HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien is new Habs coach

Old
06-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
But what we do know of the final candidates that not one of them was Anglophone only. Were any of candidates ever anglophone only? In that way we can say that we reduced the talent pool by not looking at them at all. Its all fine and good when Therrien gets the job over everybody, but if you're only interviewing bilingual candidates, there is no way you can say you got the best guy for the job.
But this is a false debate WTK. Bergevin had already mentioned that the coach needs to speak french. The guy talks more than the prime minister. It is the reality. So we have to stop going against that. I mean, people who hate that reality have to stop doing that to themselves. Not good for your healty. Instead to fight reality, just wish that the Habs groom their coaches from the Q, to the AHL to the NHL. Habs needs to put their nose back in the Q and make sure that with every possible program, that we don't lose Q coaches to something else based on the lack of exposure. Then, more quality Q coaches there is, more quality it means for your farm team. And then, hop with the big team. And more Q coaches, means more coaches all around the league, the better your group of coaches are in Hamilton, chances are you'll lose your assistant coach for something else in the bigs which at one point will transform into more quality coaches in the NHL, a pool you'd be able to choose from in due time and not only through your farm team. One day, there will be enough good bilingual coaches, that you won't mind the pool.

Either that or you have the NHL give a french course to every NHL coach.....Whatever is easier....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Forsead

Could we see Guy Carbonneau being hired by Therrien to be an assistant coach like he did in 2001 ? that could be interesting.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Could we see Guy Carbonneau being hired by Therrien to be an assistant coach like he did in 2001 ? that could be interesting.
Would not surprised me one bit that Therrien brings at least one of his Antichambre friend...Tremblay....Carbo....Michel Bergeron... Gaston Therrien...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Would not surprised me one bit that Therrien brings at least one of his Antichambre friend...Tremblay....Carbo....Michel Bergeron... Gaston Therrien...
Or all of them with Norman Flynn and Alain Chantelois

Old
06-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I expect Carbo to be named assistant coach.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Not always. It's better to get an unknown than to hire someone you know will be bad. At least the unknown has a chance to be better. That was the course the Habs should've taken, but Bergevin might be too conservative for that.
What?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:32 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Mea culpa time.

I said no person involved with a panel show on RDS or TVA Sport would ever make it back to the NHL.

I was proven wrong.
Twice!

Old
06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Interesting. Out of curiosity, where did you hear this?

The Devils have had a mixed track record with coaches, judging by the amount of turnover they have had in that position since lemaire left (the first time).
It came out last year during the hiring process.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Twice!
About Hartley :
I think been out of TVA sport for a year and winning a trophy in switzerland help him more.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
When a coach is hired because he's friends with the GM and not because he was the best man for the job, you know that management has a loser mentality. He was hired to appease the French overtly racist media and not hurt beer sales. It would take real courage to hire the best coach available. Ownership and management are gutless cowards. The Canadiens will only win a cup with a new owner. Maybe the descendants of those great French Canadians that founded the team J. Ambrose O'Brien and George Kennedy or maybe not.
You, sir, have the perfect post for your nickname.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Gilmour has a lot of nice things to say about Therrien. BTW, the water in the stick prank is priceless.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...740/story.html
I'm not surprised both Therrien and Gilmour are heart and soul kind of guys. Therrien must have loved Gilmour.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:02 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
What?
If you have the choice between having to pay 10$ (so -10$) and a box that can contain any amount from -12$ to +12$, you're way better off taking the box even if it's not the "devil you know".

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

A big positive about Therrien is that he watched these players all year, contrary to the rest of Habs management.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Carbo? He better not have a lot of input when it comes to lines. How about no Carbo at all?

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
If you have the choice between having to pay 10$ (so -10$) and a box that can contain any amount from -12$ to +12$, you're way better off taking the box even if it's not the "devil you know".
How do you figure? Therrien has the potential to do good as well. "Devil you know" eh? That's what YOU think YOU know. Obviously management knows otherwise.

Last edited by HankyZetts: 06-06-2012 at 10:31 PM.
HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
How do you figure? Therrien has the potential to do good as well. "Devil you know" eh? That what YOU think YOU know. Obviously management knows otherwise.
Management obviously thinks otherwise, but I suppose the only fair thing to do is let the proof be in the pudding.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:37 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
strange, on sportsnet John Shannon keeps saying how he remembers a time when Gilmour yelled at MT to sit down and shut up during a shift when he was on the ice.
It's not because there's been one incident that the player doesn't think the coach is good.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://www.985sports.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=136049

Really not sure how/if legit it is but it's still interesting to listen...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

It's written in the sky, I expect it.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
If that were true, no one would ever get a second chance in life.

I'm not a fan of Therrien and he wasn't my first choice, far from there. But even the narrowest mind has to admit that he was a rookie coach when he was in Montreal. In 10 years, people learn, people change.

Read the comments from Doug Gilmour in Dave Stubbs' article. He didn't seem to mind Therrien. Same goes for Maxim Talbot. Sidney Crosby was one of the first ones to call Therrien when he was announced as the new head coach. Does that sound like incompetence? I somehow doubt it.

The bottom line is that you're jumping the gun here. Bergevin (and his team) conducted the interviews and he obviously saw something in Therrien that none of us can guess. I'm thinking (or hoping) that he's no dummy so what true Habs' fans should do is relax, take a deep breath, and wait to see what happens this season before playing drama queens and having panic attacks.

Of course, I'm anticipating that a few here will be pretty ticked with Therrien and the current management with some of the comments mentioned recently.
  • Therrien said that everyone in the organization agrees that the team needs to get bigger and tougher.
  • While the production may differ from the 1st line to the 4th, the expectation will be that the effort should be the same.
  • The third periods losses and all of the injuries were likely linked to conditionning. Expect a team in better shape.
  • From Molson to Savard, Bergevin through Therrien, everyone said that they want more local talent on the team.

Just like they said that the next GM and head coach would be bilingual, I'm fully expecting that they will follow through with those topics as well, whether it pleases some or not.

So with all of the arguments on those topics in recent months/years, I'm expecting some fans to have a tough, tough year.... just like some of us had to suffer through the Jacques Martin era.

Last edited by Habsterix*: 06-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:03 PM
le_sean

I hope this doesn't mean the Habs will start doing post game interviews while riding stationary bikes.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Carbo and Robinson and we are set for the season!

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:22 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
How do you figure? Therrien has the potential to do good as well.
It's certainly possible, but his history as a coach would seem to make that pretty unlikely.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
If that were true, no one would ever get a second chance in life.

I'm not a fan of Therrien and he wasn't my first choice, far from there. But even the narrowest mind has to admit that he was a rookie coach when he was in Montreal. In 10 years, people learn, people change.

Read the comments from Doug Gilmour in Dave Stubbs' article. He didn't seem to mind Therrien. Same goes for Maxim Talbot. Sidney Crosby was one of the first ones to call Therrien when he was announced as the new head coach. Does that sound like incompetence? I somehow doubt it.

The bottom line is that you're jumping the gun here. Bergevin (and his team) conducted the interviews and he obviously saw something in Therrien that none of us can guess. I'm thinking (or hoping) that he's no dummy so what true Habs' fans should do is relax, take a deep breath, and wait to see what happens this season before playing drama queens and having panic attacks.

Of course, I'm anticipating that a few here will be pretty ticked with Therrien and the current management with some of the comments mentioned recently.
  • Therrien said that everyone in the organization agrees that the team needs to get bigger and tougher.
  • While the production may differ from the 1st line to the 4th, the expectation will be that the effort should be the same.
  • The third periods losses and all of the injuries were likely linked to conditionning. Expect a team in better shape.
  • From Molson to Savard, Bergevin through Therrien, everyone said that they want more local talent on the team.

Just like they said that the next GM and head coach would be bilingual, I'm fully expecting that they will follow through with those topics as well, whether it pleases some or not.

So with all of the arguments on those topics in recent months/years, I'm expecting some fans to have a tough, tough year.... just like some of us had to suffer through the Jacques Martin era.
Opinions on Therrien being a poor coach are more based on his handling of the Penguins than his stint with as a rookie. One of the biggest steps forward that team took was when they fired him and replaced him with Bylsyma.

Looking at his record the only times it seems he's done well for either team is when his goalie was ridding a hot streak.

If he's the guy management thought was best then I guess we can withhold judgement until he actually does stuff but I see very little to be encouraged by this decision. In comparison to Martin my read is that he's a guy that has just as much reputation for not being good for the dressing room without any of the tactical or strategic acumen.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:39 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

Source being guy who'se girlfriend is the cousin of Desharnais and ''works at the bell center''. Sounds not very credible to me! Actually whenever cousins are mentionned credibility is thrown out the window with these kind of stories.

Still possible Carbonneau is assistant tho. I'm much more comfortable with him being assistant than head coach thats for sure.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote