HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 03:45 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity Millionaires View Post
While I hear what you're saying, at the same time I'm an intense, competitive guy who hates to lose. I am NOT dirty and never argue calls. I play an aggressive game, within the rules, and cannot stand lazy players.

This weekend an opponent told me to relax as I was trying to get position before the play started. Relax? I'm not here for a Sunday stroll. I can get exercise on my own time, I'm here to win.

I'm very fortunate to have a tight team that has played together for 3.5 years now. We won the league last year for the first time, and are in good position heading into the playoffs next weekend. I don't have the same problem with team-mates that some of you seem to have my only beef is with the refs, though not all of them.

We have one ref in particular who seems to think that this is pro-sports. You know the one? He's all snarly and macho, the guy is seriously on a power-trip and it pisses me off. We're paying you to be here bud, it's pretty easy to reverse that...

Ps. I also hate diving or flopping.
And with a little more work you'll get that Stanley Cup...

Old
06-05-2012, 03:48 PM
neksys

Quote:
While I hear what you're saying, at the same time I'm an intense, competitive guy who hates to lose. I am NOT dirty and never argue calls. I play an aggressive game, within the rules, and cannot stand lazy players.

This weekend an opponent told me to relax as I was trying to get position before the play started. Relax? I'm not here for a Sunday stroll. I can get exercise on my own time, I'm here to win.

I'm very fortunate to have a tight team that has played together for 3.5 years now. We won the league last year for the first time, and are in good position heading into the playoffs next weekend. I don't have the same problem with team-mates that some of you seem to have my only beef is with the refs, though not all of them.

We have one ref in particular who seems to think that this is pro-sports. You know the one? He's all snarly and macho, the guy is seriously on a power-trip and it pisses me off. We're paying you to be here bud, it's pretty easy to reverse that...

After reading your first 3 paragraphs, the bolded part sounds awfully familiar...

Old
06-05-2012, 10:50 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:

lol very ironic post, if i've ever read one

Old
06-05-2012, 11:18 PM
esidebill

Getting injured is so horrible. I think my knee might be in pain from skating a bit much... I really don't feel like stopping. Too addicted!

Old
06-05-2012, 11:25 PM
OilerNut*

One other pet peeve I have is when we had an odd number of players show up, like 14, they would have 3 lines of forwards, 2 lines of defencemen and have the extra guy, usually me, play every other shift on the 3rd line. So there would be two of us with half the ice time of everyone else because they didn't want to mess up the lines.

Old
06-06-2012, 06:14 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
One other pet peeve I have is when we had an odd number of players show up, like 14, they would have 3 lines of forwards, 2 lines of defencemen and have the extra guy, usually me, play every other shift on the 3rd line. So there would be two of us with half the ice time of everyone else because they didn't want to mess up the lines.
I wonder how others feel about this. Sounds like ******** to me. Mess up "the lines"?, give me a break. The forwards should just replace each other drop in style. If you show up to play you get a shift like everybody else.

I think the perfect amount of players is 9. Two forward lines and 3 D. Get a good amount of time on the ice and a descent breather as well.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
That's BS, everyone should have the same amount of ice time, you're all paying to be there after all. When my teams has an odd number of guys (our whole roster would be 13 skaters), we'll do this:

13 skaters: 2 sets of D, 3 lines of fowards (never happens)
12 skaters: 2 sets of D, 2 centers and 3 sets of wing (rarely happens)
11 skaters: 2 sets of D, 2 lines with one switching position each shift and when they cycle through a line, which is usually a period, they'll cycle through the other line (not uncommon)
10 skaters: 2 sets of D, 2 lines (most common)
9 skaters: 3 players on D, 2 lines (also very common)
8 skaters: 3 players on D, 2 subs for forward

And we're allowed to sub guys in from the other games if we have less than 8. The point is, we all pretty much get the same ice time minus the case with 12 skaters but people don't even want to play center in that role because it's too much skating.

My frustration for today though is playing on a brand new sheet of ice. Ugh, can't stick handle, can't skate, can't do anything. I'm not sure if my skates were dull or if it was just the ice. Hopefully by next week it'll be beat up enough to be playable on.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Yeah that's a real ****** team you have there. For my team on the rare occasion we get 14 or 15 players we stick to 9 forwards and the extra 1-2 skaters gets shuffled down to defense. Thankfully we've never had more than 15 players.

And even with the other combinations you still do your best to stick to evening out the ice time, even if there is a huge skill gap between players. Or at the very worst, if we have 7 forwards where it'sbasically 4 1st liners and 3 4th liners, we pair the first two C-RW and us latter three shared the LW position. That's not bad because every shift you get to go out there with some really skilled guys.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
theMajor

there are a few players on my team that take 3+ minute shifts, one guy was on the ice for 5 minutes last game even though the entire team was screaming at him. it sucks cause i work my ass off every shift so after a minute and a half, im pooped and get my butt off the ice. very very annoying when someone is not only not hustling, but taking extended shifts while half assing it.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:35 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't allow more than 13 skaters on my bench for this very reason. You don't want to be worrying about who gets what ice time when you are on the bench.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
there are a few players on my team that take 3+ minute shifts, one guy was on the ice for 5 minutes last game even though the entire team was screaming at him. it sucks cause i work my ass off every shift so after a minute and a half, im pooped and get my butt off the ice. very very annoying when someone is not only not hustling, but taking extended shifts while half assing it.
This. Then a couple days later I was talking about it with someone and I said "some guys were taking shifts that were WAY too long." and then I feel like an ******** when my buddy says "yea I heard you yelling at him to get off the ice" when in actual fact I wasn't the only one, but probably one of the most vocal about it.

Maybe I just shouldn't say anything at all.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
This. Then a couple days later I was talking about it with someone and I said "some guys were taking shifts that were WAY too long." and then I feel like an ******** when my buddy says "yea I heard you yelling at him to get off the ice" when in actual fact I wasn't the only one, but probably one of the most vocal about it.

The hell with that. I've seen guys go out right before a face off to replace a guy that's been out for too long and had no intention of coming off. They don't ask him, they just skate out and tell him his shift has been too long and it is over now.

I've played in some scrimmages with my learn to play class, and the guy that is the best skater (of the beginners) always stays out too long. After being on the ice for 4-5 minutes he isn't the best skater anymore. He's just tired, slow, and out of position.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post

You have run into a big social dilemma that haunts me in every choice and every choice causes me discomfort. The sad thing is that the player who plays too long doesn't feel anything - just you, he is perfectly fine doing what he wants.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:24 PM
mythicalberserker

There's a girl I play with, who takes long shifts. She's one of the ones that camps out and waits for a breakaway (she plays center) so she never gets tired, so she assumes, she can stay out until she does "get tired." During one of her league games her teammates called out to her to get off the ice. As she sits down she starts to pout, "what, am I being benched now?"

Old
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
The hell with that. I've seen guys go out right before a face off to replace a guy that's been out for too long and had no intention of coming off. They don't ask him, they just skate out and tell him his shift has been too long and it is over now.

I've played in some scrimmages with my learn to play class, and the guy that is the best skater (of the beginners) always stays out too long. After being on the ice for 4-5 minutes he isn't the best skater anymore. He's just tired, slow, and out of position.
And the guys not on the ice are sitting on the bench so long that they get cold. It's really the worst thing that can happen on a team, when I started in my beginners league we had a few games like that. I was on a line with the team captain so he always made sure to pull us off to set an example, but then both the next two lines would both go out for 2:30-3:00 minute shifts. It's pretty brutal when you only get two shifts in a period. And on this team it was really only one line that did it, but it starts a downward spiral where the next guys figure they haven't been out for so long and/or it will be another long wait between shifts that to get their money's worth they gotta take an extra long shift too. Your team starts playing real brutal hockey at that point.

For the poster talking about the guy taking 5 minute shifts, aren't there any whistles in between? On a well functioning beer/rec league team partial responsibility falls to the next line/player sitting on the bench to jump the boards on a whistle if the current line/player has been out more than a minute (45 second shifts are for competitive hockey, beer league should be 60-90 second shifts).

Old
06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Wooty

A lot of players don't understand the effort you are supposed to bring because most things in life are done at a slow and careful pace. You also don't intentionally bring pain to yourself

This goes for some NHL prospects too. They just don't seem to understand how the game is played

Old
06-07-2012, 07:11 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
For the poster talking about the guy taking 5 minute shifts, aren't there any whistles in between? On a well functioning beer/rec league team partial responsibility falls to the next line/player sitting on the bench to jump the boards on a whistle if the current line/player has been out more than a minute (45 second shifts are for competitive hockey, beer league should be 60-90 second shifts).
i do play beer league so the whistles are pretty frequent, which is a good thing for me because it seems like no one on my team knows how to change on the fly. that particular game there were a lot less whistles than normal which is why he was out there so long that shift. we all talked about shift length last practice so hopefully everyone is on the same page tonight. we play the 1st place team so we cant have guys lollygagging when they should be getting to the bench

Old
06-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Gentle Ben Ken0bi

I guess that I am in a good situation. I play in a beer league pick up. Most of the players are the same from week to week and we all know each other and we all get along. The guy that runs the league sets up the lines and positions. The first line has the best players and well I am on the 2nd line. It is great that way, because you are playing with/against similar talent for the most part.

The manager runs an audio soundtrack that has a soft buzzer at 90 seconds then a hard buzzer at 120 seconds. So at 120 you have to come off and everyone follows the rules except for one guy that I think is partially deaf.

I had a 5 year hiatus from ice and played roller, so when I started ice again it took a while to get my balance back and all of the guys would be respectful and let me and other new players skate with some room.

After the games we drink beer and eat grilled sausages in the parking lot until about 1:30-2:00 am.

Good times.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by homersimpson View Post
After the games we drink beer and eat grilled sausages in the parking lot until about 1:30-2:00 am.

Good times.

that sounds awesome!

Old
06-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Frankie Spankie

Love the guys that take things to seriously.

There's a guy on one of the teams in a league I play in that 90% of the time his team gets a penalty, it's him, and he never goes to the box because he thinks somebody else on his team got called for a penalty. He runs his mouth at people all game too. I didn't bother getting involved this game because I was having a hell of a game, no need to go to the box myself. I'm always amazed by the people that hack and slash every shift and then get pissed when they get a penalty.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Valois

I played a game subbing in in a soccer league with some friends. The league has a rule where there have to be two girls on the field at a time, which is nice in theory but got annoying in practice. There were three girls on the team, and only one was comfortable playing as a forward. I play defense, so there were very long stretches where I literally could not take a shift (we ran shifts like hockey, instead of subs). To be fair though, they were all quite good and we had a fun game. Annoying rule though.

But continue hockey discussions. My only beer league complaint is that I can't play hockey.

Last edited by Valois: 06-09-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old
06-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

Please don't tell me you're a ringer at Ice604

Old
06-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valois View Post
I played a game subbing in in a soccer league with some friends. The league has a rule where there have to be two girls on the field at a time, which is nice in theory but got annoying in practice. There were three girls on the team, and only one was comfortable playing as a forward. I play defense, so there were very long stretches where I literally could not take a shift (we ran shifts like hockey, instead of subs). To be fair though, they were all quite good and we had a fun game. Annoying rule though.

But continue hockey discussions. My only beer league complaint is that I can't play hockey.
It's never too late to start.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Please don't tell me you're a ringer at Ice604
Ha, I played in ice604 at one time...

Old
06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by homersimpson View Post

The manager runs an audio soundtrack that has a soft buzzer at 90 seconds then a hard buzzer at 120 seconds. So at 120 you have to come off and everyone follows the rules except for one guy that I think is partially deaf.

Haha - I think that guy is on my team as well. Always the first to go out on the fly, always the last to come off when we're yelling for him. It'd be one thing (though still annoying) if he produced in his "extra" time, but he doesn't even do that.

Closed Thread