HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Radulov become a Hab?

Old
06-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
I firmly believe you don't win with players that put themselves before the team.

And that's what Radulov did.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Et le But

Therrien would probably murder Radu.

But I have no problem making him an offer. We could use any talent we can get on the wings. But the talk about him being a superstar or a hero in Montreal like the city cares about what he did in Quebec City, is just funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I firmly believe you don't win with players that put themselves before the team.

I agree, that doesn't mean Radulov is not a dangerous weapon. But he's a mercenary and should be treated as such. What he did at the CHL and KHL level is irrelevant when he's already showed in the NHL he puts himself first.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Roulin

Radulov is a serious player. The Habs need skilled wingers. I wouldn't want a broken curfew to keep the Habs from getting better. Remember Corson and Chelios? In hindsight, would anyone call them heartless?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:08 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post
You really think that Poile would have suspended him in the middle of the playoffs, when his team is losing 2-0, for being late of only 45 mins on a quiet evening? C'mon. It does not make sense. He wasnt suspended only for 1 game but for 2.

Perhaps he saw an opening to get him off his roster when that happened. Maybe he thought that Radulov puts himself before the team, or that he was a cancer in the room. Why get rid of him so easily now... at 26.. in his prime if he is for sure going to stay in NHL.

Radulov is too risky. Plain and simple.

And I would take Darche on my team before Radulov. You know what to expect from him, you know that he will give you his 110%. He will give you that extra effort when it matter, unlike Radulov who was M.I.A. in the playoffs....and he cost less than a million
Again, it's your opinion. Radulov is no choir boy for sure but the facts are that he missed curfew. That's all we know.

Radulov is an elite talent. In the first round, he was dominant - even after not playing in the NHL for so long.

Let's offer Darche for Radulov and see if Poile's all over it. You could be right.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
pezcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post

FYI Radulov was Preds best forward in the playoffs.
with a whopping 1 goal and 5 assist...wow...a performance for the ages. Let's give him 10 milion a year.

The whole team sucked vs Phoenix I agree. Nevertheless, would you suspend your "best player" for 2 games when you're losing 2-0 in a series, in a year when you've given up assets to win the Cup because he was only 45 mins late for his curfew? Im telling you guys there's more than that.

Why wont Poile resign him if he's so good. Lets stop gambling guys and go for players who are safe bets and build a real contender.

pezcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
with a whopping 1 goal and 5 assist...wow...a performance for the ages. Let's give him 10 milion a year.

The whole team sucked vs Phoenix I agree. Nevertheless, would you suspend your "best player" for 2 games when you're losing 2-0 in a series, in a year when you've given up assets to win the Cup because he was only 45 mins late for his curfew? Im telling you guys there's more than that.

Why wont Poile resign him if he's so good. Lets stop gambling guys and go for players who are safe bets and build a real contender.
Do you know why Radulov didn't play that 2nd game? This post below by a Preds poster ThirdManIn might help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Quotes aren't working, so I'll just say this...

Trotz and Poile may have discussed what to do about the Radulov/Kostitsyn incident, but Trotz has final say on rosters. It was ultimately his decision to sit them both for two games, and when he came out and said if the team won Game 3 he was all but guaranteed to play the same roster in Game 4 (meaning, he was going to scratch them both again) he painted himself into a corner. You just don't do that. You go with the suspension. That's fine. You play the game, and you look at what happened on the ice during that game. THEN you make the roster decision for the next game. You don't make decisions for Game 4 before a single shift in Game 3 has been played. Trotz screwed himself there, and I bet he knows it.

The line up in Game 3 worked its collective ass off, sure, and they got a couple of goals early off of some very good work on the forecheck. However, the rest of the game showed the team lacked quite a bit of offensive creativity. I guess that should have been expected since two of the best offensive players on the roster were suspended. But the team won, and Trotz stuck to what he said was likely to happen.

Trotz is a proud man. Sometimes pride gets in the way of our better judgment; I think we can all think of times in our lives when that has happened.

Of course, I guess it's easy to say that we could have used some offense in Game 4 after seeing the results. It's impossible to predict whether or not putting both of those guys back into the line up for Game 4 would have resulted in more goals for the Coyotes, or any for the Predators. After all, the score to Game 5, which featured both, was 2-1.

I also don't see why Poile would say anything about this to the media unless the offers he was fielding just weren't cutting it. Considering his history with handling the media, that just seems like a strange mistake to all of the sudden make.

Radulov is heading to Russia. They are essentially pulling out all of the stops, ethical or not (granted, cultural differences create differences in what is considered ethical), to lure him back. That's not Poile's fault.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wouldn't want a broken curfew to keep the Habs from getting better. Remember Corson and Chelios? In hindsight, would anyone call them heartless?
The game has changed since the 80s. Back then you could get away with having a late night out before a big game, or partying a little too much, because the players weren't in the kind of shape they are today. Today, you have to be absolutely dedicated to the game. Eat right, sleep right, pre- and post- game warmups and workouts. Offseason training regimens. Discipline. If you're not doing it, the guys on the other team assuredly are, and will make you pay for those mistakes, especially in playoffs.

A guy like Radulov won't have a long shelf life in this league, and has probably used up any grace to which he may have been entitled. A place like Montreal is the last place to give him a last chance.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:15 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

He would be treated like a king in Montreal. He would be like Kovavlev was. There would be flaws, but because he brings people to their feet, he will be adored. It is that type of environment a guy that Radulov needs. He may not be the best thing for the team but it would be the best fit for him... In the NHL at least.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Radulov is a serious player. The Habs need skilled wingers. I wouldn't want a broken curfew to keep the Habs from getting better. Remember Corson and Chelios? In hindsight, would anyone call them heartless?
Chelios and Corson definitely broke a few curfiews...but when the chips were down they'd sacrifice life and limb to win and defend their teammates. Radulov has always been seen as a guy who's all about himself. This stuff didn't start with the broken curfiew.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Not UFA, we'd have to pay Nashville through the nose to get him.
Only if there is a bidding war. If no team is interested they are going to accept just about anything for his rights.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:32 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

A bit of an over reaction there my friend!

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

bruins won with Thomas last year....

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He's a RFA not an UFA and I'm pretty sure any team trading for him will be given the chance to talk to him before the trade happens (like the Avs were able to talk with Varlamov last year).
Well, any such team will probably have to move fast and talk soon. He has big $$$ offers on the table in the KHL already, and could sign at any moment. He'll be 27 next year.

I wouldn't give up anything for the rights to talk to him, but if the Preds officially allowed it (whatever the process for that is), then I'd be all for at least checking in with him. At $6M per or less, I'd also be quite interested in signing him. So yeah, if you wanted to make a deal with the Preds like conditional 2nd to them for the right to talk to him, then they get the 2nd if we actually end up signing him, fine. There is really only 1 forward better than him on the summer UFA market (Parise) (and maybe one arguably in the vicinity - Semin), and it's unlikely enough we get either, so making a move for Radulov would be great. So long as we don't lose anything if he takes the KHL money instead.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
He would be treated like a king in Montreal. He would be like Kovavlev was. There would be flaws, but because he brings people to their feet, he will be adored. It is that type of environment a guy that Radulov needs. He may not be the best thing for the team but it would be the best fit for him... In the NHL at least.
seriously
this posts convinced about having radulov with MTL!

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Thomas has his personal convictions and did not go out of his way to make this a distraction till AFTER the cup run. And whenever questioned by the media, he has kept his mouth shut and hasn't let his ego get the better of him.

You can dislike his attitude, his personality and his choice, but I believe this is what they call freedom, and he has the right to take a year off if he wishes to do so.

On the topic of selfish players winning the cup, yes it has happen, and will happen. But it is a philosophical approach I prone where I want every member of the organization to put the team before them.

Obviously we're in a business, and this being the "real world", it's hard to ask individuals to sacrifice their opportunities for a team when the team might not guarantee the same in return.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Radulov will go to Rangers. Not a chance he becomes a Hab IMO.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:15 PM
glenn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Roy was his coach ,Radulov loved the "rock star" attention he got in Quebec.
You get the feeling I'm getting?Could be the guy to get the fans back on edge of the seats at Bell Centre.

I'm speculating Radulov will be a Hab

One ques: do you wash the fruit before you eat it....?

glenn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, any such team will probably have to move fast and talk soon. He has big $$$ offers on the table in the KHL already, and could sign at any moment. He'll be 27 next year.

I wouldn't give up anything for the rights to talk to him, but if the Preds officially allowed it (whatever the process for that is), then I'd be all for at least checking in with him. At $6M per or less, I'd also be quite interested in signing him. So yeah, if you wanted to make a deal with the Preds like conditional 2nd to them for the right to talk to him, then they get the 2nd if we actually end up signing him, fine. There is really only 1 forward better than him on the summer UFA market (Parise) (and maybe one arguably in the vicinity - Semin), and it's unlikely enough we get either, so making a move for Radulov would be great. So long as we don't lose anything if he takes the KHL money instead.
I think it works something like this:

- Habs approach Nashville saying they're interested in Radulov
- They agree on a price, but everything is conditional until (and if) Radulov signs a contract extension
- Preds allow Habs to talk with Radulov about his new contract
- If they come to an argement and when the extension is signed, the trade gets filed to the NHL offices and goes trough as any other trade

At least that was the case with Varlamov last year, contract was negotiated before the trade happened.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And the Kings might do it tonight with Jeff Carter in the lineup!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, Thomas has his personal convictions and did not go out of his way to make this a distraction till AFTER the cup run. And whenever questioned by the media, he has kept his mouth shut and hasn't let his ego get the better of him.

You can dislike his attitude, his personality and his choice, but I believe this is what they call freedom, and he has the right to take a year off if he wishes to do so.

On the topic of selfish players winning the cup, yes it has happen, and will happen. But it is a philosophical approach I prone where I want every member of the organization to put the team before them.

Obviously we're in a business, and this being the "real world", it's hard to ask individuals to sacrifice their opportunities for a team when the team might not guarantee the same in return.
For sure but you know what at the end of the day all these guys go for drinks. I think the Preds were a little harsh to be honest and those 2 guys were the best players in game 2. That's the worse part

Now what he did leaving for Russia I agree wasn't cool, but right now with his ELC being up, he would be signing a deal around what he would be making in Russia anyways. So if he is willing to sign an NHL deal, I don't see him going back. Depending on whht the Preds want in return, i'd definitely be interested

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
habitue*

Radulov as a Hab ?

Montreal's bar owners and women are already foaming at the mouth....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If you're a hab fan and want Radulov, I ask for you to leave.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you're a hab fan and want Radulov, I ask for you to leave.
Yes because we are so stacked on the wings right now with the likes or Bourque Darche and Moen in the top 9 that we couldnt use a guy like Radulov

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Rads wouldn't even cost us Andrei Kostitsyn as it did at the trade deadline!

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
And the Kings might do it tonight with Jeff Carter in the lineup!
Not just Jeff Carter! The Kings might win tonight with 2 drunks and a fatty playing as a line.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote