HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Price argument

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
  #26
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,492
vCash: 137
Trade Price, then draft Malcolm Subban 1st overall.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
  #27
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Trade Price, then draft Malcolm Subban 1st overall.
With PK on stage making the selection

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
  #28
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post


Skip to around the 5:20 mark please.
Bob Gainey's word on something isn't particularly convincing. This game has long passed him by.

I agree Lafontaine.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
  #29
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 50
I could see a deal to Minny for Josh Harding and some players/picks working out for us fills the hole and gives us more picks or prospects etc.

29dryden29 is online now  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
  #30
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Bob Gainey's word on something isn't particularly convincing. This game has long passed him by.

I agree Lafontaine.
have you watched 10 games last yr too? Must have...Tell me what is your "argument"?

Jmac1160* is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
  #31
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Threads like this just shake my head. Price is one of, if not THE biggest reason why this team could go from a lottery team to a divisional contender next year.

You can put all the blame you'd like on Price...but for all intents and purposes the Habs were playing with a 43 million dollar payroll last year and had an inexperienced coach who was over his head.

The only real issue I have with Price is that he clearly cost the Habs the 2nd, or maybe even 1st overall pick with his play last year.

The weirdest thing is all of hte stuff you say...you provide no real evidence as to why you think Price is overrated...just inane remarks that are nothing more than biased opinions based on mostly nothing.

Also when you continually go on and on about the same thing, it doesn't matter what it is, you're going to face ridicule because people will recognize you have literally nothing worthwhile to add to any conversations so you just harp on the same thing over and over again.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
  #32
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Threads like this just shake my head. Price is one of, if not THE biggest reason why this team could go from a lottery team to a divisional contender next year.

You can put all the blame you'd like on Price...but for all intents and purposes the Habs were playing with a 43 million dollar payroll last year and had an inexperienced coach who was over his head.

The only real issue I have with Price is that he clearly cost the Habs the 2nd, or maybe even 1st overall pick with his play last year.

The weirdest thing is all of hte stuff you say...you provide no real evidence as to why you think Price is overrated...just inane remarks that are nothing more than biased opinions based on mostly nothing.

Also when you continually go on and on about the same thing, it doesn't matter what it is, you're going to face ridicule because people will recognize you have literally nothing worthwhile to add to any conversations so you just harp on the same thing over and over again.
He is a leafs fan who wants to stir the pot. I would rather say I am a leafs fan at least rather than calling myself a habs fan and only watching 10 games all last season. Either way he is wrong and he sees that since he's suddenly disappeared

Jmac1160* is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
  #33
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
have you watched 10 games last yr too? Must have...Tell me what is your "argument"?
yes

and here is the list of games he watched

MAR 30 '12 MTL @ NYR L 4 29 25 .862 0 0 60:00 2 2 0 0
MAR 21 '12 MTL @ BUF L 3 31 28 .903 0 0 58:08 2 1 0 0
MAR 6 '12 MTL @ CGY L 5 34 29 .853 0 0 58:31 5 0 0 0
MAR 3 '12 TOR @ MTL L 3 42 39 .929 0 0 59:35 2 1 0 0
FEB 24 '12 MTL @ WSH L 3 23 20 .870 0 0 58:06 3 0 0 1
FEB 21 '12 DAL @ MTL L 3 36 33 .917 0 0 59:45 3 0 0 0
FEB 19 '12 NJD @ MTL L 3 25 22 .880 0 0 57:57 3 0 0 0
FEB 15 '12 BOS @ MTL O 3 34 31 .912 0 0 64:33 2 1 0 0
FEB 13 '12 CAR @ MTL L 4 34 30 .882 0 0 58:15 1 2 1 1
FEB 2 '12 MTL @ NJD L 4 21 17 .810 0 0 58:58 3 1 0 1
JAN 18 '12 WSH @ MTL L 3 16 13 .813 0 0 59:51 2 1 0 0
JAN 10 '12 STL @ MTL L 3 25 22 .880 0 0 60:00 3 0 0 0
DEC 29 '11 MTL @ TBL L 4 22 18 .818 0 0 58:56 4 0 0 0
DEC 22 '11 MTL @ WPG L 4 34 30 .882 0 0 59:57 3 1 0 0
DEC 19 '11 MTL @ BOS L 3 31 28 .903 0 0 58:59 3 0 0 0
DEC 17 '11 NJD @ MTL L 5 35 30 .857 0 0 58:45 3 2 0 0
DEC 15 '11 PHI @ MTL L 4 25 21 .840 0 0 58:40 4 0 0 0
DEC 8 '11 VAN @ MTL O 3 31 28 .903 0 0 64:58 1 1 1 0
DEC 1 '11 MTL @ SJS O 3 41 38 .927 0 0 65:00 3 0 0 0
NOV 26 '11 PIT @ MTL O 4 42 38 .905 0 0 62:09 4 0 0 0
NOV 25 '11 MTL @ PHI L 3 36 33 .917 0 0 59:09 3 0 0 0
NOV 8 '11 EDM @ MTL L 2 13 11 .846 0 0 59:20 1 0 1 1
NOV 5 '11 MTL @ NYR L 4 28 24 .857 0 0 59:24 3 1 0 1
OCT 22 '11 TOR @ MTL O 5 27 22 .815 0 2 61:23 3 2 0 0
OCT 20 '11 MTL @ PIT L 3 32 29 .906 0 2 58:32 3 0 0 0
OCT 15 '11 COL @ MTL O 5 30 25 .833 0 0 65:00 3 2 0 0
OCT 13 '11 CGY @ MTL L 4 21 17 .810 0 0 59:59 2 2 0 0
OCT 6 '11 MTL @ TOR L 2 18 16 .889 0 0 58:16 1 0 1 0

llamateizer is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
  #34
Muminek
Registered User
 
Muminek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I could see a deal to Minny for Josh Harding and some players/picks working out for us fills the hole and gives us more picks or prospects etc.
Why would they want an expensive backup? Why would we want an injury prone backup-starter (I assume you don`t want Budaj as a starter)?
Minny: Backstrom-Price
MTL: Harding-Budaj
Is this really beneficial for the Habs?

Muminek is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
  #35
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012
 
RaMMuT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Palestine
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
I decided to come back and post again because I simply hadn't had enough abuse from the board last time. My basic argument is that Price is terribly over-valued. I can't believe that there are people here who wouldn't swap Price for the first overall pick. Looking at first overall history alone, there is at least a 60% chance that Yakupov becomes a Kane/Ovechkin/Stamkos level player. This is the type of rare talent that Montreal hasn't seen in two decades and could help change the fate of the organization.

Now Price...

My general argument about Price is not that he is a terrible goaltender (though at times in the past I have felt that way), I simply believe that because of his age and background he is overhyped and overvalued. This makes him a great trade asset, but doesn't necessarily mean he is a valuable difference maker on the ice.

Is he a difference maker? I would argue that at his best, Carey Price has shown that he is a very solid keeper, but my question is basically, does he steal games for us? Very few goaltenders have the ability to essentially win games on their own and in four years I've yet to see Price prove that he can make this kind of impact on a consistent basis. So why are we valuing this kid as though he is a Patrick Roy, Dominic Hasek, Henrik Lundqvist... I was a Halak fan because at his best, Halak got us into the play-offs and won a series. Whereas Price, at his worst, has lost us a play-off round.

Essentially, goalies like Price are a dime a dozen, goaltenders who, when in form are solid NHL netminders. There are probably 20 other goalies in the league who could have been in net for Montreal this year and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of our season.

Think Cam Ward in Carolina's play-off run, Halak, Mike Smith this year, Jose Theodore during his Hart season, Giguere in '07. These are/were difference making goaltenders. Price may be a top 10 goalie in the league, but in my opinion, to prefer that over a genuinely unique, game changing scoring threat is short-minded and naive. When I blasted "fan-boys" in my last thread it was exactly for this reason - no perspective. I have watched this team for long enough to know that even Jeff Hackett and Christobal Huet produced more game changing performances in their time with us than the over-rated Price.

The Price is wrong *****
- Happy Gilmore
You must be one of those die hard Halak fans that still didn't get over his trade, and wants to bash Price at every opportunity available!


RaMMuT is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:31 PM
  #36
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
yes

and here is the list of games he watched

MAR 30 '12 MTL @ NYR L 4 29 25 .862 0 0 60:00 2 2 0 0
MAR 21 '12 MTL @ BUF L 3 31 28 .903 0 0 58:08 2 1 0 0
MAR 6 '12 MTL @ CGY L 5 34 29 .853 0 0 58:31 5 0 0 0
MAR 3 '12 TOR @ MTL L 3 42 39 .929 0 0 59:35 2 1 0 0
FEB 24 '12 MTL @ WSH L 3 23 20 .870 0 0 58:06 3 0 0 1
FEB 21 '12 DAL @ MTL L 3 36 33 .917 0 0 59:45 3 0 0 0
FEB 19 '12 NJD @ MTL L 3 25 22 .880 0 0 57:57 3 0 0 0
FEB 15 '12 BOS @ MTL O 3 34 31 .912 0 0 64:33 2 1 0 0
FEB 13 '12 CAR @ MTL L 4 34 30 .882 0 0 58:15 1 2 1 1
FEB 2 '12 MTL @ NJD L 4 21 17 .810 0 0 58:58 3 1 0 1
JAN 18 '12 WSH @ MTL L 3 16 13 .813 0 0 59:51 2 1 0 0
JAN 10 '12 STL @ MTL L 3 25 22 .880 0 0 60:00 3 0 0 0
DEC 29 '11 MTL @ TBL L 4 22 18 .818 0 0 58:56 4 0 0 0
DEC 22 '11 MTL @ WPG L 4 34 30 .882 0 0 59:57 3 1 0 0
DEC 19 '11 MTL @ BOS L 3 31 28 .903 0 0 58:59 3 0 0 0
DEC 17 '11 NJD @ MTL L 5 35 30 .857 0 0 58:45 3 2 0 0
DEC 15 '11 PHI @ MTL L 4 25 21 .840 0 0 58:40 4 0 0 0
DEC 8 '11 VAN @ MTL O 3 31 28 .903 0 0 64:58 1 1 1 0
DEC 1 '11 MTL @ SJS O 3 41 38 .927 0 0 65:00 3 0 0 0
NOV 26 '11 PIT @ MTL O 4 42 38 .905 0 0 62:09 4 0 0 0
NOV 25 '11 MTL @ PHI L 3 36 33 .917 0 0 59:09 3 0 0 0
NOV 8 '11 EDM @ MTL L 2 13 11 .846 0 0 59:20 1 0 1 1
NOV 5 '11 MTL @ NYR L 4 28 24 .857 0 0 59:24 3 1 0 1
OCT 22 '11 TOR @ MTL O 5 27 22 .815 0 2 61:23 3 2 0 0
OCT 20 '11 MTL @ PIT L 3 32 29 .906 0 2 58:32 3 0 0 0
OCT 15 '11 COL @ MTL O 5 30 25 .833 0 0 65:00 3 2 0 0
OCT 13 '11 CGY @ MTL L 4 21 17 .810 0 0 59:59 2 2 0 0
OCT 6 '11 MTL @ TOR L 2 18 16 .889 0 0 58:16 1 0 1 0
how many of those were 1 goal games? I know he kept us in lots of games. 10 of those games he had a save % over .900 compare that to other goalies and I would say thats damn good

Jmac1160* is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  #37
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
I just wish when people embarrass themselves like that tehy'd stick around to back up their argument and provide more laughter.

But then that wouldn't fit with their MO.

I wouldn't trade Price for a single player in the league. Not one.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:42 PM
  #38
Pr3Va1L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
Essentially, goalies like Price are a dime a dozen, goaltenders who, when in form are solid NHL netminders. There are probably 20 other goalies in the league who could have been in net for Montreal this year and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of our season.
Terrible argument.. Having no goaltender in nets wouldn't have changed the outcome of the season either !

Pr3Va1L is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
  #39
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I just wish when people embarrass themselves like that tehy'd stick around to back up their argument and provide more laughter.

But then that wouldn't fit with their MO.

I wouldn't trade Price for a single player in the league. Not one.
There's several guys I'd trade price for. I just wouldn't trade him for futures even if it is 1st overall. Price was drafted 5th in a better draft and exceeded expectations of analysts so 1st overall for him is meh right now. An established young player like stamkos for price? Cya price.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:52 PM
  #40
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 1340
I would trade Price for the Stamkos and Girouxs of the league, but even at that, you can't win without a goalie. Look at Pittsburgh this year. Look at New Jersey. They have Brodeur who's great, but it's no secret that getting out goalie'd is what's putting the series in LA's hands. Look at Philly every year. Price isn't an all time great, but he's a solid goalie who plays very well. It's pointless to fill a gap by opening a new one.

InglewoodJack is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:57 PM
  #41
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Good news Lafontaine.....there will be a team in Quebec City soon, so you can stop pretending to be a Habs fan.


what a terrible thread. welcome to the ignore list

Halifaxhab* is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 12:59 PM
  #42
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I would trade Price for the Stamkos and Girouxs of the league, but even at that, you can't win without a goalie. Look at Pittsburgh this year. Look at New Jersey. They have Brodeur who's great, but it's no secret that getting out goalie'd is what's putting the series in LA's hands. Look at Philly every year. Price isn't an all time great, but he's a solid goalie who plays very well. It's pointless to fill a gap by opening a new one.
Exactly and in this case 1st overall is a winger. Elite wingers are easier to find than elite centers. If 1st overall was the next malkin, Crosby or stamkos I'd have to think about it but a winger? Meh

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
  #43
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I could see a deal to Minny for Josh Harding and some players/picks working out for us fills the hole and gives us more picks or prospects etc.
At the same time maybe we can give them Tinordi as well

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
  #44
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,780
vCash: 500
Why is this even a new discussion? Lafontaine just gave the exact same arguments as his "Trade for 1st overall" and "The bias factor" threads.

Just a bloody repeat again. Cant we just merge the threads or lock this one down?

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:15 PM
  #45
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Why is this even a new discussion? Lafontaine just gave the exact same arguments as his "Trade for 1st overall" and "The bias factor" threads.

Just a bloody repeat again. Cant we just merge the threads or lock this one down?
No its fun roasting this guy

Jmac1160* is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
  #46
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,773
vCash: 500
Worst ****en thread i have ever read here, what a troll job. Thread ignore is the best feature on this site!

habdynasty is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
  #47
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Exactly and in this case 1st overall is a winger. Elite wingers are easier to find than elite centers. If 1st overall was the next malkin, Crosby or stamkos I'd have to think about it but a winger? Meh
Even at that, I wouldn't trade Price for a pick. I mean, there's more of a chance that the #1 turns into an Eric Staal/Mike Richards style player rather than a Crosby/Malkin/future HOFer. And not to knock the talent level of Staal and Richards, but they're just "very good players", so is Price, so it would be a lateral trade. If someone offered me a player like Giroux, a young, proven, extremely talented guy for Price, I'd accept. But it would have to be a damn sure bet.

InglewoodJack is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
  #48
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Actually I would put money on it that Edmonton would pull the trigger in a heart beat who is better Price or Dubnyk? Just a first for Price is actually the terrible overpayment my friend. Edmonton does need D so say if they did get price (which will never ever happen by the way...what a joke) they could trade Dubnyk OR JUST DRAFT RYAN MURRAY which they should do.
I don't know about that.

I mean smart money says you take the established young player and trade the potential unknown, but at this juncture I'm not sure they want to do this. Yes, Price is miles above Dubnyk, but is Price miles above Dubnyk + Yapukov (or Dubnyk + Murray).

Trading goalies is always a funny thing that way. Their value to a team is more dependent on the current state of the team than any other position. But that's neither here nor there.

I agree, if Edmonton wants Ryan Murray they should draft him. And that's why Montreal's offer can be lower than Price/Subban & our first (something Lafontaine proposed elsewhere). Essentially you say to Edmonton "we're not going to draft Murray, and Columbus isn't going to draft Murray (we've paid them off) so you can take Murray first, or you can take Murray third and get an upgrade on your third rounder (to a second rounder) and Weber besides".

idk is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:45 PM
  #49
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
I really wish I could help you out because he is overrated but atm we have nobody to replace him so it would be suicide to trade him.

the is offline  
Old
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
  #50
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
I decided to come back and post again because I simply hadn't had enough abuse from the board last time. My basic argument is that Price is terribly over-valued. I can't believe that there are people here who wouldn't swap Price for the first overall pick. Looking at first overall history alone, there is at least a 60% chance that Yakupov becomes a Kane/Ovechkin/Stamkos level player. This is the type of rare talent that Montreal hasn't seen in two decades and could help change the fate of the organization.

Now Price...

My general argument about Price is not that he is a terrible goaltender (though at times in the past I have felt that way), I simply believe that because of his age and background he is overhyped and overvalued. This makes him a great trade asset, but doesn't necessarily mean he is a valuable difference maker on the ice.

Is he a difference maker? I would argue that at his best, Carey Price has shown that he is a very solid keeper, but my question is basically, does he steal games for us? Very few goaltenders have the ability to essentially win games on their own and in four years I've yet to see Price prove that he can make this kind of impact on a consistent basis. So why are we valuing this kid as though he is a Patrick Roy, Dominic Hasek, Henrik Lundqvist... I was a Halak fan because at his best, Halak got us into the play-offs and won a series. Whereas Price, at his worst, has lost us a play-off round.

Essentially, goalies like Price are a dime a dozen, goaltenders who, when in form are solid NHL netminders. There are probably 20 other goalies in the league who could have been in net for Montreal this year and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of our season.

Think Cam Ward in Carolina's play-off run, Halak, Mike Smith this year, Jose Theodore during his Hart season, Giguere in '07. These are/were difference making goaltenders. Price may be a top 10 goalie in the league, but in my opinion, to prefer that over a genuinely unique, game changing scoring threat is short-minded and naive. When I blasted "fan-boys" in my last thread it was exactly for this reason - no perspective. I have watched this team for long enough to know that even Jeff Hackett and Christobal Huet produced more game changing performances in their time with us than the over-rated Price.

The Price is wrong *****
- Happy Gilmore
I d be jealous of price too if I was a leaf fan.

haburger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.