HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambo Re-signed

Old
06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Meh, it was expected. Don't hate the guy, he hasn't done anything too stupid, but at the same time, he really hasn't done anything at all. I'm expecting more out of him over the next couple of years. Now is the time to get out of the lottery and make a push for the playoffs. I've put up with a ****** team for a while now and he better learn to be more aggressive and make smarter acquisitions.

All in all, not happy with the extension, but not upset over it either.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
ruok

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Four years in and our defense STILL has half its spots filled with AHL players on a regular basis. And we STILL have big question marks in net. Both areas he has done NOTHING about other than signing retreads and an old goalie with a questionable health record.

But he deserves an extension.

Ok then.
I am not really a Tambi supporter at all, but honestly, what defenceman did you want him to sign? I mean yeah he could try and make a trade for one but we have only had resources to be able to pull that off for the last year.

ruok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oil Gauge

I'm still happy having Tambilinni as the GM. He hasn't done a lot aside from drafting high picks, but that's probably what he was instructed to do.

To me this is the season where he has to get to work to piece together a defense. This is the season you actually have to start evaluating him. What he does this summer will make him or break him in my mind.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
Well lets kiss our chance for the playoffs this year goodbye. 3 coaches in 4 seasons, maybe that's not the problem. Its funny because by implication that means he obviously is terrible at assessing good coaches for this team.

Kevin Lowe's quote made be laugh. "hes brought in some good talent". I wonder why? A guy that picked #1 two times in a row soon to be 3 times in a row brought in good players...give this man a promotion to vice-president immediately!

Its the same rhetoric with Steve, "we need to get better", "were going to move to the next stage", "I'm not happy with last season". He is the first guy to place bottom 2 for three straight seasons in a CAP era of all things. I'm sorry you can't excuse that, there is no parity in placing bottom 2 three seasons in a row, thats terrible management.

I'm tired of this rebuild nonsense. You need to bring in good complementary/role players if you want to make the playoffs, unless you're planning to draft #1 for 5 years straight its not going to work. He can't build a team, this guy was passed over how many times in Vancouver, there was probably a reason for that.

This team has gotten better because he sucked at his job. He's failed time and time again to fill the gaping wholes on this team and basically prayed for another high draft pick to save his sorry ass.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Booom

As someone who gets free tickets from him, this is good news.

Booom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:50 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Im so confused. Are people unhappy about drafting Hall, RNH and now potentially Yakupov?

Prior to all this, the team was throwing huge money at free agents and trying to sign 50-goal scorers and were laughed at. No one wanted to come here, so they decided the only thing to do was to draft their own stars.

Team Objective: Draft and grow stars.

Everyone realizes that in order to draft stars, you have to draft high. And unless you're Boston, that means finishing in a lottery position. So that means you have to suck... and hard.

Wasn't that clear? What did everyone else think the strategy would be?

HF Objective: Acquire impact players, who even prior to the team finishing dead last would have never considered coming here, who will contribute to the success of this team and help them to win games and ??????????????????? to finish last to draft Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

Has Tambellini shown that he has what it takes to take this team to the Cup? No. But in the past 3 seasons, that's not what was asked of him.

It's like asking Gollum to take you to Mordor in order to destroy the Ring and then firing him when he does. Mordor is an awful, dirty and evil place and getting there is no picnic. You can't lounge around the Shire and then somehow expect to wind up with the ring in the fires of Mordor. But you all agreed at Rivendell that it was necessary to journey there in order to destroy the ring and restore peace to Middle Earth.

I'm sure if you wanted to go somewhere else, Gollum probably could have taken you there. Maybe. But what would have been the point? This journey was necessary.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Dubnyk/Eberle/Petry drafted before Tambellini? His success rate in drafting seems to be quite low outside the consensus no1s that any GM would make. Paajarvi ahead of Kulikov/Rundblad for example and a lack of contribution so far outside of the 1st round since 2009 (I guess you can include Lander but not a huge contribution there). Obviously the jury's still out and you gotta give time for those prospects to develop but if you're a rebuilding team with good draft positions then you expect more at least a couple contributions outside of the first overall picks from the 10/11 drafts and the highest 09 pick.
This response has nothing to do with what you quoted from me. I was talking about Tambo leaving room on the team for those guys to develop properly.

Not sure where you are going with this...maybe take off the hate Tambo specs and begin to see the light.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
Im so confused. Are people unhappy about drafting Hall, RNH and now potentially Yakupov?

Prior to all this, the team was throwing huge money at free agents and trying to sign 50-goal scorers and were laughed at. No one wanted to come here, so they decided the only thing to do was to draft their own stars.

Everyone realizes that in order to draft stars, you have to draft high. And unless you're Boston, that means finishing in a lottery position. So that means you have to suck... and hard.

HF Objective: Acquire impact players, who even prior to the team finishing dead last would have never considered coming here, who will contribute to the success of this team and help them to win games and ??????????????????? to finish last to draft Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

Has Tambellini shown that he has what it takes to take this team to the Cup? No. But in the past 3 seasons, that's not what was asked of him.

It's like asking Gollum to take you to Mordor in order to destroy the Ring and then firing him when he does. Mordor is an awful, dirty and evil place and getting there is no picnic. You can't lounge around the Shire and then somehow expect to wind up with the ring in the fires of Mordor. But you all agreed at Rivendell that it was necessary to journey there in order to destroy the ring and restore peace to Middle Earth.

I'm sure if you wanted to go somewhere else, Gollum probably could have taken you there. Maybe. But what would have been the point? This journey was necessary.
Pretty much this. I love the LOTR's comparison!

ponokanocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:57 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
I am happy that he didnt trade Petry for Gomez or Hall and The Nuge for Phil Kessel.....although he may have tried.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:07 PM
ruok

Quote:

This is pretty much it. The organization as a whole decided that signing big free agents was not happening and that if they ever wanted to really contend again it would have to be a different approach. Everyone gets mad at Tambi not being aggressive trying to sign and make trades, but it was already decided before hand that they were not going to do that.

I look at the roster and prospects the oilers have now compared to three years ago, and honestly it is not possible we would have near the talent any other way.

Now is the time for the oilers to finally start making some trades/signings and contend. Free agents should gradually start seeing that we have a future especially if we make the playoffs in this next season.

If we are still at the bottom of the league two years from now, then I will be calling for a new GM.

ruok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:10 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
At this point, it feels like Edmonton could finish dead last 2 more straight years, and they'd promote Tambellini.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:11 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:

I haven't read anything about people being unhappy about drafting RNH, Hall or Yakupov, in fact I think your confusing our unhappniess with our disdain of Steve's GM performance.

Agreed the draft was needed, the FA's and big trade were not working out for this team. Lets be honest here, any GM could of draft RNH and Hall this wasn't some miraculous move on Steves part.

Are you trying to imply that the Edmonton brass directed Steve to be a terrible GM? Unless you have some insider knowledge I fail to see how you would know what was asked of him. I think its more likely that he was a terrible GM and good players fell into his lap.

As for the Lord of the Rings reference, that movie could of ended in 5 minutes. Get on griffin fly to mountain and drop the ring in bang, or you could do it the Steve Tamby way of dragging something out ever so slowly and just hope it works out.

But hey to each his own.

Old
06-06-2012, 07:13 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I'm still happy having Tambilinni as the GM. He hasn't done a lot aside from drafting high picks, but that's probably what he was instructed to do.

To me this is the season where he has to get to work to piece together a defense. This is the season you actually have to start evaluating him. What he does this summer will make him or break him in my mind.
If it takes 4 years to evaluate him, we're just as slow at making decisions as he is.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
DousedInOil

Lol at all the impatient fans. Last time I checked another patient GM in Lombardi has done a good job. Also, could you imagine if we went through a rebuild only to rush it? Id rather go through a long one rather than continuously blow things up.

Glad to see him signed.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Pro scouting is a major concern, that said will we be able to add some proven pro scouts with a good track record? I'd think that their current teams would want to hold onto them for dear life.

06-06-2012, 07:22 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Lol at all the impatient fans. Last time I checked another patient GM in Lombardi has done a good job. Also, could you imagine if we went through a rebuild only to rush it? Id rather go through a long one rather than continuously blow things up.

Glad to see him signed.
How long are rebuilds supposed to last in your mind? Cause I know a few that lasted more than 5 years and they didn't exactly amount to anything.

LA has a Vezina goalie in Quick.
LA has a Norris defenseman in Doughty
LA does not have a bunch of smurfs for its top 6

I have no idea how you can even think that we would go down the same route as that team. Steve cannot build teams plain and simple,

Old
06-06-2012, 07:30 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
How long are rebuilds supposed to last in your mind? Cause I know a few that lasted more than 5 years and they didn't exactly amount to anything.

I have no idea how you can even think that we would go down the same route as that team. Steve cannot build teams plain and simple,
LA is in the finals because they already had some pieces before they started to dwindle. I doubt they are in the finals without Kopitar, Brown, etc. Even though we had 3 1sts in 2007 I would argue that we weren't rebuilding at that point. Hell even in 2008 we acquired Penner. Just because we sucked doesn't mean we were rebuilding.

It's been 2 years since we drafted Hall. I would argue we are in year 3 of 5.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post

lol, how did they acquire Quick and Doughty?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruok View Post
I am not really a Tambi supporter at all, but honestly, what defenceman did you want him to sign? I mean yeah he could try and make a trade for one but we have only had resources to be able to pull that off for the last year.
If, after four years, you cant field a roster of nhl players, then you have no business being a gm in the nhl. Period.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Four years in and our defense STILL has half its spots filled with AHL players on a regular basis. And we STILL have big question marks in net. Both areas he has done NOTHING about other than signing retreads and an old goalie with a questionable health record.

But he deserves an extension.

Ok then.
Not really fair to call it 4 years. The Defense sucked when he came here. The first year was "evaluation" which is ok I guess. He's not really going to be able to make many deals in that first year anyways since not many deals are done throughout the season. Missed the playoffs by 6 points

2nd year was the injury riddled season that saw them finish with 62 points, got us a 1st overall Taylor Hall, which kicked the rebuild into motion.

3rd year was the first year of the rebuild which saw lots of focus on development of young players and a first overall draft pick

4th year saw a 12 point improvement and another 1st overall draft pick. Not to mention more development from our young players up front and on D.

Most of his rebuilding has been focused around forwards. Which is ok till this point. He took some risks on Defense like Barker and Potter which is a good idea when you don't have a win now mandate.

This season however the win now mandate should be starting to come into the picture and this summer the Defense should be improved. If Tambo doesn't fill holes on D this summer I'm with you. I don't think its fair to crucify him yet though.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Soundwave

I am happy that Tambellini has shot down all the crap about drafting for need. Just told Tencer that they won't draft for position with the no.1 overall, despite all these idiots telling us we have to.

That's how you end up blowing a sure fire pick.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Not really fair to call it 4 years. The Defense sucked when he came here. The first year was "evaluation" which is ok I guess. He's not really going to be able to make many deals in that first year anyways since not many deals are done throughout the season. Missed the playoffs by 6 points

2nd year was the injury riddled season that saw them finish with 62 points, got us a 1st overall Taylor Hall, which kicked the rebuild into motion.

3rd year was the first year of the rebuild which saw lots of focus on development of young players and a first overall draft pick

4th year saw a 12 point improvement and another 1st overall draft pick. Not to mention more development from our young players up front and on D.

Most of his rebuilding has been focused around forwards. Which is ok till this point. He took some risks on Defense like Barker and Potter which is a good idea when you don't have a win now mandate.

This season however the win now mandate should be starting to come into the picture and this summer the Defense should be improved. If Tambo doesn't fill holes on D this summer I'm with you. I don't think its fair to crucify him yet though.
How long has Dale Tallon been with Florida?

If, as so many contend, the plan all along was to suck up lottery gravy, why in the world would you fire Renney, and give "under performance" as a reason?

Renney gets fired but Tambellini gets extended?

Sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

If, as so many contend, the plan all along was to suck up lottery gravy, why in the world would you fire Renney, and give "under performance" as a reason?

By getting rid of one of Renney/Tambo, the fans are now only half as irate as they would have been if both were extended.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

To me this depends on the context of how this rebuild was started. 2-3 years ago was Katz OK with a Pittsburgh/Chicago/Washington style rebuild with multiple years in the lottery?

If they all signed up for that, then IMO it's disingenuous to fire the GM for basically just doing exactly what you wanted him to do.

Renney was dead man walking here the moment he pulled that goalie in the Calgary game and the CBC cameras cut to Hall's reaction. I knew right then and there that he wasn't going to be renewed here. I also think his failure to develop Paajarvi and get much out of Hemsky/Belanger/Eager also contributed a lot.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:58 PM
#ualberta

So, are we going to be told how long the extension is at some point?
I know it's probably one or two or three years but I think it'll be interesting to know how long exactly they plan on keeping tambo if it's a 1 year deal that gives the impression that if we don't improve significantly next season he's gone I think that's unlikely though it's probably a 2 year in my mind which isn't to bad because if we don't make the playoffs the next to season they should fire him then.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote