HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

SCF Gm#4, 6/6/12: KINGS lose 3-1 to DEVILS, Devils live to fight another day ...

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
SLang

vCash: 500
I've got tix to game 6, and would basically sell one of my kidneys in order to see the Kings win the Stanley Cup in person - but I kinda want that road record, too. Strange.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Copied my post from the main board because my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, lol. I had to record the game and watch it when I got home late last night

Finally got to watch the whole game. Wow. Almost thankful I didn't see that one live. I would have thrown my remote after the breakaways, partial breakaways, and posts. Almost felt like our regular season "WHY ARE THOSE NOT GOING IN" moments

Credit to the Devils. Good game, guys. Everyone had to know you weren't going out quietly.

Oddly, I'd say this was the Kings' best game of the series so far. What was it, 14 min without a shot for the Devils in the second? You have to take advantage of that. Looks like the tables turned last night.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:33 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

That fancy stuff is not a part of the gameplan that is overconfidence and I don't want to see that in the next game. Trying to get through three guys all alone that was just stupid.

Sutter will get ride of that and put their heads back on again for the next game.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Very bummed, but we will win the cup. In the end, that's all that matters! The bounces didn't go our way as we hit so many posts/open nets wide. I think the boys were gripping their sticks a little too much. How many out numbered chances did we get? I know Penner alone had 2-3.

Oh yeah, and I blame Mitchell and Voynov for the 2nd goal.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Capn Brown

Guys,

Look at the bright side. At least all the bandwagoners got scared away for a while. They'll be back, though.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's kind of funny how similar this game was to Game 4 against Vancouver. Game ended by the same score, Kings played one of their best games in both Game 4s but just failed to capitalize on their scoring chances, Schneider and Brodeur were sharp in those games, and in both games the opponents capitalized on their best scoring opportunities (and there weren't many for them). That's the unpredictable nature of hockey.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I saw her during the first intermission. Those things were ridiculous.
She's apparently from Toronto and TSN radio was going to interview her this morning. Yeah, I switched to another station.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:02 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Devils deserved to win this game.

Kings problems:
1. Passing game was off big time / what happened to "short" game
2. Guys tried too hard to make something happen / relax, teamwork
3. Half step behind most of game / mind games - 3 of 4 series following same pattern - win 2 on road, win 1 at home, lose 1 at home (no sweep), win 1 on road to close out series.

Looked like repeat of previous losses to Vancouver and Phoenix.

Ironic fact: Devils three losses to Kings outscored 8-2 (2-1, 2-1, 4-0) / Kings three losses to Vancouver, Phoenix and New Jersey outscored 8-2 (3-1, 2-0, 3-1).

Conclusion: It's never easy.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:03 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie

Almost as impressive as the Kings 10-0 road record is how the Devils get better as a series goes on. 9-1 now in Games 4-7 these playoffs.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:24 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I shouldn't feel as bad as I do about the loss. Can't help it. It's that little nugget of doubt as a Kings fan.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I shouldn't feel as bad as I do about the loss. Can't help it. It's that little nugget of doubt as a Kings fan.
Agreed

The ol' "Lucy pulling away the football" syndrome us Kings fans have had to deal with is a bit scary right now.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie

Almost as impressive as the Kings 10-0 road record is how the Devils get better as a series goes on. 9-1 now in Games 4-7 these playoffs.
Not as impressive as 14-0 in games other than game 4 for the Kings. Sweeping an NHL team is very hard. The Kings are the only team to do it at all this post season. 1 out of 15 playoff series. Devils have never been swept.

Strangely, the Cup has only been won 7 times in game 5. Most are in games 4, 6 or 7.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
niomosy

The Kings certainly have their work cut out for them. They need to calm their nerves a bit. I hope this game 4 loss brings them back down to earth.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

For me, it still comes back to the "kids" not handling the pressure of the home crowd. The veterans, except Mitchell, all had solid games.

Doughty and Nolan were the only "kids" that played their game for 60 minutes. Voynov was the worst, but King had a very rough game. King was tentative and turned the puck over all night.

Kings should be better in game 5, but NJ will not go away easily. They are the first team since Vancouver that I think can come back and win. It took 2 OT wins in game 5 for the Kings to move on, I expect another game that can go either way.

Hopefully the media will slow their roll now. It was getting ridiculous and I'm sure the younger Kings didn't handle it well.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I've got tix to game 6, and would basically sell one of my kidneys in order to see the Kings win the Stanley Cup in person - but I kinda want that road record, too. Strange.
Keep the kidney and let's keep the road record going.

You'll need the kidney for the celebrations.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
That fancy stuff is not a part of the gameplan that is overconfidence and I don't want to see that in the next game. Trying to get through three guys all alone that was just stupid.

Sutter will get ride of that and put their heads back on again for the next game.
Ya know I agree to some degree. A lot of the Kings game right now is arrogance, but in a good way. Like saying to themselves "I can make that pass." I guess arrogance would be a bad description of it. It's more belief.

The Kings D to D passes have been like that almost the whole playoffs...they hold it for what seems like a stupid amount of time, but end up making really excellent outlet passes because of that patience.

I don't so much have a problem with trying to skate thrugh three guys or two defenders on your own. I have a problem with trying stupid passes or bad pinches which I think also comes back to overconfidence.

That being said the Kings have got some great contributions from players based on individual effort probably doing things that some coaches would question.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I think you may be looking into things a bit too much. The Devils scored 2 goals, I don't think they've figured out some secret. The Kings hit two posts when the game was still 0-0, and they missed 3 breakaways. An inch left or right and we'd be planning the parade. They just didn't quite execute good enough to win. It happens, I'm not worried.

We got this.
That was basically the attitude from the Kings locker room last night.

Kopitar said it best, "That wasn't part of the plan but it happens, we'll just regroup and get back at it Saturday."

Old
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I think you may be looking into things a bit too much. The Devils scored 2 goals, I don't think they've figured out some secret. The Kings hit two posts when the game was still 0-0, and they missed 3 breakaways. An inch left or right and we'd be planning the parade. They just didn't quite execute good enough to win. It happens, I'm not worried.

We got this.
I couldn't agree more. The Devils didn't do anything special to win Game 5. IMO the Kings still controlled the middle of the ice and had more outnumbered attacks and better chances overall.

They just need to settle down and get back to business on Saturday.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

We should be excited ...Kings PP has been working lately. Mmm that is something much needed.

This is jinx proof so don't bother going down that lane.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Pucknut50

What I noticed in game 4 was the defense not activating or pinching(TM system). When you watch the game on TV you cannot see the whole ice surface so when the puck went 2/3 of the way to the point I did not see Kings pinching until they got behind 2-1.

I think the Kings need to stop the cliche that the 4th win is the toughest one to get.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Game 4 vid from CBC:

Old
06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
sueroe

It would have been so nice for the win to happen at home last night but tons of other teams have to go back on the road to get the win.

It has been ridiculous how well this team has played in playoffs. How many teams have swept the final series of the playoffs? 1 or 2 in 50 years or so? Not sure on that, I just don't remember it happening.

They are still playing well, and maybe the nerves got to a few of them. Lets just regroup and go for the win Saturday.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

If there is a game 6, at least we won't have to deal with that crush of E3 humanity like we did last night. It made parking atrocious ($40 anywhere near Staples) and the crowds unbearable at LA Live.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
It would have been so nice for the win to happen at home last night but tons of other teams have to go back on the road to get the win.

It has been ridiculous how well this team has played in playoffs. How many teams have swept the final series of the playoffs? 1 or 2 in 50 years or so? Not sure on that, I just don't remember it happening.

They are still playing well, and maybe the nerves got to a few of them. Lets just regroup and go for the win Saturday.
Sweeping the finals used to be a more regular occurrence, but it hasn't happened since 1998.

Only 7 Stanley Cups have been won in game 5 (for a 7 game series).

Old
06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
T308
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post

20 sweeps in the finals since 1938-39. None since 1998.

Closed Thread