HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What should the Habs do with our 1st pick?

View Poll Results: What should the Habs do with our 1st pick?
Stay put 177 73.75%
Trade up 29 12.08%
Trade down 14 5.83%
Mega trade for established player 20 8.33%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Roy didn't succeed at putting any passion in his game last year.

I prefer a guy that's equally skilled but more motivated and better work ethic in Galchenyuk. Why take a needless risk?
Edit: all right nvm, reading skills failing, so you would rather trade up?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:10 AM
sergejean

Keep the pick if Timmins really covet one player that in his opinion will be a cut above the rest. If he identifies a group of 4-5 similar caliber players, then consider trading down.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:12 AM
idk

Quote:
Roy didn't succeed at putting any passion in his game last year.

I prefer a guy that's equally skilled but more motivated and better work ethic in Galchenyuk. Why take a needless risk?
Because of the risk on the other side - that Galchenyuk's ACL injury will permanently stunt his growth (both by costing him an entire season in junior and by leaving his knee weakened).

That said apparently Alex looked like a beast at the combine.

idk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Edit: all right nvm, reading skills failing, so you would rather trade up?
I would stay at #3 assuming Edmonton still likes Yakupov and Murray and Columbus still likes Forsberg.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm not necessarily worried about height/weight/stats since your claim is that Gally is "equally skilled", "more motivated", and has "better work ethic". I'm willing to accept any good answers you may have as to why you think this to be the case. And while I'm encouraged by his combine performance as well, understand that the only thing he "ranked among the best" in was anaerobic peak power output, and I believe that was measured on the bike, which is a non-impact exercise on the knee. Where did he rank in the jumping and vertex leg power stations? Just sayin'.
Why is it non-impact? I don't get it. The exercice measures the amount of strength (power) someone can exercice on the fly wheel of a bike in a short period time. That doesn't sound like non-impact to me, unless they use their arms to do the pushing

Old
06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
I would stay at #3 assuming Edmonton still likes Yakupov and Murray and Columbus still likes Forsberg.
Yeah that's was I saying because my initial position on the poll was to trade up to ensure getting Yakupo or Galchenyuk. So I agree, there's no way we should pass on Gally.

Sorry I'm kinda hard to follow eh.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:54 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
GALCHENYK BABY!!!

1. Great work ethic
2. Gym rat
3. Born in North America
4. May not be the highest ceiling but a very safe high end!
I don't understand how a player who missed almost an entire year and didn't look to form in the 8 games he did play can be a very safe pick?

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Stay put and draft the best player at 3rd.
forsberg same pick for 12 years

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
No Team Needed

Move up to 1st or 2nd Overall if you can, otherwise stay. Some people don't understand how special Yakupov is. I'll bank on him being Stamkos special, just not as much of a goal scorer.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:52 PM
tlureb

Quote:
I'm not necessarily worried about height/weight/stats since your claim is that Gally is "equally skilled", "more motivated", and has "better work ethic". I'm willing to accept any good answers you may have as to why you think this to be the case. And while I'm encouraged by his combine performance as well, understand that the only thing he "ranked among the best" in was anaerobic peak power output, and I believe that was measured on the bike, which is a non-impact exercise on the knee. Where did he rank in the jumping and vertex leg power stations? Just sayin'.
Two prospects in this year's draft can fundamentally change the team's complexion in the near future. Through very different pathways...center line optimization and defense corps' critical mass attainment..., either Grigorenko or Murray would morph the Habs into an entirely different beast altogether, and thus should be at the very top of the Habs' draft list. On a par. And way ahead of both Yakupov and Forsberg.

Murray would make, through Doug Harvey-like inbred composure, the whole of the defense corps, including Price in the net, nimbler, smarter, ...much much more than the sum of its parts.

Grigorenko would bring, through wingspan and parietal lobe, rink-wide game strategy to a wholesome new dimension.

As for the uber hyped Galchenyuk... There are two major consequences for a young Hockey player to a precocious and serious knee injury:

-the real physical damage done to a crucial body part that could not suffer either iterated accidental damage to the reconstructed part, ...or relentless pounding by crooked or in-the-heat-of-the-moment opponents.

-the psycho-somatic damage to the player's bread-and-butter 'game' that leads him to subconsciously factor in the risk associated with his style of play. In other words, the player has to adapt to a newly upended personal reality, ...and henceforth, a permanently wounded intuition takes control for dear life and career over the player's natural hockey mindset.

This makes him a throw of the dice for a team with a rare number three pick, ...the worst kind of uncertainty that stems bounty for any insurance company dealing in risk appraisal...and coverage, as well as firms yet mouth-watering at future damage-control-management contracts.

...and I concur with J.Stall as perfectly valid third quality-option.

tlureb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Why is it non-impact? I don't get it. The exercice measures the amount of strength (power) someone can exercice on the fly wheel of a bike in a short period time. That doesn't sound like non-impact to me, unless they use their arms to do the pushing
I guess if you managed a bike shop, like I do, and dealt with the same number of customers (often older) transitioning from jogging to cycling because of the reduced impact on their knees and ankles, then you'd probably understand. You don't have to use your legs to instantly, and repeatedly, stop all your momentum, and then thrust your body weight into another direction. I could elaborate, I suppose, but let's just say that jumping and cycling affect your legs in completely different ways, and knee injuries seem to be way more of a hindrance to jumping/jogging than cycling.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
I guess if you managed a bike shop, like I do, and dealt with the same number of customers (often older) transitioning from jogging to cycling because of the reduced impact on their knees and ankles, then you'd probably understand. You don't have to use your legs to instantly, and repeatedly, stop all your momentum, and then thrust your body weight into another direction. I could elaborate, I suppose, but let's just say that jumping and cycling affect your legs in completely different ways, and knee injuries seem to be way more of a hindrance to jumping/jogging than cycling.
I think I get it, like skiing basically. More sudden moves than a single 5 seconds rush. I want to see him jump rope then

Edit: Skipping apparently is the correct term.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:40 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
I don't understand how a player who missed almost an entire year and didn't look to form in the 8 games he did play can be a very safe pick?
It's for the same reason Markov doesn't get the respect he has earned. If we don't trade up (Yakupov and his concussion), we should draft Galchenyuk. Hadn't he been injuried he might have been taken 1st overall. A knee can get reconstructed. Just ask the Wiz. Hemsky has been crippled by shoulders injuries all his career. ACL and MCL take the longest to recover from, but they are not the worst injury, for a hockey player.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

My instinct would be getting a roster player for the pick but we don't have much depth in our forwards, we don't have a lot of young talented forwards that could play in our first two lines in 5 years.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Most of those guys are not on the trading block...Seguin, Tavares, RNH, Benn, Kopitar, Stamkos etc
I don't pay much attention to names that may or may not be available according to the fans. Not one fan and very few "hockey experts" believed that not only Jeff Carter, but Mike Richards, would be traded by the Flyers. If the offer improves the team getting the inquiry, there's a possibility there. Que sera sera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
The name that is in my mind when I think of that possibility is Bobby Ryan.
Food for thoughts for sure.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:08 AM
bsl

Quote:
If TT is sure Gals is the guy, he'd better trade with Columbus or we likely lose Gals, as they will likely pick Gals if he is seen as that strong.

I think Columbus takes Gals.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:23 AM
bsl

Quote:
Why does a hammer drive a nail into wood, when you could sit a large weight to the nail and it would not move? Impulse. An equal force applied over a much shorter time drives the nail.

High energy Impacts over short periods, such has being hit in the knee, are therefore much more stressful than riding a bike, and applying energy to the joint over a much longer time.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:21 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
It's for the same reason Markov doesn't get the respect he has earned. If we don't trade up (Yakupov and his concussion), we should draft Galchenyuk. Hadn't he been injuried he might have been taken 1st overall. A knee can get reconstructed. Just ask the Wiz. Hemsky has been crippled by shoulders injuries all his career. ACL and MCL take the longest to recover from, but they are not the worst injury, for a hockey player.
He might also have been the forward version of Ebert, there is a risk.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:03 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Galchenyuk is heavier then Grigorenko and Grigorenko could be 5'11", 180lbs and it wouldn't really make any difference because of his style of play.

I think someone is a bit off.

Mikhail Grigorenko
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/200 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Quebec

Alex Galchenyuk
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/185 lbs
Position:C

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I think someone is a bit off.

Mikhail Grigorenko
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/200 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Quebec

Alex Galchenyuk
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/185 lbs
Position:C
Though it's tough to compare from pictures, Galchenyuk doesn't seem much taller than Yakupov. He's listed at 6,05-1 in many places. And somewhere he's 6'2.

If they just would publish those heights from combine..

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Ginu

I think the poll is worded wrongly. I want Galchenyuk. If we need to trade up to 2nd to get him we should since he's the ideal center to complement our group of prospects. If we don't need to, stay put. I don't think we should just draft BPA, whoever's available at 3.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Zorro

How's this?

To MTL: 1st overall

To EDM: 2013 – 1st, 2012 – 2nd rd, Beaulieu, Eller, Leblanc

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
How's this?

To MTL: 1st overall

To EDM: 2013 – 1st, 2012 – 2nd rd, Beaulieu, Eller, Leblanc
What the ****. No.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What the ****. No.
This is done, if we can ensure to get both Yakupov & Galy.

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:59 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
This is done, if we can ensure to get both Yakupov & Galy.
So we give up the equivalent of 4 first round picks and a 2nd? You didn't specify the second, so I assume you mean our own second, which is practically another first rounder at 32nd overall. Get off HFboards, Burkie. You're not foolin' anyone.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote