HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien is new Habs coach

Old
06-06-2012, 08:16 AM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteIdea View Post
How does MT feel about fighting and toughness? Does he carry a goon type player.

Was he the HC during the Todd Ewen era?
Pens had Laraque during his tenure as coach. He played him for 70 games in 07-08. He played Eric Godard for 71* games in 08-09.

*Some games might have been Blysma playing him

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:18 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why do they deserve to be addressed in their own language?
WTK, the Habs are a business. If you go to Toronto you have to conduct your public operations in the language of your customers: English. If you go to Italy, in Italian. Russia, Russian.

So I don't agree with you on this point. I think it's only fair and smart business practice to speak to your customers in their language and in Montreal the languages are English AND French. There is no compromise on that issue. I agree with it wholeheartedly.

What I object to and l'antichambre tipped their hand last week with Bertrand Raymond's bigoted comments is when it's no longer a question of language but one of ethnicity. When this matter of speaking a language becomes a matter of what ethnic group you belong to that's what I object to.

And in Quebec this repulsive attitude "of he's one of us" is very strong. Many people want to make excuses for its presence but those excuses are lame and bigoted. That's where I would agree with you.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteIdea View Post
How does MT feel about fighting and toughness? Does he carry a goon type player.

Was he the HC during the Todd Ewen era?
He said last night on l'antichambre he definitely wants his team to be tough, not sure if they're going to go get a fighter but I expect a couple of bigger bodies especially on the 4th line. Energy type players that can hit and score once in a while

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:28 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm warming up to him.

But really, they could hire Hitler and I'd still cheer for the team.
but only because he plays an offensive game right?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He said last night on l'antichambre he definitely wants his team to be tough, not sure if they're going to go get a fighter but I expect a couple of bigger bodies especially on the 4th line. Energy type players that can hit and score once in a while
He also was a critic of Kaberle's softness during the season.
He ain't no fan of Gomer either.

As for fighters, he seems to always have had some. Odjick, Asham in Mtl, in his last year he didn't have any I think but he did have guys like Quintal or Rivet that always stuck up for teammates and dished out punches if need be. Similar scenario in Pittsburgh.

What I'm really hoping is for Bergevin to get green light from Molson to get rid of players no matter what. If we have to wait for the end of contracts, then it'll take a while, but if Molson is okay to pay guys like Gomez, Bourque or Kaberle to possibly play in the minors, then things may change fast.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Why do they deserve to be addressed in their own language?

Every player, coach, trainer, scout from anywhere in the world is expected to learn English to be employed in the NHL. That is the simple reality.
I am an English fan, do I not deserve to be catered to the same as a francophone fan? What is it about their allegiance to the team that makes it worth more than mine?
Montreal is a beautiful city and it is host to many different cultures. We are not pandering to any pressure from them. Only the political pressure of the quebecois.
I am a fan of this team and even though a lot of the resources, news articles and radio interviews are given in french. I do not complain. It is my responsibility to translate that information for myself. It is not the organizations job to cater to each individual, it is thier job to win. Nothing more, nothing less.
Why do we care about the language spoken in press conferences? If your job is to cover a team in an english sport, it is your responsibility to have the tools necessary (be able to speak, read, and translate english) to do your job properly. No multi-million dollar corporation in the world is going to change the way they are run for people too stubborn to acquire the tools necessary.

I am sorry, the whole notion of deserving it, is completely ridiculous. I am English and I expect nothing out of the team I follow to make a great compromise to service some waning political ideology of mine. They shouldn't for anybody else either. I find a way to read french, translate french. These "deserving" lot can find a way to do what I do in English.
I'm almost certain the poster you are quoting is being sarcastic (I'd use a stronger word, but I cherish my account).

It's funny, because no multi-million corporation would hire a spokesperson who can't understand/talk to the customers. Now, I understand that the coaching job is much more than just talking to the media/the people of the province. But the fact that a lot of people cannot grasp the significance of this issue boggles my mind.

What I don't understand is that somehow, it is impossible for some to disagree with this philosophy yet understand why it is such and not treat it as a silly whim. I personally would like us to hire the best possible coach. But I understand why things are done they way they are. I was hoping Bergevin would have the balls to break this tradition. Even more so with the presence of Savard by his side, who played under Scotty Bowman. But when you really think about it, who's definitely better than Therrien?

Also, I think this whole coaching issue is way overblown. Is Michel Therrien a great coach? By all accounts, he is not. But there was not a single option out there that was an obvious choice. There were no Ruffs, Trotz or Tortorella on the market. You take away the language issue, and you still don't have a single candidate that separates himself from the lot.

Therrien could end up being a good coach for this team. Unlike Crawford, he hasn't worn out his welcome in the NHL, in my opinion. He only had two tours of duty in total, for a total of 7 seasons. He started coaching in the NHL at 38 I think, which is pretty young, and he had time to learn, evolve and mature (as a pro, that is). I would've liked us to give Muller or Boucher the job, but the timing just wasn't right.

I think Bergevin made the right move here. He just "stalled" the coaching stuff over the next two years, until another candidate pops out, someone who's clearly the best guy available. What's the point of giving a guy like Groulx his chance at the NHL if he's not ready? He'll get the boot after 2-3 years, and like Vigneault and Julien, he'll go shine somewhere else as a more mature candidate who has learned from his experience in Montréal.

So yeah... I think those who are complaining about Therrien and bringing up the language issue are just looking for excuses to ***** about this hiring. As far as I'm concerned, Hartley, Crawford or Therrien... Same ****. Wanna extend the possibilities to anglo coaches? Maurice, Brent Sutter, bunch of other terrible coaches are available. They are certainly no better than Therrien.

Might as well just see what happens before we crucify him. But in the end, we needed a coach, and the picking was slim. It's like that episode of South Park where they have to vote between a ****** or a turd, except here, some people have convinced themselves that the only reason the turd is a turd is because he speaks French.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:43 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Yes M.T was named coach of the Habs but the real story behind the story is ROY and why he is not the coach of the Habs.
What happen here???? Refused the JOB? Passed over? wanted to much?
I tell you , their is a huge story behind this thing not told yet.
Roy to give interview? why? damage control? but for who?
Whatever Roy says at the interview, do you believe him? or is it all a spin doctor interview.
someone is looking for drama

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:33 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
WTK, the Habs are a business. If you go to Toronto you have to conduct your public operations in the language of your customers: English. If you go to Italy, in Italian. Russia, Russian.

So I don't agree with you on this point. I think it's only fair and smart business practice to speak to your customers in their language and in Montreal the languages are English AND French. There is no compromise on that issue. I agree with it wholeheartedly.

What I object to and l'antichambre tipped their hand last week with Bertrand Raymond's bigoted comments is when it's no longer a question of language but one of ethnicity. When this matter of speaking a language becomes a matter of what ethnic group you belong to that's what I object to.

And in Quebec this repulsive attitude "of he's one of us" is very strong. Many people want to make excuses for its presence but those excuses are lame and bigoted. That's where I would agree with you.
The language of our customers is English, Swedish, French, Russian, Finnish. We have Swedish fans from Mats Naslunds tenure with the Habs. Russian after the Summitt Series. Finnish from Saku Koivu. This is an international enterprise. It is actually a slap in the face of the many ethnicities and cultures who bleed, cheer and cry for the team to service ONE portion.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlureb View Post
It looks straightforward to me. Bergevin's hiring of a whole brigade of hard-nosed assistants put the lock on co-opting the managerial position in so far as trades and players acquisitions are concerned.

The very day Molson had Bergevin sign on the dotted line, Patrick Roy's fate as HC of 'Les Canadiens' was henceforth sealed by Bergevin's 'looking-over-the-shoulders' insecurity. Molson, and Savard for that matter, knew very well what the consequences of hiring Bergevin would be.

For me, neither McGuire nor Bergevin's ego...one inflated, the other fragile... could bear having their future Hockey decisions potentially vetoed by an omnipotent Patrick Roy as HC. I wrote in one of my early posts that once Patrick Roy sneaks in, he ends up sooner than later owning the place.

Bergevin is working foremost for cv embellishment, ...just as McGuire would have, had he gotten the Job. The only possible way of having Roy as HC would have come from a partnership with Brisebois as GM in a sort of 'Steve Jobs/Tim Cook' Apple extraordinarily fruitful...for highly complementary...tandem. That was by the way my preferred option at the time...and still is. Bold and uncanny. All that Savard and Molson are not...
If the part I bolded is true, it's a perfect reason not to hire Roy.

SaskRinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
JV

It's awful.

Therrien is awful. He's a dreadful communicator, in any language. And he's a whiny, fake tough guy to boot. Can't stand MT. I think he's an embarrassment to the CH.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:44 AM
DDIHH

Quote:
The language of our customers is English, Swedish, French, Russian, Finnish. We have Swedish fans from Mats Naslunds tenure with the Habs. Russian after the Summitt Series. Finnish from Saku Koivu. This is an international enterprise. It is actually a slap in the face of the many ethnicities and cultures who bleed, cheer and cry for the team to service ONE portion.
Yeah! WTK is right! MT won't sell many tickets to Swedes and Finns!

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:44 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
MT is bilingual..what's your point exactly? he should speak 5 languages?

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
It's awful.

Therrien is awful. He's a dreadful communicator, in any language. And he's a whiny, fake tough guy to boot. Can't stand MT. I think he's an embarrassment to the CH.
*yawn*
your arguments are so valid, why didn't MT think of this before he made this choice
I mean, it's so obvious that his communication skills are worse than that of a pet rock. Why the hell didn't MT interview this guy first!! What the hell kind of GM doesn't interview his coaches??

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:56 AM
PKarey Plekoretty

The typical Habs pessimist in me is deflated with this result

I am trying to stay with the positve feelings I've had with the hirings of MB, Mellenby, Dudley and give Therrien the benefit of the doubt. It has been over a decade since he coached the Habs.

Also, as many bad things as you can say about his tenure with the Pens, you can also point to the fact that he made it to game 6 of the Cup Finals, and was nominated for a Jack Adams. Also, being away from the game for 3 years, and doing a 2 year scouting stint for the Wild, may in fact have changed his outlook on the game, including how he communicates with his players.

I am trying to be as optimistic about all of this as possible, and am trying to not to let this dampen my happiness of all the other off season hiring that has gone on.

My only two realistic fears with this at the moment, is that Therrien may in some way deter free agents from wanting to come to the Habs (a problem that I thought would have eroded quite a bit with the hiring of MB and co.) and the other, is that I am afraid his handeling of our young players may hurt/ruin their development.

If he can some how show that my two fears are not realistic or necessary, then I will hold my judgements and give the man his shot, even if it is his second one

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Being a Québécois does not relate to the color of one's skin, their religion or their heritage.

But in principle, and I know this won't be a popular opinion here, one thing binds all Québécois together is the idea that they speak a common language. Maybe not as their main language, but what has been the propeller of many politics in this province over the past few years is the idea that we are using this one language to communicate together. Some hate it, but that's the matter of the fact. You can live in the US without speaking a word of English. You probably won't get much done though. Same applies for Québec and the French language.

Now, I understand that the Canadiens have fans worldwide, and that's nice. But any professional sports franchise should and does, first and foremost, cater to the local public above all. That doesn't mean Russians aren't welcome to cheer for the Canadiens, but you don't see Molson taking billboard ads of Brian Gionta in Moscow. Just like you don't see Pittsburgh Steelers ads in downtown Montréal.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Being a Québécois does not relate to the color of one's skin, their religion or their heritage.

But in principle, and I know this won't be a popular opinion here, one thing binds all Québécois together is the idea that they speak a common language. Maybe not as their main language, but what has been the propeller of many politics in this province over the past few years is the idea that we are using this one language to communicate together. Some hate it, but that's the matter of the fact. You can live in the US without speaking a word of English. You probably won't get much done though. Same applies for Québec and the French language.

Now, I understand that the Canadiens have fans worldwide, and that's nice. But any professional sports franchise should and does, first and foremost, cater to the local public above all. That doesn't mean Russians aren't welcome to cheer for the Canadiens, but you don't see Molson taking billboard ads of Brian Gionta in Moscow. Just like you don't see Pittsburgh Steelers ads in downtown Montréal.
But yet Montreal is a multi-lingual city. With many many many english fans buying tickets to the game. Why cater to a portion of the population? What makes a french speaking fan more valuable than an english speaking fan from the same area? I could see the pressure in Quebec City because from what I hear, it is mostly french, but Montreal whenever I visited was very very diverse.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He also was a critic of Kaberle's softness during the season.
He ain't no fan of Gomer either.

As for fighters, he seems to always have had some. Odjick, Asham in Mtl, in his last year he didn't have any I think but he did have guys like Quintal or Rivet that always stuck up for teammates and dished out punches if need be. Similar scenario in Pittsburgh.

What I'm really hoping is for Bergevin to get green light from Molson to get rid of players no matter what. If we have to wait for the end of contracts, then it'll take a while, but if Molson is okay to pay guys like Gomez, Bourque or Kaberle to possibly play in the minors, then things may change fast.
That's pronounced soffness now. One thing is for sure. Gomez will not be playing much under Therrien. It's more likely the guy is gone before the season starts.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
But yet Montreal is a multi-lingual city. With many many many english fans buying tickets to the game. Why cater to a portion of the population? What makes a french speaking fan more valuable than an english speaking fan from the same area? I could see the pressure in Quebec City because from what I hear, it is mostly french, but Montreal whenever I visited was very very diverse.
Because it's not a portion of the population: it's a majority of the population. Downtown Montréal may be more anglophone than the rest of the province, but the Canadiens' "local" fanbase includes the suburbs and the different parts of Montréal that you probably haven't visited and that are almost exclusively French-speaking. My point being that--and that's only speculation from my part--the parts of Montréal you've seen, the ones that are actually interesting for someone to see, are indeed more anglo because of the need for the staff, residents, etc. to be able to communicate with tourists and visitors.

What you do and what you see as a tourist or a visitor is, most of the time, very different than the every day life of the residents. For instance, I doubt many New Yorkers have been to Liberty Island in the last few years (it's kind of a silly example but I'm sure you get my point). Also, as an anglophone, you would be drawn to section of the city that are mostly English-speaking, whether because you have friends or family that live in such neighborhoods, or because you have no business/interest hanging out in residential districts that don't speak your language.

Plus, you are forgetting one thing that has been mentioned repeatedly: the Canadiens are also constantly appealing to the English-speaking crowd as well. I'm sure you've been to the Bell; everything in there is both in French and English, from the national anthem to the ads on the main screen.

Edit: also, I don't like debating whether Montréal is "diverse" or not, that's not the point. We're talking strictly language. The portion of the population that speaks neither French nor English is tiny.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
coolasprICE

what I want to know - where does MT get his hair transplants from?

He's succeeded to maintain the same patch-up hair job for the last decade.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
what I want to know - where does MT get his hair transplants from?He's succeeded to maintain the same patch-up hair job for the last decade.
The Donald Trump School of Hair and Design

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprice View Post

he's succeeded to maintain the same patch-up hair job for the last decade.
bang

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
gusfring

Not thrilled with the MT hiring. I like Bergevin and Dudley, but I think they had a misstep here.

Hopefully their choice of assistant coaches will help.

Last edited by gusfring: 06-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Because it's not a portion of the population: it's a majority of the population. Downtown Montréal may be more anglophone than the rest of the province, but the Canadiens' "local" fanbase includes the suburbs and the different parts of Montréal that you probably haven't visited and that are almost exclusively French-speaking. My point being that--and that's only speculation from my part--the parts of Montréal you've seen, the ones that are actually interesting for someone to see, are indeed more anglo because of the need for the staff, residents, etc. to be able to communicate with tourists and visitors.

What you do and what you see as a tourist or a visitor is, most of the time, very different than the every day life of the residents. For instance, I doubt many New Yorkers have been to Liberty Island in the last few years (it's kind of a silly example but I'm sure you get my point). Also, as an anglophone, you would be drawn to section of the city that are mostly English-speaking, whether because you have friends or family that live in such neighborhoods, or because you have no business/interest hanging out in residential districts that don't speak your language.

Plus, you are forgetting one thing that has been mentioned repeatedly: the Canadiens are also constantly appealing to the English-speaking crowd as well. I'm sure you've been to the Bell; everything in there is both in French and English, from the national anthem to the ads on the main screen.

Edit: also, I don't like debating whether Montréal is "diverse" or not, that's not the point. We're talking strictly language. The portion of the population that speaks neither French nor English is tiny.
So you think it is right to claim that the francophone fans in the "local" suburbs are better fans than the anglophone fans in those same suburbs and thus should be catered to? All I am saying is if you are making it a point to hire french speaking only coaches, players or managers, then you are saying that the francophone portion of the population of your french fanbase is the single most important part and that they should be catered to at the expense of the rest of the fanbase.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
So you think it is right to claim that the francophone fans in the "local" suburbs are better fans than the anglophone fans in those same suburbs and thus should be catered to? All I am saying is if you are making it a point to hire french speaking only coaches, players or managers, then you are saying that the francophone portion of the population of your french fanbase is the single most important part and that they should be catered to at the expense of the rest of the fanbase.
lol,

In French, we call this "mauvaise foi", you are misunderstanding on purpose. You're smarter than that.

There are no better fans. It's called business. It only make sense for the Canadiens to try and please as many people as possible. Let's say that 60-65% of the Greater Montreal Area speaks French. How does it NOT make sense to catter to them, not first and foremost--this is where you are mistaken--but in part. It's not like Therrien or Bergevin will refuse to answer questions in English.

It's not a question of giving some fans more value, it's a matter of proportion.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
what I want to know - where does MT get his hair transplants from?

He's succeeded to maintain the same patch-up hair job for the last decade.
Looks more like he is on some prescription DHT inhibiting drugs to help preserve the hair he has. He definitely has less hair but not as much as he would have lost if he hadn't gotten on some sort of DHT inhibiting drug/supplement regime.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote