HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Martin or Therrien?

View Poll Results: Martin or Therrien?
Martin 46 37.10%
Therrien 78 62.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Travis Moen

vCash: 500
The poll being so close just proves that we have regressed as a team which is sad since we were already badé

Therrien OUT, Bergevin OUT

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
The poll being so close just proves that we have regressed as a team which is sad since we were already badé

0 Wins
0 Goals For

Terrible.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Stradale

Quote:

What does a poll on HFboards have anything to do with the team itself?

Didn't know we have that much power!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I can't say I'm thrilled about Therrien, but I would prefer him to Martin. I don't think the players enjoyed the style of play they were asked to execute and quite honestly I didn't find it very entertaining to watch most of our games over the last two years, win or lose. A change was needed.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I don't like the Therrien hiring, but JM was the worst coach I've had the unlucky chance to watch.

No emotions. No adapting. Boring games. He sucked 2 years out of my life. It was to the point where I missed Carbonneau.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:34 AM
wedge

I'll take Therrien. We need emotion. Martin showed 0 emotion in his 2 years in a half. I hated that.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
HockeyF3ind

There were a couple problems with Martin IMO.
He didn't seem to engage his players much during the game. While there might be something to be said for a stoic reserve in a coach, I think when you are down in a game talking to your players is a necessity, and Martin seemed regress from his players during those times.
Also, it seemed pretty clear that we were not playing a puck possession game much of the time. Our habs were often relegated to dump-and-chase hockey, instead of gaining entry into the zone. It might be safer from a defensive stand point, but I feel it often under utilized our players' talents.

Therrien was let go right around the time I started to follow the Habs, so I have no recollection of his ability. In this case the devil i don't know takes the cake.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:11 AM
FinnHab

Quote:

Effin Hfboards poll proves that Habs regressed as a team?? Wow...

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:11 AM
should2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
If Toronto, stated they will be hiring english only management, Quebec would file a seperation referendum the following day.
Isn't Toronto already hiring English speaking management, what are you trying to get at ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
we deserve the best candidate for each position!
I don't fancy Therrien either but why is it assumed by all West Islanders that French speaking candidates are by default weaker ? I don't mind an English speaking coach as a matter of fact when the Count was hired I couldn't believe we passed on Laviolette. But we also passed on Boucher who was French and a very good coach. You see French and good can be in the same sentence ... Get it ?

should2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:17 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Neither and you are really overrating Martin. The guy is an old school coach who's best days have passed him by. He is not great with young players and had a lot of trouble adapting as needed.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:18 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

Not sure if serious

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

If Martin had just been hired and Therrien fired this poll would have been 75-3 in favor of Martin

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:36 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If Martin had just been hired and Therrien fired this poll would have been 75-3 in favor of Martin
Probably. Martin is the superior coach I believe.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:

Yes, because HF Boards' posters are the best judges of a team's potential.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

The poll being so close just proves that fans are bipolar. In heaven when things go right, in hell when they don't. Fans need to sit back and enjoy the ride instead of grabbing the fake steering wheel pretending they are in the driver seat.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The poll being so close just proves that fans are bipolar. In heaven when things go right, in hell when they don't. Fans need to sit back and enjoy the ride instead of grabbing the fake steering wheel pretending they are in the driver seat.
How does having an opinion on coaches equate to trying to "drive" the organization?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
How does having an opinion on coaches equate to trying to "drive" the organization?
Because the people who act like drama queens are always the same criticizing everything. Stop, relax, enjoy the ride. Heck in this case, the guy hasn't even coached a game since his nomination. It's absurd.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, in a vacuum, I'll say Martin... he isn't "fun", but was reasonably ineffective. He had however become stale as Habs coach, so I wouldn't want him back either. I'd take Martin as a "new hire" for a team in general. I'd take Therrien for the Habs right at this moment, as the lesser evil, change-for-change's sake basically.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I respect both of them. I can't say who's better because I've never been coached by any of them.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Because the people who act like drama queens are always the same criticizing everything. Stop, relax, enjoy the ride. Heck in this case, the guy hasn't even coached a game since his nomination. It's absurd.
How are attempts to "drive" their posting habits or suggesting to people that it'd be best to NOT have an opinion right now any different or beneficial to a site that profits on discussion? I think people that are too quick to label others as "drama queens" for expressing opinions are just as bad as those who seem too quick to form/express them.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
So very true. I cannot understand how intense some fans are regarding a coach nomination over which they have absolutely no say. Sure, you can be disappointed, but to go on a crusade to get rid of Therrien before he even coached a single game is a bit nut.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
How are attempts to "drive" their posting habits or suggesting to people that it'd be best to NOT have an opinion right now any different or beneficial to a site that profits on discussion? I think people that are too quick to label others as "drama queens" for expressing opinions are just as bad as those who seem too quick to form/express them.
You can disagree with the nomination of a coach and explain why, it will probably lead to an insightful and interesting discussion.

If you say it's "the worst nomination ever", that "Therrien is an awful coach that has never won anything and never will", and such, it's overdramatic, emotionally-charged opinions that simply cannot be discussed in a civil manner. The only way you can have a conversation with someone with such extreme point of views is by using the same kind of rhetoric, which never leads to a real discussion, only to bickering and pointless arguing that almost always end up in name calling.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
You can disagree with the nomination of a coach and explain why, it will probably lead to an insightful and interesting discussion.

If you say it's "the worst nomination ever", that "Therrien is an awful coach that has never won anything and never will", and such, it's overdramatic, emotionally-charged opinions that simply cannot be discussed in a civil manner. The only way you can have a conversation with someone with such extreme point of views is by using the same kind of rhetoric, which never leads to a real discussion, only to bickering and pointless arguing that almost always end up in name calling.
Exactly why I ask the question to those who take issue: "Why complain about bothering to try and drive the posting habits of people like that through replies to their posts?"

Old
06-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Exactly why I ask the question to those who take issue: "Why complain about bothering to try and drive the posting habits of people like that through replies to their posts?"
Well, I guess you are right then. And labeling them as drama queen is playing into their game.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Only bipolar if you wanted Martin out at all costs then complain. I never wanted JM to be fired so.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote