HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Radulov to CSKA Moscow, KHL. 4-Year Deal.

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Not gonna lie, kinda pissed about this. I'll get over it though. He's apparently still a prima donna who is all about the money or wanting to play in the biggest market in the spotlight. Oh well.
I completely understand why you'd be more than miffed.
At the same time though, while Radulov is obviously already very rich, getting 9 million per for 4 years at Russian taxation will most likely be what he could earn in 7-8 years in the NHL. Add living in Moscow among friends and family, with it being easier to have an opulent life style, should he so desire....

At a personal level it isn't hard to understand why he would be considering the option, IMO.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:46 AM
dulzhok

David Poile one of the worst asset management GMs in the league.

And honestly, if all they did was break cerfew for an hour with no alcohol, at most they should have sat one game. At best, they should have let the team leaders handle them and keep it in the room. Not only did it hurt our game 4 chances, it all but destroyed Radulov's trade value and made a Russia return likely.

And Poile is publicly telling everyone he's not the right fit for the team? Why? To drive down his price? Terrible.

After seeing moves like this, it makes me suspect more and more that a proactive GM would have squashed the Radulov to Russia ordeal before it happened, and traded him for a huge return. Then, that's when tell the world he wasn't the right fit for the team

Old
06-06-2012, 02:30 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
David Poile one of the worst asset management GMs in the league.

And honestly, if all they did was break cerfew for an hour with no alcohol, at most they should have sat one game. At best, they should have let the team leaders handle them and keep it in the room. Not only did it hurt our game 4 chances, it all but destroyed Radulov's trade value and made a Russia return likely.

And Poile is publicly telling everyone he's not the right fit for the team? Why? To drive down his price? Terrible.

After seeing moves like this, it makes me suspect more and more that a proactive GM would have squashed the Radulov to Russia ordeal before it happened, and traded him for a huge return. Then, that's when tell the world he wasn't the right fit for the team
I see why your mad. The punishment was harsh. But Poile is watching the 8th seed Kings 1 win away from the cup against a very weak New Jersey team. He knows the Predator organization missed maybe it's best chance since its come in existence to win a cup. Radulov put the team in a horrible position and Poile isn't just mad. He's flaming at the missed opportunity. I highly doubt he even cares about what his potential trade value might have been. He just wants him as far away from Nashville ASAP.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:10 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
maybe we trae his rights to NJD for a UFA rights? he can play with a countryman then
Rads for Parise? That'd be nice

Old
06-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Fulcrum

I'll be honest I'm very surprised by how this Radulov case was handled. Sure, he isn't a simple guy to keep around (although he was a good team-guy in Russia) - but isn't it worth it to try and make things work with leading scorer in PO, rather than firing off the fireworks after the first little snag?

I understand- team rules, chemistry and all that, but the benefits/costs and the approach just don't add up for me. Just surprising - that's all.

My guess is it was an ego clash at some level. NHL GM who is the boss, and a self-convinced superstar- maybe it was bound to happen.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:43 AM
kp61c

vCash: 833
nothing surprising here. it was obvious after this season that rads stint with preds was over and the feelings of disaffection were mutual. if the trade happens i expect a huge discount from preds side.

Old
06-06-2012, 07:28 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I'll be honest I'm very surprised by how this Radulov case was handled. Sure, he isn't a simple guy to keep around (although he was a good team-guy in Russia) - but isn't it worth it to try and make things work with leading scorer in PO, rather than firing off the fireworks after the first little snag?

I understand- team rules, chemistry and all that, but the benefits/costs and the approach just don't add up for me. Just surprising - that's all.

My guess is it was an ego clash at some level. NHL GM who is the boss, and a self-convinced superstar- maybe it was bound to happen.
there is obviously way more than the one missed curfew event here. Radulov's selfish attitude and prima donna tendencies are simply not a fit on this team and he didnt bring enough plusses to the table to offset the minuses...

dulzhoks claims notwithstanding, poile generally hoards assets like gold and silver during a recession.

the fact that Poile said this publicly, effectively making rads available for almost nothing, tells me that in all likelihood, he tried shopping Radulov's rights and there were no takers.... or else the return was so minimal that he wanted it to be clear that Rads was a lost cause before he announced a deal and everyone said "Radulov for a conditional 7th w_t_f??"

Old
06-06-2012, 07:45 AM
VFL615*

If it came down to basically getting nothing for him i would not send him to any NHL team. Make him go to the KHL. No way you give him to team x for a 7th round pick and in turn he puts up 40-60 points with said team. I would not do him any favors.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
glenngineer

Dulz, you do realize that Trotz had the call on why Rads and AK sat in game 4 right? That is not on Poile. Were you glad Rads was brought back for the stretch run? If so, once again, how can you be bad or ticked at Poile? He tried to play his cards the best way he could and to be honest, it was Rads and AK who broke team rules, not Poile. Everyone else was in by curfew so they bought into the team concept. You cannot let the inmates run the asylum in any sport or the team culture does not work.

Sometimes ridding yourself of a cancer in the locker room and the ice without getting a return is sometimes better than getting something for that cancer. If it means the team stays with the same concept of being a team, I'm fine with Rads going back to the KHL or to another NHL for next to nothing. It is one headache that I think everyone wants far away from them. I'd love to see him a few times a year so guys can crush him on the ice.

And yes, GM's are supposed to get something for their assets but sometimes peace of mind and a happy locker room is worth the trade off. It's not like Rads lit the world on fire when he was back. He was a good player but not an elite player.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
there is obviously way more than the one missed curfew event here. Radulov's selfish attitude and prima donna tendencies are simply not a fit on this team and he didnt bring enough plusses to the table to offset the minuses...

dulzhoks claims notwithstanding, poile generally hoards assets like gold and silver during a recession.

the fact that Poile said this publicly, effectively making rads available for almost nothing, tells me that in all likelihood, he tried shopping Radulov's rights and there were no takers.... or else the return was so minimal that he wanted it to be clear that Rads was a lost cause before he announced a deal and everyone said "Radulov for a conditional 7th w_t_f??"
hmm well it makes sense. Except that he's still a very rare and exceptional player.

But just looking at stats and his injury situation during the drama, it's still very questionable on who's the loser in this story.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Dulz, you do realize that Trotz had the call on why Rads and AK sat in game 4 right? That is not on Poile. Were you glad Rads was brought back for the stretch run? If so, once again, how can you be bad or ticked at Poile? He tried to play his cards the best way he could and to be honest, it was Rads and AK who broke team rules, not Poile. Everyone else was in by curfew so they bought into the team concept. You cannot let the inmates run the asylum in any sport or the team culture does not work.

Sometimes ridding yourself of a cancer in the locker room and the ice without getting a return is sometimes better than getting something for that cancer. If it means the team stays with the same concept of being a team, I'm fine with Rads going back to the KHL or to another NHL for next to nothing. It is one headache that I think everyone wants far away from them. I'd love to see him a few times a year so guys can crush him on the ice.

And yes, GM's are supposed to get something for their assets but sometimes peace of mind and a happy locker room is worth the trade off. It's not like Rads lit the world on fire when he was back. He was a good player but not an elite player.
Only time will tell about the whole "cancer on the team" concept. You could be right, but he is capable (as proven before) of being a very high scoring player - and let's face it, he is not going to be a bust in the next few years for sure, especially if he buys into a team concept. But it just won't be for the Preds, I think that's the dillema

Old
06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm all for having "character" on the team, but I'm also for having talent.

Mike Fisher might have more heart and character than anyone else in the league. But he was also an offensive blackhole in the playoffs.

Between the two, sorry, I'd rather have Radulov. You can balance out a "character issue" (and this had better be about more than just the curfew issue) by surrounding players like this with the right guys. But you can't make a "heart and soul" player suddenly score beyond his talent.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:20 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I'm all for having "character" on the team, but I'm also for having talent.

Mike Fisher might have more heart and character than anyone else in the league. But he was also an offensive blackhole in the playoffs.

Between the two, sorry, I'd rather have Radulov. You can balance out a "character issue" (and this had better be about more than just the curfew issue) by surrounding players like this with the right guys. But you can't make a "heart and soul" player suddenly score beyond his talent.
While that's true, you can't have a heart and soul guy laying it out on the ice every night and abiding by the rules and then letting a more "talented" player do as he pleases as long as he performs on the ice. Charles Barkley used to do that. He'd sit in the stands eating McDonald's and reading the paper during practice while others were out there busting their tails. While his game results were pretty good, the guy never won a championship.

There has to be balance and I agree talent is important but remember, the Heat had more talent than the Mavs last year and look who won that series? It's a team game and you can get by with lesser talent if the some of the parts works well as a unit. The Yankees were always getting the best talent in the league but failed because the pieces didn't work together. I'll take a team full of Mike Fisher's any day of the week because I know the effort is there and he laid it all out there. What I won't do is take a team of prima donna's who are only in it for themselves. What Rads did killed our season.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Glenn, that's a little bit of speculation. Trotz was getting out coached in that series regardless of what Rads was doing.

Our guys also looked gassed compared to the coyotes in most of the games. The will power just wasn't there. Did Rads have something to do with the team's attitude? Maybe, but there was more going on than just one rotten russian.

I would also argue our leadership failed

Old
06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Something's happened with Radulov that isn't getting into the public. That being said, the great thing is he's fulfilled his contractual obligation, and after we learn what happens with him, we never have to listen to this conversation again.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:11 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
hmm well it makes sense. Except that he's still a very rare and exceptional player.

But just looking at stats and his injury situation during the drama, it's still very questionable on who's the loser in this story.
no he is not rare and exceptional.

he dominated the KHL, but in the NHL he was high end ordinary, as I have said many times before, basically on par with Martin Erat, which is nothing to sneeze at, but I think its pretty clear we didnt lose the reincarnation of Pavel Bure.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
Something's happened with Radulov that isn't getting into the public. That being said, the great thing is he's fulfilled his contractual obligation, and after we learn what happens with him, we never have to listen to this conversation again.
For the sake of the Preds fans emotions, I hope this ordeal is settled. I know the tease of Radulov coming back every summer has occurred since he left. It takes a toll, and for your guys sake I hope he's traded sooner rather than later.

I could see him staying in the NHL, just in a spotlight area where he feels he is in the spotlight. He excels in those conditions.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no he is not rare and exceptional.

he dominated the KHL, but in the NHL he was high end ordinary, as I have said many times before, basically on par with Martin Erat, which is nothing to sneeze at, but I think its pretty clear we didnt lose the reincarnation of Pavel Bure.
Sorry, but i disagree. He was, by far, our most dangerous offensive player, and not as streaky as Erat either.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
VFL615*

Its no doubt Rads was the most talented player on the Preds roster while he was here. Rads did not ruin this team. It was an entire team effort that got embarrassed in the Coyotes series. Other people have mentioned that Rads must of done other things besides the curfew incident. It has been said by media several times that he showed up players on the team and that his attitude was not what management/coaches wanted around the young talent on the team currently. It has also been mentioned that a lot of players did not like it at all. With that and what Weber said on the radio a couple of weeks ago i am ok with letting him role. Just do not let other original 6 NHL teams poach him for nothing.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quotes aren't working, so I'll just say this...

Trotz and Poile may have discussed what to do about the Radulov/Kostitsyn incident, but Trotz has final say on rosters. It was ultimately his decision to sit them both for two games, and when he came out and said if the team won Game 3 he was all but guaranteed to play the same roster in Game 4 (meaning, he was going to scratch them both again) he painted himself into a corner. You just don't do that. You go with the suspension. That's fine. You play the game, and you look at what happened on the ice during that game. THEN you make the roster decision for the next game. You don't make decisions for Game 4 before a single shift in Game 3 has been played. Trotz screwed himself there, and I bet he knows it.

The line up in Game 3 worked its collective ass off, sure, and they got a couple of goals early off of some very good work on the forecheck. However, the rest of the game showed the team lacked quite a bit of offensive creativity. I guess that should have been expected since two of the best offensive players on the roster were suspended. But the team won, and Trotz stuck to what he said was likely to happen.

Trotz is a proud man. Sometimes pride gets in the way of our better judgment; I think we can all think of times in our lives when that has happened.

Of course, I guess it's easy to say that we could have used some offense in Game 4 after seeing the results. It's impossible to predict whether or not putting both of those guys back into the line up for Game 4 would have resulted in more goals for the Coyotes, or any for the Predators. After all, the score to Game 5, which featured both, was 2-1.

I also don't see why Poile would say anything about this to the media unless the offers he was fielding just weren't cutting it. Considering his history with handling the media, that just seems like a strange mistake to all of the sudden make.

Radulov is heading to Russia. They are essentially pulling out all of the stops, ethical or not (granted, cultural differences create differences in what is considered ethical), to lure him back. That's not Poile's fault.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

btw, the boards are glitching like crazy lately. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, but it's a system-wide problem.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
token grinder

I posted this on the main forums, so I am sure it will be flamed.

Trading Rads rights to NYR may be a bit of gamesmanship as well. Trading him to NY all but ends their pursuit of Parise.

Parise would then have a choice to make-

go home and wait 2-4 years to have a real shot at winning again.

go to detroit and play on a team with high end talent, ok defense and a decent goalie, which is the situation he is in now

or come here and play through his prime with pekka, weber and Suter (assuming he signs) He would contend year in and year out.

Just a thought

Old
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
SavageSteve

FWIW I would make Radulov a low ball tender so that he can get an offer sheet that will net some compensatory picks if he really wants to stay in the NHL. Else if he signs it, trade him off as a signed player. Don't do him any favors.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Very surprised Poile decided to make this public. I bet this kills his trade value.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
codeman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Very surprised Poile decided to make this public. I bet this kills his trade value.
There has to be a good reason....Poile has been doing this kind of stuff forever. Time will tell, and I'm betting we are going to be perfeclty fine in the end.

Closed Thread