HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Stephen Weiss and Raffi Torres

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Foppa

vCash: 500
Stephen Weiss and Raffi Torres

Are these two youngsters turning the corner this year?

Very quietly, Weiss now has 5 goals and 10 points in 10 games for the Panthers. Including a 3 games point streak with 3 goals and 6 points.

Meanwhile, Torres has 8 goals in 20 games to lead the Oilers in goal scoring.

Any comments from Oilers and Panthers fans who have watched them game in, game out thus far? Seems to me they have really slipped under the radar.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:05 PM
momentai

It really does look like something in Raffi Torres has finally clicked on. When he was traded, the first thing he mentioned about the Islanders was that he didn't play well when the opportunity was given to him and he was mighty disappointed in himself. Looks like he's taken that to heart.

Torres was brought in relatively slowly on the fourth line and was really only expected to be fourth line agitator/energy type player. It was he himself that basically forced the Oilers and Craig MacTavish to give him more icetime and better linemates. He hit people hard along the boards as he was expected to do. But most of all, Torres shot the puck at most every opportunity.

Currently, Torres has 13 pts on the season and is playing on one of the most consistent scoring lines the Oilers have. Dvorak, York, and Torres. (All from New York :p ) Torres made a beauty of a pass to Dvorak on the cross-crease tap in to tie the game at 3 against Columbus. Looks like a keeper.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:34 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa
Very quietly, Weiss now has 5 goals and 10 points in 10 games for the Panthers. Including a 3 games point streak with 3 goals and 6 points.
Yeah, amazing what happens when the "mighty" Keenan gets fired, and a new coach without an agenda comes in.

Oh, but Keenan is so good at developing players.
The man ruins more kids than he develops.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:23 PM
maximil

I've said it before... Raffi Torres = Wendal Clark?

He hits that hard.

Old
11-26-2003, 03:01 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I think the perception about Weiss is unusual. He really wanted to work on his defensive game last yr and he also needed to gain some weight having played a yr (same thing could be said of Jay Bo). Weiss was demoted to the AHL because he didn't have to clear waivers and it made sense for him to get a lotta mins in San Antonio versus playing for Keenan and getting maybe 15 mins of ice (more than he what he avg last yr). Weiss is a 2-way player and while his stats show he can score, its all those other little things that you don't notice that shows you how complete a player he has become. The one thing that I heard recently, which is ironic to me, is that Gretzky had seen Stephen up in Plymouth and said he should center Pavel Bure (when FL had him) and he'd set up 50 of Pavel's goals. The ironic thing about this is when I see him pass the puck, a lot of times it reminds me of Gretzky's passes. I'm not comparing the 2 at all nor saying that Weiss is as good of a passer. But just certain plays and certain passes make me have to look twice to realize I'm watching Weiss instead of Gretzky.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:36 AM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
The ironic thing about this is when I see him pass the puck, a lot of times it reminds me of Gretzky's passes. I'm not comparing the 2 at all nor saying that Weiss is as good of a passer. But just certain plays and certain passes make me have to look twice to realize I'm watching Weiss instead of Gretzky.
if that doesn't spell homer, nothing does. by the way, lame attempt at covering yourself. richpanther=biased panthers homer all the way!

Old
11-26-2003, 08:05 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

torres wanted outta new york bad....he was NEVER given a real chance and the isles are going to regret it bigtime. i think he's a real keeper.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
torres wanted outta new york bad....he was NEVER given a real chance and the isles are going to regret it bigtime. i think he's a real keeper.
Over here in Edmonton, the Niinimaa-Isbister deal is rapidly becoming the Niinimaa-Torres deal. The way Torres is playing righ tnow take a lot of the sting out of the Niinimaa trade. If Isbister gets going, the trade is going to look really good. Looks like the Islanders may have done it again....

Closed Thread