HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going thru major slump

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2012, 08:04 AM
  #1
TUCKER 06
Registered User
 
TUCKER 06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Going thru major slump

I've only had 2 points in the last 6 games (1 goal, 1 assist) and those have been pretty spaced out. I'm starting to get really frustrated and it's affecting my overall game. I typically get anywhere from a couple points a night to a hat-trick plus assists in a night.

I broke two sticks last night. My "good" one an EQ 30 - the toe split, probably from digging and grinding it out in the corners and I smashed my back-up stick out of sheer frustration (not my best moment, I know - I don't need to hear about it).

I usually have no problem sniping the corners of the net, but lately it seems like every time I get a chance I end up putting it right in the goalie's chest. I've had a handful of breakaways over the last 6 games and - all credit to the goalies here, they've made some unbelieveable desperation saves.

I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to the new gloves I picked up recently (ironically about 5 games ago) or if it was because my EQ 30 has been split for the past 6 games, but somethings affecting my game in a big way.

I've been doing my best to keep a positive attitude (we're ultimately out there to have fun, but I also want to continuously improve my game) and I'd never blame any of the guys I've been playing with, although there have certainly been broken down plays that have annoyed me.

I've been skating harder than before, finding open ice, and parking myself infront of the net, but I still seem to be fighting the puck.

I need advice on breaking this slump. I feel like Gomez out there.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
  #2
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Would be nice if you could take a break from hockey and just regather your thoughts. You might just be fogged up with all the negativity and that could be throwing your game off.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
  #3
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
or if it was because my EQ 30 has been split for the past 6 games, but somethings affecting my game in a big way.
I had a similar situation where I kept using my fav stick although there was a crack in the blade. I kept telling myself it's nothing, as it did not have that "cracked blade sound", but my shot was getting worse and worse, and I was really getting frustrated. The blade finally fell to pieces on a slapshot and guess what, as soon as I used a new stick my shot was back to "normal" again.

I guess I just underestimated how much a blade flexes once you really put weight in the shot and once you have a crack in the blade it will even flex more, giving you very little control of the puck.

On the other hand just go out and have fun, maybe you put too much pressure on yourself.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  #4
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
Slumps aren't really slumps. They just occur because randomness is clumpy. You aren't any better or worse than you were 5-10 games ago.

Check out this Radiolab episode on randomness - in particular, the second segment on the "hot hand" in sports. http://www.radiolab.org/2009/jun/15/

After listening, I stopped caring about the peaks and valleys. They happen.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
  #5
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,554
vCash: 50
i got a new tattoo, 5 hours later and 6 games later i have 18pts. slumpbuster tats for the win

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:44 PM
  #6
Trevor3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stephenville - YJT
Country: Canada
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
I scored a goal in January of 2006, it trickled through the goalie's pads and came to rest 1 inch inside the goal line. The next time I scored was January of 2009. I played house league, High School and Midget rep concurrently throughout the slump. I broke it by completely giving up and eating McDonald's for a pregame meal.

The sooner you forget about it, the quicker you'll break out of it.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
  #7
650X2
Registered User
 
650X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
+1 on forgetting about it.

Focus on a different part of the game instead of scoring like back checking, faceoffs or something like that. Before you know it you wont be on a slump anymore.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:53 PM
  #8
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,079
vCash: 500
It's because you're a habs fan

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:58 PM
  #9
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,335
vCash: 500
There's more to hockey than putting up points. I honestly think most of my best games are the games where I don't get any points, especially when I get those lazy games where I just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:56 AM
  #10
TUCKER 06
Registered User
 
TUCKER 06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
+1 on forgetting about it.

Focus on a different part of the game instead of scoring like back checking, faceoffs or something like that. Before you know it you wont be on a slump anymore.
Good suggestion. I will start focussing more on the parts of my game which could use some work and worry less about what is going wrong with my offensive game.

I suppose I do put more pressure on myself than is necessary, but I'm really keen on becoming the best player I can possibly be and that means constantly working on and evaluating my game. So when something like my points drop off I start wondering wtf I'm doing differently.

I'm going to be picking up some new twigs soon, so hopefully that will bring my shot back, like izzy3 said.

I guess I could use a bit of a break to refocus, as esidebill suggested, but since I've already paid for summer hockey 3 x a week, this is out of the question.

Thanks boys.


Last edited by TUCKER 06: 06-07-2012 at 08:02 AM.
TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:57 AM
  #11
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
Good suggestion. I will start focussing more on the parts of my game which could use some work and worry less about what is going wrong with my offensive game.

I suppose I do put more pressure on myself than is necessary, but I'm really keen on becoming the best player I can possibly be and that means constantly working on and evaluating my game. So when something like my points drop off I start wondering wtf I'm doing differently.

I'm going to be picking up some new twigs soon, so hopefully that will bring my shot back, like izzy3 said.

I guess I could use a bit of a break to refocus, as esidebill suggested, but since I've already paid for summer hockey 3 x a week, this is out of the question.

Thanks boys.


if you are used to getting goals focus on being the set up man, aim for assists and hook up your boys, this works for getting you back on the scoresheet and you will also start potting rebounds and garbage, once your swords get a few dirty goals the ones you are used to will come.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
  #12
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,725
vCash: 500
Contrary to that advice, my best way to avoid a slump is to focus on the things I'm good at, not the things I'm not. Visualizing and focusing on flying up the ice and scoring goals helps me to do it in real life. Visualizing and focusing on playing defense and getting assists means I'm stuck in the defensive end and turning the puck over.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
  #13
TUCKER 06
Registered User
 
TUCKER 06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Contrary to that advice, my best way to avoid a slump is to focus on the things I'm good at, not the things I'm not. Visualizing and focusing on flying up the ice and scoring goals helps me to do it in real life. Visualizing and focusing on playing defense and getting assists means I'm stuck in the defensive end and turning the puck over.
That's a good point too....There's really no real proven way of getting one's self out of a slump I suppose.

I guess I'll just try not to let it bother me and continue to skate hard and find the open ice. It's summer hockey afterall, and not as if it is the Stanley Cup finals (KOVALCHUK!!!)

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
  #14
thepatient
Registered User
 
thepatient's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
2pts in 6 games sounds like a hot streak to me lol

thepatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
  #15
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,725
vCash: 500
A good read is Psycho Cybernetics. It's a motivational book from the 60's. But it's got an interesting take on achieving goals. Visualize your goals as detailed as possible, including the sights, sounds, smells, be really damn detailed. Spend a good 5-10 minutes doing that, then clear your mind and don't think too hard. You will start to act on instinct towards your goals rather than your mind getting in your own way.

Sounds cheesy, but isn't that what sports is? You practice something until you know it by heart, then you just go out and do it without thinking. You don't get the puck and stop and think "well how do I shoot it?" you just shoot it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
  #16
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepatient View Post
2pts in 6 games sounds like a hot streak to me lol
It's funny because it's true lol

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
  #17
TUCKER 06
Registered User
 
TUCKER 06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
A good read is Psycho Cybernetics. It's a motivational book from the 60's. But it's got an interesting take on achieving goals. Visualize your goals as detailed as possible, including the sights, sounds, smells, be really damn detailed. Spend a good 5-10 minutes doing that, then clear your mind and don't think too hard. You will start to act on instinct towards your goals rather than your mind getting in your own way.

Sounds cheesy, but isn't that what sports is? You practice something until you know it by heart, then you just go out and do it without thinking. You don't get the puck and stop and think "well how do I shoot it?" you just shoot it.
That sunds like a good exercise to simply clear the mind of all the clutter and frustration and to help me just focus on what I need to do to get what I want out of my game.

I'm sure it works the same if I were to picture other goals I've scored or assists I've made in the past where I felt they've exemplified what it is about my game that I feel is successful/ that I want to be successful.

Fluffy stuff, for sure, but I'm willing to try anything!

And yes, to some 2 pts in 6 games is a hot streak. Not to me though

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:18 PM
  #18
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Could be worse.

You could be playing goal and have a slump.

With playing out, i've found that if i'm slumping/failing at one aspect of my game, I could easily just focus on what I was doing well at the moment. (going from stay at home D to a more aggressive, pinching D man, for an example)

Since i've been playing goal; if i even think that i'm slumping, i find my game suffers greatly.

Just be thankful you're not between the pipes.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
  #19
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Could be worse.

You could be playing goal and have a slump.

With playing out, i've found that if i'm slumping/failing at one aspect of my game, I could easily just focus on what I was doing well at the moment. (going from stay at home D to a more aggressive, pinching D man, for an example)

Since i've been playing goal; if i even think that i'm slumping, i find my game suffers greatly.

Just be thankful you're not between the pipes.
Goalies get less forgiveness for slumps, that's for sure :p

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:36 AM
  #20
Achronos19
Registered User
 
Achronos19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Oh dude not finishing breakaways is the worst. I've gone scoreless my last 4 or 5 tries.

Achronos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:06 AM
  #21
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou
 
Axman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achronos19 View Post
Oh dude not finishing breakaways is the worst. I've gone scoreless my last 4 or 5 tries.
Tell me about it. I was all alone and stick handling with one hand when I lost the puck in my skates and skated offside. I was on the verge of tossing my stick like a boomerang.

Enough Jagr stuff, I'm duct taping both hands to my stick

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
  #22
TUCKER 06
Registered User
 
TUCKER 06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achronos19 View Post
Oh dude not finishing breakaways is the worst. I've gone scoreless my last 4 or 5 tries.
Hit the post on two of them, missed the net once, lost the puck in my skates once and then goalies came up big with some mind boggling saves on about 3 of them.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
  #23
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
i'm sure scott gomez could give you some good advice

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:30 PM
  #24
Achronos19
Registered User
 
Achronos19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
Hit the post on two of them, missed the net once, lost the puck in my skates once and then goalies came up big with some mind boggling saves on about 3 of them.
Ugghhh sorry bro. I wanna blame my stick for my recent failures but that's dumb. I usually fake shot, backhand, forehand, backhand then up. But the last 3 times I tried I just put the puck wide on my backhand. So annoying. Last breakaway I had I said screw this I'm just shooting. I hit my spot nicely unfortunately the goalie has some ridiculous glove hand and picks it out like aaahhhhhh!

Achronos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:26 AM
  #25
TUCKER 06
Registered User
 
TUCKER 06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achronos19 View Post
Ugghhh sorry bro. I wanna blame my stick for my recent failures but that's dumb. I usually fake shot, backhand, forehand, backhand then up. But the last 3 times I tried I just put the puck wide on my backhand. So annoying. Last breakaway I had I said screw this I'm just shooting. I hit my spot nicely unfortunately the goalie has some ridiculous glove hand and picks it out like aaahhhhhh!

I apologized to some of the guys for my crappy attitude lately and for smashing my stick last week out of frustration. I'm not that kind of guy, but I let my emotions get the better of me that once and have been embarassed about it since.

On the plus side, since I broke both sticks, I went to Sport Chek on the weekend and found 2 Warrior Hitman sticks on sale from $189.99 to $79.99. Luckily they were the curve pattern & flex I like (Draper 85). So I snagged those and fell in love while I was testing it out at warm-up. My wrist shot feels 50% harder and 25% more accurate.

I played a great game last night - no points to show for it, but I was setting a couple guys up left right and centre with some great passes. One thing I'm kicking myself over is that I was on a 2 on 1 with a really, REALLy skilled guy on my team and as we were bearing down on the net, he called for the pass. I WAY over-thought it, wanted to fake out the goalie with a fake-shot and then pass to him, but then my guy yells "shot" and I thought I should shoot, but then decided for the pass and ended up flubbing it anyway.

I just kinda smiled at myself and said "sorry bro" - obviously he didnt care, but the goalie called out to me as I skated around the net, "you had me beat man!" - dang it..with the new Warrior Hitman I picked up I could have roofed that sucker too.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.