HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marty Lapointe named Director of Player Development

Old
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
That is a lot of ex-players adding up... wow.
Yeah. Not good.

A large management group is a good idea, but Bergevin keeps hiring his buddies. He needs to broaden the types of voices he has in his management team. It's starting to look like a giant echo chamber right now.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Yeah. Not good.

A large management group is a good idea, but Bergevin keeps hiring his buddies. He needs to broaden the types of voices he has in his management team. It's starting to look like a giant echo chamber right now.
Not necessarily a bad thing to have 'buddies' working around you. It's easier to be relaxed and honest in a friendly environment, and being friends does not mean you agree on everything.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Saku

I dont like Martin Lapointe. He refused to join us as a player why would we make him a favor and hire him? Because he's unumployed and needs a job? Beside, what relevant experience does he have to earn this position?

Anyway, I'm not gonna loose sleep over this but I would've preffered someone else.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Yeah. Not good.

In his hiring press conference, he said that he would look for people who would challenge him and his ideas.

You're a natural alarmist.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:18 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not necessarily a bad thing to have 'buddies' working around you. It's easier to be relaxed and honest in a friendly environment, and being friends does not mean you agree on everything.
The group Bergevin is putting together is very samey and very, very old-school. I'm not expecting a lot of forward-thinkingness from that lot.

Frankly I'm becoming less impressed with Bergevin with every passing day. Final judgement will wait for roster moves, but he's expended most of my goodwill. Honeymoon's definitely over in my case.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

That's a good news!

He would have been good also in the assistant coach role.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
In his hiring press conference, he said that he would look for people who would challenge him and his ideas.
That is to his credit, and I'll be even more impressed by it when he actually does it.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
His name isnt Marty but Martin! (MAR-TIN) Pronounced the same way as Martin Rucinsky who was never named "Marty"... Why was Martin Rucinski named Martin but a french player named Martin is automatically named Marty??,

Hey lets do the same thing now and arbitrarily name all the player named Bob by the name Skippy. Like skippy Gainey...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
That is to his credit, and I'll be even more impressed by it when he actually does it.
Granted, but by extension being unimpressed before he has had a chance to **** anything up is premature as well.

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

When you're able to believe he's doing it**

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont like Martin Lapointe. He refused to join us as a player why would we make him a favor and hire him? Because he's unumployed and needs a job? Beside, what relevant experience does he have to earn this position?

Anyway, I'm not gonna loose sleep over this but I would've preffered someone else.
He has experience as a pro scout with Chicago... he's not just some random unemployed ex-NHLer.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
His name isnt Marty but Martin! (MAR-TIN) Pronounced the same way as Martin Rucinsky who was never named "Marty"... Why was Martin Rucinski named Martin but a french player named Martin is automatically named Marty??,

Hey lets do the same thing now and arbitrarily name all the player named Bob by the name Skippy. Like skippy Gainey...
Marty Lapointe.

Lighten up, bro.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
So should I expect to pay $60 per ticket in the blues next year?!
Maybe, or 16$ for a small beer...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Granted, but by extension being unimpressed before he has had a chance to **** anything up is premature as well.
This is why I'm reserving final judgement until I see roster moves, but so far all his decisions have struck me as either "meh" (Dudley, Mellanby) or abject failure (Therrien), so my initial cautious optimism is gone.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
The idea to spend some of the Habs' money on a large front office is a good one, but Bergevin has to stop using it to just hand jobs to his buddies and start broadening the types of voices he listens to.
To be fair, he also kept Carriere around and he wasn't his buddy.
Also, it's not because it's his ''friends'' that they aren't qualified. So, no need to get upset over it now. Let's see what happens I guess.
The only thing I can say is that I'm much happier knowing we have a lot of input coming from upstairs as opposed to Timmins being overwhelmed with duties.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is why I'm reserving final judgement until I see roster moves, but so far all his decisions have struck me as either "meh" (Dudley, Mellanby) or abject failure (Therrien), so my initial cautious optimism is gone.
or maybe it's because you like to complain about things for the attention. Either one.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:28 PM
ChoseLa

What i like it's that the new management team is a bunch of guys who never took **** from anyone on the ice. Dudley, Melenby, Bergevin, Lapointe and Therrien (even though he never played) are a groupe of very honnest working individuals who never backed down from a challenge.

I like that a lot.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
What i like it's that the new management team is a bunch of guys who never took **** from anyone on the ice. Dudley, Melenby, Bergevin, Lapointe and Therrien (even though he never played) are a groupe of very honnest working individuals who never backed down from a challenge.

I like that a lot.
It does fit Bergevin's mentality. In the end I'm not surprised with who Bergevin chose to hire, they are all hard working people. It could benefit the Habs as long as talent is brought up too. I don't want a team of Kostopoulos...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

You do realize that Bob is a shortened version of Robert? As in Robert Michael Gainey, also known as Bob Gainey?

Like Martin Lapointe, also known as Marty Lapointe?

Worst. Example. Ever.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
or maybe it's because you like to complain about things for the attention. Either one.
No, that's not it. You're not being fair. Let's give Math Man some credit here.

He's upset because Bergevin didn't go into the basements of the nation and interview the computer geeks who studied quantum mathematics and have created a formula to build a Stanley Cup dynasty.

But what Bergevin knows and mathMan has overlooked is that the geek would never survive daylight. Just like his formula, the geek would go up in a puff of smoke the minute he is dragged screaming and yelling out of his parent's basement.

Last edited by onice: 06-06-2012 at 02:42 PM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Isn't this slightly overkill? I mean sounds good and all but Timmins' role really got shafted. I know we like to say "now he can focus on scouting!" but at same time, I'm 100% certain Timmins said he wants to be a GM one day. Reducing his roles until he's a pure scout isn't exactly a selling point of keeping him here.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:40 PM
onice

Quote:
How did you know Gainey's girlfriend called him skippy?

If you're interested some day I'll tell you how she christened him Skippy. It involved a bra, panties clenched between his teeth and bouncing on his bare toes.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Isn't this slightly overkill? I mean sounds good and all but Timmins' role really got shafted. I know we like to say "now he can focus on scouting!" but at same time, I'm 100% certain Timmins said he wants to be a GM one day. Reducing his roles until he's a pure scout isn't exactly a selling point of keeping him here.
We just hired a new GM, and it's not him. Don't expect anything will be a selling point for him to stay, he's going to keep doing the great work until he's approached by another organization.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not too concerned here. Apparently this is something that Bergevin discussed with Timmins and Timmins told him he had too much to do, plus Bergevin is said to hold Timmins in very high regard. (Arpon Basu said MB described TT as "outstanding").

Old
06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
How is the name argument even relevant? Man, its just a name!

This is a very important step for the organization because it means that we will also expand all levels of our hockey operations. Money is being spent and the new management is working like a team. Everything with Bergevin is team and that is how he is going to build this club. It is for that reason Radulov is not an option for the Canadiens. It is also a major reason why Murray, Forsberg and Galchenyuk are probably their top three for this years draft. They want character people first and skill second.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote