HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien is new Habs coach

Old
06-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Gaston Gingras

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
Empty Feelings

Last time I felt like this... the Gomez trade

Marc Bergein was making all the right moves until today. A couple weeks ago when Marc Bergevin was introduced as our new GM I was very excited, and hopeful that the habs may have finally turned a corner. These feelings of excitement were amplified with two management acquisitions that seemed to make sense. Everything today came crashing down with the signing of Michel Therrien. It doesn't make sense on so many levels to me. The signing is a problem that extends further than Therrien's inability to coach... but it has provided evidence that Bergevin may not be the right guy for the job. If this is the case, we will be seeing yet another 5-10 years of mediocrity. As a fan, I will support this team through thick and thin... and I will cheer against all odds that somehow Therrien wins over the team, and is successful. However, I honestly just have an absolutely horrible feeling about Therrien, and I now have already began to question Bergevin as an executive.

I think that was our only chance to get Roy. Now I see Patrick Roy with Washington or Québec or... doing an amazing job....too bad
that mistake will come back to haunt us

I still feel the same today, but I think I am more willing to give a chance to Therrien

Gaston Gingras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
I still feel the same today, but I think I am more willing to give a chance to Therrien
Denial -> "Source?"

Anger -> "Worst nomination ever!"

Bargaining -> "Maybe we can trade Therrien and our first to Vancouver for Vigneault "

Depression -> "I don't think I'll ever recover from this. No more hockey for me"

Acceptance -> "Let's see how it goes"

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm warming up to him.

But really, they could hire Hitler and I'd still cheer for the team.
Lol, I'd pretty much say anyone but him.

There is still an issue with Therrien though, and that's the vomit in the mouth syndrome I have when I see his face on the TV screen. There are a quite a few people that cause it for me. Anyone from the cast of Jersey Shore, Pauly Shore, Fred Durst and Mario Trembley are some that come off the top of my head. Every time I saw Therrien's "Pig face" on the Pens bench I was very happy he wasn't on our team anymore.

Sign me up as one of the fans who absolutely hates this hire, he's a crap coach and if we get any success it will be ala Martin (boring and painful to watch on many occasions). I would never hire a coach who lost his team the way he did with the Pens who went on to win the cup without him. I was hopeful with new management but they laid a big time crapola on the fans faces with Therrien.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

And another blow to the supposed insiders all over the net....and what if Roy says the truth? What if he had NO intention of being a coach/GM? What if his ego was never in play here? Strangely, Bergevin cleary didn't fit with Roy or Hartley but was fine with Crawford and Therrien. Tough to know what Bergevin is looking as far as personnality, yet, I guess we have no choice to believe that Bergevin knows best who fits more with himself doesn't he? It is sad for me, 'cause CLEARLY guys like Hartley and Roy were much better candidates than him....but if that chemistry means going in the right direction and save some buttheaded confrontations...so be it. It will have to show on the ice though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And another blow to the supposed insiders all over the net....and what if Roy says the truth? What if he had NO intention of being a coach/GM? What if his ego was never in play here? Strangely, Bergevin cleary didn't fit with Roy or Hartley but was fine with Crawford and Therrien. Tough to know what Bergevin is looking as far as personnality, yet, I guess we have no choice to believe that Bergevin knows best who fits more with himself doesn't he? It is sad for me, 'cause CLEARLY guys like Hartley and Roy were much better candidates than him....but if that chemistry means going in the right direction and save some buttheaded confrontations...so be it. It will have to show on the ice though.
Based on what?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
This reaction was going to happen no matter who was named Coach unless it was somebody like Lemaire. There weren't that many amazing candidates to choose from .. not like GM when Bergevin might have not been everybody's choice but everybody could get behind him being picked.

Therrien, Hartley, Crawford, Roy, Carbo .. all choices that bring some level of controversy and that would have generated disagreement and strong arguments IMO, specially from a large fan base like ours..

Some of the things that get said in here are pathetic tbh. This board is getting harder and harder to participate in.
A reaction of not liking the nomination 'cause we had other candidates in mind is totally fine with me. Geez, I'm doing it...I can't be against myself. Therrien was my 4th choice. I had Lemaire, Roy and Hartley ahead. Come to think of it, I would have had Groulx ahead as well. So Therrien was my 5th pick. So I don't agree with that nomination. But to STATE that the guy hasn't changed....how the heck can those people say this? And then they compare it to when people were frustrated about Gauthier and says it's the same thing while it's a total differenet ballgame. Gauthier had been associated with our team and with Gainey. Gauthier was in charge of pro scouting when we got Gomez. It was not too far fetched to think that both guys were getting along pretty well and had to agree most of the time, since one hire the other as his assistant-GM and vice versa. Sorry, but it's BS to think that you'd keep around a guy that thinks you're idiot by objecting to your trades every single time. Add that to his record prior to his Habs association and people had every right to question Gauthier's ability. And also ADD the fact that as far as I'm concern, a GM is more important than a coach, and hating the move and questioning Gauthier's ability to do so.

As far as Therrien is concerned, it makes NO sense to question Therrien's ability to coach based on his 1st year with us. Where with the same kind of teams, other top coaches have also failed in the past. Then comes the Pittsburgh era, where you can totally question the fact that once he's out, they win the Cup. Yet, he brought them to 2 games from a cup. A team that with Olczyk was at the bottom of the league. And I didn't checked that, but it seems that his actual agent, said that Therrien had to deal with a lot of key injuries the year that he got the boot while Bylsma was able to get all those guys back or something. Is that accurate? Don't know. Didn't check. Yet, reality is that there's just no argument to state that he hasn't changed. Yet, you can dislike him all you want. Somehow though, and I don,t want to put everything in the main boat, I have a feeling that "some" posters that were in love with the past management, were always going with the "we will see" or "let's trust the management who knows more than us" statements, yet seemed to have forgotten that now. While I totally disagreed with those statements, 'cause you don't make a board filled with "we will see" and "we know nothing", we ALL were ready to give Gainey a whole lot of time when he started. Didn't always agreed with him, but he had plenty of patience from this fanbase. Gauthier way less based on his previous jobs and actual job with the Habs, but he had a little....while Bergevin had 1 month. And now this decision is called amongst the worst that this organization has ever took.....Reaction is way too strong. Now, does it mean that it will not be bad.....obviously not. It can turn out to be average to say the least. And we will criticize the move then. But right now we have no idea how he really adapted to this league.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

BANG!
You're

The NHL

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Based on what?
Well it's a board of opinions and personnally, I acknowledge Hartley's record and his ability to have won at every level he has coached. You hear Bergevin stats with the fact that he likes Therrien 'cause he brought results in every league he has coached with the Mem Cup and.....the finals in the AHL and the finals in the NHL....well Hartley was won them. I believed that he has the persona to communicate better externally and internally with whoever he needs to communicate with. I also believed that, personnally, I wanted this organization to start on a clean slate, one of the reasons why I didn't want Brisebois around who, I would have thought, would have had too much of a Gainey/Gauthier impression on him. Then comes Bergevin who represents that who then hire......Therrien who represents the past. Which to me is not ideal and doesn't fit with the "clean slate" approach. Roy with everything that he represents as far as personnallity, and I also believe he is a good bench coach. Sat a couple of times in Boisbriand directly behind the bench and was able to see and hear him work. In a year where there were no CLEAR candidates like Babcock and Co, I had no problem giving this team to a guy who has played thet game, and played it well, a guy that would start with the respect he should based on his playing career, yet that would be able to keep his respect with the decisions he'd be taken as a coach. One thing to start with the respect, another one to keep it. While people talk about his ego, I say that a guy with that supposed kind of ego doesn't run a bus like he does for so many years. Like I said, for having watched him up close, he does use his assistants wisely, assistants that I probably would have welcome with us based on how they seemed to be working.

And I also believed that what the habs need the most is time. Time for Bergevin and Dudley to work their magic. I don't believe we can win the Cup next year, we need some serious tweakings. Based on that, I believe that Hartley or Roy would have bought the time needed by being on top of most fans' lists. It's my belief that the fans would have been more patient with them than anybody else. Time used wisely by Bergevin to build a better team. Therrien will probably have some time but not as much as the other 2.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Et le But

Quote:
I don't get why it's so crazy to think that maybe Roy didn't want the job. He has a good thing going; maybe he doesn't want to be an NHL coach right now, maybe he's waiting for the Nordiques. Who knows.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Well it's a board of opinions and personnally, I acknowledge Hartley's record and his ability to have won at every level he has coached. You hear Bergevin stats with the fact that he likes Therrien 'cause he brought results in every league he has coached with the Mem Cup and.....the finals in the AHL and the finals in the NHL....well Hartley was won them. I believed that he has the persona to communicate better externally and internally with whoever he needs to communicate with. I also believed that, personnally, I wanted this organization to start on a clean slate, one of the reasons why I didn't want Brisebois around who, I would have thought, would have had too much of a Gainey/Gauthier impression on him. Then comes Bergevin who represents that who then hire......Therrien who represents the past. Which to me is not ideal and doesn't fit with the "clean slate" approach. Roy with everything that he represents as far as personnallity, and I also believe he is a good bench coach. Sat a couple of times in Boisbriand directly behind the bench and was able to see and hear him work. In a year where there were no CLEAR candidates like Babcock and Co, I had no problem giving this team to a guy who has played thet game, and played it well, a guy that would start with the respect he should based on his playing career, yet that would be able to keep his respect with the decisions he'd be taken as a coach. One thing to start with the respect, another one to keep it. While people talk about his ego, I say that a guy with that supposed kind of ego doesn't run a bus like he does for so many years. Like I said, for having watched him up close, he does use his assistants wisely, assistants that I probably would have welcome with us based on how they seemed to be working.

And I also believed that what the habs need the most is time. Time for Bergevin and Dudley to work their magic. I don't believe we can win the Cup next year, we need some serious tweakings. Based on that, I believe that Hartley or Roy would have bought the time needed by being on top of most fans' lists. It's my belief that the fans would have been more patient with them than anybody else. Time used wisely by Bergevin to build a better team. Therrien will probably have some time but not as much as the other 2.
I didn't want either Hartley or Roy but now I'd take them in a heart beat over this ass clown Bergy just hired. WTF was he thinking!?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Based on what?
Based on RDS polls.

Didn't you know? The Habs coaching job is a popularity contest and the best candidate is the one with the most fans.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Watch us win the Cup next year, the confusion and incredulity will be worth it.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't get why it's so crazy to think that maybe Roy didn't want the job. He has a good thing going; maybe he doesn't want to be an NHL coach right now, maybe he's waiting for the Nordiques. Who knows.
Not my point. Roy said that he had no intention of playing the GM and had high demands and all....Is he going to say that if it wasn't true? Maybe. Though at one point, if he has a job in this league, if his demands are indeed to play the GM while he's a coach, we will know about it.

Now, as far as really wanting to come on board or not, well he did have 2 interviews....and didn't state that he removed himself from the process. I mean, Damphousse mentioned it clearly why wouldn't Roy said it as well? To make the Habs look bad? Don't think this is where he is in his career.

Having said that, it is EXTREMELY possilbe that the Nords are actually what he wants. He's at home there, and will love to be the one who is the first coach of this 2nd time around. And since I keep saying how time is important as far as Bergevin is concerned, with Roy on board in Quebec, I wouldn't be surprised if he would be able to miss the playoffs for 5 consecutive years and nobody would say a thing in Quebec, first because it's Roy and 2nd because they are just happy to have a NHL team. So clearly Quebec is ideal with him......but let say he takes the job in Montreal.....maybe he could just go in Quebec after his contract ends? Anyway, whatever the reason, Bergevin decided not to go with him. Best of luck with his Remparts....or with the Caps.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Based on RDS polls.

Didn't you know? The Habs coaching job is a popularity contest and the best candidate is the one with the most fans.
Not sure, but I'm pretty certain I answered as far as MY point of view is concerned and it's clearly not related to that.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I didn't want either Hartley or Roy but now I'd take them in a heart beat over this ass clown Bergy just hired. WTF was he thinking!?
We are entitled to want what we want. But what was he thinking? He is the one who will work with that guy 10 hours a day. He needs to fit with his coach. He fitted better with Therrien. What can I say, we can't discuss that. As a fan, we couldn't care less about the "fit" since we are not in relation with any of them. But as a fan, we are entitled to like or dislike any candidates out there based on what we can have an opinion on. But how the coach fits with his GM is not one of them....

Old
06-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
We are entitled to want what we want. But what was he thinking? He is the one who will work with that guy 10 hours a day. He needs to fit with his coach. He fitted better with Therrien. What can I say, we can't discuss that. As a fan, we couldn't care less about the "fit" since we are not in relation with any of them. But as a fan, we are entitled to like or dislike any candidates out there based on what we can have an opinion on. But how the coach fits with his GM is not one of them....
The problem with coaching is that it's really hard to determine who's a good candidate or not. All we know is that Bergevin conducted a--according to Crawford--very thorough interviewing process. My point is, in the end, picking a coach is almost impossible for us "casual" (to varying degrees) fans. Too many variables we're not aware of. I'm sure Bergevin picked Therrien because of many reasons. Of course, he didn't pick a guy he can't stand. That wouldn't make for a very good team chemistry. The coach and GM work closely together. But still, to think that's the only reason he picked Therrien is a pretty big claim.

As far as Hartley is concerned, Bergevin was not ready to make his choice yet when he was hired, and obviously he didn't feel he was that great that he deserved to get the job before the process was over. Had Hartley been picked and the word came out that many interviews scheduled had been cancelled, many fans would be complaining that Bergevin did a lousy, amateur job at picking a coach and speculation as to who was left to interview (including a mysterious, much better candidate that doesn't really exist) would be running wild.

Again, not happy with the pick, but we really won't know much about the coach's work until after he is fired, if ever. Speculating about how bad he is/will be is pointless. The only barometer we'll really have is once he starts coaching, his record (or should I say, the kind of result he gets out of his roster), and the way he uses his players.

One last thing: I believe that the coach's impact is slightly overrated. At least, in the long run. The Blues had an amazing season under Hitchcock, just like the Jackets did when he first took over. Bylsma was coined as an amazing coach the year he won the cup, but never got past the second round with a stacked team ever since (although they did struggle with injuries). Same with Boudreau, who was seen as some kind of coaching god at first, only to be fired after the honeymoon was over.

Judging Bergevin on this hiring is a bad idea, imo. Ultimately, you win or lose because of your players. Don't judge Bergevin on his coaching choice. Judge him on his trades, free agent signings, waiver claims, etc. This will be, in the end, a minor move compared to the rest of his work, I think.

At least I hope.

Last edited by Gabe84: 06-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
A Then comes the Pittsburgh era, where you can totally question the fact that once he's out, they win the Cup. Yet, he brought them to 2 games from a cup. A team that with Olczyk was at the bottom of the league. And I didn't checked that, but it seems that his actual agent, said that Therrien had to deal with a lot of key injuries the year that he got the boot while Bylsma was able to get all those guys back or something. Is that accurate? Don't know. Didn't check.
It's very true, actually. Gonchar was injured from the start of the season, and the Pens' transition game and powerplay were pretty awful. He came back right around Therrien's firing, and put up 19 points in the 25 games he played. It kind of reminded me how the Pens' looked this year with Letang out (i.e. not very good).

The cup was won very much with Therrien's system in place. Bylsma just opened it up a bit, and now that he's had time to implement his own system completely, I actually wish he hadn't and took a few more pages out of Therrien's book. Our down-low zone defensive system is terrible.

MT definitely did a lot of good things while he was in Pittsburgh (like turn Brooks Orpik into an actual defensemen). He got a lot of calls from players thanking him after they won the cup, and Sid was the first to call to congratulate him on getting hired.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Denial -> "Source?"

Anger -> "Worst nomination ever!"

Bargaining -> "Maybe we can trade Therrien and our first to Vancouver for Vigneault "

Depression -> "I don't think I'll ever recover from this. No more hockey for me"

Acceptance -> "Let's see how it goes"
where do you categorize this?
"I'm done with the Habs, time to support another team. Go Kings Go "

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Kings' board ->

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
Watch us win the Cup next year, the confusion and incredulity will be worth it.
we could win the cup, and some would still argue that we really weren't good, that it was a statistical anomaly, and that Therrien was still a bad hire...

gotta be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good.

let's hope Therrien brings a little bit of both with him!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Pr3Va1L

Heck, he promises to make the team a and working one.

Should make guys like Pleks, Gionta and Gorges happy, and develop team chemistry.
I.E. they're so busy hating the coach the don't have time to hate each other

Reverse psycology, I say !

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Anger followed by a warp zone?

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Wont believe it till I see it,lot of rumours floating aroun.
Like the rumour about Josh Gorges being the captain of the Kelowna Rockets? I'd really like to get to the bottom of that.

Is that still a joke around here? Yes? I'm cool?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Like the rumour about Josh Gorges being the captain of the Kelowna Rockets? I'd really like to get to the bottom of that.

Is that still a joke around here? Yes? I'm cool?
You really think it's a joke?

Really?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Boardish

Therrien was the runner up for the job in New Jersey. If DeBoer wasn't available during their hiring process, Therrien would maybe be coaching the Devils right now (not saying he would be in the finals). Does that make Lamoriello a bad GM? Why would New Jersey be interested in a talentless french coach?

At least give the guy a chance.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote