HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tambo Re-signed

Old
06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Spector's hockey tweeted it was for 3 years but not sure if he really knows the term.

Oilers extend GM Steve Tambellini for three more years. From what I've read, news greeted with mixed reviews by Oilers faithful.
Expand

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Tambo has done a fine job really, he took over a team rebuilding, he did the usual. brought in vets here and there to fill rolls. didn't rush the kids ect..

My big concern is that now that the rebuild is entering its last phase, can Tambo turn the corner and build a winner. I guess they have faith the can.

No more bulin, Barker, type signings. We need a GM that can go for it all.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:20 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Tambo's FA signings have been awful.
i dont think it was tambos fault that belanger and eager didnt bring what we expected them to, thats on the coach....whos gone. the barker deal was a fair gamble imo, if he pans out he is a steal.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Maggie the Monkey could have done his job.

Doing nothing shouldn't get you kudos and a contract extension.

Tambo hasn't shown anything to indicate he's a competent NHL GM.
What GM could have with the given situation and contracts he had to work out and move. He had players that hated it here. He had under-performing players he had to buy-out/trade. He had so many negative assets to begin with it was amazing in a horror type fashion for any GM. Then you have fans that over value many of their cherished players (me included). Then you witnessed the injury plagued team that has been riddled with injuries for 4 seasons. Then you had the cancerous players that needed to be moved. Edmonton had to get past that enigma that Pronger really started and snowballed. He had Lowe's terrible contracts to sort.

Not to kiss Tambi's azz, but you must consider all that. This Oilers team since 2007 was a shipwreck. Now that the picture is clear for the first time in his GM position in Edmonton, he can make the essential moves.

This is Tambi's year. I will give him that opportunity. He deserves it. Let's see how he does when its truly the time for him to make a rightful splash so this team that's now full of elite young talent can move into a good team for the first time in years. Not only a good team for one season but for hopefully a decade or longer.!

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 250
Rabble rabble rabble, over and over again.

Whether it's 2 years, 3 years or 10 years, the reality of the situation is utter failure this year could likely force a change regardless of the deal.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
People are irritated because the Oilers dragged it out. They effectively trolled the fanbase. Again.
Funny...i don't feel trolled at all. I knew that this was going to happen anyways, so it's no shock at all. If anyone feels that they've been trolled, then they haven't been paying attention to the Oilersphere.

This is not new news, and we have known he would be extended for a while now. The lolwuts and gifs decrying the extension have me scratching my head...honestly.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Pennertration

I think two years is ideal and three is acceptable.

A one-year deal is pointless. You don't want him GMing for the short term and then having to renegotiate a year from now.

There are no cap implications, so Katz can fire him if he doesn't produce soon.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Muscles Glasses

I am not the biggest Tambellini fan in the world, but he has done alot of good for the Oilers, our farm system before he came in was the joke of the league, and now our AHL team is one of the top teams in the league, our prospect pool is always near the top of league rankings, and on paper it looks like he has set us up very well for the future.

And aside from not aquiring a top 2 defencemen (which I think he expected Ryan Whitney would have been, but you can't predict injuries) he has done ok to fill holes in the pro lineup. We needed depth scoring, so he picked up Ryan Smyth almost for free, we needed help on the Penalty Kill and Faceoffs and picked up Eric Belanger who helped in those areas, and finally picked up a pest who can play a little bit of hockey (Ben Eager)

I know the bad he has done (Dany Heatly fiasco, Khabibulin Signing, AHL Callup Rules) but compaired to the good he has done, in my opinion, it is almost a wash.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:41 PM
dnicks17

Spector's Hockey ‏@SpectorsHockey
Was told Tambellini's contract extension was 3 years. Turns out that's erroneous, #Oilers haven't revealed yet length of his new deal.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:41 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
I am not the biggest Tambellini fan in the world, but he has done alot of good for the Oilers, our farm system before he came in was the joke of the league, and now our AHL team is one of the top teams in the league, our prospect pool is always near the top of league rankings, and on paper it looks like he has set us up very well for the future.

And aside from not aquiring a top 2 defencemen (which I think he expected Ryan Whitney would have been, but you can't predict injuries) he has done ok to fill holes in the pro lineup. We needed depth scoring, so he picked up Ryan Smyth almost for free, we needed help on the Penalty Kill and Faceoffs and picked up Eric Belanger who helped in those areas, and finally picked up a pest who can play a little bit of hockey (Ben Eager)

I know the bad he has done (Dany Heatly fiasco, Khabibulin Signing, AHL Callup Rules) but compaired to the good he has done, in my opinion, it is almost a wash.
I can't give him any credit for the Ryan Smyth trade, when it appears that the trade practically fell in his lap.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Head coach got axed, you have to think someone in pro scouting might not get renewed as well. Oilers pro signings haven't been good

Not sure where to put this, but with Soli mentioned about Stauffer talking about an internal management change this could very well be what is happening.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Rabble rabble rabble, over and over again.

Whether it's 2 years, 3 years or 10 years, the reality of the situation is utter failure this year could likely force a change regardless of the deal.
The world must be ending! I actually agree with Jimmi on something.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
I can't give him any credit for the Ryan Smyth trade, when it appears that the trade practically fell in his lap.
Do you think Lombardi was calling asking us to take Smyth for nothing? I'm pretty certain he would have been asking for a 3rd or 4th round pick at least, perhaps a decent prospect. The fact that Tambo got Smyth for a 7th and a player who was useless here certainly does go in Tambo's favor.

I also still think he got a very good return for Cogliano, Penner and O'Sullivan. He also purged out a bunch of junk like Moreau. His free agent signings have been a wash. Belanger was the worst he's ever been this year, but I don't expect him to be as bad this year. Eager showed a few flashes of what we expected, but for the most part he was bad. But he also had back problems all year. If he has recovered I hope he plays like he has in the past. Barker was a gamble that didn't pay off, but it didn't really hurt us at all. Khabiboulin is his only free agent signing that I really question. I don't understand all the hate he gets. Sure, he hasn't been able to pull off any major trades, but trading crap for gold rarely, if ever, happens.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Because if I was as incompetent at my job as Tambo is at his, I'd probably be in prison.
You're an HF mod at day, burglar by night?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Head coach got axed, you have to think someone in pro scouting might not get renewed as well. Oilers pro signings haven't been good

Not sure where to put this, but with Soli mentioned about Stauffer talking about an internal management change this could very well be what is happening.
Yeah, I have to wonder if that meeting with the pro scouts Tambellini's having this afternoon is going to be of the 5 minute variety:

"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue...I've been extended and so have YOU'RE ALL FIRED LOL!"

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
hockeyaddict101

Stauffer hinting that more internal changes to come this week.

Hmm... Pro Scouting changes?

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
The world must be ending! I actually agree with Jimmi on something.
, maybe the Mayans were on to something.

Seriously though, if the Oilers can't make some noticeable progress, like say in a the playoff battle, then you have to make changes, or atleast I would think you would.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:04 PM
oilfaninvan

If the team improves this year, who gets the credit, new coach or Tambo?

Our pro scouting needs help. Although pro scouts don't sign Russian goaltenders to ridiculous contracts.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post

Our pro scouting needs help. Although pro scouts don't sign Russian goaltenders to ridiculous contracts.
It will be whoever the fans like more, so the Coach most likely.

And you're right they don't, but the pro scouts recommend guys to sign based on their efforts, so they have some sway there.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Yeah, I have to wonder if that meeting with the pro scouts Tambellini's having this afternoon is going to be of the 5 minute variety:

"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue...I've been extended and so have YOU'RE ALL FIRED LOL!"
I think it's long over due, I know it's partially ST's fault but why haven't we lucked out on one of these flyers we've taken? We did okay with Petrell, but that's probably a whole different group of scouts.We need a Jonah Hill from money ball to find a few bang for your buck type guys. Barker, Foster, and Fraser are 3 that come to mind where they tried this and failed. I don't mind the failing, but sooner or later they should find one.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:13 PM
rosemount289

Agreed!!!

Have to agree!.......the thing that saved Tambollini is that the Barons and the Oil Kings did well in their respective leagues and the Oilers won the coin toss for overall number 1!!

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post

just based off of yakupov+young player improvement we go up 15 points.

if we sign good players and go up furthre...tambo.

if we dont sign good players and go up further...coach.

if we dont go up more than that neither.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Too much Tambo hate here IMO. He's done what he was asked to do. And he has also made appropriate trades and signings to allow DD, Hall, Ebs, Petry, and RNH develop properly. He's left room on this team to allow them to succeed (there is more to success than the standings concerning development).

I think OKC, which Tambo had a big hand in, showed some really positive results this year as well concerning development and where the team is at right now.

I agree with the poster that gives the "line in the sand". This is the year where the team must show results in the standings now. If it's another losing year and top 5 pick situation, fire his ass.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Stauffer hinting that more internal changes to come this week.

Hmm... Pro Scouting changes?
One can only hope. Our pro-scouting sucks.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Too much Tambo hate here IMO. He's done what he was asked to do. And he has also made appropriate trades and signings to allow DD, Hall, Ebs, Petry, and RNH develop properly. He's left room on this team to allow them to succeed (there is more to success than the standings concerning development).

I think OKC, which Tambo had a big hand in, showed some really positive results this year as well concerning development and where the team is at right now.

I agree with the poster that gives the "line in the sand". This is the year where the team must show results in the standings now. If it's another losing year and top 5 pick situation, fire his ass.
Tambellini has done nothing to demonstrate he could navigate this team in the salary cap world to be a legitimate contender IMO

As far as OKC goes how many future top 6 forwards/top 4 defenseman/starting goal-tenders do you see there? They were carried by AHL veterans that the Oilers got by overpaying for

Yakupov is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote