*OFFICIAL* Peterborough Petes 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Petes96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
No, I haven't heard too much about player acquisitions and such. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hietkamp is dealt, he really hasn't progressed as expected but at the same time it doesn't hurt to have him in the bottom 6 given he can contribute in other ways than just the scoresheet, on top of that Pelino seems to like him.

He's a big and fairly physical kid who plays with a bit of an edge and if he can dedicate himself to that role he may be an asset. Then again he may break out offensively, who knows. I expected him to last season if he was going to, but he didn't. With that being said, his time may have run out with the Petes given we've got a nice collection of younger players. We've had 2 nice looking drafts in a row here and I think those players will be brought in. Pierog, Thompson, Maguire all look like real nice fits headed forward. Add in the newly signed Betzold, another OA and potentially a European from the Import Draft and I'm just not sure if there is a spot for Hietkamp. We'll see, he very well may be dealt or he may get the opportunity to come to camp in August. Training camp will be great this year, I think. Lots of good young players from what I can tell.
I echo that. Unfortunately Hietkamp has had lots of opportunity and he was drafted in the second round with expectations to contribute in two years but failed to do so. I think his time has come and gone and its time to the Pete's moved forward with other players and concentrate on them. He may very well flurish this season like Wise did once he was moved but the Petes don't have time to wait and see

Old
06-06-2012, 03:18 PM
defensehockey19

So when... If its going to happen... Can we expect Puempel to be moved.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
So when... If its going to happen... Can we expect Puempel to be moved.
As far as I know, I really haven't a clue. It's one of those things that may or may not happen, we may never hear another word about it, or it may happen in 2 weeks, no idea.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
defensehockey19

Puempel-Quine-Menard
Ritchie-Findlay-Nosad
Betzold-Cornel-(Trade or Euro).. Could be very competitive.. Let's hope Pumps goes no where.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Puempel-Quine-Menard
Ritchie-Findlay-Nosad
Betzold-Cornel-(Trade or Euro).. Could be very competitive.. Let's hope Pumps goes no where.
Completely agree. What's the scoop/latest on Menard? Someone mentioned him yesterday, but since then I haven't read or heard anything..

Whether Puempel is here or not, I feel comfortable that if he is indeed dealt, we will get a very quality player in return for him. If not, Reid will not deal him.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Petes96

Quote:
Puempel-Quine-Menard
Ritchie-Findlay-Nosad
wow..never thought of that line-up..I like it a lot we'd be in for some offense for sure.. I like it

Old
06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
wow..never thought of that line-up..I like it a lot we'd be in for some offense for sure.. I like it
I agree. Add in a solid proven OA that we aquire in a trade for the import pick... And were sitting pretty. On offense anyways.. I think we still need a top 4 D-Man. (DeMelo or Basso)

Who was it that claimed the Menard rumour? Wana know if they can find out why it hasn't happened..

Last edited by defensehockey19: 06-06-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
As far as I know, I really haven't a clue. It's one of those things that may or may not happen, we may never hear another word about it, or it may happen in 2 weeks, no idea.
Do you know if Puempel has a list of teams... If so do you know who? My guess would be Windsor, Kitchener maybe Plymouth? Don't think he is a London kind of guy...

Old
06-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

This is encouraging, perhaps Menard? Sounds like we'll know by tomorrow.

http://www.thepeterboroug...need-for-a-top-6-forward

Quote:
Brett Findlay fills Petes’ need for a Top 6 forward

By Mike Davies, Peterborough Examiner

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:14:07 EDT PM

Dave Reid identified an off-season need for the Peterborough Petes to add forwards capable of playing in the top two lines.

The Petes GM made the acquisition of overage forward Brett Findlay official Wednesday filling one of those holes. Reid hopes to soon announce another deal to fill another hole.

Findlay is expected to centre the Petes second line behind Alan Quine. To get Findlay, the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds second leading scorer last season, the Petes gave up a 2013 second-round draft pick and 2014 third-round draft pick.

While trades can be fluid and nothing is official until the papers are signed, Reid says he's close to securing another overage forward and hopes to announce it this week. The Petes had two extra second-round draft picks in their vault from the Austin Watson trade so Reid said he feels comfortable giving up the picks. He thinks he can recoup those picks through other deals.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Do you know if Puempel has a list of teams... If so do you know who? My guess would be Windsor, Kitchener maybe Plymouth? Don't think he is a London kind of guy...
From what I have been told this is the problem, it is not a list, it is one team, and that team is Oshawa. Yes, Oshawa. Who's there? Jeff Twohey, the GM that brought Puempel into the OHL. Sounds like a perfect recipe for a wacky rumor, doesn't it? Unfortunately it isn't just rumor.

How on earth could we deal our Captain and most talented goalscorer to our biggest rival and a team just minutes down the road and in our same division? This is why I am in the belief that the Ottawa Senators organization may advise Puempel to stay put or loosen his demands. It would be like Jason Spezza from Ottawa saying "trade me to Toronto, that's the only place i'll go". That just isn't easy to do. It's near impossible to do.

This is why this trade is near impossible to make. Like I said, unless he loosens his demands, he'll likely remain a Pete. This is also why it has not hit the media, nor has the Petes side commented or leaked anything to the media and neither has Puempel or his agent, it's all being kept quiet by the parties involved, for obvious reasons. Either it's being dealt with internally and quietly to get done OR it is simply not going to be done. The latest I was told was Dave Reid has stated bluntly that he is not trading Matt Puempel.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Petes96

Quote:
From what I have been told this is the problem, it is not a list, it is one team, and that team is Oshawa. Yes, Oshawa. Who's there? Jeff Twohey, the GM that brought Puempel into the OHL. Sounds like a perfect recipe for a wacky rumor, doesn't it? Unfortunately it isn't just rumor.

How on earth could we deal our Captain and most talented goalscorer to our biggest rival and a team just minutes down the road and in our same division? This is why I am in the belief that the Ottawa Senators organization may advise Puempel to stay put or loosen his demands. It would be like Jason Spezza from Ottawa saying "trade me to Toronto, that's the only place i'll go". That just isn't easy to do. It's near impossible to do.

This is why this trade is near impossible to make. Like I said, unless he loosens his demands, he'll likely remain a Pete. This is also why it has not hit the media, nor has the Petes side commented or leaked anything to the media and neither has Puempel or his agent, it's all being kept quiet by the parties involved, for obvious reasons. Either it's being dealt with internally and quietly to get done OR it is simply not going to be done. The latest I was told was Dave Reid has stated bluntly that he is not trading Matt Puempel.
well you must be real close to the source to know all this. Hoping that its not true and he stays. This will be a very good team this year and he would flourish under some talented centermen

Old
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
well you must be real close to the source to know all this. Hoping that its not true and he stays. This will be a very good team this year and he would flourish under some talented centermen
It's interesting how many people I've talked to (fans) that are aware of some of these things. And to be honest, I am just a regular old fan. It's all quite interesting and who knows how this all pans out.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-07-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
seen em all

Rumour du jour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugy View Post
It's interesting how many people I've talked to (fans) that are aware of some of these things. And to be honest, I am just a regular old fan. It's all quite interesting and who knows how this all pans out.
Scott Sabourin RW is on his way to the Petes, like I said rumour

Old
06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
Scott Sabourin RW is on his way to the Petes, like I said rumour
And what about Francis Menard?

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
seen em all

Quote:
And what about Francis Menard?
Heard from a former Pete that both were in the works,that's all I know.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Heard from a former Pete that both were in the works,that's all I know.
Does this have to do with Puempel? Sabourin surely isn't enough. If it's some sort of package for Puempel, it could be interesting, but I can't see Oshawa providing the Petes with an OA if this has nothing to do with Puempel.

I wonder, with Twohey in Oshawa, he may like a player he drafted, and we've only got a couple. So...

Hietkamp for Sabourin?

Pick(s) for Menard?

Puempel - Quine - Menard
Ritchie - Findlay - Nosad
Betzold - Cornel - Sabourin
Thompson - Pierog - Mathers
Maguire

That could give an overage physical/tough guy to play with Cornel and Betzold, two rookies, and keep Mathers on the 4th in a checking role with Pierog, Thompson, Maguire. Or Mathers on the 3rd line and Sabourin on the 4th. Either or.

Either or, it would give us some more toughness, and I wouldn't mind that at all. However, we would still have our import pick (9th overall)...

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-07-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
seen em all

Quote:
Does this have to do with Puempel? Sabourin surely isn't enough. If it's some sort of package for Puempel, it could be interesting, but I can't see Oshawa providing the Petes with an OA if this has nothing to do with Puempel.
No mention of Puempel at all

Old
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No mention of Puempel at all
If it's Sabourin then I could certainly see it being Hietkamp going to Oshawa. Reid did say he had a deal in the works for an overage forward and he hoped to announce it before the end of the week.

I'd like Sabourin's size and toughness, we could use it, however we've got Mathers and we need productive overagers who can put up some points, Sabourin isn't exactly offensively productive. I'd be fine with Sabourin so long as we ALSO still got an offensive OA like Menard.

The Petes would have a solid few guys who can toss them fairly good in Mathers, Sabourin, Seymour, Pierog, Thompson. That's a nice group of toughness there.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-07-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Petes1

Quote:
If it's Sabourin then I could certainly see it being Hietkamp going to Oshawa. Reid did say he had a deal in the works for an overage forward and he hoped to announce it before the end of the week.

I'd like Sabourin's size and toughness, we could use it, however we've got Mathers and we need productive overagers who can put up some points, Sabourin isn't exactly offensively productive.
Sabourin isn't a top 6 guy though, and Reid said (or at least Davies) the guy the Petes were in talks for is a top 6.

Sabourin being a LWer doesn't really make sense. I could be wrong, but I can't see why Reid would fill up the final OA spot with Sabourin when there are other, better OA's out there available.

He fills a role, but is it worth filling that role with a 20 year old with limited offence?

Old
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
Sabourin isn't a top 6 guy though, and Reid said (or at least Davies) the guy the Petes were in talks for is a top 6.

Sabourin being a LWer doesn't really make sense. I could be wrong, but I can't see why Reid would fill up the final OA spot with Sabourin when there are other, better OA's out there available.

He fills a role, but is it worth filling that role with a 20 year old with limited offence?
I agree. Only thing I can think of if Reid wants Sabourin is he/Pelino want another veteran with toughness in the bottom 6. If our bottom 6 consists of Cornel, Betzold, Pierog, Thompson and Mathers (with Maguire in there too), that's fairly young. And Pelino and Reid both have said we didn't have enough veteran guys last year, or something to that effect. Maybe they feel better with another veteran who can fill a role and drop the mitts in the bottom 6? That would allow a tough guy (Mathers, Sabourin) to be on both our 3rd and 4th line.

And to top it off, if it's just at the expense of Hietkamp (who likely has minimal value across the league and I don't see where he fits in on the Petes), it could very well be worth it, especially considering if there is any GM in the OHL that would want Hietkamp, it may be his former GM and the guy who drafted him, Twohey.

I'm spitballing here, but I could see Reid/Pelino wanting a veteran like Sabourin. But if we're going to have Sabourin occupy an OA spot, we best still acquire a top 6 offensive OA like Menard.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Petes96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post

well lets hope this deal isn't the one they're talking about. Wow that would be really bad and going in reverse. We need right wingers not another Left winger. And an OA tough guy does nothing for us

Old
06-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Petes96

Quote:
I agree. Only thing I can think of if Reid wants Sabourin is he/Pelino want another veteran in the bottom 6. If our bottom 6 consists of Cornel, Betzold, Pierog, Thompson and Mathers (with Maguire in there too), that's fairly young. And Pelino and Reid both have said we didn't have enough veteran guys last year, or something to that effect. Maybe they feel better with another veteran who can fill a role and drop the mitts in the bottom 6? That would allow a tough guy (Mathers, Sabourin) to be on both our 3rd and 4th line.

And to top it off, if it's just as the expense of Hietkamp (who likely has minimal value across the league), it could very well be worth it, especially considering if there is any GM in the OHL that would want Hietkamp, it may be his former GM and the guy who drafted him, Twohey.

I'm spitballing here, but I could see Reid/Pelino wanting a veteran like Sabourin. But if we're going to have Sabourin occupy an OA spot, we best still acquire a top 6 offensive OA like Menard.
would this end Fitz' time with the Pete's as well?? and what about Hatcher? he could turn into an enforcer on the team

Old
06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
would this end Fitz' time with the Pete's as well?? and what about Hatcher? he could turn into an enforcer on the team
I would surely think Fitze will not occupy an OA spot. As for Hatcher, in all likelihood he'll be here to save face of the Watson trade, but I didn't see much if anything at all in him, to be honest.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Petes96

Quote:
I would surely think Fitze will not occupy an OA spot. As for Hatcher, in all likelihood he'll be here to save face of the Watson trade, but I didn't see much if anything at all in him, to be honest.
well if that's the case we have a lot of players up front now

Puempel, Quine, Ritchie, Findlay, Nosad, Betzold, Pierog, Hatcher, Mathers, Thompson, Cornell, Maguire, Heitkamp (or trade), Menaud. That's 14 forwards

Old
06-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
well if that's the case we have a lot of players up front now

Puempel, Quine, Ritchie, Findlay, Nosad, Betzold, Pierog, Hatcher, Mathers, Thompson, Cornell, Maguire, Heitkamp (or trade), Menaud. That's 14 forwards

Yes, and we'd certainly have some quality depth there. I actually like the look of this line-up a fair bit. My theory is if we're acquiring Sabourin, we're possibly dealing Hietkamp for him. Twohey may want one of his former players, wouldn't surprise me in the least.

My guess, (if of course we do acquire Menard/another top 6 OA)

Puempel - Quine - Menard
Ritchie - Findlay - Nosad
Betzold - Cornel - Mathers
Thompson - Pierog - Sabourin
Maguire
Hatcher

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-07-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Closed Thread