HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

The Stalberg situation

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
  #51
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,316
vCash: 500
Stalberg's points against CBJ most certainly do count, but you're kidding yourself if you're expecting him to be able to match that production year after year.

8 goals in 6 games is a Stamkos-like pace. Stalberg most definitely isn't capable of repeating that. I'll be shocked if he manages 4 goals in 6 games against them ever again.

Sevanston is online now  
Old
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
  #52
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Stalberg's points against CBJ most certainly do count, but you're kidding yourself if you're expecting him to be able to match that production year after year.

8 goals in 6 games is a Stamkos-like pace. Stalberg most definitely isn't capable of repeating that. I'll be shocked if he manages 4 goals in 6 games against them ever again.
You can only play who's in front of you every night. The CBJ thing is a retarded excuse to dismiss his points. Every player on the Hawks loaded up on points via non-playoff teams. Kane's percentage was the highest.

I don't care if he gets 8 goals in 6 games again in his career. Can he consistently be a 50 point a year player on this team? Possibly and the task would be obtainable with some PP time. I would also love to see what another coach does with him. Q seemed to get the picture later in the year. Kept Stalberg/Kruger/Sharp together while the team made a nice run without Toews.

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
  #53
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
yeah, he isn't going to get better...all NHL players plateau at 40+ points in their second full season, right?

In Sharps third full NHL season he had 20 goals and 15 assists. Glad you weren't GM when that happened.
There you go, putting words in my mouth again.

I said he isn't going to get much better. I didn't say he wasn't going to get better.

You really think he's going to be a 60pt 30/30 guy?

For every Sharp, there are 150 Tyler Arnasons.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
  #54
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
There you go, putting words in my mouth again.

I said he isn't going to get much better. I didn't say he wasn't going to get better.

You really think he's going to be a 60pt 30/30 guy?

For every Sharp, there are 150 Tyler Arnasons.
with proper icetime, and line mates, yes I think he can be a 30/30 guy.

Nobody thought he could be a 20/20 guy last summer.

Rexy is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
  #55
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
I see Stalberg as pretty much what he is now, and that's fine, a 20 goal/40 point left wing with speed, valuable player. I'd be pretty surpised to see him hit 30 goals but you never know. He'd need to cherry pick more, doesn't have the shot to succeed on the PP or in a cycle offense IMO.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:21 PM
  #56
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I see Stalberg as pretty much what he is now, and that's fine, a 20 goal/40 point left wing with speed, valuable player. I'd be pretty surpised to see him hit 30 goals but you never know. He'd need to cherry pick more, doesn't have the shot to succeed on the PP or in a cycle offense IMO.
we may never know lol

Rexy is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
  #57
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
we may never know lol
Agreed that when you are as bad the Hawks were, everyone gets a chance. Mayers in front of the net, Stalberg, etc. It motivates the stars to do better too.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
  #58
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed that when you are as bad the Hawks were, everyone gets a chance. Mayers in front of the net, Stalberg, etc. It motivates the stars to do better too.
Q showed he was out of ideas when he put Montador on the wing on the PP, yet never tried Stalberg.

Rexy is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
  #59
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
Q showed he was out of ideas when he put Montador on the wing on the PP, yet never tried Stalberg.
FWIW, he said recently ice time would be used as a reward for good play and taken away from those who struggle. We shall see. Montador had a nice run on the PP, but yeah, it was fleeting and Vik should have gotten the same extended look. I'd basically leave Stalberg in the neutral zone and try to spring him on a break. Once everyone is chasing him, you've severely delayed any type of shot blocking setup in the defensive zone.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
  #60
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
FWIW, he said recently ice time would be used as a reward for good play and taken away from those who struggle. We shall see. Montador had a nice run on the PP, but yeah, it was fleeting and Vik should have gotten the same extended look. I'd basically leave Stalberg in the neutral zone and try to spring him on a break. Once everyone is chasing him, you've severely delayed any type of shot blocking setup in the defensive zone.
And that's part of the problem. How about they actually build a solid and effective 4th line...like the L.A. Kings have shown the past month - instead of using the 4th line as punishment for players in Q's doghouse?

Sarava is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
  #61
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
And that's part of the problem. How about they actually build a solid and effective 4th line...like the L.A. Kings have shown the past month - instead of using the 4th line as punishment for players in Q's doghouse?
Yeah, Carcillo is a good start. Leave him there. Bring in Slater, play Shaw on the right side, that's a deadly 4th line with 3 10 goal scorers and a lot of hitting IMO.

BUT, regarding the reward system, I like it so far as putting a guy like Kane on the third line for a few shifts if he just doesn't have it on a given night, no more coddling, take the diapers off.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
  #62
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, Carcillo is a good start. Leave him there. Bring in Slater, play Shaw on the right side, that's a deadly 4th line with 3 10 goal scorers and a lot of hitting IMO.

BUT, regarding the reward system, I like it so far as putting a guy like Kane on the third line for a few shifts if he just doesn't have it on a given night, no more coddling, take the diapers off.
Then you're messing with the 3rd line. Q does this over and over and it drives me batty. If a player is playing bad enough that he needs to be punished, then healthy scratch him. Yes even if his name is Patrick Kane.

Sarava is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
  #63
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,577
vCash: 500
I wouldn't bother putting him on the 3rd line...he'll probably just take the shift off.

Do what Tortorella does and just let the player sit on the bench and watch.

I agree with Sarava...putting a top 6 player in the bottom 6 as "punishment" is completely counterproductive.

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 12:46 PM
  #64
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
I wouldn't be at all opposed to scratching a struggling top 6er.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
  #65
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I wouldn't be at all opposed to scratching a struggling top 6er.
Q doesn't do this with the core. We have all seen Kane, Hossa and Sharp be really bad for stretches and nothing happens.

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 01:25 PM
  #66
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Q doesn't do this with the core. We have all seen Kane, Hossa and Sharp be really bad for stretches and nothing happens.
When Q says he holds players accountable, he means players that weren't on the top six to begin with.

Rexy is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  #67
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Q doesn't do this with the core. We have all seen Kane, Hossa and Sharp be really bad for stretches and nothing happens.
If CBJ or Edmonton (throw away game anyway) come up during a slump, that would be the time.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
  #68
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
with proper icetime, and line mates, yes I think he can be a 30/30 guy.

Nobody thought he could be a 20/20 guy last summer.
Actually, I was one of the few posters who stood up for him on a constant basis. I believed he could be a 40pt player, and an OK 3rd liner.

I don't believe he will ever hit 30goals,....maybe 30 assists playing with Toews and Kane all year. I could see him being a 50pt player, at the very most.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
  #69
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,834
vCash: 500
and with another 0.5 ppg season, he would get a lot of money as UFA... that's why I started this topic.

I would try to extend him before the season 1 year 1.5 million at best. I'm sure Stalberg wouldn't sign it.

I wouldn't want him with 2.2+ million if he "only" puts up 40 pts at best with a bad PO performance

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
  #70
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
and with another 0.5 ppg season, he would get a lot of money as UFA... that's why I started this topic.

I would try to extend him before the season 1 year 1.5 million at best. I'm sure Stalberg wouldn't sign it.

I wouldn't want him with 2.2+ million if he "only" puts up 40 pts at best with a bad PO performance
Only way Hawks get him for less than 3 is a multi-year deal before the season. It would have to be a gamble on Bowman's part. If he signed for 2.9 per he may still draw interest in a trade down the road.

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
  #71
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
and with another 0.5 ppg season, he would get a lot of money as UFA... that's why I started this topic.

I would try to extend him before the season 1 year 1.5 million at best. I'm sure Stalberg wouldn't sign it.

I wouldn't want him with 2.2+ million if he "only" puts up 40 pts at best with a bad PO performance
2.2 million is nothing. Anyone who puts up 40 points with any kind of regularity will get over 2.2 million.

WarriorofTime is online now  
Old
06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
  #72
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,047
vCash: 500
Last season was certainly a pivotal year for Stalberg as a Blackhawk and he passed quite impressively. Now the same doubters want to trade him or force him away by offering him an insulting contract. If the guy has improved so much in 2 years in the NHL, who is to say that progress won't continue as he approaches his prime?
I, for one, couldn't imagine where this team would have been without him last season. Careful what you wish for.


Last edited by BobbyJet: 06-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
BobbyJet is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
  #73
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Last season was certainly a pivotal year for Stalberg as a Blackhawk and he passed quite impressively. Now the same doubters want to trade him or force him away by offering him an insulting contract. If the guy has improved so much in 2 years in the NHL, who is to say that progress won't continue as he approaches his prime?
I, for one, couldn't imagine where this team would have been without him last season. Careful what you wish for.
if he shows more improvement this season, then its time to consider signing him.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
  #74
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Actually, I was one of the few posters who stood up for him on a constant basis. I believed he could be a 40pt player, and an OK 3rd liner.

I don't believe he will ever hit 30goals,....maybe 30 assists playing with Toews and Kane all year. I could see him being a 50pt player, at the very most.
so at 20+ goals and 50+ points, is that not what we would expect from a second liner?

Rexy is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 05:26 AM
  #75
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
if he shows more improvement this season, then its time to consider signing him.
this. No reason to pay Stalberg yet.

Bubba88 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.