HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Haven't staked in 10 years; should I play hockey?

Old
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
TrueBlue86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Thanks everyone for their comments so far.

I will concentrate on skating first, then hockey.

With skating, is there a natural skill for it or does it all come through practicing?
it's all natural

either you have it or not- no need to practice

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
neksys

Quote:
Thanks everyone for their comments so far.

I will concentrate on skating first, then hockey.

With skating, is there a natural skill for it or does it all come through practicing?
Did you have to learn to write, or could you just do it right out of the womb? What about driving? Swimming? Whistling?

I'm sorry, but this really does seem like a troll thread. Some people might be naturally more athletic or whatever and improve quicker than another person, but skating is just like every other skill you have ever learned: it takes practice and lots of it.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:05 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
it's all natural

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:00 AM
OpenIceHit42

Where are you from? I'd maybe look into HNA (Hockey North America). If your city has a league they have several different levels of play from Beginners up to A (at least St.Louis does).

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
it's all natural

I asked because some people are more talented at skating regardless of how hard they work at it. I'm sure that all NHL players work the same amount on their skating ability, but some have more talented than others at skating in general.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:47 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
I asked because some people are more talented at skating regardless of how hard they work at it. I'm sure that all NHL players work the same amount on their skating ability, but some have more talented than others at skating in general.
well sure, but with hard work most of us can get good enough for beer league level

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Do it, Hockey is a wonderful sport. Who gives a **** if you can't skate, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Do it, Hockey is a wonderful sport. Who gives a **** if you can't skate, you'll get the hang of it quickly.
This! I hadn't skated in 10 years and the last game I played was roller hockey! I just took a week or so of muscle refreshment (it comes back quick) and then hopped out into my first pickup game and had fun.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:57 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
A friend of mine is in this ice hockey group (pseudo beer hockey group) that plays once a week. Although I haven't skated in ten years, it sounds appealing. Do you think this is a good idea? Hockey gear will be expensive though.

(It's a non contact league with varying degrees of skill).
varying degrees of skill? yeah, it's a good idea. Make sure they know you suck at hockey though. Some people hate dealing with that even in a low level rec league(My view was they could shove it. I don't deserve to play because I'm, not as good as you? You can join a better league. I can't)

As far as gear, phone around to second hand gear stores as tell them you are looking to buy a complete set of hockey equipment. Some will give you a 10% discount. Over here, I can pick up smaller skates from goodwill for about $15, and if cash converters has em, same price. Have to be a smaller size, like a men's 9 or under usually. I am a men's 7, and lots of teen boys outgrow those.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yes, by all means, do it!

I definitely recommend those skating classes. You need to learn the basics, and it's easier (and cheaper in the long run) to do it with a good teacher. People at all levels of hockey need to work on skating, even the pros.

Like any skill, some people learn it easier than others, but nobody is born with the ability to skate without some practice and instruction, just like nobody is born with the ability to play classical piano, but some learn it really quickly and some have a higher ceiling for mastery.

Regardless of you ability to learn or the ceiling at which you'll max out, you can have a ton of fun playing organized hockey. There are levels of play and you can stick with the low ones, get exercise, meet tons of good friends, push yourself to learn and grow, and have a nice competitive outlet.

For equipment, check out the threads stickied at the top of this forum, then pop in for questions.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Firestorm

Canadians,

When shopping at brand name stores (like Canadian Tire, SportChek, etc), is there one store that is usually more of a bargain than others? I was at SportChek and the customer service was perfectly helpful even though that some of the prices were high ($150 for a helmet and cage).

Old
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
right now the public rinks are crappy for public skating since it's the summer

i believe only Earl Nichols Recreation Centre offers skating and that's only on Sundays. i went a couple weeks ago and it's brutal with all the little kids

however, there's free skating every day at UWO
i just finished grad school there and am hanging around there for the summer so i still go

it runs mid september- end of june (so one more month!)

mon- wed - 12-1
thurs- 1-2
fri- 11-12

it's tough if you're working during the day. there are 5-10 of the same regulars every time so it's great. a lot of room to skate
My brother went to UWO and Ivey so the amount of money that my parents paid the University should cover the cost of the free skate.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:51 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Canadians,

When shopping at brand name stores (like Canadian Tire, SportChek, etc), is there one store that is usually more of a bargain than others? I was at SportChek and the customer service was perfectly helpful even though that some of the prices were high ($150 for a helmet and cage).
Bargain stores? Nope; Sportchek and Hockey Ex are usually the best for that.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Canadians,

Canadian tire is usually a lower price, but their selection is very limited. Sportchek has a great selection and customer service, but you pay for it, Pro Hockey Life is similar to Sportcheck minus the service.

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
theMajor

vCash: 1329
i just started up 3 or so months ago having never played before. i say do it! its the best decision ive made in a long time

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Canadians,

Canadian Tire is the cheapest, but their selection is all the low end. I wouldn't go near for skates, everything else is fine.

Sportchek is the next step up, decent prices and better selection. Be very wary of their skate sharpening, often times it's an improperly trained high school student doing a 1/2 assed job.

Local hockey shops probably priciest. Might be a bit more, but you'll get the best service, if you get skates baked I'd definitely only go to a true hockey store, and you'll get a decent sharpening job.

There's alot you can save money on, but decent skates I wouldn't cheap out on.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Canadian Tire is the cheapest, but their selection is all the low end. I wouldn't go near for skates, everything else is fine.

Sportchek is the next step up, decent prices and better selection. Be very wary of their skate sharpening, often times it's an improperly trained high school student doing a 1/2 assed job.

Local hockey shops probably priciest. Might be a bit more, but you'll get the best service, if you get skates baked I'd definitely only go to a true hockey store, and you'll get a decent sharpening job.

There's alot you can save money on, but decent skates I wouldn't cheap out on.
I always take my skates to the guy at the local rink who has been sharpening skates for the past 30 years haha. I think rinks have some of the better sharpening shops if you have one with that...

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
You know, I could play goalie?

Or is that a bad idea?
That's expensive.

I'm kinda regretting getting into goalie, as I've spent 1000 dollars already and still gotta spend another 500 I think. That's if I get things at a good deal. I'm not buying everything at once. I got my mask, pads, blocker and trapper and a stick if I play in doors. Pants, chest protector, jock and maybe another stick can wait. Skates seem to be something that will cost me 300 bucks new. Might have to go the used route.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Noir

Do you have Stick-n-Puck around where you're at? If you're on the fence, you can give that a try before you invest fully into the sport.

Getting your feet wet this way will probably be a good indicator if you have the patience (drive or passion) for the sport's learning curve.

BTW, how fast you pick up this sport is totally subjective. I know guys who picked up and progressed with the sport fast; but that's because when they got in, they immediately fell in love with it and are practically playing 3 to 5 times a week in multiple teams and drop-in games combined.

And then there are guys I know of who have been playing for a year or two and are experiencing slow progression but they only play like... once a month, once a week at best... but hey, gotta give it to them. They still stuck around for the sport. (I'm wondering if its other life obligations that keep them from going as much as the other guys)

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Comeback40

Goalie equipment is expensive, but in my league they pretty much play for free

Comeback40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Firestorm

You know, I'm actually considering getting a helmet and cage for the floor hockey I play. This would be unusual for my league because most guys don't have any protection at all). I've had a few close balls with the ball in the head (was struck by the ball once in the side of the head and once just above the mouth (no damage though) over the course of two months).

Maybe I'm being overcautious.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:07 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
You know, I'm actually considering getting a helmet and cage for the floor hockey I play. This would be unusual for my league because most guys don't have any protection at all). I've had a few close balls with the ball in the head (was struck by the ball once in the side of the head and once just above the mouth (no damage though) over the course of two months).

Maybe I'm being overcautious.
Canadian tire: CCM V04 Helmet w/ cage = $50 - That's the helmet I bought when I started up last year. Now I've moved up to the CCM V08 with Bauer x100 visor.

Basically you can find any & all equipment good enough for a beginner at $50.

Don't forget to check out Play it Again Sports at Huron & Highbury in London. They have a lot of inexpensive used equipment in good condition. I'm still using the shoulder pads I bought there last year.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:01 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
Canadian tire: CCM V04 Helmet w/ cage = $50 - That's the helmet I bought when I started up last year. Now I've moved up to the CCM V08 with Bauer x100 visor.

Basically you can find any & all equipment good enough for a beginner at $50.

Don't forget to check out Play it Again Sports at Huron & Highbury in London. They have a lot of inexpensive used equipment in good condition. I'm still using the shoulder pads I bought there last year.
I still have the same helmet. I wouldn't mind an upgrade but its a fine helmet. Won't stop a concussion, but even the top of the line helmets won't stop a concussion.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think any helmet will stop a concussion but it will stop your head from splitting open.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:23 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't think any helmet will stop a concussion but it will stop your head from splitting open.
Yup, nothing will at the moment.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote