HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jagr signs with Dallas; 1 year, $4.5M (post #253)

Old
06-07-2012, 09:12 AM
flyerfanish

vCash: 500
I'd like them to sign him. As others have said, if he doesn't require firstline minutes and signs for less. Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I hope it's 3 years $2 million a year because I love 35+ contracts and obnoxious Czech fans.
Have you written a book about that childhood of yours? I'd be interested in reading all about it.

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
mirimon

While I think we could use a 4th line center (say Gaustad or McClement), I wouldn't have too much problem if they brought back Jagr for another year instead. At least not if it's on a similar or even reduced salary. Sure, his play trailed off towards the end of the season, but the kids can probably still learn a thing or two just by hanging around in the same locker room as Jagr.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Flyerfan4life

sorry as much as i loved seeing early season Jagr last year im not at all interested in him returning this season..

the team pretty much learned everything they can expect to get out of him over the course of the year and he's clearly running out of gas. and that groin thing is a problem just waiting to flair up yet again..

sorry boss time to set the old dog free.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:16 AM
tuckrr

now we REALLY need to dump carle...and of course get Suter

this doesn't change much (if he signs for like 2.5) but we Definitely need another Dman NOT CARLE.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:24 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

SIGN

JAGR

FOREVER

8.9 mil A YEAR

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Seriously though, if he gets around 1 million less than last season and him getting first line minutes is not one of the conditions I'm all for it.

It WILL be one of the conditions, book it. This is Jaromir Jagr we're talking about. Every time he got pulled off of Claude's line this season, he wasn't happy about it.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
In the last 23 regular season games Jagr had 3 goals.

In the Flyers 11 playoff games Jagr had ONE goal.

Thats 4 goals in the last 34 games hes played for the flyers.

Oh yeah, and I think he turns 64 next season.

He looked like he had nothing left, time to move on. Huge mistake re-signing him.
In 2009-10 for the last half the season and start of the playoffs Hartnell +60 games scoring only 6 goals. Just saying these things happen. Also Jagr was injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Maybe he's just pulling a Jagr, indicating he will sign with the Flyers and then unexpectedly sign with the Penguins.

Seriously though, if he gets around 1 million less than last season and him getting first line minutes is not one of the conditions I'm all for it.
I don't remember where I read it but a few weeks ago I read an article where Jagr said he's fine playing as much as he did near the end of the season (about 16 min, mostly on G's line and 2nd unit PP) but he wouldn't want to play less than that because you can't stay in the flow of the game.

Last edited by whatthef: 06-07-2012 at 10:51 AM.
whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:19 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
I hope it's 3 years $2 million a year because I love 35+ contracts and obnoxious Czech fans.
LOL! From your lips to Homer's ears.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
JVR-Schenn-Briere
Simmonds-Couturier-Read

I dont know if we really need Jagr in our top 9. This means pushing someone down to the 4th line, either Couturier or Read, who both dont deserve it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
JVR-Schenn-Briere
Simmonds-Couturier-Read

I dont know if we really need Jagr in our top 9. This means pushing someone down to the 4th line, either Couturier or Read, who both dont deserve it.
We don't. Jagr is just a luxury. Defense and re-signing Jake should be priorities over Jagr.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Love Jagr, but no thanks

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
We don't. Jagr is just a luxury. Defense and re-signing Jake should be priorities over Jagr.
^^^this^^^ x 1000

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

We do get a season long injury in the forwards every year though.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Also, while we all expect guys like Couturier, Schenn and maybe Read and Wellwood as well to get better, there is that sophomore slump cliché. Having the luxury to have two of them play on the fourth line during a slump might not be a terrible thing should it happen.

I'd still prefer a legitimate fourth line center though, but I won't be terribly upset if they re-sign Jagr.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
tuckrr

Jagr is certainly worth it for the PP alone (+locker room mentor and much more)
but we need another defender who is elite. We are without Pronger, and Kimmo can't be our #1 next year.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Not a reason to sign a 40 year old that was constantly battling nagging injuries. Odds are that injury will be Jagr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Also, while we all expect guys like Couturier, Schenn and maybe Read and Wellwood as well to get better, there is that sophomore slump cliché. Having the luxury to have two of them play on the fourth line during a slump might not be a terrible thing should it happen.

I'd still prefer a legitimate fourth line center though, but I won't be terribly upset if they re-sign Jagr.
They are more likely to experience a sophomore slump if they are misused on the fourth line. With Jagr you have to worry about a 40 year old regressing further with the inability to stay healthy.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
mirimon

Quote:
They are more likely to experience a sophomore slump if they are misused on the fourth line. With Jagr you have to worry about a 40 year old regressing further with the inability to stay healthy.
I don't know about that. I would love it if Couturier can play as a top nine player for an entire season, if Read doesn't miss a beat and if Wellwood really establishes himself as a regular. I don't know if it's any more likely than Jagr breaking down over the course of the season however. As I said, I'd prefer if the Flyers went another route, but if they end up re-signing Jagr I can live with that. It wouldn't be the worst off season decision this organization has done in the last four years at least...

Old
06-07-2012, 02:56 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:

Signing a (defensively responsible) grinder type instead who could play the third line in that scenario isn't the worst thing in the world. Not every player in the top 9 has to have top 6 ability.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Signing a (defensively responsible) grinder type instead who could play the third line in that scenario isn't the worst thing in the world. Not every player in the top 9 has to have top 6 ability.
I agree. I'm hoping we sign either Gaustad or McClement. A fourth line of Wellwood-Gaustad/McClement-Talbot would be terrific, and they are all (more or less) able to step up into the top nine should there be an injury, or if it turns out that Read was a one-year-wonder, or if Couturier isn't quite ready to take on a bigger role after all, or if...

I'm just saying that re-signing Jagr (to a reasonable cap hit) wouldn't be a terrible decision. Not the one I would go with, but not that crazy and outlandish.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree. I'm hoping we sign either Gaustad or McClement. A fourth line of Wellwood-Gaustad/McClement-Talbot would be terrific, and they are all (more or less) able to step up into the top nine should there be an injury, or if it turns out that Read was a one-year-wonder, or if Couturier isn't quite ready to take on a bigger role after all, or if...

I'm just saying that re-signing Jagr (to a reasonable cap hit) wouldn't be a terrible decision. Not the one I would go with, but not that crazy and outlandish.
This is how I feel as well. While re-signing Jagr isn't a bad move, I think there a better move would be a Gaustad/McClement type player who can play on the 4th line and not look out of place on the 2nd or 3rd lines short term.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:42 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I am with you.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
no worries we all love fat americans in czech

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
you like JVR on first line and you talking about Jagr being injured?
what about your JVR? didnt he just sit over half of season due to injuries? .. oh god

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
JVR-Schenn-Briere
Simmonds-Couturier-Read

I agree. He was worn down at the end and I just do not see him doing any better this up coming season. It will not be the end of the world if we sign him, but I would rather not.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
you like JVR on first line and you talking about Jagr being injured?
what about your JVR? didnt he just sit over half of season due to injuries? .. oh god
You really fail to distinguish between a 23 year old and a 41 year old? JVR had bad luck. Jagr is at the age when skills erode and the body breaks down.