HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luongo Trade Value

View Poll Results: What is Luongo's Value?
High Value (e.g., Schenn & Kadri / etc.) 57 13.87%
Moderate Value (e.g., Franson & MacArthur / etc.) 211 51.34%
Low Value (e.g., Franson / 2nd rounder / etc.) 99 24.09%
Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek / etc.) 30 7.30%
Highly Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek & Lombardi) 14 3.41%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
  #51
grits207
Registered User
 
grits207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
His value is probably close to moderate. IMO it's delusional to think we would one of the better goalies in the league for any less than Franson+, regardless what his contract is.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
  #52
darrylsittler27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
There are no other bidders.

No one else in the NHL wants Luongo and the Canucks dont have the space to resign Schneider.He has no value,it is a strike year.Canucks must pay the only team stupid enough to look at him,deal with it.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:08 AM
  #53
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,998
vCash: 500
I chose moderate but I don't have a clue. His salary is one of the highest in the league for his position, and his cap hit, while not nearly as bad, continues forever.

He is year in and year out among the league leaders in most statistical categories for the regular season, but it has been 5 years since his playoff numbers were impressive.

Does a $70 million cap mean his salary is no big deal, especially if the Leafs can move some other unproductive salary? Really, once his game goes south and they are still carrying that hit, they are not hurting any worse than today with Finger/Komi/Tucker on the books. If they can just avoid assembling another LACK they can handle the salary without much of a stretch.

Do they want to fix their goaltending situation badly enough to take him on in spite of Schneider beating him out of a job? The high cost may be absorbable but that still doesn't make it appealing, because if he takes another step down he may get his ass shot off in TO, and he will take BB with him. Funny things happen to goalies in Toronto. Is it automatic that he will have a .915 sv% or better next year for the Leafs?

Giguere
2010-11 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 33 0 4 1633 78 5 0 2.87 11 11 4 699 0.900
Reimer
2011-12 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 34 0 0 1879 97 2 3 3.10 14 14 4 877 0.900

Giguere
2011-12 Colorado Avalanche NHL 32 0 2 1820 69 4 2 2.28 15 11 3 781 0.918
Luongo
2011-12 Vancouver Canucks NHL 55 1 4 3162 127 2 5 2.41 31 14 8 1450 0.919

It would make sense if he stays in Vancouver until the new CBA. Gillis will keep him if the offers are weak because the new CBA is more likely make things better than worse. I know as a buyer I would not want to pay a premium on the assumption that the CBA will provide some kind of relief, and then not get it so my offers would be conservative.

If BB and a few other GMs feel he is that rock in net (playoffs be damned, that was the teams fault) and they can deal with the cap carnage in a few years(esp if they expect the cap to continue to rise) then he will get a return more in line with his regular season achievements. This means they may eat a year or two of bad money at worst but they will some quality in the return, and that means not "moderate" as per this poll. If other clubs are scared by the money/term and there are few bidders, and if his failure to produce in the playoffs has earned him a label then the Canucks need to take what they can get and enjoy the huge cap relief.

To guess his worth we need to know whether Burkes interest is strictly in a soft deal and how motivated Gillis is to get cap room to use this summer. Tampa, Florida, TO and Columbus are the buyers I see based on current need. Rumor has it Tampa is out because they already have Vinny's anchor, that Florida only wants him for dirt cheap, and Howson may not be allowed to pursue him (nor would he likely want to go there) so a narrow field of partners. Maybe just Burke and Tallon, and that means not much of a bidding war.

How do we actually know if the Leafs are even interested? Second hand inferences made by some sports writers because he appears to be a fit? Samjam99? I thought Nonis reference to taking a cap circumventing deal had to be Luongo related and then somebody posted an old comment by Burke from a year ago where he said the same thing. Gillis said he has had no discussions and Burke said "There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) on that player," so the only truth may be a casual inquiry like "is your guy on the market?" which means nothing.

Nonis May 25th: “From a Leafs standpoint, we need to make sure that we backfill and have some depth there so that we have some quality goaltenders to pick from,” Nonis told Brady & Lang. “Yes, we’ll look at (unrestricted free agency), we’ll probably jump in for a couple pieces, but overall we’re going to approach the trade market as a primary source of improvement.”

Burke from April: "The goaltending wasn’t good enough this year, I think James Reimer is the real deal, I think we can still plan on him being the number one guy, but we have to look at a guy who gives us more options and performances right from the get-go next year."

From above I would say they are looking for another guy with some solid credentials, not a home run Luongo/Kipper so until I see some more evidence I am going to assume Josh Harding or Niemi at absolute most are a lot more likely. Right now Lu seems to be worth whatever Tallon will pay.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:13 AM
  #54
Falcons93
Registered User
 
Falcons93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Somewhere between moderate and high value. Something along the lines of:

Schenn + Colborne + 2012 second round pick

In the grand scheme of things, a top-15 goalie is more valuable than any of those pieces. Schenn will be a #2-#3 defenseman if everything works out for him. Right now, he's been playing like a #3-#5 and even a #6 for stretches of the past few seasons (though he was good in 2010-11 for stretches as well). Colborne likely doesn't have a spot on our team anytime soon. He's not better than Grabovski, Bozak, or Connolly (who will likely be gone anyways after this season). The 2nd round pick, which will be 34th, likely won't have an impact in the NHL anytime soon. This pick could very well turn into a decent player, but, again, in how many years? 3, 4, or 5? I would part with all three of these pieces for Luongo. His contract is bad in the sense that it lasts until 2022, but it's good in the sense that his cap hit is only 5.3 million plus there's a good chance he retires when he's older which clears his cap off the books in the late 2010's. His contract won't be a problem until around 2017-2018 when it's likely his performance will start to decline. There are definitely ways around paying him/keeping him on our team at that point. I would rather not trade Kadri as I think he has the potential to be a 65-70 point player in his prime seasons. Luongo is definitely not worth Gardiner or the 5th.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if people realize this, but the two goalies we rode with last year were ****ing terrible. Reimer was trash after coming back from his injury and Gustavsson was so inconsistent. He'd make an amazing save one minute, then let in a shot a Pee Wee goaltender would have stopped three minutes later. We need a goalie like Luongo.

EDIT #2: To be honest, I would even trade our 2013 first round pick for Luongo if there's a guarantee that the 2012-2013 season won't be a lockout. 2013 first round pick + Schenn for Luongo.


Last edited by Falcons93: 06-07-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:24 AM
  #55
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,851
vCash: 500
Vancouver would have to eat at least one bad contract. I would also hope that there are conditional picks based on if he can't perform well the next few years; draft pick compensation would be coming to the Leafs.

I don't see the Leafs having to give much up here. Vancouver is in a corner; the Leafs have other options that are not anchors for a decade.

The Vancouver fans asking for Gardiner, 5th Overall, Kadri +++ are completely delusional and can enjoy their aging anchor backup goalie; as the Leafs will not touch a deal like that.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:43 AM
  #56
disgruntleddave
Registered User
 
disgruntleddave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,490
vCash: 50
Something like Franson, Mac and 2013 2nd at the most.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:45 AM
  #57
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I chose moderate but I don't have a clue. His salary is one of the highest in the league for his position, and his cap hit, while not nearly as bad, continues forever.

He is year in and year out among the league leaders in most statistical categories for the regular season, but it has been 5 years since his playoff numbers were impressive.

Does a $70 million cap mean his salary is no big deal, especially if the Leafs can move some other unproductive salary? Really, once his game goes south and they are still carrying that hit, they are not hurting any worse than today with Finger/Komi/Tucker on the books. If they can just avoid assembling another LACK they can handle the salary without much of a stretch.

Do they want to fix their goaltending situation badly enough to take him on in spite of Schneider beating him out of a job? The high cost may be absorbable but that still doesn't make it appealing, because if he takes another step down he may get his ass shot off in TO, and he will take BB with him. Funny things happen to goalies in Toronto. Is it automatic that he will have a .915 sv% or better next year for the Leafs?

Giguere
2010-11 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 33 0 4 1633 78 5 0 2.87 11 11 4 699 0.900
Reimer
2011-12 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 34 0 0 1879 97 2 3 3.10 14 14 4 877 0.900

Giguere
2011-12 Colorado Avalanche NHL 32 0 2 1820 69 4 2 2.28 15 11 3 781 0.918
Luongo
2011-12 Vancouver Canucks NHL 55 1 4 3162 127 2 5 2.41 31 14 8 1450 0.919

It would make sense if he stays in Vancouver until the new CBA. Gillis will keep him if the offers are weak because the new CBA is more likely make things better than worse. I know as a buyer I would not want to pay a premium on the assumption that the CBA will provide some kind of relief, and then not get it so my offers would be conservative.

If BB and a few other GMs feel he is that rock in net (playoffs be damned, that was the teams fault) and they can deal with the cap carnage in a few years(esp if they expect the cap to continue to rise) then he will get a return more in line with his regular season achievements. This means they may eat a year or two of bad money at worst but they will some quality in the return, and that means not "moderate" as per this poll. If other clubs are scared by the money/term and there are few bidders, and if his failure to produce in the playoffs has earned him a label then the Canucks need to take what they can get and enjoy the huge cap relief.

To guess his worth we need to know whether Burkes interest is strictly in a soft deal and how motivated Gillis is to get cap room to use this summer. Tampa, Florida, TO and Columbus are the buyers I see based on current need. Rumor has it Tampa is out because they already have Vinny's anchor, that Florida only wants him for dirt cheap, and Howson may not be allowed to pursue him (nor would he likely want to go there) so a narrow field of partners. Maybe just Burke and Tallon, and that means not much of a bidding war.

How do we actually know if the Leafs are even interested? Second hand inferences made by some sports writers because he appears to be a fit? Samjam99? I thought Nonis reference to taking a cap circumventing deal had to be Luongo related and then somebody posted an old comment by Burke from a year ago where he said the same thing. Gillis said he has had no discussions and Burke said "There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) on that player," so the only truth may be a casual inquiry like "is your guy on the market?" which means nothing.

Nonis May 25th: “From a Leafs standpoint, we need to make sure that we backfill and have some depth there so that we have some quality goaltenders to pick from,” Nonis told Brady & Lang. “Yes, we’ll look at (unrestricted free agency), we’ll probably jump in for a couple pieces, but overall we’re going to approach the trade market as a primary source of improvement.”

Burke from April: "The goaltending wasn’t good enough this year, I think James Reimer is the real deal, I think we can still plan on him being the number one guy, but we have to look at a guy who gives us more options and performances right from the get-go next year."

From above I would say they are looking for another guy with some solid credentials, not a home run Luongo/Kipper so until I see some more evidence I am going to assume Josh Harding or Niemi at absolute most are a lot more likely. Right now Lu seems to be worth whatever Tallon will pay.
Giggy was damaged goods before he came to Toronto.

If Luongo comes to town there is a good chance Reimer is gone by next years deadline provided Scrivens is tearing apart the AHL again.

Paying a backup 1.8 million per year is a lot especially when you've already got a +5 million starter. Plus Reimer could bring other assets in return.

Everybody understands that Luongo is an elite goalie now. But the list of once elite goalies whose careers fell off a cliff in their mid to late 30s is very long.

Belfour, Cujo, Kolzig, Richter, Burke, Fuhr, Vanbiesbrouck, Barasso

The only modern goalie I can think of who was an above average starter who joined the NHL at a young age and was good till he was 40 is Brodeur.

Thomas and oldman Rolly don't count cause there bodies hadn't taken as much wear and tear because of how late their NHL careers started.

The next few years 33-36/37 the Luongo contract isn't much of a risk but it's the 36/37-40 part that scares teams. The last 3 years are retirement years.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:39 AM
  #58
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,764
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Somewhere between moderate and high value. Something along the lines of:

Schenn + Colborne + 2012 second round pick

In the grand scheme of things, a top-15 goalie is more valuable than any of those pieces. Schenn will be a #2-#3 defenseman if everything works out for him. Right now, he's been playing like a #3-#5 and even a #6 for stretches of the past few seasons (though he was good in 2010-11 for stretches as well). Colborne likely doesn't have a spot on our team anytime soon. He's not better than Grabovski, Bozak, or Connolly (who will likely be gone anyways after this season). The 2nd round pick, which will be 34th, likely won't have an impact in the NHL anytime soon. This pick could very well turn into a decent player, but, again, in how many years? 3, 4, or 5? I would part with all three of these pieces for Luongo. His contract is bad in the sense that it lasts until 2022, but it's good in the sense that his cap hit is only 5.3 million plus there's a good chance he retires when he's older which clears his cap off the books in the late 2010's. His contract won't be a problem until around 2017-2018 when it's likely his performance will start to decline. There are definitely ways around paying him/keeping him on our team at that point. I would rather not trade Kadri as I think he has the potential to be a 65-70 point player in his prime seasons. Luongo is definitely not worth Gardiner or the 5th.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if people realize this, but the two goalies we rode with last year were ****ing terrible. Reimer was trash after coming back from his injury and Gustavsson was so inconsistent. He'd make an amazing save one minute, then let in a shot a Pee Wee goaltender would have stopped three minutes later. We need a goalie like Luongo.

EDIT #2: To be honest, I would even trade our 2013 first round pick for Luongo if there's a guarantee that the 2012-2013 season won't be a lockout. 2013 first round pick + Schenn for Luongo.
Ridiculous. People are letting their desperation for a #1 goalie cloud their judgment.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:02 AM
  #59
Nightmare61
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Mac + Franson + Lombardi sounds good to me!

Nightmare61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:21 AM
  #60
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,920
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Ridiculous. People are letting their desperation for a #1 goalie cloud their judgment.
Yeah

Schenn + 2013 first for Luongo..

might as well add the 5th this year!

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:49 AM
  #61
Falcons93
Registered User
 
Falcons93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Ridiculous. People are letting their desperation for a #1 goalie cloud their judgment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah

Schenn + 2013 first for Luongo..

might as well add the 5th this year!
I'm not sure how high you two are on Schenn, but he's a borderline top-4 defenseman in the NHL in my opinion. I don't see the offensive upside that some people see. His skating, decision making, and shooting are huge problems, and it goes without saying that those are all important attributes for an NHL player to have. It's obvious he's been working on his shot, and maybe if he loses a little bit of weight he can gain back some speed that he had in his rookie season, but he's not that valuable to our team in my opinion. Gunnarsson, Gardiner, & Phaneuf are clearly better. Liles is older and plays a different game, so it's hard to compare him to Schenn, but I'd say he's more valuable at this point as well. Again, I don't see the potential in Schenn that others see. Is he really a better option than Franson/Holzer? If we acquired Luongo, I think we have a good chance of making the playoffs, so I don't think Schenn + 18th overall (for example) is that bad of a deal. Luongo won't be traded to us for a package like Franson + 2013 second round pick, and I don't think a goalie like Lindback or Harding is the answer. We need a legit number one goalie to make any noise whatsoever, and trading Schenn and a mid-first round pick isn't that big of a deal. A mid-first round pick typically takes years to pan out, so we'd probably be looking at someone who is ready for 2015? 2016? Again, I believe Luongo would push us into the playoff picture. If you still believe we'd finish in the bottom ten, then I can understand not wanting to trade Schenn + the 2013 first.

EDIT: I also don't think Vancouver is backed into a corner with Luongo, and I don't think his contract is that bad. Gillis doesn't have a gun to his head that says he has to trade Luongo to Toronto. There's going to be interest from a few other teams, and he always has the option of trading Schneider or trying to ride out the tandem for another season. There are also ways around keeping him for a 5.3 cap hit when he's 41 years old.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:13 AM
  #62
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,764
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
I'm not sure how high you two are on Schenn, but he's a borderline top-4 defenseman in the NHL in my opinion. I don't see the offensive upside that some people see. His skating, decision making, and shooting are huge problems, and it goes without saying that those are all important attributes for an NHL player to have. It's obvious he's been working on his shot, and maybe if he loses a little bit of weight he can gain back some speed that he had in his rookie season, but he's not that valuable to our team in my opinion. Gunnarsson, Gardiner, & Phaneuf are clearly better. Liles is older and plays a different game, so it's hard to compare him to Schenn, but I'd say he's more valuable at this point as well. Again, I don't see the potential in Schenn that others see. Is he really a better option than Franson/Holzer? If we acquired Luongo, I think we have a good chance of making the playoffs, so I don't think Schenn + 18th overall (for example) is that bad of a deal. Luongo won't be traded to us for a package like Franson + 2013 second round pick, and I don't think a goalie like Lindback or Harding is the answer. We need a legit number one goalie to make any noise whatsoever, and trading Schenn and a mid-first round pick isn't that big of a deal. A mid-first round pick typically takes years to pan out, so we'd probably be looking at someone who is ready for 2015? 2016? Again, I believe Luongo would push us into the playoff picture. If you still believe we'd finish in the bottom ten, then I can understand not wanting to trade Schenn + the 2013 first.

EDIT: I also don't think Vancouver is backed into a corner with Luongo, and I don't think his contract is that bad. Gillis doesn't have a gun to his head that says he has to trade Luongo to Toronto. There's going to be interest from a few other teams, and he always has the option of trading Schneider or trying to ride out the tandem for another season. There are also ways around keeping him for a 5.3 cap hit when he's 41 years old.
Oh it's clear how low you value Schenn. Luckily for the Leafs, they have someone in charge who can actually judge talent and has patience for the development of our players.

Of course it's a bad contract. Gillis is hamstrung by the list of teams Luongo is willing to waive his NTC for. Then, you have to ask how many of these teams are looking for a #1 goalie? You're not gonna find many bidders for a 10-year contract that pays someone $5.3M from age 34-43, especially if the asking price is what you're suggesting. If you were Gillis and you went to Burke with that ridiculous proposal, that phone call wouldn't last 10 seconds. That is Milbury-esque. Unbelievable.

We're not going to get Luongo for peanuts. But we're sure as hell not giving up significant pieces of our future to get him either.

I would suggest you look at the results of this poll to re-align yourself with the realistic portion of this fanbase. What you just suggested is a reckless management of assets.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:26 AM
  #63
jrgtml67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
I have read that Nonis mentioned offer sheeting wouldnt be totally out of the question. That would be a very smart thing to do ! If Gillis wont budge enought on a Lu deal...offer Schneider knowing that Gillis will have to match, if not we get Schneider, if he does it opens the door for Lu. Only problem is doing that would probably cut Brian off from landing Luongo. That Javr kid, thats amazing that he reported the deal before TSN though sportsnet had it before TSN did and that is always the case LOL; I dont know if a deal is 90% done but I could see Gillis and Burke holding "what if talks," I read the Insider and they mentioned that Gillis was meeting one final time with Lu to get his final stance on the situation this week; that doesnt mean Gillis and Burke havent talked about a deal, or even that they may have one close or done, and maybe Gillis is going to say to Lu "thanks for the effort I have a solid deal, and I want to take it, you would be headed to Toronto...just giving the heads up, since you are a class act guy and I respect you !"

If I was the GM and trading a character guy I would definately do that, no rush on finalizing the deal, if it is the only one on the table that he would take.

One thing is for sure, between now and July 1st I think we'll see one of these; #1 goalie acquired, #1 center aquired Justin Schultz after July 1st is a gimme basically and then possibly Nash acquired (if Burke cant get the center, or he pulls his magic again).

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:31 AM
  #64
Al14
Registered User
 
Al14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa (Sens suck)
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
I'm thinking it would be worth Schenn+Lombardi/Komi/Connolly/Armstrong + 2012 2nd
No, not a friggin chance!



Take out Schenn and the 2012 2nd, and, I might think about it! Might!


Last edited by Al14: 06-07-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:00 AM
  #65
grits207
Registered User
 
grits207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
No one else in the NHL wants Luongo and the Canucks dont have the space to resign Schneider.He has no value,it is a strike year.Canucks must pay the only team stupid enough to look at him,deal with it.
Not true at all, you are talking out of your ass. According to Pierre Lebrun the Panthers are "very interested" in Luongo and despite Yzerman's comments I'm sure the Lightning will at least kick the tires on him as well, especially if the asking price for Bernier is too high.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
  #66
jrgtml67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Not true at all, you are talking out of your ass. According to Pierre Lebrun the Panthers are "very interested" in Luongo and despite Yzerman's comments I'm sure the Lightning will at least kick the tires on him as well, especially if the asking price for Bernier is too high.

First of all Yzerman said he is looking for a goalie with in Tampa's current system, not getting one via trade. Also saying that leaves an option for Toronto to land Roloson, albeit he is my last choice. Fla maybe interested but they do not have the money to sign a goalie like Lu without blowing up their core guys, thusly they will be back to where they started the first time they had Luongo. It would be all goalie no team again. The leafs are in the best position to grab him. We have enough talent and depth to make the deal, and we are the richest team in the NHL. With the new CBA the cap is likely to take a nose dive thusly, there maybe a claus where teams can re work current contracts, and best case scenario, we get Lu the CBA allows us to re negiotiate term and money, Burke signs him for more money way less term in the 3-5yr range...probably 5 yrs say 6.5mil --- 7.25mil. People always forget, it doesnt matter who is interested necessarily, do you think Gillis cares if Lu doesnt get to go to Fla? No ! He cares that he get the best deal to move his team forward. I dont see Fla having the guys to do that WITHOUT losing a lot of the talent that got them into the playoffs this past season.

As a side note...again ppl KOMI has to be included in a deal for Luongo because of the cap, that is the ONLY reason, it is not because Van would want him BUT the cap is Burkes bargaining chip here. Ya know...hey Mike look that contract is a hefty one so here what I want to do..I'll send you Franson, Mac, and 2013 2nd rounder, and Komisarek to make up the contractual difference.

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:21 AM
  #67
jrgtml67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
"My philosophy is I'm trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender," Yzerman told 620 WDAE. "But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. We'll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency -- guy isn't there at this time."


That is what Steve Yzerman said on the radio the other day. So count TPA out ! And as my last post said and I have heard the same being said on TSN and Sportsnet..FLA if they think they are in the mix, the only reason is because Lu's put them on the list, I doubt they have the guys to get it done without losing the team that brought them to the playoffs.

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
  #68
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Gunnarsson + Lombardi/Armstrong + 2nd

Nucks will love Gunnar. Leafs get a legit #1

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:00 AM
  #69
ToMaLe
Registered User
 
ToMaLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Somewhere between moderate and high value. Something along the lines of:

Schenn + Colborne + 2012 second round pick

In the grand scheme of things, a top-15 goalie is more valuable than any of those pieces. Schenn will be a #2-#3 defenseman if everything works out for him. Right now, he's been playing like a #3-#5 and even a #6 for stretches of the past few seasons (though he was good in 2010-11 for stretches as well). Colborne likely doesn't have a spot on our team anytime soon. He's not better than Grabovski, Bozak, or Connolly (who will likely be gone anyways after this season). The 2nd round pick, which will be 34th, likely won't have an impact in the NHL anytime soon. This pick could very well turn into a decent player, but, again, in how many years? 3, 4, or 5? I would part with all three of these pieces for Luongo. His contract is bad in the sense that it lasts until 2022, but it's good in the sense that his cap hit is only 5.3 million plus there's a good chance he retires when he's older which clears his cap off the books in the late 2010's. His contract won't be a problem until around 2017-2018 when it's likely his performance will start to decline. There are definitely ways around paying him/keeping him on our team at that point. I would rather not trade Kadri as I think he has the potential to be a 65-70 point player in his prime seasons. Luongo is definitely not worth Gardiner or the 5th.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if people realize this, but the two goalies we rode with last year were ****ing terrible. Reimer was trash after coming back from his injury and Gustavsson was so inconsistent. He'd make an amazing save one minute, then let in a shot a Pee Wee goaltender would have stopped three minutes later. We need a goalie like Luongo.

EDIT #2: To be honest, I would even trade our 2013 first round pick for Luongo if there's a guarantee that the 2012-2013 season won't be a lockout. 2013 first round pick + Schenn for Luongo.


Is that you JFJ?

ToMaLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:09 AM
  #70
thecatch22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Not true at all, you are talking out of your ass. According to Pierre Lebrun the Panthers are "very interested" in Luongo and despite Yzerman's comments I'm sure the Lightning will at least kick the tires on him as well, especially if the asking price for Bernier is too high.
Doubt it. Theodore was half-decent this year and Markstrom is one of the most highly touted goaltending prospects on the planet. Why on Earth would Florida saddle themselves with that contract?


Last edited by thecatch22: 06-07-2012 at 09:39 AM.
thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
  #71
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,888
vCash: 500
I think he has low value.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:49 AM
  #72
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
can we get into a debate about what "High Value (e.g., Schenn & Kadri / etc.)" is?

Kadri and Schenn are high value?

so based on your rating of these players we could do:

To TOR
Getzlaf

To ANA
Kadri

or

To LA
Schenn

To TOR
Doughty




get out of here.

Kadri and Schenn don't have high value at all.

No but giving up a youngster like one of these two for a contract like that, which is only helping Vancouver, is just far too much.

People need to remember Vancouver NEEDS to get rid of him. They both want to be #1s. Get rid of him before he asks his way out and you get less for him. They need the cap room and they need to depart with Luongo.. We don't need to get rid of Schenn or Kadri, and yes they have higher value then a 10 year contract, with a player who says he will be open to a trade but he wants to be a #1 (basically saying play me or trade me)..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:58 AM
  #73
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
He got pulled when the games mattered most in the playoffs. For a player of Luongo's ilk, that pretty much means the ties have been severed. Luongo has played his last game as a Canuck deal or not.

In my opinion, if they want to sign Schneider long term, Luongo has to be on a plane first and preferably before July 1st.
I don't think he goes a minute beyond June 22. A deal will be announced on draft day.


Last edited by Mess: 06-07-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: broken quote
Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
  #74
IBeL13f
Registered User
 
IBeL13f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I don't think he goes a minute beyond June 22. A deal will be announced on draft day.
If it involves the 5th, I will rage.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
  #75
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
If it involves the 5th, I will rage.
don't think burke is stupid enough to trade our 5th/gardiner/2013 1st in a deal for Luongo. FWIW I wouldn't include Schenn in a deal either. Some posters seem to feel OK about losing schenn for a stop gap in Luongo. I think it's retarded.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.