HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien is new Habs coach

Old
06-05-2012, 10:25 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
Welcome back, by Onyx. Let's give Therrien a chance.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1pwrscRu4

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Did they (MB and MT)say today at MT press conference, they just wanted to make playoffs and see what happens CORRECT?

Now here is what our GM Molson said recently!
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...erre_gauthier/
Bergevin said this : Look at the Kings. They finished 8th and are now in the Cup finals. Look at the Devils, they missed the playoffs last year and they are now in the Cup finals. If we reach the playoffs, we are in a position to win.

You know, it's really hard to win the cup. REALLY HARD. 30 teams, only one winner. Some very talented team were eliminated from the playoffs...

I am confident this team will turn it around. This team is always better during the playoffs and I don't see that changing. Reach the playoffs and we'll be in the dance.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
deandebean

Quote:
LOL ....let me find the quote from SUbban where he is quoted saying his SCORING IS NOT IMPORTANT.........yes who was putting that in his head?

You know?
How old are you? have you seen Bobby Orr play? Subban is NOT a generational talent. He's good, yes, but his maturity level is that of a guy that likes to 'shine' instead of being effective. Like Hal Gill said. Primetime was good for football. But not for hockey. Will need to change his attitude, if what was written is true.

Bobby Orr is a legend. PK Subban hasn't even won the freaking Calder. Give me a break.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Touché. Well played sir, well played.

Or maybe Therrien is a terrible coach who players don't like. Carlyle and Beaudreu are known as tough coaches but you don't hear any players past or present making the numerous comments that players are making in regards to Therrien. I've actually not heard a single complimentary comment from any player towards this hire, only negative. Maybe guys whove played for him know him a bit better than you or I and their comments speak volumes to how he alienates his locker room.

This will end badly. Not being melodramatic but this is not a good hire. I truly hope he was hired as a stop gap until a better coach becomes available next year or the year after. Given the dry candidate list, this is the only thing that makes sense. Hire a bad coach who players hate until a better coach can come along and take over once the players turn on Therrien and will be united. We've seen it time and time again. I hope this is how it plays out.

For future reference, we are not a 28th placed team. We will have a better record next year, no doubt. Even if we had no coach, we'll have a better record. This does not mean he's a good coach! Were not a 28th team to begin with. So please, I don't want to hear he coached us to a better record unless we're first overall. At that point I will concede he did a great job. Until that happens, this sucks.
Sidney Crosby called Therrien today to congratulate him. If he called, it's because he likes him. To what extent, that, I don't know, but if the best player in the game doesn't mind Therrien, it means that he's respected by some players.

And some players will hate coach like that (Therrien, Tortorela, Quenneville, etc) and it's normal. If they don't want to work hard, they can go look elsewhere.

Pleky, Subban, Desharnais, Pax, Cole, Georges, Gionta...all players who will be OK with a coach like Therrien because they always work hard.

A player like Bourque might have a hard time with Therrien, but the coach could also be able to like a fire under Bourque's a**.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:34 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Touché. Well played sir, well played.

Or maybe Therrien is a terrible coach who players don't like. Carlyle and Beaudreu are known as tough coaches but you don't hear any players past or present making the numerous comments that players are making in regards to Therrien. I've actually not heard a single complimentary comment from any player towards this hire, only negative. Maybe guys whove played for him know him a bit better than you or I and their comments speak volumes to how he alienates his locker room.

This will end badly. Not being melodramatic but this is not a good hire. I truly hope he was hired as a stop gap until a better coach becomes available next year or the year after. Given the dry candidate list, this is the only thing that makes sense. Hire a bad coach who players hate until a better coach can come along and take over once the players turn on Therrien and will be united. We've seen it time and time again. I hope this is how it plays out.

For future reference, we are not a 28th placed team. We will have a better record next year, no doubt. Even if we had no coach, we'll have a better record. This does not mean he's a good coach! Were not a 28th team to begin with. So please, I don't want to hear he coached us to a better record unless we're first overall. At that point I will concede he did a great job. Until that happens, this sucks.
He's not the most liked coach. The fact that Sid the Kid called him though, and the fact that Sid's FATHER texted him speaks volume of what some of the big time players for the Pens thought of him, though. Maybe Sid ain't a fan of Bylsma's style? Likes the intense ones better? Who knows...

Anybody hear Renaud Lavoie tonight? Man, he sounded like a fanboy for Sid in Montreal. That was awkward.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Bloumeister
Gros chef bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
How old are you? have you seen Bobby Orr play? Subban is NOT a generational talent. He's good, yes, but his maturity level is that of a guy that likes to 'shine' instead of being effective. Like Hal Gill said. Primetime was good for football. But not for hockey. Will need to change his attitude, if what was written is true.

Bobby Orr is a legend. PK Subban hasn't even won the freaking Calder. Give me a break.
He would have, had he not been brought up by Habs management.

It's a fact.

Last edited by Bloumeister: 06-05-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: problems with quotes when posting - Habs hire Therrien, HFB crashes?
Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Bergevin said this : Look at the Kings. They finished 8th and are now in the Cup finals. Look at the Devils, they missed the playoffs last year and they are now in the Cup finals. If we reach the playoffs, we are in a position to win.

You know, it's really hard to win the cup. REALLY HARD. 30 teams, only one winner. Some very talented team were eliminated from the playoffs...

I am confident this team will turn it around. This team is always better during the playoffs and I don't see that changing. Reach the playoffs and we'll be in the dance.
It sure sound like "get into playoffs" could mean 7th 8th and anything can happen etc...
Seems a lot like what Molson doesn't want

Quote:
Get into the playoffs, Bergevin and Therrien said, and anything is possible.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz1wysmeQG5

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:44 PM
deandebean

Quote:
here is what he said, seems a lot like what Molson doesn't want .
It sure sound like "get into playoffs" could mean 7th 8th and anythign can happen etc...
What Molson said is EXACTLY what the other guy said. Molson wants a cup. His GM says: make the playoffs and anything can happen, like winning the Cup.

Molson wants to excite the fans. Its his job. The GM's job is to get the fans' expectations to a fair level. Not through the roof.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
MathMan

Sneaking into 7th or 8th as a bubble team (and not as a dominant team having a bad season, like the Kings) isn't the best way to win a Cup, but it's a necessary stepping stone to doing better. Building an elite team is a gradual process. You can't go 30th place, 30th place, 30th place, and then BANG! Stanley Cup.

That said, I'd hoped the Habs would do better than be on the bubble but I don't see that being very likely anymore.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:50 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Sneaking into 7th or 8th as a bubble team (and not as a dominant team having a bad season, like the Kings) isn't the best way to win a Cup, but it's a necessary stepping stone to doing better. Building an elite team is a gradual process. You can't go 30th place, 30th place, 30th place, and then BANG! Stanley Cup.

That said, I'd hoped the Habs would do better than be on the bubble but I don't see that being very likely anymore.
FINALLY, I agree with you!

Old
06-05-2012, 10:51 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Sidney Crosby called Therrien today to congratulate him. If he called, it's because he likes him. To what extent, that, I don't know, but if the best player in the game doesn't mind Therrien, it means that he's respected by some players.

And some players will hate coach like that (Therrien, Tortorela, Quenneville, etc) and it's normal. If they don't want to work hard, they can go look elsewhere.

Pleky, Subban, Desharnais, Pax, Cole, Georges, Gionta...all players who will be OK with a coach like Therrien because they always work hard.

A player like Bourque might have a hard time with Therrien, but the coach could also be able to like a fire under Bourque's a**.
Crosby is a class act and an ambassador the game. I doubt Crosby hates Therrien and he did the classy thing. What does this have to do with Therrien not being liked by most players? So one guy called to congratulate him and that changes that Therrien is not liked? I don't think so.

Even if he lights a fire under some players, like I said, we're better than our record shows so I know we'll be better next year. I just hope he doesn't cause unreparable damage to any of our players that makes them request a trade. Also worried what his hiring will do when trying to attract ufas.

Quote:
He's not the most liked coach. The fact that Sid the Kid called him though, and the fact that Sid's FATHER texted him speaks volume of what some of the big time players for the Pens thought of him, though. Maybe Sid ain't a fan of Bylsma's style? Likes the intense ones better? Who knows...

Anybody hear Renaud Lavoie tonight? Man, he sounded like a fanboy for Sid in Montreal. That was awkward.
If Therrien can lure Crosby to Montreal, I'll sign his extension myself. Than fire him for a better coach

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Personally, I'm okay with MT2.

He'll be better this go round. No doubt.

Hope he runs Bourque out of town.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

What is this your Therrien mind game? no thanks.

As for your sayin PK isn't generational , i think he is and your wrong .Show me 10 d men players like PK Subban in today's game......you won't find it .He is very UNIQUE,so unique it freaks the old school coaches out ,and they want to change his game(tone it down) cause they got no IDEA ....

As for Hall Gill i really like him and got a ton of respect for him from his time with the Habs , but what does a self professed pylon like him know about how to best develop a high end rushing dman? sorry Hal know's shut down defense ..

Like what does a NFL defense coordinator know about running an NfL high power offense??? Hal Gill know's shutdown defense , not how to best tune what PK SUBBAN got under his hood or how it should be tuned or how best it should be run.

As for your thought on PK, HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SHINE ....be himself ...not put in some cookie cutter mold to become like the rest..You do that with reg dmen , not PK SUBBAN ,Paul Coffey ,Bobby Orr types etc ...

Bobby Orr wasn't a legend after year 2, take a break .Subban got 15 more yrs ahead.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-05-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old
06-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
What is this your Therrien mind game? no thanks.

As for your sayin PK isn't generational , i think he is and your wrong .Show me 10 d men players like PK Subban in today's game......you won't find it .He is very UNIQUE,so unique it freaks the old school coaches out ,and they want to change his game(tone it down) cause they got no IDEA ....

As for Hall Gill i really like him and got a ton of respect for him from his time with the Habs , but what does a self professed pylon like him know about how to best develop a high end rushing dman? sorry Hall you know shut down defense ..

Like what does a NFL defense coordinator know about running an NHL high power offense??? Hall Gill know's shutdown defense , not what PK SUBBAN got under his hood or how it should be tuned or how best it should be run.

As for your thought on PK, HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SHINE ....be himself ...not put in some cookie cutter mold to become like the rest..You do that with reg dmen , not PK SUBBAN ,Paul Coffey ,Bobby Orr types etc ...

Bobby Orr wasn't a legend after year 2, take a break .Subban got 15 more yrs ahead.
PK is not a generational talent. Those players are very rare. OK can sure be a star, and even a superstar, but he's not a generational talent. If he is, than Toews, Backstrom, Tavares and all the others star players are...

And from the first website from a generational talent search in google :

Quote:
There's been much argument in hockey circles as to how to define a "generational talent" - a player so dominant that only 1 of them is seen per generation. Most agree that there are 3 players in NHL history that have fully and truly embodied the term - Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, and Bobby Orr. These were the three most dominant offensive forces playing in their time period - no one can argue this point. Some think that those are the only 3 generational talents that the NHL has ever had, while others like to expand the definition to include other names - including Crosby and Ovechkin. Although I think the latter 2 aren't generational talents YET, I do feel there's room to expand the list of "generational talents" to a few more names. I think most definitions have been unfair to the defensive side of the game. I was looking to perhaps expand the definition of the term to goaltenders and defensemen other than Orr as well.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Crosby is a class act and an ambassador the game. I doubt Crosby hates Therrien and he did the classy thing. What does this have to do with Therrien not being liked by most players? So one guy called to congratulate him and that changes that Therrien is not liked? I don't think so.

Even if he lights a fire under some players, like I said, we're better than our record shows so I know we'll be better next year. I just hope he doesn't cause unreparable damage to any of our players that makes them request a trade. Also worried what his hiring will do when trying to attract ufas.

If Therrien can lure Crosby to Montreal, I'll sign his extension myself. Than fire him for a better coach
If Crosby called Therrien, it's more than a class act thing. He could have just move on with his life and do nothing.

It doesn't change the fact that a lot of players don't like coaches like Therrien (I don't think it's Therrien himself that player don't like, but the type of coach he is)...but if the best player in the game liked him, a lot of player will also like him.

We could think that some players would be crazy to want Tortorella as a coach, who has a similar style as Therrien, but Brad Richards, out of 30 teams, chose the Rangers.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:08 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Why Therrien again. Never liked the idea of going back to a former coach.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

You will not have all 23 players who will like the coach. What's important is that the leaders respect you.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Therrien never had players like gorges and plekanec when he was last here, lets see what happens, i hope gionta does ok

but most of all, i want to see if Eller can thrive under therrien, because it seems everyone keeps forgetting about him and its freaking me out, everyones concerned with galchenyuk and grigorenko who havent played a single NHL game while we have this kid Eller, only 22 years old, and just WAITING to bust out, and already has a 4 goal game under his belt,
Weve all seen it, how fast he can be, how tough he can be, how skilled he can be, hes got the height, hes working on the size, and his skating only seems to get better, i cant wait to see if therrien utilizes him correctly, he tries to take after plekanec so lets see if eller keeps working HARD

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I will go on record (take notes Kriss_E) to say that Therrien was not the candidate that I wanted. My candidate for the job was, for two coaches in a row, Bob Hartley.

Having said that, just like I had said back when Jacques Martin was hired, Therrien deserves our support as Habs' fans and we should give him some rope. It will be for him to do what he wants with it, whether he succeeds or hangs himself like Martin did.

I like what Bergevin has done so far and we, as fans, should not be jumping off a bridge because he didn't chose our personal favourite candidate. Time will tell if it was the right or wrong decision but Bergevin did not take the process lightly and we don't know what was said in interviews. Therrien obviously was the one who best shares the vision this new management has for the team.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
PK is not a generational talent. Those players are very rare. OK can sure be a star, and even a superstar, but he's not a generational talent. If he is, than Toews, Backstrom, Tavares and all the others star players are...

And from the first website from a generational talent search in google :
I think Subban starting out as rough as it has been for him with 2 near 40 point season in today's game is excellent start.Bobby Orr never started scoring 120 pts a year in his first 3 years ok...

Subban is just getting started, and will all see what a beast he turns into be it in Montreal or elsewhere.
PK is his own style , he'll go down as one of the best and likely change some parts of the game with it .

Old
06-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

You have to think some of the press really hate a guy when they keep asking him if he changed over the years, if he learned to "adapt". I guess yea someone can change and evolve and get better but everyone was asking for a tougher coach that would bring more grit and how we were all tired of the boring lifeless coachs we've had. And now people are like hey wait minute, it's too much!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
If Crosby called Therrien, it's more than a class act thing. He could have just move on with his life and do nothing.

It doesn't change the fact that a lot of players don't like coaches like Therrien (I don't think it's Therrien himself that player don't like, but the type of coach he is)...but if the best player in the game liked him, a lot of player will also like him.

We could think that some players would be crazy to want Tortorella as a coach, who has a similar style as Therrien, but Brad Richards, out of 30 teams, chose the Rangers.
Best player or not. Still one person versus many who he's alienated. Not a good sign by any means. Hal Gill was making fun of him, what that that say?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I doubt you'd be surprised to find out that many star players have an "artificially" good relationship with their coach (or in this case, coaches) of their first NHL season. Stars are usually stars because their play is of the calibre that rarely results in a coach coming down on them for whatever reason. On top of that, star offensive rookies aren't usually asked to limit their creativity or risk/chances or significantly deviate from the style they "prefer" to play. Coaches are often quickest to try to win the favour of stars/captains as a means toward getting to the group, too. And in any event, Crosby has never said a bad thing about anyone, anyway. Not the best place to look if you're sincerely trying to weigh the "good" AND the "bad" about anyone.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I think Subban starting out as rough as it has been for him with 2 near 40 point season in today's game is excellent start.Bobby Orr never started scoring 120 pts a year in his first 3 years ok...

Subban is just getting started, and will all see what a beast he turns into be it in Montreal or elsewhere.
PK is his own style , he'll go down as one of the best and likley change some parts of the game with it .
Still, not a generational talent. Just to get the bigger picture, can you name us some generational talent other than Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr?

Old
06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
You're being melodramatic... Darche, Robidas and Talbot all had good words for Therrien, plus Crosby called him to congratulate him. There are others as well but these are the NHL players I heard from today that said they liked playing under Therrien.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote