HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur relieved of their duties

Old
06-06-2012, 05:05 PM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I'd rather finish 15th than 9th. I prefer playoffs 10 times out of 10, but finishing 9th is just depressing and your draft pick isn't as appealing.

The head coaching job in Hamilton is Clement Jodoin's. When they promoted the Randys to Montreal, they should have gave Muller the job in Hamilton.

he asked for it and the GOAT shut him down.
Kirk wanted to stay in the organization.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

No surprise here. Good on MT for not dragging this out.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:22 PM
SouthernHab

I hope both find jobs (and they will).

With that said, pleased to see both of them leave. Our defense was passive and our offense was weak and lacking innovation and imagination. Our PP was horrible.

Neither of these guys are worth keeping just looking at the results of last season. Time to move on.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I wanted Ladouceur to be kept in some way. Liked his character.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure what you mean. The new guys like to bring their own pals, no?
I mean that the pressure he was put under was like a revolver to the head. Still showed up for work daily & was very professional. He got through it, made some history & then got strung along in limbo for another month with "NEW" Mgmt to end up losing his job. It's unfair...

Cunneyworth will probably be a trivia Question in 50 years. "Who was the last Anglo Habs Coach?....."

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The thread title is 3 words too long.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Habs8517

This is so unfair to 2 guys who were put in a no win scenario and got discriminated beyond words. Black eye to the Habs and a stain they cant never wash off.

It is such a joke that Martin and Pearn were giving jobs when they were fired and are now still with the team. I suppose speaking french or having a french buddy gives you privilege in the Habs inner circle.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
I mean that the pressure he was put under was like a revolver to the head. Still showed up for work daily & was very professional. He got through it, made some history & then got strung along in limbo for another month with "NEW" Mgmt to end up losing his job. It's unfair...

Cunneyworth will probably be a trivia Question in 50 years. "Who was the last Anglo Habs Coach?....."
Well, the kind of business all those guys are working are kinda unfair. Do every coach that are fired deserve to be fired? I mean, and what if Cunneyworth takes this team and do something great with it? Even if he doesn't coach here....it is possible that the job he did here would ahve been a great interview process for future available openings. So seriously, the way it turned out, might be unfair. But the fact that he got a NHL job, well some would have liked to have had that opportunity. Best thing for him is to still coach a team. Go in the AHL and find a head coaching job. Build a winner and your name will resurface again. Jon Cooper's name and Eakins' name is out there. Why not Cunneyworth?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
This is so unfair to 2 guys who were put in a no win scenario and got discriminated beyond words. Black eye to the Habs and a stain they cant never wash off.

It is such a joke that Martin and Pearn were giving jobs when they were fired and are now still with the team. I suppose speaking french or having a french buddy gives you privilege in the Habs inner circle.
Pearn is still employed by the Habs? Martin still has 1 year left in his contract. While the Randys don't have a contract AND being released make them available to do what they want to do elsewhere which is to coach...

Black eye to the Habs? No way. Black eye to Gauthier for having put him in that decision and then mentioned how sorry he was after.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Cunneyworth seemed like a decent enough guy but he wasn't a very good coach. I realize he wasn't given the best team but he made a lot of questionable decisions IMO. Not someone I would want coaching my NHL team.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I wanted Ladouceur to be kept in some way. Liked his character.
I'll miss the Gomez vs Ladouceur fights. Feel kinda bad for both Cunney and Ladouceur. They were both victims of a series of poor decisions in the organization. Cunneyworth acquired some valuable coaching experience, though. Guy still has a career in front of him.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Habs8517

Quote:
Pearn is still employed by the Habs? Martin still has 1 year left in his contract. While the Randys don't have a contract AND being released make them available to do what they want to do elsewhere which is to coach...

Black eye to the Habs? No way. Black eye to Gauthier for having put him in that decision and then mentioned how sorry he was after.
Yes, Pearn is a scout same as Martin. And it is a black eye because our stupid owner went to the media and said he was sorry to have hired a anglophone, caved to the french media and threw his employee down in the toilet like he was some poop and flushed it to the whole world to see.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Not The One

Quote:

Discriminated beyond words? ROFL!

I guess it is pretty hard to find head coaching jobs in the NHL for anglophones...

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Yes, Pearn is a scout same as Martin. And it is a black eye because our stupid owner went to the media and said he was sorry to have hired a anglophone, caved to the french media and threw his employee down in the toilet like he was some poop and flushed it to the whole world to see.
Gauthier put his owner in that position. The owner had to answer to the dissatisfaction of the people who are putting thier money in his pocket. But at first, it's Gauthier who had no idea in what market he was working in that created the mess. Martin had to finish the year.

And I'd really like to get that confirmation that Pearn still has a job with us. Unless, like Martin, that he still has 1-year left in his contract and instead of letting him eat some chips at home, that he'd do a better job scouting.

Old
06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Don't really understand all the mourning for Cunneyworth. He wasn't put into a "no-win" situation
I think it is best for all parties but are you serious when you say he wasn't put into a "no-win" situation. What I don't understand is how someone could really believe that.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Lebowski

Feels bad for Cunney, but I'm glad at the same time. Therrien did the right thing by turning the page, completely.

And you gotta wonder how it feels for the player to see their previous head coach demoted to assistant coach... Cunney would've took a hit credibility-wise, so my guess is that it's better, for the team, for Therrien and for himself to just start fresh.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:30 PM
HCH

Quote:
Well, the kind of business all those guys are working are kinda unfair. Do every coach that are fired deserve to be fired? I mean, and what if Cunneyworth takes this team and do something great with it? Even if he doesn't coach here....it is possible that the job he did here would ahve been a great interview process for future available openings. So seriously, the way it turned out, might be unfair. But the fact that he got a NHL job, well some would have liked to have had that opportunity. Best thing for him is to still coach a team. Go in the AHL and find a head coaching job. Build a winner and your name will resurface again. Jon Cooper's name and Eakins' name is out there. Why not Cunneyworth?

As always, a good solid analysis of the situation

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:31 PM
BlackStar

So we whine when he gets the job and we whine when he gets fired. My goodness you guys LOVE to whine.

I liked Cunney, seems like a solid man. However, you have to be crazy to think that the two Randy's would stay, and that it was be good for the team for them to.

He will find another job soon. Quit the constant and look forward to next year.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Feels bad for Cunney, but I'm glad at the same time. Therrien did the right thing by turning the page, completely.

And you gotta wonder how it feels for the player to see their previous head coach demoted to assistant coach... Cunney would've took a hit credibility-wise, so my guess is that it's better, for the team, for Therrien and for himself to just start fresh.
Logic, so so rare on this board.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't buy that at all, frankly. The players are still going to want to make the playoffs regardless of who the guy in the suit standing behind them is. We were in 10th (or thereabouts) when Martin got fired, you're saying that the players decided just then to mail it in the rest of the way?

People just want it both ways...they complain that Martin lost the room, and then they complain that our players aren't going to play for a "lame duck" coach when we get a new one.
You can't hire a coach and then announce just a few moments later that he won't be with us beyond this season and apologize for hiring him. What they did was bush league. They made the stupid move of hiring an unproven anglo, they should of stood by their terrible decision.

Completely threw him under the bus to try and save face, disgraceful imo.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Good luck to both Randys on their future endeavors.

Never a good feeling to see people shown the door, but it's a fresh start for both of them now and I'm sure they won't have a problem finding a job at some capacity.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:42 PM
wedge

I feel bad for Cunneyworth. I hope he gets another chance somewhere. Guy has been thrown to the wolves.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:45 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Cunneyworth seemed like a decent enough guy but he wasn't a very good coach. I realize he wasn't given the best team but he made a lot of questionable decisions IMO. Not someone I would want coaching my NHL team.
Could say the same about the guy the Habs just hired.

It's amazing to me how people think a rookie coach can be dropped into a craptacular situation and somehow be successful.

He made mistakes...but again, he was learning on the fly, so it's understandable.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:53 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I can't think of too many coaches who on the day of their hire, was pretty much told there was NO WAY they would be back...publicly at that. Every interim coach has some sort of a chance. Montreal is a different beast. An anglo coach has NO WAY of being retained. So, I wouldn't compare it to the other guys out there who were fired.

I couldn't care less what experience he learned. He was treated like complete **** and it was embarrassing. I'm sure Molson didn't like any of that and even mentioned it ("restoring class") when Gauthier was fired.

You don't think people around the league looked at the Cunney situation and felt bad for him? He was treated like horse dung and I can't condone it or soften the blow by saying the job is unfair or that he got his foot in the door.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think it is best for all parties but are you serious when you say he wasn't put into a "no-win" situation. What I don't understand is how someone could really believe that.
You know what, there was a clear potential win for Cunneyworth this year. Do at all well with the chance to head coach and your probably going to get to do it next year even if it isn't for the Montreal Canadiens. Because its a big stage he was performing on and people were bound to notice if you do well. Hell, he gets tons of slack from people outside of Montreal because of what the Montreal media was like to him.

Fact was he didn't do a good job when given the big chair. He led them to the bottom when the playoffs were still a realistic possibility, running two top six forwards in their prime out of town in the process and killed the ability to compete 5 on 5 that had been built over the later portion of Martin's tenure.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote