HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Rangers soon have the fastest group of forwards in the league?

Old
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Section32

vCash: 500
Will the Rangers soon have the fastest group of forwards in the league?

Gaborik, Hagelin, Kreider and soon Fast...

I know they have some other quick guys as well, but these 4 are dynamic skaters.

Three of them playing shorthanded will give other teams nightmares.

Just curious if anyone knows of any other teams with as good a group...

Section32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Kershaw

Only if Gaborik starts hustling. Until then, there are maybe 10-20 faster teams.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Only if Gaborik starts hustling. Until then, there are maybe 10-20 faster teams.
you mean the guy that scored 40 goals and played 2 rounds with a busted shoulder? ya hustling must be an issue

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
you mean the guy that scored 40 goals and played 2 rounds with a busted shoulder? ya hustling must be an issue
Geez, I never criticized Gaborik in my post.

I just said that if he ever starts utilizing his speed, the team would be really fast. He is good at getting at position, very rarely does he utilize his skating talent, unless it's to get in position.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Right now? No. Collectively this team isn't really a great skating team. They have certain individuals who can skate. But if you want a teams identity to be predicated on speed, then you need more skating consistency up and down your lines.

One skating winger, isn't going to make Brian Boyle any faster. So, in the long run, perhaps. In short run, no.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section32 View Post
Gaborik, Hagelin, Kreider and soon Fast...

I know they have some other quick guys as well, but these 4 are dynamic skaters.

Three of them playing shorthanded will give other teams nightmares.

Just curious if anyone knows of any other teams with as good a group...
I would bet that every opposing teams scouting reports on the Rangers addresses their speed. While not every player has wheels(Richards, Boyle, Stepan etc) the big three Gabby, Kreider, Hagelin I would say are all in top 10 fastest/Best skaters in the league. Cally has decent sheets too. Not the prettiest skater, but I would say he is better than average. But...you add McDonough to that mix too and the club as a whole is definitely a fast team.

On McDonough you never really hear too much about his skating but I really think he is in the same league as the forwards we are mentioning here. being a damn he shows it differently. He closed the gap on Parise on that play in Two or the strides. He is explosive.

I don't know what Faseth or Fast or whatever will add. I guess we should see how this kid does in camp first?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
OverTheCap

So long as Boyle and Rupp are lumbering around, and Stepan continues to look like he is skating in mud, the Rangers will not be considered the fastest team in the league.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Geez, I never criticized Gaborik in my post.

I just said that if he ever starts utilizing his speed, the team would be really fast. He is good at getting at position, very rarely does he utilize his skating talent, unless it's to get in position.
I think Hagelin may have skewed your view of how speed is utilized in the NHL. I wouldn't compare anyone to him because he's a freak of nature stamina wise despite being so fast. I wouldn't ever expect anyone to skate around at the speed and frequency he does. Gaborik does the same thing that most skaters with speed do, which is save energy for a high scoring chance. Kreider also does this.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
BroadwayHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I think Hagelin may have skewed your view of how speed is utilized in the NHL. I wouldn't compare anyone to him because he's a freak of nature stamina wise despite being so fast. I wouldn't ever expect anyone to skate around at the speed and frequency he does. Gaborik does the same thing that most skaters with speed do, which is save energy for a high scoring chance. Kreider also does this.
Yeah, Hagelin has insane stamina and top speed. Whereas Kreider/Gaborik are a lot more explosive and kind of glide and explode to get into position. However, I think Kreider has a faster top speed than Gabby

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:47 PM
GarretJoseph*

Not even close.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Pizza

I still feel Gabby does not move his feet enough. If he played like Hags, he would be a truly dangerous player. I'm talking regular season. I give him lots of credit for playing thru some serious pain in our playoff run.

Having Kreider, Hags and soon Fast will be a big plus. Yes, that + McDonagh could form a particularly nasty PK.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:40 AM
EEDAWGZ

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ,Hags and Krieder might already be the fastest guys in the league aside from Karlson

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Not for nothing, he does pick his spots and he is far removed from his days with the Wild.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Gabby, Hags, Kreids, possibly Fasth (in a year or so), and Cally's got some wheels on him, so does Prusty. Dubi can move pretty well.

Of course, there's also Rupp, Artie, D-Step (I swear I've seen him turn the jets on before), Boyle, Richie, and several others who aren't known for their movement

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:00 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Rangers have the two fastest players in the league. They're not going to be a fast team, they are a fast team. Adding Fast, only helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again ,Hags and Krieder might already be the fastest guys in the league aside from Karlson
Karlson is a beautiful skater with an effortless stride and extremely fast, though there is a play in the Ottawa series where it was Hags and Karlsson and Hags had the edge. Undoubtably, if it weren't Karlsson, it wouldn't have been close.

McGuire, who rarely has anything good to say about the Rangers, regularly boasted how Kreider was the fastest player on the ice in his first couple of games and even said regularly that he was the fastest skater in the NHL.

At 6'3" 230, the fastest skater in the NHL, is a pretty imposing force! I say 2 years running the Rangers win the fastest skater competition in the skills competition. Depending on how good Fasth's wheels really are, it might be 3 years in a row with 3 different players and that's unheard of!

Last edited by vipernsx: 06-07-2012 at 11:12 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Although they have individuals who are fast, their style of play doesn't really allow them to be fast as a group. And those few players who do have speed are the only ones who are visibly fast because of this.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
EEDAWGZ

[QUOTE=vipernsx;50622591]Rangers have the two fastest players in the league. They're not going to be a fast team, they are a fast team. Adding Fast, only helps!

No pun intended , if we're not the fastest ,we will be very soon

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Gabby, Hags, Kreids, possibly Fasth (in a year or so), and Cally's got some wheels on him, so does Prusty. Dubi can move pretty well.

Of course, there's also Rupp, Artie, D-Step (I swear I've seen him turn the jets on before), Boyle, Richie, and several others who aren't known for their movement
Richards has some wheels, movement is definitely not a problem.

Joe : "The move, the penetration!"

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Reijo R

Doesn't matter if you have a fast player.......the entire line must have speed, and the Rangers don't have that type of speed on ANY line. Amazing how I watch the Devils and Kings have groups of guys flying into the offensive zone with speed and control. Something the NYR sorely lack.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think for a TEAM to get labeled as the fastest in the league, they usually play a style more similar to the run n gun system the Caps had before they realized defense matters. It's not about how fast the guys in the system are.

But we very well may have 3 of the fastest skaters in the world on our roster, and it's definitely helpful.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rangers don't have a lot of speed at center.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
chosen

Speed is great. Scoring goals is even better.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Fanned On It

Gabby needs to use his speed more wisely if you ask me... He needs to be able to beat defenders wide and cut towards the net, or something along those lines... Age may start to be an issue for him in this regard.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Gabby needs to use his speed more wisely if you ask me... He needs to be able to beat defenders wide and cut towards the net, or something along those lines... Age may start to be an issue for him in this regard.
In a lot of games he was very fast peeling away from the net...

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

They should give Stepan and Boyle infusions of Hagelin's blood cells.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote