Notices

Stars sign G Christopher Nihlstorp

Old
06-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Full release: http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:14 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Strange move. I know depth is good but this really seems like it'll hurt Besko's development.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:24 PM
vofty

vCash: 500
I think the bigger hit to Besko's development was when they drafted Campbell. It seemed at that point he wasn't viewed as a long term solution.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:29 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I agree completely, I guess I never understood why it has to be one or the other. They want internal competition.. well regulating their 2nd round pick to no AHL games once Campbell came up, and then potentially moving him to the ECHL in favor of some 28 year old guy (effectively tanking his development )doesn't seem like a way to facilitate that.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:38 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I agree completely, I guess I never understood why it has to be one or the other. They want internal competition.. well regulating their 2nd round pick to no AHL games once Campbell came up, and then potentially moving him to the ECHL in favor of some 28 year old guy (effectively tanking his development )doesn't seem like a way to facilitate that.
I think you're being a bit dramatic.

Richard Bachman turned 22 year old in July of 2009, and he spent most of that following season in the ECHL.

Tyler Beskorowany just turned 22 years old in April. If he spends next season mostly in the ECHL, it's not bad for his development. I think you can certainly blame much of last year on poor coaching, but it's pretty clear his confidence was shot. He's not starting from scratch, and he'll actually get to play a ton should he go to the ECHL next year (a great development league for goalies it seems).

Nihlstorp is going to be a one year experiment in the AHL. He's not going to toil in the minors for years to get a shot. At his age, it's NHL or back to Europe where he can be successful.

At absolute worst, he pushes Beskorowany out of the AHL for a single year. In that time, Besko gets a ton of games to rebuild his confidence. It's not a wasted year by any stretch of the imagination.

The following year is likely NHL or bust for the Swede which means he's either pushing Bachman out or returning to Europe in all likelihood.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Starsdude

They never seemed sold on Bachman. One of many issues with Gully was how he used Lets way too much at the end despite bachman being a top half back-up. Bachman's make-up is way more Moog than Valley where size matters. My guess since goalies have so little value in trade is he is an add-on to a deal or simply stashed in AHL on a 2 way deal. He earned the one-way but I doubt they give it to him. As a RFA, if someone wants him, he is available as of today.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:08 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think you're being a bit dramatic.

Richard Bachman turned 22 year old in July of 2009, and he spent most of that following season in the ECHL.

Tyler Beskorowany just turned 22 years old in April. If he spends next season mostly in the ECHL, it's not bad for his development. I think you can certainly blame much of last year on poor coaching, but it's pretty clear his confidence was shot. He's not starting from scratch, and he'll actually get to play a ton should he go to the ECHL next year (a great development league for goalies it seems).

Nihlstorp is going to be a one year experiment in the AHL. He's not going to toil in the minors for years to get a shot. At his age, it's NHL or back to Europe where he can be successful.

At absolute worst, he pushes Beskorowany out of the AHL for a single year. In that time, Besko gets a ton of games to rebuild his confidence. It's not a wasted year by any stretch of the imagination.

The following year is likely NHL or bust for the Swede which means he's either pushing Bachman out or returning to Europe in all likelihood.
I agree Besko is still young and has time. But it just feels since the day we drafted Campbell, Besko was removed from the Stars long term plan.

I supposed the possibility also exists that they plan on shopping Bachman this offseason to a team like Columbus.

Old
06-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Im excited to see this guy play in NA.

So if Nihlstorp plays well at camp, and trade becomes likely, who would you rather see traded?
Bach's who has shown he can compete in the NHL, or Besko who has no NHL experience and might not have any value outside or organization?

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
joe89

Hey guys, I think you got a good goalie added to your system. I'd say he's about equally good to Viktor Fasth that will be the backup for Anaheim next season.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
BigG44

I think piqued probably nailed the situation the best so far.

This is about Richard Bachman and potentially trading him. However, rather than worrying about getting it done at the beginning of the season, I think this opens up Bachman to be trade deadline asset to land Dallas a useful player.

Mike Smith played 44 games with Dallas over 2 seasons before they traded him at the deadline. I think this, like piqued mentioned, would be a smart blueprint to follow in this situation.

5 months in the AHL before jumping to the NHL would probably be very beneficial to Nihlstorp. That would then allow Campbell to take the reigns as a starter in February (in the AHL) ... and hopefully set up for a run in the playoffs for the baby Stars as well.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Jocke

He's a good goalie. Led his team to win the SEL championship last year.

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:55 PM
TrillMike

Interesting signing. At the moment, I'm not too high on trading Bachman unless it's like what a different poster mentioned (Richards-esque).

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
I'm sold.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
I'm sold.
On green Batman? Is nothing sacred?

Anybody else laugh at the official twitter's pronunciation?

Does one say the K in Kneel-storp?

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
I'm sold.

Looks awesome.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
I'm sold.

That is amazing. I now want him to make the big club. Totally cool theme and color.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

For what it's worth, if anything, in the numerous times prior to this season where I've had conversations with ranking people in the Dallas organization (it wasn't exactly Joe Nieuwendyk, but it wasn't any janitors either, that's all I'll say about that), it was primarily focused on the youth and the future (as you might have guessed) and there was always curious little mention of Richard Bachman.

Every organization pimps its own players, junior teams will tell you their undrafted overager with 14 points in 62 games is "just a late-bloomer with lots of intangibles and they wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NHL someday", AHL teams will tell you that a goalie they signed out of college who's now 27 and a backup without an NHL contract is "just waiting for the right situation where he can grow into an NHL role", NHL teams tell you about the potential of every draft pick and that they have "high hopes for ______" (except for when you guys acquired Mikhail Stefanovich, they couldn't care less about him)

That's their job, it's good PR, it's good relations, whatever. I'd be lying if I said Bachman's name never came up in these conversations, but if he was ever elaborated on, if there was ever a sentence that contained both the words "Bachman" and "starter" it must have slipped my mind. Again, I don't consider myself a Stars insider by any stretch - some nice connections because it's a class organization, but I'm not breaking any blockbusters (though I pressed hard when Richards was on his way out, I wanted that one ) but his name was curiously absent from many discussions. Whether that's an indictment, I don't know, maybe it's found money that Bachman was able to beat out Raycroft and be a decent backup, maybe the plan was to groom him to be a starter and I just didn't ask the right questions or talk to the right people...

But off the top of my head, since Bachman's awesome freshman year at CC, the Stars have invested their top pick in two different drafts on goaltenders, brought in a 26-year-old, former #2 overall pick in a deal that saw you ship out a prospect that was a first-rounder himself (Vishnevskiy) and now signed this Nihlstrop fellow (to a lesser extent)...how much of that is organizational depth, how much is competition and how much is attempting to make someone expendable? Just thinking aloud...

I'd say those are my two cents, but I'm probably over-valuing it...

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Agreed Mike. You saw the same thing before Neal was traded.... he was curiously absent whenever Nieuwendyk talked about the young players.

There's no doubt the organization has a bedrock belief that you need a goalie with size.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:33 AM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Hmm interesting, maybe a trade is yet to come? Or Besko is going out the door like some are speculating about.

Last edited by SonicSpeedDash: 06-06-2012 at 01:02 AM.
SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:03 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Thanks for that insight Mike. Definitely adds to the theory that this might be a precursor to a Bachman trade at the draft or the deadline. I'd prefer the deadline, but I could see a team like Columbus trading for him at the draft.

If it does happen, I just hope we can get a somewhat significant piece back, not just recoup a draft pick we used on him years ago.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:13 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Hoping he's part of a package, namely to Chicago.

And soon, too. If some of those HF proposals came true... (Ribs + Bachman for Bolland + Pirri + 18th)

I don't get the whole "size" thing. That kind of bothers me, if it's that big of a deal to GMJN. Not everyone in the organization can be over 6'2".

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I don't get the whole "size" thing. That kind of bothers me, if it's that big of a deal to GMJN. Not everyone in the organization can be over 6'2".
This worries me as well. I can understand why size is valued, but it seems like it is becoming an obsession (IF all this speculation is accurate).

If the Biz is going to be moved, I have a hard time picturing him getting a reasonable return since Luongo, Thomas, Kipper and Bernier may all be traded. He played well last year, but not many teams will put much value on a guy projected to be a 1b/backup.

Last edited by Mr Misty: 06-06-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:12 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Hoping he's part of a package, namely to Chicago.

And soon, too. If some of those HF proposals came true... (Ribs + Bachman for Bolland + Pirri + 18th)

I agree if you're talking about a forward or defenseman that you're selling yourself short drafting or making important roster decisions primarily on size. Unfortunately, Dallas seems to do this as well.

That said ... if you're going to be a stickler for size on one position ... I'm OK with doing it in goal. Bachman isn't even average size at 5'10". It's undeniable that a bigger goalie has an advantage over the smaller guys. Bachman has to be perfect on every shot where a bigger goalies size has the opportunity to mop up some mistakes.

I don't think they'll just dump Bachs, but all things equal he's obviously the odd man out. Isn't that what we all though anyway? This is definitely sooner than I expected, but I always assumed he didn't have much of a future in Dallas.

It's not a unique situation either. All things weren't equal, at least IMO, and Montreal still moved out a smaller guy in Halak who put them team on his back for a deep playoff run so they could go with the bigger (still obviously talented) Carey Price.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:57 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It's not a unique situation either. All things weren't equal, at least IMO, and Montreal still moved out a smaller guy in Halak who put them team on his back for a deep playoff run so they could go with the bigger (still obviously talented) Carey Price.
I think there's something to be said for Montreal valuing the pedigree aspect of Price in that decision as well.

Mike and Piqued are both driving at the same thing and I tend to agree. I think Bachman may have little value on his own but as part of a package with other roster players I could see him/they bringing in a pretty decent player, how good I'm not sure. The thing that's a little disappointing in all of this is that Bachman doesn't have all that much of an NHL resume, definitely not as much as Mike Smith had before the Richards trade.

On the other hand some teams are so hard up for goaltending that if another organization needs a really cheap option for a backup that could probably play in 30+ games without much of an issue maybe he's a piece that could maybe be in play for moving up on draft day. Given the organizational depth we (think we) have at the goaltending position if a former mid round pick can be a trading chip to get up into the upper tier of prospects that's pretty good return on investment.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:23 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
The thing that's a little disappointing in all of this is that Bachman doesn't have all that much of an NHL resume, definitely not as much as Mike Smith had before the Richards trade.
That's only true if they trade Bachman right now, and I honestly don't believe they would. Dallas is usually smart and patient, and Nihlstrop should start in the AHL (I think the Goalie Guild made a great point about why that should happen ... posted earlier).

Mike Smith had only played 44 games in Dallas over 2 seasons before they traded him. Bachman already has played 18, and he should be in the mid to high 30's by February of next year ... which would be a very good time to trade him IMO.