HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

NYC seeks to ban large soft drinks

Old
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

vCash: 500
DynamoAO is clearly on of these people who believes anecdotal stories are more reliable that statistical analysis.

Which is pretty much the first example of erroneous thinking by the (largely statistically ignorant) general public I teach my introductory stats classes.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
So you've never eat an dessert or appetizer in your life.

I'm impressed, really.
I really love your failure to understand the higher accuracy allowed by a data-set of many over a data-set of one. It's funny. The fact is, not everyone "eats until they're full", and the science shows that the majority doesn't. Some people eat after they're full, and some eat simply what they've (had) made for themselves regardless of how hungry or full they are afterwards.

I also love your attempt at trying to say that, if you ever eat an appetizer or dessert, it suddenly means you always eat until you're full. I've had appetizers before, but I can't even name you the last time I did. I have dessert sometimes, too (much more often than an appetizer), but most people's dessert sizes are miniscule compared to their main course.

Clearly, the problem isn't that science is ********, it's that most people have no idea what science is in the first place.

ETA: Also, if you seriously think you know more than scientists, please feel free to release a study refuting the results in these studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17597516
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16567150

There's some pretty good money in it for you if you can. Good luck!

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 06-07-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
So you've never eat an dessert or appetizer in your life.

I'm impressed, really.
So if someone that isn't fat eats appetizers, desserts or second helpings that is proof that those activities don't cause people to gain weight?

That isn't just a silly statement it is ridiculously idiotic. Do you understand anything at all, at even a rudimentary level about human metabolism. Do you know that it can also change as people age? Some people have conditions which make it difficult to almost impossible to do very much exercise?

What a buffoon.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I really love your failure to understand the higher accuracy allowed by a data-set of many over a data-set of one. It's funny. The fact is, not everyone "eats until they're full", and the science shows that the majority doesn't. Some people eat after they're full, and some eat simply what they've (had) made for themselves regardless of how hungry or full they are afterwards.

I also love your attempt at trying to say that, if you ever eat an appetizer or dessert, it suddenly means you always eat until you're full. I've had appetizers before, but I can't even name you the last time I did. I have dessert sometimes, too (much more often than an appetizer), but most people's dessert sizes are miniscule compared to their main course.

Clearly, the problem isn't that science is ********, it's that most people have no idea what science is in the first place.
When I was younger I would clean up everything on my plate, and have appetizers and deserts, hell even a cheese plate. Now when we go out for dinner more often than not we get doggy bags. And that is often just for one main each with no starter or dessert. I walk or swim for 45 minutes every day, eat much more fruit and vegetables than I used to and I rarely eat any dessert at all yet I still carry about 10 more pounds than I should (cholesterol is OK though). I was as fit as a fiddle and slim and trim and could eat and drink like a bacchanal until I got into my 50's. Now it is a struggle to keep my weight under control.

But if you are overweight of course it is because you eat all day, non-stop.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
What happened to personal responsibility? No one yet has given a valid reason why the government should even interfere. The Type 2 diabetes problem is an issue, but is easily fixed by education. Besides, it's not only soda that is responsible for Type 2 diabetes. Soda is simply a scapegoat; an easy "answer" which doesn't really address the problem. Type 2 Diabetes rates and obesity rates will not be affected by a soda ban, since people are still going to go out to the Olive Garden and get huge servings.
The sugar water companies work on getting kids hooked on soda at a young age and then when they are hooked they take that habit into adulthood. The actual manufacturing cost of soda is very low so a place like 7-11 can sell a 32 ounce Big Gulp for a buck and get kids hooked on it, in partnership with Coke and Pepsi.

Ir's kind of funny that so many Americans are so wary of the intrusion of government while turning a blind eye to corporate America taking advantage of young people with cheap sodas and cheap fast food.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Yoshimitsu

Portion control has been known to have a positive effect on weight loss for a long time. Just go to Google scholar and type in something like "portion control weight loss" and there will be dozens of studies supporting its efficacy.

Having said that, I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of mandatory portion control.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I have dessert sometimes, too (much more often than an appetizer), but most people's dessert sizes are miniscule compared to their main course.
But...the science says that your portion on your plate should have a mental affect on your physical feeling.

Why would you get a dessert if your mind says your body is full? Now that doesn't make much sense according to the science, now does it?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
But...the science says that your portion on your plate should have a mental affect on your physical feeling.

Why would you get a dessert if your mind says your body is full? Now that doesn't make much sense according to the science, now does it?
See, now you're just going out of your way to be an idiot.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:05 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
See, now you're just going out of your way to be an idiot.
Can't refute my claim, thus you resort to name calling.

Continue doing the new breed of HFBoard poster proud, son.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I now have to buy 2 16 oz sodas instead of one 32 oz soda?! Oh god nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bloomberg and all of the scientists are ****ing morons. "Science says, you will eat less if the portion sizes are smaller and you will eat more if they are bigger because there is more food available for you to see." I don't know about science, but I know, I eat until I feel full. Regardless of if it's 3 slices of bread full of fiber or an entire large pizza, I eat until I'm full.

Oh yea...and I'm not fat.

Who'da thunk it.
Japan 'Diet Glasses': How They Trick You to Eat Less

Old
06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Ir's kind of funny that so many Americans are so wary of the intrusion of government while turning a blind eye to corporate America taking advantage of young people with cheap sodas and cheap fast food.
Who is making the kids/people consume this food? You can't fault the big bad corps for toying with the temptations and lack of self control of the masses.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Who is making the kids/people consume this food? You can't fault the big bad corps for toying with the temptations and lack of self control of the masses.
Sure I can but they have so many apologists in the US it doesn't really make any difference.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Who the **** cares about the science, I've eaten at a buffet before and I know the ******* truth!

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Who the **** cares about the science, I've eaten at a buffet before and I know the ******* truth!
But you had only one plate.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
But you had only one plate.
And it was a salad.

ARGUMENT DESTROYED.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
And it was a salad.

ARGUMENT DESTROYED.

You are a very strong minded individual when it comes to your caloric consumption.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

It's like the concept of variance doesn't even exist to some people.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It's like the concept of variance doesn't even exist to some people.
Wrong, everyone has to eat as much as they possibly can. That's the only way that buffets apparently work.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Wrong, everyone has to eat as much as they possibly can. That's the only way that buffets apparently work.
I actually sift through my brain with every spoonful I bring to my mouth.

It's kind of a math equation.

7 fork fulls of chicken.

Plus, 8 and a half french fries.

3 swallows of lemonade.

Okay, okay, I'm about 50% hungry left now!

But, on my plate there is just not enough food to fill the other 50%!

I guess I need a glass of mental power!

Old
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
You are a very strong minded individual when it comes to your caloric consumption.
I never have over a couple plates at a buffet, and it's because buffet food is terrible.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Might I also mention that Golden Corral is aptly named, because about 2/3 of the people I see in those places could probably pass off as livestock.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I never have over a couple plates at a buffet, and it's because buffet food is terrible.

Me too, I'm usually full.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Might I also mention that Golden Corral is aptly named, because about 2/3 of the people I see in those places could probably pass off as livestock.
Our Golden Corral lost it's license to be named Golden Corral because of a fork load full of health violations. It became a different entity. That entity closed down for a few months because of even more health violations.

It re-opens tonight! Under new management as a Golden Corral!

Can't make this **** up.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
This thread reminds me of my ******** little cousin who debated that AQ was a better poker hand than AK because he won with AQ against AK.

Then when I clearly mention to him that he got lucky , he started spewing deeper none-sense like AQ could make a straight on a 8-9-10-J board and AK couldn't.This was a spectacular conversation.

If I didn't know him I would have highly suspected trolling , but it wasn't.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
No, actually, it doesn't. It simply says that studies have shown that, given larger and smaller portion meals to the same people, the former results in weight gain while the latter results in weight loss. Those are the facts. The how and why is a completely different question and more or less irrelevant to the question at hand.

Quote:
Why would you get a dessert if your mind says your body is full?
Same reason you'd have sex when your tired. There's a certain amount of pleasure gained by eating, and, being important for survival, there's a certain amount of benefit in overeating in the right circumstances.

Quote:
Now that doesn't make much sense according to the science, now does it?
According to what science?

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote