HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
Alexander Zaytsev ‏@AlexandrZaytsev

SportExpress says CSKA will pay Salavat ~$8m for Radulov. The agreement has been reached and it will be announced in the next few days.

So thats a transfer fee similar to soccer.. I'm guessing this also means Radulov is unlikely to become a ranger?

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Why would that make it worse?
So you'd have no issue with signing Radulov to a multi-year deal?

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Why would that make it worse?
Because you're committed to him past this season.

A one year deal is the best fit for both parties. Radulov gets to see if he likes to play in NY. The team gets to see if Radulov is a good fit / worth the salary they agree on. And to top it all off, if he does want to stay in the NHL, he's playing for another contract which often results in the player playing his tail off. I don't think it's a coincidence that many players have career years in their last years of a contract.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Alexander Zaytsev ‏@AlexandrZaytsev

SportExpress says CSKA will pay Salavat ~$8m for Radulov. The agreement has been reached and it will be announced in the next few days.

So thats a transfer fee similar to soccer.. I'm guessing this also means Radulov is unlikely to become a ranger?
I'm not sure but I think it's essentially the same as if the Preds trade Radulov to the Rangers...without a contract it only means that CSKA gets the KHL rights to Radulov, not that he is 100% going to go play for them, just like it would be if the Rangers trade for his rights without signing him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post

No. I would prefer it. What is the downside risk? If he bolts to Russia he doesn't get paid.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:39 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:

for the right price per year, no i wouldn't have an issue. you don't include a NMC and if he becomes a problem whether its day 1, 6 months from now or a year+ from now, you waive him and let him go back to russia, cap hit goes away

he is 2 years away from UFA status so he'll probably be looking for a 2 year deal to 'prove' himself and then cash in as a ufa.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
No. I would prefer it. What is the downside risk? If he bolts to Russia he doesn't get paid.
He can't bolt for Russia in the middle of an NHL contract anymore anyway. The environment isn't the same as it was 4 years ago.

After the deal is up, sure... but he'd be a UFA by then and can get a great payday in the NHL too. Especially if he performs well.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:52 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
for the right price per year, no i wouldn't have an issue. you don't include a NMC and if he becomes a problem whether its day 1, 6 months from now or a year+ from now, you waive him and let him go back to russia, cap hit goes away

he is 2 years away from UFA status so he'll probably be looking for a 2 year deal to 'prove' himself and then cash in as a ufa.
You guys are dilusional. 1 year deal, that's it. This isn't NHL12.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
You guys are dilusional. 1 year deal, that's it. This isn't NHL12.
Explain to me why it is a bad idea.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
He can't bolt for Russia in the middle of an NHL contract anymore anyway. The environment isn't the same as it was 4 years ago.

After the deal is up, sure... but he'd be a UFA by then and can get a great payday in the NHL too. Especially if he performs well.
He can if the Rangers allow it, but I don't think we really want to get into that type of situation. He won't get, and probably doesn't want, anything more than a 2 year deal.

NHL teams aren't going to bid against KHL dollars, and no team is going to trade for him unless they believe they can sign him for the price they want.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He can if the Rangers allow it, but I don't think we really want to get into that type of situation. He won't get, and probably doesn't want, anything more than a 2 year deal.

NHL teams aren't going to bid against KHL dollars, and no team is going to trade for him unless they believe they can sign him for the price they want.
Well, that's just semantics. I think of "bolting" as skipping out on his contract. If the Rangers agree to it, it's not "bolting." Not like this matters though, because your point is taken.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Explain to me why it is a bad idea.
Because there will (hopefully) be a new CBA by Sep 15th. We don't know what the cap will be. We don't know how buyouts will change. We don't know if it will still be possible to bury contracts.

Because we don't know how well he will fit into our system. Because we have more important players that need to be re-signed in 2013.

Because Radulov left Nashville while still under contract to play in the KHL. Because he only came back to the NHL after his KHL season was done, so he could burn the last year of his ELC and become RFA.

Because Radulov got suspended for 2 games in the playoffs and nashville has no desire to re-sign him.

Signing him for more than 2 years would be beyond foolish, and even 2 is pushing it. Getting him off the books if he becomes a problem may not be nearly as easy as you think.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Levitate

I doubt Radulov would want more than 2 years...2 years takes him to UFA under the terms of this CBA, which for what we've seen out of Radulov, seems to be the ideal situation for him.

The Rangers would get a guy who is trying to prove he is worth a huge UFA contract, without tying themselves down with that actual contract.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Because Radulov got suspended for 2 games in the playoffs and Nashville has no desire to re-sign him.
He was suspended for 1 game. He was simply a healthy scratch in the game after.

Nashville may not want to re-sign him but part of that decision may be that he's not going to re-sign with them.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Cmox

After reading what Jim Cerny said in the live chat, I get the feeling that one of (or two)AA,Dubi and MDZ will be traded for a scoring forward. Just a feeling.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
After reading what Jim Cerny said in the live chat, I get the feeling that one of (or two)AA,Dubi and MDZ will be traded for a scoring forward. Just a feeling.
Theres definitely a feeling in the air that of all the roster players with notable trade value Dubi, AA, and MDZ are the ones the organization is most willing to part with. I'd like to hang out to AA. He's a solid, solid two-way third line center. For some reason, fans expect too much of him.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
He was suspended for 1 game. He was simply a healthy scratch in the game after.

Nashville may not want to re-sign him but part of that decision may be that he's not going to re-sign with them.
Which still doesn't paint a very bright picture since he is RFA. They will try to trade his rights, but they are obviously willing to let him go for nothing. We at least qualified Zherdev and only let him walk after arbitration. Nashville won't even qualify Radulov. Come July 1st he'll be UFA if he isn't traded and signed elsewhere.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Chief

It's obvious that bridges have been burned in Nashville but that doesn't mean the guy is going to be a problem wherever he goes. Kirk Muller refused to play for the Isles when he was traded there and forced his way out and there were never any problems with him after that. Carter and Richards are doing just fine in LA. Lindros in NY after a rocky relationship between him and his dad/agent in Philly.

What Radulov would mean to the Rangers is unknown but I look at it this way: the entire organization has bought into Torts' system and there's no way Sather would explore bringing in Radulov if Torts was against it. If Torts is fine with it, I'm fine with it. He's got his finger on the pulse of the Rangers and he's the one that would have to deal with Radulov.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Time to look at things a bit more objectively. How does it look to future star UFA's if the Rangers keep signing players to large contracts the a couple years later trading them (Gomez/proposed Gaborik trade), buying them out (Drury), or demoting them to the minors (Redden).
First they will think what kind of team signs those crap players to those contracts. And second Sather atleat bought them out and didnt be stubborn about it.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Theres definitely a feeling in the air that of all the roster players with notable trade value Dubi, AA, and MDZ are the ones the organization is most willing to part with. I'd like to hang out to AA. He's a solid, solid two-way third line center. For some reason, fans expect too much of him.
See, he put up over 80 points in the AHL at such a young age people had high expectations for him, and rightfully so. However, it's been a few years now and I think he's not consistent enough for a top 6 role. He'd he perfect to center the third line

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
See, he put up over 80 points in the AHL at such a young age people had high expectations for him, and rightfully so. However, it's been a few years now and I think he's not consistent enough for a top 6 role. He'd he perfect to center the third line
To put it bluntly, I think Anisimov is soft.

And I think his days with the Rangers are numbered.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
To put it bluntly, I think Anisimov is soft.

And I think his days with the Rangers are numbered.
I agree.

06-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
He's also the proverbial what you see is not always what you get type.

Going back to his draft year, you could see legit first round, top six forward talent. Since then, you see flashes of it, but the end product is often lacking. Some of it seems mental, a lack of confidence if you will, but the reality is that AA has the talent to be more than a nice third line player.

I'm just not sure if he really believes that.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
He's also the proverbial what you see is not always what you get type.

Going back to his draft year, you could see legit first round, top six forward talent. Since then, you see flashes of it, but the end product is often lacking. Some of it seems mental, a lack of confidence if you will, but the reality is that AA has the talent to be more than a nice third line player.

I'm just not sure if he really believes that.
I think you nailed it.

Put Anisimov between two incredibly skilled wingers like Kane and Ovechkin for example and I doubt he looks out of place, and he probably puts up 70-80 points. Even when the pack line was really going, he looked like a legit 2nd line center with upside. But he's just not mentally strong enough to be a difference maker every shift by himself.

Hesitation and over thinking are his downfall.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Lundsanity30

Someone who does a CBJ blog proposed this trade. Dubinsky, Staal, 1st rd pick and the rights to Prust for Nash. Thats honestly a fair trade for both teams, but I'm just not sure I want to mess with the Rangers D, Staal especially. Though its a fair trade for both teams.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote