HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

SBD Interview with Pegula

Old
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
SBD Interview with Pegula

Pegula talks about his involvement in the personnel process, his lower profile, and the effect injuries had on the Sabres this past season:

Quote:
After Pegula purchased the team in February 2011, he boldly stated, "Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup."

But the former oil-and-gas executive acknowledged that sports team ownership has been an adjustment. "I definitely made a decision to step back a bit this past season," Pegula said. "At the same time, you can't be an absentee owner. So it's been about finding a balance."
On his involvement in the personnel process:

Quote:
A lifelong hockey fan, Pegula said he talks to team GM Darcy Regier at least three times a day to discuss player personnel, and that he wants to model the Sabres in part after the Red Wings, Patriots and Steelers. "Each of those teams are very steady, very consistent, don't overreact and are absolutely committed to excellence," Pegula said.
It'll be interesting to see how people will interpret that comment, especially given many posters' disdain for LQ's involvement in the player personnel side of things.

This next one will get a rise out of some:

Quote:
On the Sabres' turbulent '11-12 season, which saw injuries, particularly to star G Ryan Miller and D Tyler Myers, leave the team out of the playoffs: "There's an adage that you should win despite injuries. But guess what? You don't. Health is an absolutely critical factor in determining your success."
Quote:
On spending on players: "I don't make decisions based foremost on money. The first thing, the main thing we look at, is what the player's contributions are, and what his gifts are. I've never made a decision about money. It may seem hard to believe, but it's true."
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/S...06/Pegula.aspx

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
He maintains perpetually that the money thing isn't related. "I'd go drill a well".

Good read. Injuries happen to every team, though, and great teams with solid resiliency can battle through it. I don't know if we fit that criteria.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

"talks to team GM Darcy Regier at least three times a day to discuss player personnel,'

3 times a day to Darcy throughout the whole year. DOUBT IT!

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He maintains perpetually that the money thing isn't related. "I'd go drill a well".

Good read. Injuries happen to every team, though, and great teams with solid resiliency can battle through it. I don't know if we fit that criteria.
, yet... I like what the young guns on this team have, 2 more solid drafts like the last few years and I think they have the basis for a really strong group of young talent.

To me, great drafting leads to long term success.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
"talks to team GM Darcy Regier at least three times a day to discuss player personnel,'

I think he meant he talks to Darcy a lot. I'm sure a few others would read it literally too and presume that he meant it word for word.

To Zip: I think his whole quote regarding injuries should be bolded, not just the last part of it. People will read the last part and figure hes blaming the poor Sabres season on the amount of injuries.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

Yea, if he doesn't talk to Regier 21 times a week ... He's a filthy, no good, rotten liar!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
tsujimoto74

idk if this has been posted here before, so my apologies if it has but: http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sabre...a-team-doctor/

The TL;DR of it is: when the Sabres best 18 skaters were healthy, they were on pace to be 5th in the east. The "best" teams in the east this year were mostly comprised of the healthiest. No one likes to accept injuries as an excuse for losing, but to pretend that they don't affect the team's play...? Especially in a season where 1-2 more wins would've made the difference.

I'd imagine R & R's tenure here likely rests on this team, at the very least, being a playoff team next year, so I do think roster changes are coming. But we also had a few players who had uncharacteristically bad performances, along with several key guys missing a good chunk of time with injury. I like Pegula's patience here.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
idk if this has been posted here before, so my apologies if it has but: http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sabre...a-team-doctor/

The TL;DR of it is: when the Sabres best 18 skaters were healthy, they were on pace to be 5th in the east. The "best" teams in the east this year were mostly comprised of the healthiest. No one likes to accept injuries as an excuse for losing, but to pretend that they don't affect the team's play...? Especially in a season where 1-2 more wins would've made the difference.

I'd imagine R & R's tenure here likely rests on this team, at the very least, being a playoff team next year, so I do think roster changes are coming. But we also had a few players who had uncharacteristically bad performances, along with several key guys missing a good chunk of time with injury. I like Pegula's patience here.
Sorry, but if Pittsburgh can put together a team good enough to win without Crosby, the Sabres have 0 excuses.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Blaming injuries is weak. Our top 3 forwards were healthy all season so there was no excuse for our offense to finish as low as we did.

What would Pegula talk to Regier about if they converse 3x a day? Especially since we didn't make any personnel moves until the deadline?

This is a make or break season for the Pegula regime. This is the 2nd full season he is owner,3rd overall. Regier will now have a 2nd off season with no hinderances holding him back so I am eager to see what he does.... Bringing in Parise, Semin or Suter would be a great boon to this team and surely bring us back to the post season. I know there are going to be a certain contingent of fans here who wouldn't want a "lazy" Russian like Semin but we could use a PPG caliber top 6 winger in the worst way.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It'll be interesting to see how people will interpret that comment, especially given many posters' disdain for LQ's involvement in the player personnel side of things.
IMHO the difference is Pegs involvement is out of desire to make the team a winner, where as LQ interveined mainly to keep it profitable.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:29 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Blaming injuries is weak. Our top 3 forwards were healthy all season so there was no excuse for our offense to finish as low as we did.

What would Pegula talk to Regier about if they converse 3x a day? Especially since we didn't make any personnel moves until the deadline?

This is a make or break season for the Pegula regime. This is the 2nd full season he is owner,3rd overall. Regier will now have a 2nd off season with no hinderances holding him back so I am eager to see what he does.... Bringing in Parise, Semin or Suter would be a great boon to this team and surely bring us back to the post season. I know there are going to be a certain contingent of fans here who wouldn't want a "lazy" Russian like Semin but we could use a PPG caliber top 6 winger in the worst way.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Sorry, but if Pittsburgh can put together a team good enough to win without Crosby, the Sabres have 0 excuses.
Pittsburgh also has Malkin. Who was healthy for pretty much the whole year. When he missed 6 games, they lost 6 games. Injuries make a difference.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Yea, if he doesn't talk to Regier 21 times a week ... He's a filthy, no good, rotten liar!

You know I wasn't being serious right...I hope so...!

Old
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:

Quote:
I'm too lazy to run the numbers again, but earlier this season when I compared "man games lost to injury" with points in the standings, there was at best a very weak correlation between the two.

Man games lost to injury isn't a perfect stat, since it doesn't factor in the value of the injured player. On the other hand, it's management's job to build a team that can stay healthy. Some guys just aren't durable - Connolly was one of those guys. Hecht is getting there. It's a big risk to expect those guys to play 65, 70+ games per season.

We've also had our fair share of what seem to be just random, completely unpredictable injuries, and there's not much you can do about those. Injuries are a factor, undeniably - but they can also expose where a team lacks depth, and we still have some pretty big holes in the lineup.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Any other amazing contributions you want to make or you just want to post another stupid picture

When I say make or break, I mean this season there is no excuses , we need to win a playoff series, if not two. If we don't , then we need to overhaul management/ coaching. This will be the 2nd off-season for Regier where he has no budget restrictions and there is no more grace period for Pegula, the honeymoon is over. Btw, this is year 2 of Pegulas self imposed "3 year plan" so my view on a make or break year isn't far-fetched at all, but I know how touchy you are when it comes to Lindy Ruff, so you probably think Pegula gets 15 years before it's a make or break season.

I mean did Pegula ever clarify the 3 year plan? Was that for winning the cup or is it just for making the postseason

Sabres = won a playoff series only twice in the past 10 seasons. I'm sick of waiting.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Except they've won absolutely nothing without Crosby. This fairy tale about great teams overcoming injuries is just that. They didn't win the Cup without Crosby. Or is just getting into the playoffs now the mark of a great team?

Fans hate to admit that injuries matter because they are generally an unexpected and uncontrollable event. Fans want to pin blame on someone and they don't want that taken from them by something that's really no one's fault.

The irony with Pittsburgh and injuries is it took one to help them win the Cup. For all the talk of the coaching change that year and the additions at the deadline. The biggest factor in the Finals that year was Datsyuk being out injured for the first 4 games with a foot injury. Then returning and trying to play at a fraction of what he is capable of in the last 3. That was enough in a 7 game series to swing the tide in the Pens favor.

Injuries, whether to their own players or to their opponents, can play role in a teams success. Sometimes in a huge way. The Bruins winning the Cup last year with the Nucks defense ravaged by injuries and suspensions and Kesler playing at a fraction of what he could being another example. The Bruins also had a healthy Bergeron and Krecji during their run to the Cup. That wasn't the case the year before the Cup run or this past season and the results aren't a coincidence. Those are key guys they rely on heavily to win. A more painful example of the impact of injuries would be our run of bad injury luck in the Eastern Conference Finals in 2006.

Winning a Cup takes a well built team and some luck (part of the luck involves injuries).

Last edited by joshjull: 06-07-2012 at 02:08 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:12 PM
hockey18

INjuries is an excuse teams that don't make the playoffs use. Plenty of teams had lots of injuries and played well.

The reality is, the guys didn't play for Lindy and Miller is the difference in the team. If he isn't playing well, neither are the sabres.

Its time to move on from the present regime and there favorites and let the young guys lead the team. The old ways aren't working.

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I'm too lazy to run the numbers again, but earlier this season when I compared "man games lost to injury" with points in the standings, there was at best a very weak correlation between the two.

Man games lost to injury isn't a perfect stat, since it doesn't factor in the value of the injured player. On the other hand, it's management's job to build a team that can stay healthy. Some guys just aren't durable - Connolly was one of those guys. Hecht is getting there. It's a big risk to expect those guys to play 65, 70+ games per season.

We've also had our fair share of what seem to be just random, completely unpredictable injuries, and there's not much you can do about those. Injuries are a factor, undeniably - but they can also expose where a team lacks depth, and we still have some pretty big holes in the lineup.
Yep and it also doesn't tell you if more than one top player was out at the same time (injury clusters if you will). Case in point being the Sabres this past year and the injuries that actually did them in.

The Sabres were 10-5 prior to Miller getting hurt against the Bruins on 11/12. They were 12-8 in the 20 games prior to Myers getting injured on 11/19. So up to this point of the season we were still in good shape.

But in the next 5 games without Miller or Myers we went 1-3-1. Then puttered along after Miller's return going 4-5-2 in the next 11 games but with Myers still out.

At this point we are 17-16-3. On the outside looking in but still within realistic striking distance. Then an injury bug hit our defense that buried us. On 12/28 Sekera was injured, then Ehrhoff on 12/30 and Regehr on 1/14. Myers was still out injured when the injuries to Sekera and Ehrhoff happened.

For 12 games starting with the game on 12/30 and ending with the game on 1/21 we played without at least 2 and occassionally 3 of our top 4 dmen (Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera and Regehr). We went 2-8-2 in this span and were rightfully left for dead at this point with a 20-24-5 record. If you include the game Sekera was injured in (since he played less than 8mins) we were 2-9-2 in 13gms.

Not surpringly when our defense was whole again is when we started our run for a playoff spot.

What I take from this is we have a pretty good defense that was the key to any success we had this past season. Batter that group with injuries and we're in trouble. Its not very realistic to have enough defensive talent on hand to overcome loses like we had during that stretch or 12/13 games. But it is realistic to build up a better forward group that can step up and mitigate the impact of losing those guys. Mitigate it enough that we don't go off the rails again like we did this past year in those 12/13 games.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Any other amazing contributions you want to make or you just want to post another stupid picture

When I say make or break, I mean this season there is no excuses , we need to win a playoff series, if not two. If we don't , then we need to overhaul management/ coaching. This will be the 2nd off-season for Regier where he has no budget restrictions and there is no more grace period for Pegula, the honeymoon is over. Btw, this is year 2 of Pegulas self imposed "3 year plan" so my view on a make or break year isn't far-fetched at all, but I know how touchy you are when it comes to Lindy Ruff, so you probably think Pegula gets 15 years before it's a make or break season.

I mean did Pegula ever clarify the 3 year plan? Was that for winning the cup or is it just for making the postseason

Sabres = won a playoff series only twice in the past 10 seasons. I'm sick of waiting.
Reality: you're at ten years of waiting. Pegula's just a little over one.

Good comparison: Bills fans are sick of waiting too. Buddy Nix never cared about making moves in his first two years in a "make or break" fashion. He just rebuilt the team. This season will tell, but it's sorta paying off.

Pegula's going to do a lot of the same, regardless of his 3 year comment.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
INjuries is an excuse teams that don't make the playoffs use. Plenty of teams had lots of injuries and played well.

The reality is, the guys didn't play for Lindy and Miller is the difference in the team. If he isn't playing well, neither are the sabres.

Its time to move on from the present regime and there favorites and let the young guys lead the team. The old ways aren't working.
Plenty of teams?

Who would that be? And what level of success did they achieve?

Old
06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

LA Kings made a coaching change mid season that bolted them to 1 game out of the Stanley. Ruff needs to go, injuries happen for every team throughout the year. They should NOT be an excuse as to why this team was so bad.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:03 PM
tsujimoto74

The Sabres 30-12-6 record with 2 or fewer players missing due to injury would beg to differ with everyone who says injuries weren't the difference.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
hockey18

YOu can use the flyers and penquins for starters. Sabres didn't play that well when they had everyone. They quit on the season . the young players came along and carried them along with a healthy miller

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Sabres 30-12-6 record with 2 or fewer players missing due to injury would beg to differ with everyone who says injuries weren't the difference.
Nearly every good team near the salary cap has that record with few injuries...Injuries are going to happen next year as well...We going to blame them every year? No...No other GMS do that. Simply for the reason that every team has injuries throughout the year. The teams that make excuses don't make the playoffs, the teams that persevere win...simply as that. It starts with the coach making necessary adjustments to compliment the players that are healthy enough to play.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
joshjull

Quote:
LA Kings made a coaching change mid season that bolted them to 1 game out of the Stanley. Ruff needs to go, injuries happen for every team throughout the year. They should NOT be an excuse as to why this team was so bad.
They also traded for Jeff Carter and promoted King and Nolan from their farm team. As Sutter himself said, it FINALLY allowed him to play the system he wanted to play the way he wanted to play it. It gave him size throughout the lineup. EVERY single line had at least one huge player if not two. Lets not pretend he waived a magic wand and turned the struggling Kings roster he had when he first took over into the team we see now. That group was playing at the same level prior to Sutter taking over. It wasn't until those players took over that things started clicking for Sutter and the Kings.

Sutter also never dealt with any major injuries to his top players. One guy was injured (Gagne) and he was replaced at the deadline with Carter. So comapring our situations is ridiculous. The Kings were flat out underachieving. They had all their key players in the lineup all year long. So injuries were a complete non-factor in their struggles before Sutter was brought on.

Sutter also has pieces to work with that we don't, particularly up front. Namely having Kopitar and Richards as his top two centers. We have nothing remotely equivilant. Not to mention the huge roster he has that is perfectly suited to play the way he likes to play. That would be straight ahead, aggressive and simple forechecking. It relies on size and strength to overwhelm the opposing defense. Not something our forward core would be able to do.

It drives me nut we posters make such simplistic statements as the Kings changed their coach and look where they are now. The situations aren't remotely comparable. We had a ton on injuries they did not. They had a great set of centers we did not. Its fine if you want to fire Lindy but its ridiculous to compare our situation to LA's and think firing Ruff will yield the same results. No coach wins without having the players. Thats regardless if he doesn't have them due to injuries or they just aren't on the roster.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.