HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"With the 20th pick, the Philadelphia Flyers selects..."

Old
06-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Giroux4MVP
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'd be surprised if he went before 20. If he does that means someone is dropping to us which is nice (like a Finn or Maata or Lindholm etc). Actually that would be great if he did.

But yea, Thrower's stalk is taking a hit abit with some scouts and now is ranked mid 2nd. Will be a bit of a reach at this point taking him with 20. EDIT: Looked at more rankings. Some do have him in the first, so I guess it wouldnt be that much of a reach. Still though, small players who hit hard on defense is hard to translate into the nhl.

Luckily people are finally realizing Tim Wilson has nothing really to offer than hitting and his stock is dropping fast. Latest on hockey prospect has him in the 3rd round.

EDIT: Doesnt mean some people dont like Wilson. There is still contingent on hf who love him, but because they love players that hit hard.

I like Wilson because he has upside in his own zone and could develop into a solid NHL'er who could give you 20 goals too. I don't think he's a superstar, but I think he ends up a solid NHLer. Is that worth a top 20 pick? Depends on whether you think you can develop a guy with a ton of talent but questions into a superstar, or whether you want to take the guy who will play in the NHL.

Thrower I think compares a ton to Letang and gives us a right handed shot from the point who also plays well in the defensive zone. Could his size hurt him, yes, but the "new NHL" gives those smaller guys a better chance. I think with his skating ability and 2-way play will help him in make it in the NHL.

Giroux4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I dont think you should take 4th line maybe 3rd line players in the 1st round. The Lucic thing is used every season, and so far doesn't ever happen. You want a safe player who can hit and play on the 4th line, maybe 3rd, I think you should wait for the 3rd round at best. In the first round, you are hopefully taking a forward that has top 6 potential or top 4 potential.

I just think Thrower is a bit of a risk. He doesnt have too much offensive upside (yea he is producing at the junior level but even most scouts agree that they dont think it will translate much. His defensive play really needs some work. Dont know if I take a defender who has some questionable defensive play and offensive play (other than the goals department) might not translate. He has an alright first pass but other than that, can't really say he is outstanding. If you want an offensive dynamo on defense, I think you need to look at Bystrom, Lindholm or even Pouliet.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Maata, Bystrom, Lindholm or Koekkoek are who I want to see in orange and black, the three euros are almost guaranteed to be top 4 NHL d-men, safe picks IMO, and Koekkoek has imense upside.

Not sold on Finn and Skjei, though Skjei is insane physically he could just end up a worse version of Coburn.

Thrower will be a bust IMO, just does not have the tools to be anything more than a #4, but you never know.

Pouliot is Matt Carle most likely.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
tuckrr

I could really dig on selecting Tom Wilson if he fell to us. He's not going dazzle, but he's certainly no goon. Great team player, and would thrive in our system (cycling and forchecking). He's insane on the boards...actually looks like Jagr on the wall, you simply cannot get him off the puck.

He could fit in a lot of spots for us, but especially:
JvR-Couturier-Wilson Line

one day that'd be EPIC.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I could really dig on selecting Tom Wilson if he fell to us. He's not going dazzle, but he's certainly no goon. Great team player, and would thrive in our system (cycling and forchecking). He's insane on the boards...actually looks like Jagr on the wall, you simply cannot get him off the puck.

one day that'd be EPIC.
Any round other than the first (and I'm still "eh" if we trade into the top half of the 2nd) I agree with you.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Any round other than the first (and I'm still "eh" if we trade into the top half of the 2nd) I agree with you.
we REALLY need a frickin' 2nd rounder...

Old
06-07-2012, 03:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post

one day that'd be EPIC.
What do you mean fall? He is ranked lower 2nd round. He had no offensive upside. Shouldnt even be near those two

Old
06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
What do you mean fall? He is ranked lower 2nd round. He had no offensive upside. Shouldnt even be near those two
depends on whos rankings you look at. I could still see a team taking him 15-25 and wouldn't be surprised.

I'd be more excited though if we got Subban @ #20 and Wilson @ #40

(obviously we need a 2nd though!)

Old
06-07-2012, 05:59 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

This was my personal top 60: http://thehockeywriters.com/final-to...or-2012-draft/

Have Skjei at 17th and Kerdiles at 18th. If we are going for a D I'd take Skjei. If we need to fix our RW problem, Frk wouldn't be the player I'd take, but rather Kerdiles. He is almost a spit image of what LeClair was. Big, hard-nosed winger with a fantastic shot and great work ethic. He hasn't gotten enough mention. If we get either of them, I'd be a happy camper. Really hope we can acquire a 2nd before the draft starts.

My prospect profile on Skjei: http://thehockeywriters.com/brady-sk...-the-rankings/

My prospect profile on Kerdiles: http://thehockeywriters.com/nic-kerd...s-to-the-bigs/

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:05 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
... from the Guelph Storm, Matt Finn.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
This was my personal top 60: http://thehockeywriters.com/final-to...or-2012-draft/

Have Skjei at 17th and Kerdiles at 18th. If we are going for a D I'd take Skjei. If we need to fix our RW problem, Frk wouldn't be the player I'd take, but rather Kerdiles. He is almost a spit image of what LeClair was. Big, hard-nosed winger with a fantastic shot and great work ethic. He hasn't gotten enough mention. If we get either of them, I'd be a happy camper. Really hope we can acquire a 2nd before the draft starts.

My prospect profile on Skjei: http://thehockeywriters.com/brady-sk...-the-rankings/

My prospect profile on Kerdiles: http://thehockeywriters.com/nic-kerd...s-to-the-bigs/
Interesting that you have Frk in top 30 but not Hertl. I kinda disagree with that. Most rankings now have Frk either late first or totally out of the 1st all together. Red Line doesnt even have him as one of the top 10 forwards in the draft. I know he has potenial, but he honestly struggled a lot this season. Dont know if I take a chance on a player that failed to transition so far to NA hockey.

Here is McKeen's rankings:

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1370685

Old
06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Interesting that you have Frk in top 30 but not Hertl. I kinda disagree with that. Most rankings now have Frk either late first or totally out of the 1st all together. Red Line doesnt even have him as one of the top 10 forwards in the draft. I know he has potenial, but he honestly struggled a lot this season. Dont know if I take a chance on a player that failed to transition so far to NA hockey.

He still has tremendous potential, but I doubt he would fit with the Flyers. He won't make the NHL next season and I think playing for a powerhouse like Halifax next season will do a great deal in Frk's development. I'd be alright with either Kerdiles/Wilson if we go the RW route.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
He still has tremendous potential, but I doubt he would fit with the Flyers. He won't make the NHL next season and I think playing for a powerhouse like Halifax next season will do a great deal in Frk's development. I'd be alright with either Kerdiles/Wilson if we go the RW route.
I already voiced my opinion on Wilson (which will be the biggest mistake the team could make) but I could live with Kerdiles if he continues to progress. Kerdiles looks like he could have some top 6 potenial while Wilson will be lucky to even see the 3rd line at times. Just dont think you should draft 4th line players in the first.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I've heard the team has big interest in Zharkov.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Totally Radivojevic

I see the Flyers drafting Wilson. I also see him playing on the 4th line as an 18 year old.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
I see the Flyers drafting Wilson. I also see him playing on the 4th line as an 18 year old.
There goes a 4th line shutdown line

Old
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Anyone think the Flyers would move up? When is the last time they moved up to get a guy in the first round on draft day (like not trading Carter last year). Was it Sbisa? I'd like to see them move up if they can get Reinhart. I've never actually seen him play, but from what I read and seeing his size, he sounds like he would be a solid fit on this here team. Other than that I think they should stay put and go after Koeokeokeokeoekoeke, Matti, or Skjei.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:13 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I've heard the team has big interest in Zharkov.
Cannot believe I forgot about him. In order I'd select these RWs:

Kerdiles
Zharkov
Wilson

Zharkov is built like a bull.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Anyone think the Flyers would move up? When is the last time they moved up to get a guy in the first round on draft day (like not trading Carter last year). Was it Sbisa? I'd like to see them move up if they can get Reinhart. I've never actually seen him play, but from what I read and seeing his size, he sounds like he would be a solid fit on this here team. Other than that I think they should stay put and go after Koeokeokeokeoekoeke, Matti, or Skjei.
I like what I heard of Reinhart also. Also look at that name: Griffin Reinhart. It's like something out of medieval Europe. But really, he sounds like he could become a solid top 4 defender.

I guess by Matti you mean Maata? If so agree there also. Koekkoek I have some question about, especially with the bad shoulder injury which I wouldnt be surprised will come back in a few years (usually that serious of injuries always strike back). But if we could trade up and grab either the Dumba (ya not happening), Rielly, Trouba, Ceci, or Reinhart.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:42 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Olli Maatta

SeanCWombBroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I like what I heard of Reinhart also. Also look at that name: Griffin Reinhart. It's like something out of medieval Europe. But really, he sounds like he could become a solid top 4 defender.

I guess by Matti you mean Maata? If so agree there also. Koekkoek I have some question about, especially with the bad shoulder injury which I wouldnt be surprised will come back in a few years (usually that serious of injuries always strike back). But if we could trade up and grab either the Dumba (ya not happening), Rielly, Trouba, Ceci, or Reinhart.
Haha. Yeah. I don't know where I got Matti from. I was actually on TSN's website looking at the rankings when I typed this too.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
I dont think you should take 4th line maybe 3rd line players in the 1st round. The Lucic thing is used every season, and so far doesn't ever happen. You want a safe player who can hit and play on the 4th line, maybe 3rd, I think you should wait for the 3rd round at best. In the first round, you are hopefully taking a forward that has top 6 potential or top 4 potential.

I just think Thrower is a bit of a risk. He doesnt have too much offensive upside (yea he is producing at the junior level but even most scouts agree that they dont think it will translate much. His defensive play really needs some work. Dont know if I take a defender who has some questionable defensive play and offensive play (other than the goals department) might not translate. He has an alright first pass but other than that, can't really say he is outstanding. If you want an offensive dynamo on defense, I think you need to look at Bystrom, Lindholm or even Pouliet.
Why any team could use Thrower - profile:
http://thehockeywriters.com/dalton-t...spect-profile/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:

Another perspective at THW:

The Top 120 rankings:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...-ones-top-120/

Hertl comes in at 20th. Here's his detailed profile with exclusive quotes from some scouts as well as Jiri Fischer:
http://thehockeywriters.com/tomas-he...spect-profile/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I have a feeling the Flyers will move up to draft one of the top dmen.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Another perspective at THW:

The Top 120 rankings:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...-ones-top-120/

Hertl comes in at 20th. Here's his detailed profile with exclusive quotes from some scouts as well as Jiri Fischer:
http://thehockeywriters.com/tomas-he...spect-profile/
Good read on Hertl. Reaffirmed my status as the forward I would take if we were taking a forward. He can play center and wing, and you (we) know Homer loves those kinds of players.

Quote:
Tomáš certainly did not hurt his draft stock in this year’s NHL Draft Combine as he finished tied for 1st in VO2 MAX testing and an impressive 2nd in the hand-eye coordination test.

He exhibits excellent puck protection skills, utilizing his strength and puckhandling. He doubles as a crafty goal-scorer and generous playmaker. He is an offensive catalyst with excellent vision and processes the game at a high level.

Hertl is solid and responsible defensively. Even without elite level speed he is able to effectively forecheck because of his ability to anticipate how the play will unfold.

Skating is cited as as a potential drawback to Hertl’s game. He has an unorthodox skating style, but is solid, agile and well-balanced on his skates. He’ll have to focus on improving his speed.