Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Chai acts like he wants nothing to do with it, thats on him. I'm sure if he wanted it to
be a different tone he could tell the producer and Toucher & Rich would oblige.

I've heard them do some good interviews with Thornton that have been informative.
Exactly. Neely hates going on the Felger and Mazz show, but he does and it's still pretty entertaining even though it's obvious he hates them and their questions. PC could be informative, or at least interesting, if he gave even a half-assed effort. He doesn't, so it comes off as painful.

He cancels more often than not, and what people don't seem to get is that he's basically telling the fans of the Bruins who tune in to hear it that they're not worthy of his time.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Exactly. Neely hates going on the Felger and Mazz show, but he does and it's still pretty entertaining even though it's obvious he hates them and their questions. PC could be informative, or at least interesting, if he gave even a half-assed effort. He doesn't, so it comes off as painful.

He cancels more often than not, and what people don't seem to get is that he's basically telling the fans of the Bruins who tune in to hear it that they're not worthy of his time.
I was going to bring up Neely. he gets it and appears to now enjoy doing it. It wasn't always that way but he understands the fans want to hear from him.

Chis needs to suck it up for what, 8 or 10 minutes and unserstand it's about the fans, not him, not Toucher & Rich.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Chai acts like he wants nothing to do with it, thats on him. I'm sure if he wanted it to
be a different tone he could tell the producer and Toucher & Rich would oblige.

I've heard them do some good interviews with Thornton that have been informative.
They'd oblige? Really?

Color me skeptical. That's not their m.o. Which is fine, there's a place for what they do. But Chiarelli speaks for the franchise, and everyone listening to him is just waiting to leap to conclusions over the least little thing he says. Is it any wonder he's extremely cautious?

Old
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Betrand in first chair gives me nightmares. No thank you.

I'd like to see McAdam as a regular host. Love him when he's a guest, and he handled Mazz's Baseball Reporters show when he was out with his injury and did a good job as host, too. I'm a big Michael Holley fan, and I think that would be a pretty interesting combination.

What about getting some estrogen on the air? Wendi Nix comes to mind as someone that could be good (I love her). Not sure that Jackie M would translate well to radio, but she certainly knows her stuff.
I respect Jackie M's opinion as much or more than anyone else's in this market...not sure she would be interested in leaving print for radio, but that is a great idea.

I think everyone responding to my original query made some good suggestions, I too think that a Curran-Mcadam combo would work well...I think I would pass on Sheppard, he represents too much of what was wrong with eei to begin with.

Unfortunately, they will probably just keep the two goons who are doing it now.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I respect Jackie M's opinion as much or more than anyone else's in this market...not sure she would be interested in leaving print for radio, but that is a great idea.

I think everyone responding to my original query made some good suggestions, I too think that a Curran-Mcadam combo would work well...I think I would pass on Sheppard, he represents too much of what was wrong with eei to begin with.

Unfortunately, they will probably just keep the two goons who are doing it now.
The problem with Curran and MacAdam is that they are reasonable, intelligent and nonsensationalistic. that wouldn't fly in sports talk radio.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Betrand in first chair gives me nightmares. No thank you.

I'd like to see McAdam as a regular host. Love him when he's a guest, and he handled Mazz's Baseball Reporters show when he was out with his injury and did a good job as host, too. I'm a big Michael Holley fan, and I think that would be a pretty interesting combination.

What about getting some estrogen on the air? Wendi Nix comes to mind as someone that could be good (I love her). Not sure that Jackie M would translate well to radio, but she certainly knows her stuff.
I like Sean -- he's articulate, knows his stuff, and appears to love the game. Jackie's great, too, though sports talk radio is likely beneath her. I dislike Holley and his partner (old or new) intensely. A no-nothing per hockey with his snide "Holley Hockey Minute" & dismissive attitude when 'eei was king. Hope he goes down with the ship.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:12 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Sean McAdam, Sean McDonough, Eric Freede, or Sheppard.
Did anyone "raise the bar" with The McDonough Group on 1510 the Zone during the early 00's? That's how desperate I was to shed 'eei. Sean does Mets games now, right? Or college football for ABC/ESPN?

Old
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
Did anyone "raise the bar" with The McDonough Group on 1510 the Zone during the early 00's? That's how desperate I was to shed 'eei. Sean does Mets games now, right? Or college football for ABC/ESPN?
I loved that show.....when I could hear it.

Horrible signal did them in. That was a really good show.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
JiriSlegr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post

i don't sense that from neely. i think he understands they have a job to do, ratings to get and rolls with it. all in all i think he doesn't mind at all and almost likes them.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I miss the NEHJ hockey show with Mick.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
06-06-2012, 03:51 PM
JiriSlegr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

be nice of someone had a televised hockey show like the Baseball Show on Sunday mornings.

sticks and stones not withstanding.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:51 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:

Big time. Mick, Matt and Kevin on the air, on Saturdays were a must listen.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I loved that show.....when I could hear it.

Horrible signal did them in. That was a really good show.
Enjoyed it as well. They would talk golf & other sports I don't care about, but there wasn't any shouting or condescension toward callers.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:14 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:

Remember that guy ("Jimmy in MayNARD"?) who used to call every week, without fail, to go on about Bruins arcana & the old days at the Garden? Can't say I miss the show.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Remember that guy ("Jimmy in MayNARD"?) who used to call every week, without fail, to go on about Bruins arcana & the old days at the Garden? Can't say I miss the show.
Every show has its yahoos that's for sure. But there were some good regulars too. The pre draft shows were by far my favorites. Good info for the hardcore fan.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:23 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Every show has its yahoos that's for sure. But there were some good regulars too. The pre draft shows were by far my favorites. Good info for the hardcore fan.
I loved that guy, Mike in Everett.

He really brought it.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I loved that guy, Mike in Everett.

He really brought it.

Well played!

Old
06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Bertand wouldn't be that bad of a choice. I was shocked when I first saw him on TV, his voice doesn't match up with how big he is. Maybe it's just me who was a little bit surprised he was a whale, other than that I actually like him.

We could always hope Beersy could make a run at the job, he would be my first option.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I'm sure both Boston radio stations will have solid information and insightful analysis leading up to this year's draft.

I'm also sure I'm going to win the lottery and retire to Barbados.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:06 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Bertand wouldn't be that bad of a choice. I was shocked when I first saw him on TV, his voice doesn't match up with how big he is. Maybe it's just me who was a little bit surprised he was a whale, other than that I actually like him.

We could always hope Beersy could make a run at the job, he would be my first option.
No, it wasn't just you...I think everyone was shocked at what Bertrand actually looked like. I had a completely different view of him in my head, and when I first saw him, and actually heard him speak, I legit thought it was a joke that they were playing on the viewers, like overdubbing Bertrand's voice when this big guy moves his mouth. But that being said, I do like him a lot, and I think he is pretty levelheaded. He has done a nice job when he has filled in as host in the past.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:55 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
No, it wasn't just you...I think everyone was shocked at what Bertrand actually looked like. I had a completely different view of him in my head, and when I first saw him, and actually heard him speak, I legit thought it was a joke that they were playing on the viewers, like overdubbing Bertrand's voice when this big guy moves his mouth. But that being said, I do like him a lot, and I think he is pretty levelheaded. He has done a nice job when he has filled in as host in the past.
I couldn't disagree more. I enjoy him as the third-man-in so to speak behind Felger and Mazz but when he gets a platform to actually lead discussion he ends up doing his best Felger impression. The guy is so far up Mike's ass and is trying so hard to emulate him that the weekend shows he hosts are down right intolerable.

Old
06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
EverettMike

Hey Doc and Dupes, why aren't you guys doing a weekly podcast?

Old
06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yes, I liked that show. Ryan Rusillo got his start there too. Overall, it was a thousand times more listenable to than the schlock they were serving up at WEEI.

Old
06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriSlegr71 View Post
i don't sense that from neely. i think he understands they have a job to do, ratings to get and rolls with it. all in all i think he doesn't mind at all and almost likes them.
I think it's gotten better, but when he first started coming on, he was clearly not thrilled about having to answer questions from Felger. Now that he's more comfortable with it, he's giving them some crap back, and it's pretty enjoyable to listen to.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
They'd oblige? Really?

Color me skeptical. That's not their m.o. Which is fine, there's a place for what they do. But Chiarelli speaks for the franchise, and everyone listening to him is just waiting to leap to conclusions over the least little thing he says. Is it any wonder he's extremely cautious?
It's his job, he needs to find a way to do it. Neely finds a way to be interesting and cover topics. I've never heard Chia sound interesting, no matter who he's talking to.

This is a Chia problem, not a Toucher & Rich one IMO. People complained about no hockey talk, then they complain about the quality of the talk.

Closed Thread