HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

End of Tim Thomas' Team USA career?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
  #1
PaulieVegas
Registered User
 
PaulieVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
End of Tim Thomas' Team USA career?

So, Tim Thomas announced today he is taking next season off to be with family. I wish him luck, and I respect his decision. But I wonder, if not hope, that this combined with other past actions and his age spells the end of his being considered for the 2014 Olympic team.

USA has an unprecedented level of quality and depth at goaltending right now. It's not like we're hurting for quality netminders. There are six players I would feel comfortable bringing to the Olympics: Miller, Thomas, Quick, Howard, Anderson, and Schnieder. We can only bring three, and we can only start one.

Thomas has three strikes against him (four, if you count the aforementioned fact that we have lots of other quality options in goal). First, he will be 40-years-old in Sochi. Second, he basically quit on his Bruin teammates. I understand and appreciate that he wants to spend more time with family, that's respectable. But you know what? There are 600+ players in the NHL with the same issue, and you don't see them taking a season off. This can only be looked at as a negative, especially since he's only 3-4 years away from being able to spend all the time with his family that he wants for the rest of his life.

But finally, and perhaps most importantly, is his decision not to attend the White House ceremony when the Bruins won the Cup. I don't care what your politics are, do we really want to send someone to represent the USA who decided to stand up the President, which can (and perhaps should) be interpreted as standing up the country? Especially when we have other quality alternatives?

Whatever Thomas does from here, I wish him luck, but I believe this should spell the end of his chances of making the Sochi team. We have too many quality goalies to send someone to represent us who's shown blatant disregard for both his Bruin teammates and his country. I say send Miller, Quick, and Howard or Schneider and leave Thomas to watch at home on TV.


Last edited by PaulieVegas: 06-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
  #2
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Tim Thomas would not be a starter anyways in Sochi. I have Quick and Miller, along with Schneider as Team USA's goalies. Thomas would have been sitting and stewing anyways. It worked out good for Team USA. No need for this headache.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:04 PM
  #3
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
If he comes back after the year off and is playing like a top 3 US goalie then I'll happily take him on the team.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
  #4
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,647
vCash: 500
I agree with Cagney in that if he's still playing like a Top 3 USA goalie then he should certainly be there or in contention. But I have my doubts he'll be that given he's essentially railroaded his career in the past year, seemingly lost his focus, and purposely turned against a lot of the media/fans that made him the beloved story that he himself once embraced. Even doing all that he's still a great goalie but as he approaches 40, I don't think he can afford to lose his focus as he has and still be at the top of his game.

Barring absolute collapses by Quick/Miller he's not going to beat them out by taking off a year (and then if he does come back it will almost certainly be to a new NHL team and who knows what situation he'd step into) and there's zero reason to think Cory Schneider won't be a top goalie in this league either and deserving of a spot and he's 12 years younger than Thomas.

I don't really agree with any of Tim's antics, vendettas, motivations, or whatever, and I think he's come across as a huge hypocrite in this whole matter, but in summation, if he's back in the NHL and playing at the top of his game, he'll certainly be in contention for the team and rightfully so. And his declaration to Boston GM Chiarelli that he wants to play in the 2014 Olympics would make me think he really is going to come back to the NHL because he shouldn't sniff that team if he's not playing but I don't really trust his judgment at this moment anyway so who knows what he's thinking?

It'll be interesting to see what happens at next year's World Championships with Thomas sitting out the year. I'm sure USAH would approach him and the Bruins about playing but would he be willing to be even more hated (assuming he doesn't officially retire) by sitting out the entire year on the Bruins but then suiting up in that tournament? The Curious Case of Tim Thomas shall continue.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 06-03-2012 at 10:21 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
  #5
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,615
vCash: 500
I dont think anything legal that he says or does of his own free will should be held against him when it comes to getting selected for team USA in 2014.

The man has proven himself to be a warrior and a person that acts from the heart and not his head. I probably wouldnt have gone to the White House either as I respect the position but not the man holding that position. I dont think it shows that he did something towards this country...just one man in particular who many people cannot stand. I dont like the president, am I less of an American?

If he was laying out in the middle of a street like some of these wall street/UN protesters, then I can see a beef because he really is making a scene that is affecting other Americans...but he has freedom of speech, and he simply used it right or wrong.

As for his current play, he is still our #3 goalie behind Quick and Miller, so if he comes back and plays mid next year or in 2014 at a similar level, USA Hockey would be stupid not to take him. Quick is an emerging star, and Miller is still our golden boy with a lot of miles left in the tank, so whoever is #3 is not going to see action unless a ridiculous injury occurs, and if that happens a proven warrior like Thomas would get my vote if he is still playing at a real high level....though Howard is our likely #3 right now...

What would be cool is if Thomas decides to return to hockey for the 2013 WC....that would give us another top goalie and a chance to medal again if Miller and Quick are burnt out, plus put him back in the spotlight for the US and Sochi.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 05:17 PM
  #6
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,957
vCash: 500
I am not American but I believe you take the best player - politics be damned.

BTW... Can you spare a goalie?

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:31 PM
  #7
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I am not American but I believe you take the best player - politics be damned.

BTW... Can you spare a goalie?
Rick DiPietro?

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 08:23 PM
  #8
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Rick DiPietro?
We'll take Quick as our goalie. Hockey Canada should get in touch with him after he wins the cup. However
he was on the 2010 roster for Team USA, so he would not be elgible to play for Canada which sucks.
Guess it is Luongo, Ward or Price. Hopefully Mike Smith has a great year to get one of the spots. Not happy
with Canada's goaltending as of right now. Luongo was good enough to win, but at times was shaky giving
up big fat rebounds too many times.


Last edited by Mehar: 06-07-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:12 AM
  #9
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Rick DiPietro?
It is getting to the point where we might just take you up on it.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:44 PM
  #10
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,615
vCash: 500
if Marty keeps playing this way, why the hell not eh? I know he got pulled in 2010 and is 40 years old, but if he is still in the league, he should be on team Canada if nothing else steps up.

I think you guys have some solid guys that can be real players, for one Carey Price is still very young and imo, will be your starter by 2014. Luongo will be there as well, new team or not, the guy did help win you guys the gold...

Canada has solid goalies, it really isnt that bad, just an off year for some...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:29 PM
  #11
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,334
vCash: 500
Who needs Tim Thomas when you have Jonathan Quick, Jimmy Howard and Ryan Miller...?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:32 PM
  #12
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
if Marty keeps playing this way, why the hell not eh? I know he got pulled in 2010 and is 40 years old, but if he is still in the league, he should be on team Canada if nothing else steps up.

I think you guys have some solid guys that can be real players, for one Carey Price is still very young and imo, will be your starter by 2014. Luongo will be there as well, new team or not, the guy did help win you guys the gold...

Canada has solid goalies, it really isnt that bad, just an off year for some...
I don't know AD...

Let me answer you this way... Would you trade your goalies for ours? I didn't think so.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
  #13
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I don't know AD...

Let me answer you this way... Would you trade your goalies for ours? I didn't think so.
maybe, maybe not, but would you trade your Gold for our Silver??

I think you are still in great hands with the overall team, and goaltending may not be your strength, but I wouldnt call it that much of a weakness when you can have bounce back years from Ward, MAF, Price, etc....

maybe the Kings can finally move Bernier to say the Hawks at the draft and he becomes a #1 young gun...ya never know

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:19 AM
  #14
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
maybe, maybe not, but would you trade your Gold for our Silver??

I think you are still in great hands with the overall team, and goaltending may not be your strength, but I wouldnt call it that much of a weakness when you can have bounce back years from Ward, MAF, Price, etc....

maybe the Kings can finally move Bernier to say the Hawks at the draft and he becomes a #1 young gun...ya never know
I think Canadians look at our Offense and think, "Wow, a once in a lifetime group. Simply off the charts."

We look at our Defence and think, "Nice, no one can touch these guys."

Then we look at our goalies and think "This is a group that could RUIN EVERYTHING."

Then we look at your goalie group and think, "That is a trio that could steal a game and beat us a third of the time" and that scares us...

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
  #15
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,623
vCash: 141
Thomas is a great goalie but I felt like he was already losing his Team USA spot this year. Taking a year off pretty much seals it.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:40 PM
  #16
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I think Canadians look at our Offense and think, "Wow, a once in a lifetime group. Simply off the charts."

We look at our Defence and think, "Nice, no one can touch these guys."

Then we look at our goalies and think "This is a group that could RUIN EVERYTHING."

Then we look at your goalie group and think, "That is a trio that could steal a game and beat us a third of the time" and that scares us...
Absolutely. Well said. In an one game showdown, Hasek proved in 1998, Richter proved in the 1996 World Cup, that a goalie could definetly steal games. Hopefully Luongo gets his act together by 2014. If not him, hopefully Mike Smith proves it next year. I am not sold on Price, Ward, Fleury or others being that guy. Maybe you also look at Brodeur, but he will be too old by then. Luongo was at times shaky in 2010 Olympics, allowing too many big fat rebounds, and at times looked he was fighting the puck. He was good enough to win gold. If Crosby had not scored in Overtime, and the final game had gone to a shootout, the Americans would have won gold. Luckily Crosby saved the day.


Last edited by Mehar: 06-07-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
  #17
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
If Crosby had not scored in Overtime, and the final game had gone to a shootout, the Americans would have won gold.
Yikes! You know, I never thought about that and you are probably right. Scary.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:53 PM
  #18
PaulieVegas
Registered User
 
PaulieVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I think Canadians look at our Offense and think, "Wow, a once in a lifetime group. Simply off the charts."

We look at our Defence and think, "Nice, no one can touch these guys."

Then we look at our goalies and think "This is a group that could RUIN EVERYTHING."

Then we look at your goalie group and think, "That is a trio that could steal a game and beat us a third of the time" and that scares us...
The only problem with having so many good goalies is we can only play one of them.

Canada's goaltending is still good enough to win with what they'll have in front of him. I don't know who'd back him up right now but Carey Price as a #1 isn't half bad. Just hope he doesn't get hurt.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
  #19
PaulieVegas
Registered User
 
PaulieVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Who needs Tim Thomas when you have Jonathan Quick, Jimmy Howard and Ryan Miller...?
Canada.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:05 PM
  #20
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Canada.
Sad but true.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:09 AM
  #21
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Sad but true.
But with the solid and consistent play of Luongo and Fleury, I think Canada has all it needs at goal.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
  #22
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
But with the solid and consistent play of Luongo and Fleury, I think Canada has all it needs at goal.
For a moment there, I actually thought you were serious.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:25 AM
  #23
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I dont think anything legal that he says or does of his own free will should be held against him when it comes to getting selected for team USA in 2014.

The man has proven himself to be a warrior and a person that acts from the heart and not his head. I probably wouldnt have gone to the White House either as I respect the position but not the man holding that position. I dont think it shows that he did something towards this country...just one man in particular who many people cannot stand. I dont like the president, am I less of an American?

If he was laying out in the middle of a street like some of these wall street/UN protesters, then I can see a beef because he really is making a scene that is affecting other Americans...but he has freedom of speech, and he simply used it right or wrong.

As for his current play, he is still our #3 goalie behind Quick and Miller, so if he comes back and plays mid next year or in 2014 at a similar level, USA Hockey would be stupid not to take him. Quick is an emerging star, and Miller is still our golden boy with a lot of miles left in the tank, so whoever is #3 is not going to see action unless a ridiculous injury occurs, and if that happens a proven warrior like Thomas would get my vote if he is still playing at a real high level....though Howard is our likely #3 right now...

What would be cool is if Thomas decides to return to hockey for the 2013 WC....that would give us another top goalie and a chance to medal again if Miller and Quick are burnt out, plus put him back in the spotlight for the US and Sochi.
I found the last president to one of the worst in our history and thought he genuinely was a horrible human being. However, I was ever invited to the White House to honor my accomplishments I would go, respectfully smile and greet the president and not a big deal about it. He only compounded the error by saying it wasn't political and then showing up in DC with a Ron Paul shirt on. It was politics pure and simple, which was never what the Bruins trip to the White House was about.

That said I don't think it has much influence on whether Thomas makes the Olympic team or not.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:26 AM
  #24
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
But with the solid and consistent play of Luongo and Fleury, I think Canada has all it needs at goal.
Just hire Kevin Lowe to be your GM again and he'll call Devin Dubnyk and a top draft prospect for that year to the Olympic team.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:02 AM
  #25
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,962
vCash: 591
His team usa career was basically over when he refused to meet the president of the united states of america.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.