HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien is new Habs coach

Old
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Drive425

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The problem with coaching is that it's really hard to determine who's a good candidate or not. All we know is that Bergevin conducted a--according to Crawford--very thorough interviewing process. My point is, in the end, picking a coach is almost impossible for us "casual" (to varying degrees) fans. Too many variables we're not aware of. I'm sure Bergevin picked Therrien because of many reasons. Of course, he didn't pick a guy he can't stand. That wouldn't make for a very good team chemistry. The coach and GM work closely together. But still, to think that's the only reason he picked Therrien is a pretty big claim.

As far as Hartley is concerned, Bergevin was not ready to make his choice yet when he was hired, and obviously he didn't feel he was that great that he deserved to get the job before the process was over. Had Hartley been picked and the word came out that many interviews scheduled had been cancelled, many fans would be complaining that Bergevin did a lousy, amateur job at picking a coach and speculation as to who was left to interview (including a mysterious, much better candidate that doesn't really exist) would be running wild.

Again, not happy with the pick, but we really won't know much about the coach's work until after he is fired, if ever. Speculating about how bad he is/will be is pointless. The only barometer we'll really have is once he starts coaching, his record (or should I say, the kind of result he gets out of his roster), and the way he uses his players.

One last thing: I believe that the coach's impact is slightly overrated. At least, in the long run. The Blues had an amazing season under Hitchcock, just like the Jackets did when he first took over. Bylsma was coined as an amazing coach the year he won the cup, but never got past the second round with a stacked team ever since (although they did struggle with injuries). Same with Boudreau, who was seen as some kind of coaching god at first, only to be fired after the honeymoon was over.

Judging Bergevin on this hiring is a bad idea, imo. Ultimately, you win or lose because of your players. Don't judge Bergevin on his coaching choice. Judge him on his trades, free agent signings, waiver claims, etc. This will be, in the end, a minor move compared to the rest of his work, I think.

At least I hope.
I was initially angry with the selection of MT, but after careful consideration I've decided it's better to go with the devil you know then the devil you don't. We all have an idea what kind of coach MT is. Like it or not I can't think of any candidate head and shoulders above him in any language so let's get on with it.

While I don't believe the "it's Montreal so everyone needs to speak french" debate, I appreciate your concise description and appreciate more the dynamics of the scenario. That said, if Scotty Bowman 2.0 or Dick Irvin 2.0 came along I would expect the Habs to do everything in their power to hire them as HC.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing. Our Habs to be contenders every year. We want then to be hated, feared and respected by opponents just like they always were from the 50's to the 80's. If that means we hire a coach from Australia or Sri Lanka or Timbuktu I don't care as long as he's the best man for the job.

GO HABS!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I was initially angry with the selection of MT, but after careful consideration I've decided it's better to go with the devil you know then the devil you don't. We all have an idea what kind of coach MT is.
Not always. It's better to get an unknown than to hire someone you know will be bad. At least the unknown has a chance to be better. That was the course the Habs should've taken, but Bergevin might be too conservative for that.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Joe Cole

Mea culpa time.

I said no person involved with a panel show on RDS or TVA Sport would ever make it back to the NHL.

I was proven wrong.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
The problem with coaching is that it's really hard to determine who's a good candidate or not. All we know is that Bergevin conducted a--according to Crawford--very thorough interviewing process. My point is, in the end, picking a coach is almost impossible for us "casual" (to varying degrees) fans. Too many variables we're not aware of. I'm sure Bergevin picked Therrien because of many reasons. Of course, he didn't pick a guy he can't stand. That wouldn't make for a very good team chemistry. The coach and GM work closely together. But still, to think that's the only reason he picked Therrien is a pretty big claim.

As far as Hartley is concerned, Bergevin was not ready to make his choice yet when he was hired, and obviously he didn't feel he was that great that he deserved to get the job before the process was over. Had Hartley been picked and the word came out that many interviews scheduled had been cancelled, many fans would be complaining that Bergevin did a lousy, amateur job at picking a coach and speculation as to who was left to interview (including a mysterious, much better candidate that doesn't really exist) would be running wild.

Again, not happy with the pick, but we really won't know much about the coach's work until after he is fired, if ever. Speculating about how bad he is/will be is pointless. The only barometer we'll really have is once he starts coaching, his record (or should I say, the kind of result he gets out of his roster), and the way he uses his players.

One last thing: I believe that the coach's impact is slightly overrated. At least, in the long run. The Blues had an amazing season under Hitchcock, just like the Jackets did when he first took over. Bylsma was coined as an amazing coach the year he won the cup, but never got past the second round with a stacked team ever since (although they did struggle with injuries). Same with Boudreau, who was seen as some kind of coaching god at first, only to be fired after the honeymoon was over.

Judging Bergevin on this hiring is a bad idea, imo. Ultimately, you win or lose because of your players. Don't judge Bergevin on his coaching choice. Judge him on his trades, free agent signings, waiver claims, etc. This will be, in the end, a minor move compared to the rest of his work, I think.

At least I hope.
That's exactly how I feel. Coaches, from my point of view, get too much praise when they win and too much crap when they lose. Of course, a good coach is an asset to any NHL team, but having good players on the ice is way more important. Judging Therrien's past coaching experience with the Canadiens is a huge mistake to me, just take a look at the roster he had.

It's nice to read you by the way. You make sense, and it's a pretty unique thing over here.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Therrien was the runner up for the job in New Jersey. If DeBoer wasn't available during their hiring process, Therrien would maybe be coaching the Devils right now (not saying he would be in the finals). Does that make Lamoriello a bad GM? Why would New Jersey be interested in a talentless french coach?

At least give the guy a chance.
This. Lou always said that he loves Mike Therrien.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
The problem with coaching is that it's really hard to determine who's a good candidate or not. All we know is that Bergevin conducted a--according to Crawford--very thorough interviewing process. My point is, in the end, picking a coach is almost impossible for us "casual" (to varying degrees) fans. Too many variables we're not aware of. I'm sure Bergevin picked Therrien because of many reasons. Of course, he didn't pick a guy he can't stand. That wouldn't make for a very good team chemistry. The coach and GM work closely together. But still, to think that's the only reason he picked Therrien is a pretty big claim...
I haven't finished reading this post (currently am). But I think it's one of the best posts in this thread.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:49 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
But what we do know of the final candidates that not one of them was Anglophone only. Were any of candidates ever anglophone only? In that way we can say that we reduced the talent pool by not looking at them at all. Its all fine and good when Therrien gets the job over everybody, but if you're only interviewing bilingual candidates, there is no way you can say you got the best guy for the job.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
habitue*

I dunno if the Therrien's experience will succeed, but...

I know that therrien will become the worst nightmare of Rene Bourque and Kaberle... . These two better be in shape and rockin'

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
You really think it's a joke?

Really?

Riley!

Riley? RANDY!

Randy? RILEY!

JIMMY! JIMMY! JIMMY! JIMMY!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Therrien was the runner up for the job in New Jersey. If DeBoer wasn't available during their hiring process, Therrien would maybe be coaching the Devils right now (not saying he would be in the finals). Does that make Lamoriello a bad GM? Why would New Jersey be interested in a talentless french coach?

Interesting. Out of curiosity, where did you hear this?

The Devils have had a mixed track record with coaches, judging by the amount of turnover they have had in that position since lemaire left (the first time).

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:05 PM
la25ecoupe

I think the players would be more exited to have Roy as coach.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:57 PM
MrNasty

Gilmour has a lot of nice things to say about Therrien. BTW, the water in the stick prank is priceless.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...740/story.html

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Gilmour has a lot of nice things to say about Therrien. BTW, the water in the stick prank is priceless.

We don't care what he thinks

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

That's great.

Gillette seems even more of a great owner.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The thing I take away from the Gilmour interview is that he described MT as a player's coach.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu

Quote:

Finally! A player who actually likes MT! Maybe he'll want to sign here this summer

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
MM425

Sigh.

I'm not enthused by Therrien's coaching track record, coaching style, or his personality and I don't think he's a good fit with the players we have.

I suppose I'll just have to get over it.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

If Gilmour said it, it has to be true! Don't mess with Gilmour!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:06 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:

strange, on sportsnet John Shannon keeps saying how he remembers a time when Gilmour yelled at MT to sit down and shut up during a shift when he was on the ice.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Wandering Maroon

When a coach is hired because he's friends with the GM and not because he was the best man for the job, you know that management has a loser mentality. He was hired to appease the French overtly racist media and not hurt beer sales. It would take real courage to hire the best coach available. Ownership and management are gutless cowards. The Canadiens will only win a cup with a new owner. Maybe the descendants of those great French Canadians that founded the team J. Ambrose O'Brien and George Kennedy or maybe not.

Wandering Maroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
When a coach is hired because he's friends with the GM and not because he was the best man for the job, you know that management has a loser mentality. He was hired to appease the French overtly racist media and not hurt beer sales. It would take real courage to hire the best coach available. Ownership and management are gutless cowards. The Canadiens will only win a cup with a new owner. Maybe the descendants of those great French Canadians that founded the team J. Ambrose O'Brien and George Kennedy or maybe not.
If the only reason why he'd hire Therrien was to appease the French media and the fans, why the heck didn't he hire Roy....or Hartley who were WAY MORE popular than Therrien even amongst francophones?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:19 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

I don't have an opinion on this....but Lou also hired MacLean

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
I don't think they were friends. But I will agree that there is something very wrong with today's climate. The French media seems to have a huge impact on the team and the fans. This language issue...IMO...if it stays like this, I can't see the franchise having much success. There seems to be a divide among fans and media.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Based on RDS polls.

Didn't you know? The Habs coaching job is a popularity contest and the best candidate is the one with the most fans.
The Habs' version of "Canada's Got Talent" has failed us all, imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:08 PM
HF-Addict

Anything that makes Mathman unhappy can only be good. Never seen someone believe his "microstat" so much yet proven wrong so many times. Any analysis which come to the conclusion that lack of Lady Luck is the explanation for Gomez scoring woes, can only be laughed at.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote