HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Clark Hired As Development Coach

Old
06-05-2012, 11:56 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
Chris Clark Hired As Development Coach

Former Jacket Chris Clark replaces Former Jacket Tyler Wright in the Development Coach role, allowing Wright to focus on scouting.

Quote:
The Blue Jackets have hired former NHL forward Chris Clark as development coach, granting his wish to stay in Columbus and remain involved in the NHL.

"This is a good transition into management or coaching or the business side," Clark said. "I'm not sure where this will end up, but I wanted to stay in the game, and this is a job I really wanted."
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ins-staff.html

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:56 AM
EspenK

As I posted here http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...162945&page=14 I'm not all that impressed.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:56 AM
EDM

Kind of a blank slate to me. Seems his primary qualification is he played for the Jackets ........ and he wanted the job.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:11 AM
chunkbox

you're HIRED ! cmon in ...

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Kev22

Ehhh.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Hipster Letestu

Saw him at the arena pretty often near the end of the year, great guy but I somewhat question his credentials. We'll see I suppose, he seems dedicated and I like adding quality character guys to the org like Clark and Prospal.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I've wanted ex team players considered for media play by play, on ice reporting, post game recaps etc. for years but filling the coaching ranks with inexperienced ex-players is another story. I like Clark and I liked his dedication to the game but I have to wonder about the run (Prospal/Clark/Wright) of inexperienced ex-players being hired and/or promoted in the organization.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:34 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Good for Chris, personally.

That said, I really wish he had more experienced people that he could lean on for this job.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Good for Chris, personally.

That said, I really wish he had more experienced people that he could lean on for this job.
I geniunely feel like Tyler's rise in this organization has come too fast.... It worries me.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I've wanted ex team players considered for media play by play, on ice reporting, post game recaps etc. for years but filling the coaching ranks with inexperienced ex-players is another story. I like Clark and I liked his dedication to the game but I have to wonder about the run (Prospal/Clark/Wright) of inexperienced ex-players being hired and/or promoted in the organization.
I agree. Seems like this organization takes shots with people with little or no experience. We'll see what happens, but I don't like this move.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Clark was 25 when he made the NHL, and ended up captaining a very young Capitals team that blossomed when he was there. Obviously the Capitals had talent, but we've all seen teams in all sports that had young talent and went absolutely nowhere because there was no guidance. I don't know how much Clark played a role in it, but what's a development coach but a team captain in the front office?

I must ask though...if this works out, does it make people forget about Jason Chimera once and for all?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfaninmo View Post
I agree. Seems like this organization takes shots with people with little or no experience. We'll see what happens, but I don't like this move.
The team then gives them experience, and the fans demand they be fired. So they take their experience elsewhere and do very well.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The team then gives them experience, and the fans demand they be fired. So they take their experience elsewhere and do very well.
Gerard Gallant doesn't count...

Old
06-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Gerard Gallant doesn't count...
Good example, I knew Gerard personally and really liked him too.. I'm still hoping he will make a comeback in the top NHL coaching ranks..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

So, what exactly does a development coach do?

In general, my impression is that he follows the progress of the "kids" in the organization, tells them what they need to work on.

So, the type of person that Chris Clark seems to be would appear to be a good fit for the job.

A recent player, who wasn't handed an NHL job on a platter, who was put into a leadership role where he mentored a young team.

Sounds like a hard working guy who knows the effort and dedication required who played in the league for 12 years.

What is the problem with the hire again? Didn't we want more guys with NHL experience helping out the front office? Why is the hiring of Al Macinnis (now VP of Hockey Operations) by St. Louis seen as great hire by many, but the CBJ hiring a retired player for a lesser role seen as a negative? (Note: I'm not comparing their playing abilities, I recognize that Macinnis blows Clark out of the water on that one.)

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post

In general, my impression is that he follows the progress of the "kids" in the organization, tells them what they need to work on.

So, the type of person that Chris Clark seems to be would appear to be a good fit for the job.

A recent player, who wasn't handed an NHL job on a platter, who was put into a leadership role where he mentored a young team.

Sounds like a hard working guy who knows the effort and dedication required who played in the league for 12 years.

What is the problem with the hire again? Didn't we want more guys with NHL experience helping out the front office? Why is the hiring of Al Macinnis (now VP of Hockey Operations) by St. Louis seen as great hire by many, but the CBJ hiring a retired player for a lesser role seen as a negative? (Note: I'm not comparing their playing abilities, I recognize that Macinnis blows Clark out of the water on that one.)
They are usually former players. And with Clark's "lunchpail"-type career, yes, its not a terrible hire, assuming he's given proper direction and has a proper place to go for good, corrective feedback and support.... When you're not in a "winning" organization, I'll question the messages he's getting from above him...

Old
06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

I think he's a good choice despite a lack of experience. In reality its an entry level position in most organizations and Clark could be a big asset to the organization down the road.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:13 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post

Thanks for telling it like it is. Some of us have gotten so negative, so jaded, the knee jerk reaction is to simply criticize everything...even if they don't even fully understand what, or why, they're bothered by the move.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Thanks for telling it like it is. Some of us have gotten so negative, so jaded, the knee jerk reaction is to simply criticize everything...even if they don't even fully understand what, or why, they're bothered by the move.
Say it isn"t so.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
BluejacketNut

The CBJ, training wheels for the NHL. No experience.....No problem!

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The CBJ, training wheels for the NHL. No experience.....No problem!
Please enlighten us as to what relevant experience there would be for such a position that doesn't 1) automatically overqualify someone for the job or 2) is not already possessed by Chris Clark.

Go on. I'm all ears.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:39 PM
650X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Please enlighten us as to what relevant experience there would be for such a position that doesn't 1) automatically overqualify someone for the job or 2) is not already possessed by Chris Clark.

Go on. I'm all ears.
It is the CBJ forum must be negative at all times.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Go on. I'm all ears.
I would suggest having done it before or at least coached somewhere before and with a modicum of success. If the position is necessary and actually helps players develop, then the person in it should be qualified. If the job is just setting up a camp full of drills and the occasional hand holding/fatherly advice then I guess Clark is ok.

Sometimes hockey organizational titles confuse me. Maybe this is one of them.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:21 PM
650X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I would suggest having done it before or at least coached somewhere before and with a modicum of success. If the position is necessary and actually helps players develop, then the person in it should be qualified. If the job is just setting up a camp full of drills and the occasional hand holding/fatherly advice then I guess Clark is ok.

Sometimes hockey organizational titles confuse me. Maybe this is one of them.
I think that is exactly what it is. To make it easier for the players to transition mentally to the aspects of being a professional athlete outside of the rink, if that make sense.

Last year the camp had large portions of it that were devoted how to eat right, cook your own food, do laundry and other stuff like that.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
It is the CBJ forum must be negative at all times.
Is there something to be positive about regarding anything in the entire organization?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote