Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Peterborough Petes 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 04:25 PM
defensehockey19

vCash: 500
I'd be all for Athanasiou and Campagna..If Puempel demands out I will be very frustrated as a fan... Its hard seeing all your top talent leave. But with that being said the team I think would be most interested in him is Kitchener would help give them that added offensive depth.... Maybe we xould get a guy like Pederson?(Sp) in return..

On second thought I'd Probably demand Pederson and Sterk, maybe we could add like Trojanovic or a 4th or 5th round pick.

Last edited by defensehockey19: 06-02-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old
06-02-2012, 09:16 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
I agree with much of what you're saying in regards to the direction the team should take, but how realistic is it?

Reid must make the playoffs, he can't afford to roll the dice on a young team, he's said in the paper it was his fault for not giving Pelino a more veteran lineup, so I'd be shocked if we went with a lineup with that many youngsters having big roles. For that reason, I can't see Puempel being dealt (unless he asks, or Petes are out of playoffs at deadline). The board also has a lot of pressure this season to make the playoffs and start winning some of the fan base back and make money. They can't really take any chances.

I'd go after Campagna if he could be had for draft picks. If the goal is 2014, the Petes returning centermen will be Cornel and Pierog. Considering we know Reid will go after veterans this season, it makes more sense for a guy who will return in two years then a guy that's one and done. In 2 years he'd easily be the 2nd best center on the team, maybe even the best. Have to wait and see how quickly Cornel develops, but it's unlikely he'll be centering the 1st line of a Memorial Cup contending team at 17. Athanasiou, if Ritchie is moved to RW is probably the 2nd best LWer on the team, with the potential to be 1st line when Puempel moves on. I've never seen Betzold play, and hope he does well, but it's hard to see him come in and be a 20+ goal guy as a rookie after being passed over in the draft twice, and only playing as high as Midget so far. Does Maguire have the offencive game to be a 2nd line LWer in 2 years on a contending team? I realize in 2 years, things will be different, but if the Petes have the chance to get a couple 18 year olds, who'd be 2nd liners next season, without giving up a roster player, it would be hard to pass up. I don't think it's realistic we could get both of them, but I wouldn't say no. If they don't work out, trade them.
Agree, with everything said here. Also Athanasiou plays all 3 forward positions well. He could be had for a swap of import picks with London.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:15 PM
defensehockey19

Don't know what SSM would think, but would anybody be apposed as to flipping the import for Schumacher?

Lots of People saying Puempel is as good as gone.

Last edited by defensehockey19: 06-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old
06-05-2012, 12:15 PM
seen em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Don't know what SSM would think, but would anybody be apposed as to flipping the import for Schumacher?

Lots of People saying Puempel is as good as gone.
You can add Francis Menard to your roster soon enough.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
You can add Francis Menard to your roster soon enough.
I'd like that, but where are we hearing this?

Old
06-05-2012, 03:45 PM
defensehockey19

Menard, Findlay, Quine and Cornel. One of Menard and Findlay would have to play the wing

Old
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Petes96

Quote:
Menard, Findlay, Quine and Cornel. One of Menard and Findlay would have to play the wing
and Pierog

Old
06-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Petes96

Quote:
if Menaud does come to the Petes then the team is looking pretty good. although I still think Puempel and Mathers are going to be dealt.

as it stands right now the line-up looks like:

Puempel - Findlay - Ritchie
Betzold - Quine - Nosad
Maguire - Cornell - Hietkamp
Thompson - Pierog - Mathers
Hatcher

Koekkoek - Bolland
Murphy - Varga
Seymour - Ceresnak
Robinson - Murdoff

D'ag
Giggy

Old
06-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Petes1

Why deal a bunch of high picks for OA's and then deal your captain and the only sure thing on your LW?

Unless you know that Puempel wants out and can't say it, I'm not sure how it makes any sense to move him? Going back to your point about building for next season, if Puempel is dealt for a younger player, why is Reid dealing (if Menard rumor is true, likely 4 2nd/3rds for Menard/Findlay) several high picks for players that aren't returning? Wouldn't you be focusing on 93/94's rather then trading your best assets for OA's?

Dealing Puempel goes against everything Reid has said. If it's his idea to trade him, he's going to have a hell of a time explaining that to the fan base.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:45 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Why deal a bunch of high picks for OA's and then deal your captain and the only sure thing on your LW?

Unless you know that Puempel wants out and can't say it, I'm not sure how it makes any sense to move him? Going back to your point about building for next season, if Puempel is dealt for a younger player, why is Reid dealing (if Menard rumor is true, likely 4 2nd/3rds for Menard/Findlay) several high picks for players that aren't returning? Wouldn't you be focusing on 93/94's rather then trading your best assets for OA's?

Dealing Puempel goes against everything Reid has said. If it's his idea to trade him, he's going to have a hell of a time explaining that to the fan base.
Couldn't agree more, in fact I think Reid is trying to buy Matt back into staying with the club.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Matt Puempel potentially leaving Peterborough is not Dave Reid's doing, it's Matt's, and that I can guarantee you.

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, in fact I think Reid is trying to buy Matt back into staying with the club.
I think you're partially correct here, too. I also think come hell or high water (whether Puempel leaves or not) Dave Reid HAS to make this Petes team better and making the playoffs next season is a must. Given the losing years we've experienced to this point combined with all of the "sell the team" drama, it is imperative that the Peterborough Petes get back to winning hockey games.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Petes96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Matt Puempel potentially leaving Peterborough is not Dave Reid's doing, it's Matt's, and that I can guarantee you.

I think you're partially correct here, too. I also think come hell or high water (whether Puempel leaves or not) Dave Reid HAS to make this Petes team better and making the playoffs next season is a must. Given the losing years we've experienced to this point combined with all of the "sell the team" drama, it is imperative that the Peterborough Petes get back to winning hockey games.
from looking at the league this will happen for sure this year. They will make playoffs and hopefully win at least one round. But as I said before this team is built for the 2013-2014 season with the Mem. Cup being in Windsor. The league is old right now and the Petes are young and developing fast. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:

So you think Menard and Findlay is enough to convince Matt to stay with the team this season? Also, what's the hold up on why these deals haven't been announced to the public

Old
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Petes96

Quote:
So you think Menard and Findlay is enough to convince Matt to stay with the team this season? Also, what's the hold up on why these deals haven't been announced to the public
its not so much about convincing him as far as I'm concerned. He is a signed player under a contract. Its the Petes option to trade him. If they feel that he could help them advance this year then keep him. But if he doesn't want to be here why keep him around. It will only cause distension on the team and make things worse (like Spooner). But I wouldn't let him dictate where he will be traded to. Reid did this with Watson and can't do it now. If he doesn't go where the Petes get the best offer I would sit him at home and let the Senators deal with him.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
from looking at the league this will happen for sure this year. They will make playoffs and hopefully win at least one round. But as I said before this team is built for the 2013-2014 season with the Mem. Cup being in Windsor. The league is old right now and the Petes are young and developing fast. Relax and enjoy the ride.
I would think so too, on paper at least the team looks fairly good in my opinion.

As for being built for the 2013-2014 season with the Memorial Cup being held by the OHL, I'm not so sure we're built that strong for that particular season. Quine and Puempel in all likelihood will go to the AHL as they'll be eligible, Findlay, Menard (if acquired) will be gone, Koekkoek could very well move on to the NHL (depending on which team drafts him, of course). And out of our remaining '93 overage candidates, we could keep 3 of Hietkamp, Campagna, Hatcher, Mathers (May or may not go to the AHL, he'll be eligible), Seymour, Trojanovich, Ceresnak (May or may not go to the AHL, he'll be eligible), D'Agostini.

Players guaranteed here for the 2013-2014 season include: Ritchie, Cornel, Nosad, 2013 1st Rd Pick, Betzold, Pierog, MaGuire, Thompson, Varga, Murphy, Boland, Giugovaz. Certainly some good young talent there, but contender? I'm not so sure. Losing potentially 4 of your top 6 forwards (Quine, Puempel, Findlay, Menard-if acquired) will sting. Not to mention the teams top defenseman in Koekkoek potentially not returning. Could be some big losses there.

I think we can still be a good, young, competitive team for the 2013-2014 season, and we'll make some roster moves I am sure, i'm just not sure how good we'll be at this point. We'll see, it'll be fun to watch. I like the group we have, our prospects and young players look good to me. I think we're headed in the right direction.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but it doesn't hurt to look forward, especially in this league.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
its not so much about convincing him as far as I'm concerned. He is a signed player under a contract. Its the Petes option to trade him. If they feel that he could help them advance this year then keep him. But if he doesn't want to be here why keep him around. It will only cause distension on the team and make things worse (like Spooner). But I wouldn't let him dictate where he will be traded to. Reid did this with Watson and can't do it now. If he doesn't go where the Petes get the best offer I would sit him at home and let the Senators deal with him.
Bang on. And from what I know, Reid is doing just that and to this point has said he is not trading Matt Puempel. As for trading him where the best offer may be, it could be tricky since Matt is a 1st rd pick and I'm sure he has a NTC. What also leads me to believe Matt has the weight to dictate is that he gave Dave Reid one team (yes, one) that he wants to go to. Talk about being backed into a corner. But, as I said, Reid is saying he is not trading Matt Puempel and I think he certainly learned a few lessons from the Watson debacle, so how this all unfolds is yet to be seen.

Quote:
Petes96 summed it up rather nicely, but I'll also just say I don't believe Matt wants to leave Peterborough simply because the team is not (or was not) very good. It's a little more personal than that to Matt given his relationship with who and where he has asked to be dealt to and as far as hockey trades go, it's a damn tough one (perhaps impossible) to make. Matt may simply have to understand that and live with it, although I have little doubt the Ottawa Senators organization may advise him to stay put or simply loosen his demands.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Petes96

well our core guys for next year will be really good and it will be Ritchie, Cornell and Maguire's draft season which we couldn't of asked for anything more really. Ritchie will be a stud in the league next year and will be on pace for minimum 50 goal season. Murphy will evolve into our number defenseman. Reminds me of another Ryan Ellis in the making. Nosad, Thompson, Betzold, Varga will all be back and will give us two great lines. After a few moves in the off season to gain another OA and then some calculated moves this team will be a definite contender.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
well our core guys for next year will be really good and it will be Ritchie, Cornell and Maguire's draft season which we couldn't of asked for anything more really. Ritchie will be a stud in the league next year and will be on pace for minimum 50 goal season. Murphy will evolve into our number defenseman. Reminds me of another Ryan Ellis in the making. Nosad, Thompson, Betzold, Varga will all be back and will give us two great lines. After a few moves in the off season to gain another OA and then some calculated moves this team will be a definite contender.
We'll see, it's certainly possible, I'm just not counting my chickens before they hatch. We lose a solid amount of firepower, so we'll need guys to step up and fill those holes plus have depth players contributing. Not impossible, but not a given yet for me at this point either. This season will be telling in the sense that we'll see more of what we've got in these young players, even this years crop of rookies.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Petes96

Quote:
Bang on. And from what I know, Reid is doing just that and to this point has said he is not trading Matt Puempel. As for trading him where the best offer may be, it could be tricky since Matt is a 1st rd pick and I'm sure he has a NTC. What also leads me to believe Matt has the weight to dictate is that he gave Dave Reid one team (yes, one) that he wants to go to. Talk about being backed into a corner. But, as I said, Reid is saying he is not trading Matt Puempel and I think he certainly learned a few lessons from the Watson debacle, so how this all unfolds is yet to be seen.

Petes96 summed it up rather nicely, but I'll also just say I don't believe Matt wants to leave Peterborough simply because the team is not (or was not) very good. It's a little more personal than that to Matt given his relationship with who and where he has asked to be dealt to and as far as hockey trades go, it's a damn tough one (perhaps impossible) to make. Matt may simply have to understand that and live with it, although I have little doubt the Ottawa Senators organization may advise him to stay put or simply loosen his demands.
Guerzy. You must have an inside scoop but I kinda figured he would be shopped around. Missing the banquet was not a good thing considering that he had a cheque to present to the Children's Wish Foundation and he wasn't there for it. Not a good representation of our captain

Old
06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Guerzy. You must have an inside scoop but I kinda figured he would be shopped around. Missing the banquet was not a good thing considering that he had a cheque to present to the Children's Wish Foundation and he wasn't there for it. Not a good representation of our captain
He was in Mexico on a family vacation, which I was told was planned without knowing when the banquet was. All in all, not really acceptable in my opinion given this banquet happens every year around the same time and as you say, he was to be there for a presentation of a donation that was centered around himself.

Perhaps he'll loosen his demands and he'll be able to be shopped. It's a bit difficult, though not impossible, to bring your Captain back when he's asked to be dealt. Many players over the years have asked to be traded only to not be traded, and sometimes it works out just fine. Only time will tell how this works itself out. One thing is for sure, if Matt Puempel is dealt you can bet the return will be a good one after what Reid went though with Watson. If it's not a good one, I feel strongly Puempel will have to sit tight because Reid isn't about to settle or get fleeced again. The Austin Watson trade is and was embarrassing in every aspect.

Lastly, at this point, this hasn't been admitted to the media by Reid, Pelino, Oke, Matt Puempel himself or his agent, so there has not been and likely will not be a story on it. If nothing comes about from it and Puempel stays, you can bet it doesn't get let out then either and it will be put to rest as a rumor that never had legs. Unless of course it comes to a point in which Matt Puempel will not come to Peterborough to play, then it will get a little nasty but to be honest I'm not sure the Ottawa Senators would advise Matt of such actions, but you never know. Let's face it, given the poor years and seasons the Petes have recently endured, from big name players asking out or being moved for different reasons, to the debacle of selling the team, to declining season ticket sales and attendance in general, etc.. the organization does not want this in the media and from what I can gather Matt Puempel's side along with his agent have been told that as well and the Petes organization are carrying out the same actions. Makes me believe that he may indeed be dealt given the give and take from each side in terms of "you stay quiet, we stay quiet and we'll deal with it internally". On the flip side there simply may not be a good enough deal for the Petes to make so Puempel will either be given the option to come play or sit. This going public in the media and news would simply be even more crippling to the Peterborough Petes and their image to their fans, players, league, etc. All in all, not good.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-06-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old
06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Petes96

Quote:
He was in Mexico on a family vacation, which I was told was planned without knowing when the banquet was. All in all, not really acceptable in my opinion given this banquet happens every year around the same time and as you say, he was to be there for a presentation of a donation that was centered around himself.

Perhaps he'll loosen his demands and he'll be able to be shopped. It's a bit difficult, though not impossible, to bring your Captain back when he's asked to be dealt. Many players over the years have asked to be traded only to not be traded, and sometimes it works out just fine. Only time will tell how this works itself out. One thing is for sure, if Matt Puempel is dealt you can bet the return will be a good one after what Reid went though with Watson. If it's not a good one, I feel strongly Puempel will have to sit tight because Reid isn't about to settle or get fleeced again. The Austin Watson trade is and was embarrassing in every aspect.

Lastly, at this point, this hasn't been admitted to the media by Reid, Pelino, Oke, Matt Puempel himself or his agent, so there has not been and likely will not be a story on it. If nothing comes about from it and Puempel stays, you can bet it doesn't get let out then either and it will be put to rest as a rumor that never had legs. Unless of course it comes to a point in which Matt Puempel will not come to Peterborough to play, then it will get a little nasty but to be honest I'm not sure the Ottawa Senators would advise Matt of such actions, but you never know. Let's face it, given the poor years and seasons the Petes have recently endured, from big name players asking out or being moved for different reasons, to the debacle of selling the team, to declining season ticket sales and attendance in general, etc.. the organization does not want this in the media and from what I can gather Matt Puempel's side along with his agent have been told that as well and the Petes organization are carrying out the same actions. Makes me believe that he may indeed be dealt given the give and take from each side in terms of "you stay quiet, we stay quiet and we'll deal with it internally". On the flip side there simply may not be a good enough deal for the Petes to make so Puempel will either be given the option to come play or sit. This going public in the media and news would simply be even more crippling to the Peterborough Petes and their image to their fans, players, league, etc. All in all, not good.
well unfortunately reading it on here and you have the inside scoop gives the rumour some merit and will no doubt get out to the media before long and someone will have to answer to it. Let it be Reid or Puempel himself

Old
06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
well unfortunately reading it on here and you have the inside scoop gives the rumour some merit and will no doubt get out to the media before long and someone will have to answer to it. Let it be Reid or Puempel himself
Many fans are aware, as is the media, but the fact that Reid and Puempel's side is denying it/saying nothing gives the media nothing concrete enough to write about. Unless of course both sides want to come out and deny it in the media, which I've been waiting for but it has not happened (yet).

Old
06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Petes96

Quote:
Many fans are aware, as is the media, but the fact that Reid and Puempel's side is denying it/saying nothing gives the media nothing concrete enough to write about. Unless of course both sides want to come out and deny it in the media, which I've been waiting for but it has not happened (yet).
any other rumors about players? hearing Heitkamp may be on the way our as well

Old
06-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Petes96

well this confirms Findlay

http://www.gopetesgo.com/article/pet...rom-greyhounds

Old
06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
any other rumors about players? hearing Heitkamp may be on the way our as well
No, I haven't heard too much about player acquisitions and such. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hietkamp is dealt, he really hasn't progressed as expected but at the same time it doesn't hurt to have him in the bottom 6 given he can contribute in other ways than just the scoresheet, on top of that Pelino seems to like him.

He's a big and fairly physical kid who plays with a bit of an edge and if he can dedicate himself to that role he may be an asset. Then again he may break out offensively, who knows. I expected him to last season if he was going to, but he didn't. With that being said, his time may have run out with the Petes given we've got a nice collection of younger players. We've had 2 nice looking drafts in a row here and I think those players will be brought in. Pierog, Thompson, Maguire all look like real nice fits headed forward. Add in the newly signed Betzold, another OA and potentially a European from the Import Draft and I'm just not sure if there is a spot for Hietkamp. We'll see, he very well may be dealt or he may get the opportunity to come to camp in August. Training camp will be great this year, I think. Lots of good young players from what I can tell.

Closed Thread