HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Radulov to CSKA Moscow, KHL. 4-Year Deal.

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure reports out of KHL of Radulov being offered obscene amounts of money killed his trade value before Poile uttered a word, regardless of whether or not we feel those reports are reliable.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Sorry, but i disagree. He was, by far, our most dangerous offensive player, and not as streaky as Erat either.
we have to agree to disagree... for every scoring opportunity he was involved in he had at least 4 or 5 in which he frittered away the puck trying to stickhandle or make some impossible pass.

if he had stayed in the NHL and developed his skills against NHL talent he might indeed be a superstar by now, but at this point, he's simply very good.

now mind you, it still sucks to lose a "very good" player, who should have been ours all this time, but with that ship having sailed years ago Im just as satisfied to get some closure on this and move on.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
we have to agree to disagree... for every scoring opportunity he was involved in he had at least 4 or 5 in which he frittered away the puck trying to stickhandle or make some impossible pass.

if he had stayed in the NHL and developed his skills against NHL talent he might indeed be a superstar by now, but at this point, he's simply very good.
What other players do we have that every time they got the puck, you moved to the edge of your seat in anticipation of a great shot or a wicked pass? There's only one for me - Craig Smith - who of course wasn't exactly lighting it up for 75% of the season. Hopefully he'll break out of that freshman slump and play more like the first part of the season next year.

Just because most of our forwards don't lose the puck doing insane stick handling doesn't mean they don't lose the puck. They just get it taken, make a poor pass or take a weak shot that misses the net completely. Same result - turnover.

Don't misunderstand me, I like all our guys and I like the effort they put forth. But the majority of our scoring comes on a hard forecheck getting people out of position, not nasty offensive skill.

Since Radulov does not appear to be willing to give what it takes, I'm not unhappy to see him go. I am sad though that I'm not going to get to see what he could have been, because it's clear he could have eclipsed every forward on our team by a wide margin had he been willing.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:46 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Quotes aren't working, so I'll just say this...

Trotz and Poile may have discussed what to do about the Radulov/Kostitsyn incident, but Trotz has final say on rosters. It was ultimately his decision to sit them both for two games, and when he came out and said if the team won Game 3 he was all but guaranteed to play the same roster in Game 4 (meaning, he was going to scratch them both again) he painted himself into a corner. You just don't do that. You go with the suspension. That's fine. You play the game, and you look at what happened on the ice during that game. THEN you make the roster decision for the next game. You don't make decisions for Game 4 before a single shift in Game 3 has been played. Trotz screwed himself there, and I bet he knows it.

The line up in Game 3 worked its collective ass off, sure, and they got a couple of goals early off of some very good work on the forecheck. However, the rest of the game showed the team lacked quite a bit of offensive creativity. I guess that should have been expected since two of the best offensive players on the roster were suspended. But the team won, and Trotz stuck to what he said was likely to happen.

Trotz is a proud man. Sometimes pride gets in the way of our better judgment; I think we can all think of times in our lives when that has happened.

Of course, I guess it's easy to say that we could have used some offense in Game 4 after seeing the results. It's impossible to predict whether or not putting both of those guys back into the line up for Game 4 would have resulted in more goals for the Coyotes, or any for the Predators. After all, the score to Game 5, which featured both, was 2-1.

I also don't see why Poile would say anything about this to the media unless the offers he was fielding just weren't cutting it. Considering his history with handling the media, that just seems like a strange mistake to all of the sudden make.

Radulov is heading to Russia. They are essentially pulling out all of the stops, ethical or not (granted, cultural differences create differences in what is considered ethical), to lure him back. That's not Poile's fault.
People typed on this board defending this teams offense and compared them showing how good and balanced it was. They did not lack any offensive creativity they just played the same grind dirty goal game they played all year before AK and Rads. Trotz made the right decision in going with the lineup that got the team the first win in the series by letting the guys who had been in the battle all year continue to battle. Those same guys just did not get it done in game 4. When the dirty goals and rebounds do not go your way like they have all year that is what happens. This team needs a mix of fisher, Horny, to go along with some legit skill players who are professionals. Not Rads and AK.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:14 PM
dulzhok

Radulov is at 70+ player... even with a marginally skilled center like Legwand or Fisher. That's something we don't have.

It's OK if he's not the right fit, it's not OK to see another asset go down the drain.

We're on the cusp of being an elite team... we're also on the cusp of being a non-playoff team. We're at the point in Predator history where we see if Poile can do something he hasn't done in almsot 30 years-- take a team to the elite level. So far...

1) We've burned a lot of assets for marginal short-term rentals
2) A hugely valuable asset returned to North America. Over the course of 2 months, his value has been reduced to almost zero (with him leading our team in scoring). Being an hour late for cerfew is not something to sweep under the rug, but... now we got NOTHING.
3) Poile got nervous and took our team captain to arbitration, offering him a whopping $4.5m.
4) We stuck it out with Suter when we could've traded him for king's ransom last offseason. We'll see what happens from here.

Not looking good so far, David Poile.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Radulov is at 70+ player... even with a marginally skilled center like Legwand or Fisher. That's something we don't have.

It's OK if he's not the right fit, it's not OK to see another asset go down the drain.

We're on the cusp of being an elite team... we're also on the cusp of being a non-playoff team. We're at the point in Predator history where we see if Poile can do something he hasn't done in almsot 30 years-- take a team to the elite level. So far...

2) A hugely valuable asset returned to North America. Over the course of 2 months, his value has been reduced to almost zero (with him leading our team in scoring). Being an hour late for cerfew is not something to sweep under the rug, but... now we got NOTHING.
3) Poile got nervous and took our team captain to arbitration, offering him a whopping $4.5m.
4) We stuck it out with Suter when we could've traded him for king's ransom last offseason. We'll see what happens from here.

I agree with 95% of your arguement. Just a few comments though.

When did Poile only offer Weber 4.5 mil? If you're talking about that's what he requested in the arbitration hearing, everyone lowballs there. The GM says a much lower than fair value, players says higher then fair, and they agree on a middle price. That's just how it works. I'm sure Poile offered something much bigger before arbitration.

Poile traded for rentals, yes, and he kept Suter, yes. In hindsight, he shouldnt have done that, because we didnt win the cup. At the time, he did what he had to for us to have a shot to win it all.

If we had traded away Suter and lost to Detroit, the same people who are saying "WHY DIDNT WE TRADE SUTER" would be saying "Come on Poile, keep Suter and we have a shot at the cup instead of a first round exit." Hindsight is 20/20

Old
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post

When did Poile only offer Weber 4.5 mil? If you're talking about that's what he requested in the arbitration hearing, everyone lowballs there. The GM says a much lower than fair value, players says higher then fair, and they agree on a middle price. That's just how it works. I'm sure Poile offered something much bigger before arbitration.

Poile traded for rentals, yes, and he kept Suter, yes. In hindsight, he shouldnt have done that, because we didnt win the cup. At the time, he did what he had to for us to have a shot to win it all.

If we had traded away Suter and lost to Detroit, the same people who are saying "WHY DIDNT WE TRADE SUTER" would be saying "Come on Poile, keep Suter and we have a shot at the cup instead of a first round exit." Hindsight is 20/20
A GM's job is foresight so it's only fair to judge him in hindsight. When Suter wouldn't sign an extension last summer, it was a pretty good indication of where this was headed.

Taking a player to arbitration almost always damages player relationships. I realize Poile's 4.5m offer in arbitration was a tactic, but when Poile invests time an energy in explaining why he's only worth 4.5m, how do you think that makes Weber feel?

Honestly, I have no idea why took Weber to arbitration. I think it was a fear based moved from Poile because he screwed up with Scott Stevens years ago in Washington. In reality, we should've WELCOMED an offer sheet for Weber because we could've then likely matched it.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Anyone who thinks we should've traded suter is off their rocking chair. This was our chance to be legit cup contenders. We did well overall, but we failed to reach the WCF which I thought was well within reach. I think a lot of people have that sentiment. Just because we didn't win the cup doesn't mean those trades were worth it.

We really didn't give up any serious assets. We still have lindy, smith, ellis, blum, and hell even wilson.

The one thing that Poile should've done differently is work harder last offseason. It was a huge mistake to not make the right moves to improve the roster then as I think it directly effected Weber and Suter's reluctance. I also think we wouldn't have had to pay such steep prices had management taken the win or go home mindset.

Not trying to toot my own horn here, but I was extremely reluctant to bring Rads back into the fold. Feel a bit justified. I also feel a bit vindicated about my assessment of wilson. Its time for him to be moved for a asset we will use.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:32 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
What other players do we have that every time they got the puck, you moved to the edge of your seat in anticipation of a great shot or a wicked pass? There's only one for me - Craig Smith - who of course wasn't exactly lighting it up for 75% of the season. Hopefully he'll break out of that freshman slump and play more like the first part of the season next year.

Just because most of our forwards don't lose the puck doing insane stick handling doesn't mean they don't lose the puck. They just get it taken, make a poor pass or take a weak shot that misses the net completely. Same result - turnover.

Don't misunderstand me, I like all our guys and I like the effort they put forth. But the majority of our scoring comes on a hard forecheck getting people out of position, not nasty offensive skill.

Since Radulov does not appear to be willing to give what it takes, I'm not unhappy to see him go. I am sad though that I'm not going to get to see what he could have been, because it's clear he could have eclipsed every forward on our team by a wide margin had he been willing.
I think the bolded would have been true had he stayed in the NHL his entire career. but he instead developed his talents against inferior competition and couldnt go into "superman" mode at will against NHL talent.

I honestly believe you and everyone else got on the edge of your seat when rads had the puck because of what you (and I, and everyone else) HOPED he was going to be, which is some kind of goal scoring wizard.... but I also honestly believe that if we had watched a whole year of his play we would have been saying something a little different... not that he would have sucked by any means... he would still have been a top line forward for us, but he wouldnt be up there with Stamkos, Tavares, or Datsuyk as far as eye-popping talent goes...

Old
06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
A GM's job is foresight so it's only fair to judge him in hindsight. When Suter wouldn't sign an extension last summer, it was a pretty good indication of where this was headed.

Taking a player to arbitration almost always damages player relationships. I realize Poile's 4.5m offer in arbitration was a tactic, but when Poile invests time an energy in explaining why he's only worth 4.5m, how do you think that makes Weber feel?

Honestly, I have no idea why took Weber to arbitration. I think it was a fear based moved from Poile because he screwed up with Scott Stevens years ago in Washington. In reality, we should've WELCOMED an offer sheet for Weber because we could've then likely matched it.
I am not arguing that we should have kept Suter becuase he was maybe going to re-sign. The point is, trading Suter at much reduced value due to his rental status would have been Poile waving the white flag and saying "No cup for us this year." Nothing we got for Suter could have helped us more in our playoff run than him.

Weber is a big boy, I think he'll survive.

I don't know either. That made no sense to me. I'm sure Poile has a reason though.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I am not arguing that we should have kept Suter becuase he was maybe going to re-sign. The point is, trading Suter at much reduced value due to his rental status would have been Poile waving the white flag and saying "No cup for us this year."
What if Philly would have given Timonen + 8th overall for Suter last offseason? I think that's close to what his value would have been last offseason.

Sure Timonen probably would've been a slight downgrade from Suter. We could've also gone out a got a decent free agent defenseman to help offset the lost. The big gain would've been the 8th overall.

Yes, it's hindsight. But again, it would nice to see Poile display a little foresight.

I do agree that Poile has been horribly complacent in the offseasons. It's been 7 YEARS since he's made a significant addition in the offseason (Jason Arnott) either through FA or trade. He usually waits until the deadline to deal assets-- when price are high and you only get to the keep the guy for a short period.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
predfan98

we are going to have a radulov thread on this board forever, aren't we?

it was a choice Poile made to try, and I support that.

but he's not an elite player in the nhl......he just isn't....we wanted him to be, but he wasn't

Old
06-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
we are going to have a radulov thread on this board forever, aren't we?

it was a choice Poile made to try, and I support that.

but he's not an elite player in the nhl......he just isn't....we wanted him to be, but he wasn't
Someone earlier said that this will be the end of the Rads convo.

Riiiiiiiight.

Old
06-06-2012, 07:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Someone earlier said that this will be the end of the Rads convo.

Riiiiiiiight.
Then there will be the constant *****ing and whining we should have kept Rads at the first slump...

After listening to Poile's interview, he sounds, happy.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 06-06-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old
06-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Then there will be the constant *****ing and whining we should have kept Rads at the first slump...

After listening to Poile's interview, he sounds, happy.
Hopefully he never makes the mistake of drafting a Russian again

Old
06-06-2012, 08:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
That's not exactly fair. There are Russians who are playing in the NHL, and playing well. Some of the best players in the League are Russians. Radulov's prima donna attitude was well-known before the draft. That's why he fell to where Poile could draft him.

I suspect Poile will be a lot more cautious when it comes to guys with perceived attitude problems at the draft.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:40 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
This.

I don't see how anyone could want Radulov to stay based on what we know about him. Poile confirmed in his interview today that he wasn't willing to change himself on or off the ice. I've always noticed that Rads takes long shifts, and DP mentioned that and said it pissed off his teammates. He said he's "too high-maitenance for the Predators". I don't care how good a player is, if he's not fully committed and has a bad effect on the locker room, he should probably leave. Especially with the way the Predators are built.

But it does suck to have our highest-potential forward ever not work out. What could've been...

Old
06-06-2012, 09:41 PM
token grinder

Quote:
That's not exactly fair. There are Russians who are playing in the NHL, and playing well. Some of the best players in the League are Russians. Radulov's prima donna attitude was well-known before the draft. That's why he fell to where Poile could draft him.

I suspect Poile will be a lot more cautious when it comes to guys with perceived attitude problems at the draft.
have you noticed, and I mean you as everyone, that the only real prima donna russians are the ones who had all the fanfare and didn't work hard enough to reach their potential? Yaashin, Filatov, etc. seems like we forget how hard the russian 5 in detroit, the datsyuks, kovalchuks, etc to be great.

and really that goes for all nationalities.

Last edited by SixthSens: 06-07-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old
06-06-2012, 09:50 PM
AEM6729

Quote:

Most of this is off-topic for this thread, so I'll just address the Radulov part...what exactly do you think Poile should do with him? He really isn't negotiating from a position of power in the matter, and Radulov's rights are almost worthless as he's deep into negotiations with the KHL.

I support everything we've done with Radulov. Might as well have gone balls to the wall this year and brought him back, because of the perfect storm of factors that came together this year (the fact that it may be the last year we have Suter/Weber, Rads' playoffs ended early in the KHL, he was finally willing to come, we had a decent shot to go deep in the playoffs, etc). It didn't work out. Sucks, but we tried to get what we could out of him as a player and now it's time to cut him loose.

He's a talented player, but what NHL team will want him after all the behavioral problems we've had with him AND most importantly the fact that you'll always have to worry about him leaving for the KHL? DP and Trotz are well-respected throughout the league. If they don't want Rads, I think that must weigh heavily in the minds of other teams.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
So you hope DP or the Org never drafts a Russian again?

Old
06-07-2012, 07:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
So you hope DP or the Org never drafts a Russian again?
HA is a little extreme in this regard. Scouts vet these guys a little more intensely to pick up on character issues. Nail Yakupov is scoring off the charts and isn't considered a flight risk---grigorenko, a little bit riskier.

For every Radulov or Kuznetzov, you have guys like Yakupov or Kulikov that simply have no interest in the KHL

Old
06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:

I can think of one in the Winnipeg system that would be a GREAT fit in Nashville right now. Ivan Telegin's the real deal and would excel in Nashville's system.

I don't think you ever want to say "We'll never draft players from ______ because of _______. " What if we said "We'll never draft players from Ontario because of Eric Lindros" or "We'll never draft players from Quebec because of Alexandre Daigle." For each Alex Radulov, there's an Alex Burmistrov. For every Alexandre daigle, there's a PJ Subban

Old
06-08-2012, 05:51 AM
azrok22

Credit to Rangerboy for finding this Czech article, which reports that Radulov to the Rangers is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There is a report out of the Czech Republic saying Radulov is a Ranger. The deal is complete. Closed. Is Closed Close or is closed closed?

Quote:
The moon is being offered as a bonus to the contract. Striker Alexander Radulov of Russia wants to maintain at any cost, he longs for reborn and pumped CSKA rubles. But the bomber might prefer the NHL. Rangers. The agreement is said to have closed. Antagonized Nashville, steamy night during the playoffs and refusing to offer long-term contract he blasted the confidence of the local leadership. The law provides for the exchange of Predators, another year is an elite scorer protected free agent. And New Yorkers reach for them, they gain an excellent replacement for the injured Slovak Marian Gáboríka. Or so it takes as many security experts, including the Czech coach Milos Riha. His St. Petersburg after the radula also much wanted, but eventually gave up their efforts. And it offered a salary ten million U.S. dollars a year ... obviously it was enough. "If you go to the KHL, so it's okay. If he wants to play elsewhere in the NHL, so we have to change the law, "said David Poile clearly, manager of the Predators. Two-time world champion completed his novice contract nine duels at the end of the base, added eight more in the Stanley Cup. The stem is twenty-five Ufa Forward also returned, relationship with the local leadership during the season forever ruffle. Despite the fact that he is still in Salavat year contract and where appropriate, the employer would have to buy it. KHL president Alexander Yet Medvedev hopes his league of its main star come. "We believe that one more year to play with us. Then he becomes unrestricted free agent in the NHL will be able to negotiate with all clubs. Not just one, "he said. The courtship is ready to CSKA Moscow, which increased the budget of millions olejářského giant Rosneft and would like to also gained Sjomina Alexandra. That is a very intense interest and admitted the club general manager Sergei Fedorov. "We do not issue any premature comments. But of course we would be very pleased if Alexander Radulov was part of our team and if that happens, we will immediately inform all, "he went and sent word to act to the U.S.. In a country where his dream will be a big fish hunt opponents. Playing for Rangers.
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-...o-rangers.html

There is a KHL team based in the Czech Republic starting this season
TUQ provided a non-internet translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
The exact translation should be: "The agreement is said to be concluded" or "the deal is allegedly already done"
However, I'm not sure whether it is reporting that Radulov has agreed to sign with the Rangers (and a trade is already worked out) or if Nashville has agreed to a trade with the Rangers (and Radulov remains uncommitted to the NHL).

Old
06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
VFL615*

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ws|text|Sports

Old
06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
ilikeblocks

If the czech report is true, I wonder what we got from the rangers. Dubinsky?

Closed Thread