HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Talk Shows Le Match/Anti-Chambre, etc...

Old
06-05-2012, 09:12 PM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Crosby was the first guy to call him and congratule him, before anybody else.. Therrien just confirmed this.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:13 PM
SB164

MT just mentioned that among the Penguins players who called and congratulated him, Crosby was one of them.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:14 PM
deandebean

Wow, that's strong. Much more than Gill's tweet. I can see that Sid the Kid liked a coach with intensity.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:15 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Hope you didn't mean it the way I read it. Playoffs are EVERYTHING.
Winning them is the goal, but we need to stop acting like what happens there tells us more about the players than another short stretch of games might. Cool stories get made, the team winning the Cup gets insanely happy and rightfully so, but as to what they tell us about the teams and their future, they're only 5, 10, 15, 20 games, and that is not a lot.

With the parity in the league, the playoffs are a crapshoot. A weighed crapshoot, but a crapshoot nonetheless. The best team in the league doesn't always win them -- in fact it usually won't. And this is all simply because any team has reasonable odds of going at least 4-3 against any other team.

Basically, you assemble a good enough team then you take your chances. That's what the playoffs really are. It's not poetic and it's not romantic, but those are sentiments team managers cannot afford.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

>>Insert Crosby to MTL Here<<

For real though.. I wonder if this will make Ray Shero wake up and start working on (If it isn't already started) getting Sidney caught up in to a long term deal. Eventhough its unlikely, I don't think the Pens want to take a chance with it.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:20 PM
HomaridII

Martin just said the elements are there to have a very good season .. he feels we need

One top 4 defenseman

One top 6 forward.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Martin just said the elements are there to have a very good season .. he feels we need
One top 4 defenseman
One top 6 forward.
I'd add an extra top-6 forward, but that seems about right. Replace the guys Gauthier traded away and add an extra D to guard against injuries.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'd add an extra top-6 forward, but that seems about right. Replace the guys Gauthier traded away and add an extra D to guard against injuries.
How?

The one extra top 6 forward martin is talking about would slide in here;

Pac - Desharnais - Cole
X - Plekanec - Gionta

Where would your extra one go?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
How?

Pac - Desharnais - Cole
X - Plekanec - Gionta

Injury insurance (because on average your going to be missing a top six forward more games than not) and to make a much better third line when completely healthy.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:28 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Injury insurance (because on average your going to be missing a top six forward more games than not) and to make a much better third line when completely healthy.
That, plus I think we could see good things if Eller got good wingers on a regular basis (DD has kind of been hogging them. )

Old
06-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
How?

Pac - Desharnais - Cole
X - Plekanec - Gionta

Ideally, Gionta plays on the 3rd line. I see him complete Eller pretty well.

Martin didn't want to mention names, but it was clear the was talking about Gomez when he said you need to get rid of some guys in order to replace them.
That's 7M off the cap.

And Michel Therrien this season on L'AC was making fun of Kaberle. So, I don't think he's interested in keeping him for another couple of years.

The only good thing about hiring a guy that was on that show is that we actually know what he truly feels about our players/team as he analyzed/criticized them all season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:39 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Winning them is the goal, but we need to stop acting like what happens there tells us more about the players than another short stretch of games might. Cool stories get made, the team winning the Cup gets insanely happy and rightfully so, but as to what they tell us about the teams and their future, they're only 5, 10, 15, 20 games, and that is not a lot.

With the parity in the league, the playoffs are a crapshoot. A weighed crapshoot, but a crapshoot nonetheless. The best team in the league doesn't always win them -- in fact it usually won't. And this is all simply because any team has reasonable odds of going at least 4-3 against any other team.

Basically, you assemble a good enough team then you take your chances. That's what the playoffs really are. It's not poetic and it's not romantic, but those are sentiments team managers cannot afford.
A team's legacy is measured by the championships it wins. Not by the regular season banners it wins. That's a given. If you think otherwise, it's your choice. But history is made with playoff success, not with regular season titles.

I remember the Cups. I don't remember the league titles. I lived through many cups, and many league championships. Regular seasons, for me, and for the sports historians, are fodder.

What is the real legacy left by the Ottawa Senators circa 2000's? Zero. Nothing.

What is the real legacy left by the Detroit Red Wings or the New Jersey Devils circa 2000's? Poser la question, c'est y répondre.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:39 PM
deandebean

Quote:

Oh, and Claude Lemieux AND Patrick Roy say hi.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:43 PM
MathMan

Quote:
A team's legacy is measured by the championships it wins. Not by the regular season banners it wins. That's a given. If you think otherwise, it's your choice. But history is made with playoff success, not with regular season titles.
And yet the playoffs are a rather poor measure of what the best team in any given year is. But the playoffs have never been about crowning the best team, they're about crowning the champion team.

When trying to win future playoffs, it's important to try to build good teams, and to do so, one must not overestimate what happened in past playoffs simply because it happened to be the playoffs. It's data, but it doesn't have significantly more analytical value than regular season games, even if they have more emotional value.

Cups are the objective, but how a team does in five playoff games tells us a lot less about that team than how it does over fifty regular games.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
deandebean

Quote:
And yet the playoffs are a rather poor measure of what the best team in any given year is. But the playoffs have never been about crowning the best team, they're about crowning the champion team.

When trying to win future playoffs, it's important to try to build good teams, and to do so, one must not overestimate what happened in past playoffs simply because it happened to be the playoffs. It's data, but it doesn't have significantly more analytical value than regular season games, even if they have more emotional value.

Cups are the objective, but how a team does in five playoff games tells us a lot less about that team than how it does over fifty regular games.
Win the Cup, baby. That's the only thing that counts. That's what Yankees fans know. Yanks could finish first in their division this season, if they fail to win the last game, it's a failure.

I guess our (very) young and inexperienced fanbase never got to live that and forgot about it (or never knew).

I want results and entertainment during 82 games. I want the penultimate result during the playoffs. Mathman, if you want anything less than that, then I don't agree with you at all about the ultimate goal in sports. And in life, really. I want to be the best at what I do. Do you?

Old
06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
deandebean

Anyways, Mathman, we are born to disagree on most subjects regarding hockey. But I still like you as a poster. You bring very interesting opinions. And in a very mature way.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Therrien on L'Anti-Chambre was so funny, they kept replaying all the things he said about the players like Gomez and Kaberle, etc.... They were all having a laugh WITH Therrien there, having a good time. There's a sport psychologist that's always on the show and he was the one that prepared Therrien for his interviews.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
I know jacques martin will be classy tonight but all this talk about "Étique de travail" from michel therrien is essentially implying that jacques could not handle this team. I wonder if he will question him on how he will make the players play better.
That was so awkward when Therrien said this. JM must have thought "WTH, they had no work ethic with me?" lol

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:28 AM
NewHabsEra*

lol Marc Defoy isnt just ugly as hell (his hairs even worst), but the guy is reporting crap as it was real facts saying that Crawford was no.1 on Bergevin's list some days ago before he apparently cracked under the pressure seeing basically nobody in QC wanted Crawford.. Pure BS wihtout sources.. The guy has basically no credibility and have a tough time admitting he was in the left field all along (just like the entire TVA sport panel ) in that file..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 06-06-2012 at 12:34 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Crosby was the first guy to call him and congratule him, before anybody else.. Therrien just confirmed this.

we must remember Crosby has had recent concussions ,this could explain this

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

One top 4 defenseman

One top 6 forward.

He probably asked that to Gauthier but that moron picked up Kaberle which isn't a top 4 D and traded a top 6 in Cammy for a 3rd liner in Bourque. Glad that idiot is gone!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
And people think Crosby has no class!!!

If he doesn't sign an extension with the Penguins this summer(after July 1st) I might start to get a little excited

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Anyways, Mathman, we are born to disagree on most subjects regarding hockey. But I still like you as a poster. You bring very interesting opinions. And in a very mature way.
I don't think you guys are even talking about the same thing. Not sure why, it's pretty clear though.

MathMan is saying the best team doesn't always win in the PO and he's right. Face a team that has a red hot keeper and you could very well lose, like the Pens and Caps versus us. There's a multitude of examples of better team losing to weaker ones in the POs, for whatever reason.
Nobody is saying winning in the POs isn't important, it is the biggest objective, it's why teams go through the 82 games of the regular season.
His point is that you shouldn't really base yourself on the performance of teams in POs because they are small sample size.

That if you want to evaluate your needs/team, you're better off looking at your regular season performance than your POs. That's true. You will know very little of a team if it gets eliminated in the first round other than it losing. It won't mean they weren't good enough.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ideally, Gionta plays on the 3rd line. I see him complete Eller pretty well.

Martin didn't want to mention names, but it was clear the was talking about Gomez when he said you need to get rid of some guys in order to replace them.
That's 7M off the cap.

And Michel Therrien this season on L'AC was making fun of Kaberle. So, I don't think he's interested in keeping him for another couple of years.

The only good thing about hiring a guy that was on that show is that we actually know what he truly feels about our players/team as he analyzed/criticized them all season.
Same here. A 3rd line of Leblanc-Eller-Gionta would be great.

As for the wingers for Plekanec, I'd like to see Bergevin make a tour de force and get Yakupov at the draft. Then, if he can sign Doan... I know! Just dreaming.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Danadiens

Except Gomez and Kaberle, are there any other players Therrien often criticized on the show?

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote