certainly a pivotal year for Stalberg as a Blackhawk and he passed quite impressively. Now the same doubters want to trade him or force him away by offering him an insulting contract. If the guy has improved so much in 2 years in the NHL, who is to say that progress won't continue as he approaches his prime?
I, for one, couldn't imagine where this team would have been without him last season. Careful what you wish for.
if he shows more improvement this season, then its time to consider signing him.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Actually, I was one of the few posters who stood up for him on a constant basis. I believed he could be a 40pt player, and an OK 3rd liner.

I don't believe he will ever hit 30goals,....maybe 30 assists playing with Toews and Kane all year. I could see him being a 50pt player, at the very most.
so at 20+ goals and 50+ points, is that not what we would expect from a second liner?

Old
06-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
if he shows more improvement this season, then its time to consider signing him.
this. No reason to pay Stalberg yet.

Closed Thread