HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teko74 View Post
Kovalchuk
Well at least there's one, haha.

After listening to the interview twice, my take is that GMDP is saying that he thinks he has a shot at signing Suter and is willing to wait until after July 1st to do it.

If that's the case...wow. Huge leap of faith.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
VFL615*

Interesting talks on Rads/Suter/Poile this morning on Nashville radio.

Points mentioned:

-Calls and local media said they are bored and tired of seeing the Preds play the way they do. "Poile and Trotz precious system"

-Poile has put together teams for years in Washington and Nashville that have never made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. Point made that if his way has not worked or improved after all these years why he doesnt change his ways.

-Another confirmation on an early post where i mentioned that Rads bashed his teamates. Media member soft it up and said in his personal interactions with Rads that it was made clear to him that Rads has a problem with players on this team and thought that they should adjust their game to him not him adjust his game to them.

-Did this team really expect Rads to grasp the Preds ways in 9 games after it took them over 4 months to get players like SK to buy in.

-Team had its run last year and it would not be surprising if the Preds regress back into a shell and spend minimum to the cap (especially if Suter leaves)

-A lot of doubt that this team is going to be anything but a floor cap team unless Suter/Weber sign.

If this new ownership is eager to win like has been portrayed by Poile i would say it is could be very likely that more changes could be instore not only in the lineup.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Let's take a logical look at this for a second. We are fairly sure Suter wants to go to a team in a smaller market that has a chance to win and has a good environment for this family. Let's take a look at those 3 criteria:

Not wanting a big market eliminates NYR, NJD, NYI, LA, TOR, MTL, CHI, and VAN I would argue Detroit, Philly, and Pittsburgh belong here too, depending on whether he means big market or big city.

Chance to win: eliminates, say, the bottom 10 teams from this year. CLB, ANA, MIN, CAR, TBL, COL, WPG, EDM (others are big markets)

I'm not even going to delve into "good for family" becuase that will just start a flame war.

That leaves: St. Louis, Boston, Phoenix, San Jose, Florida, Washington, Ottawa, Calgary, Dallas, Buffalo, and us

Not necessarily a final list, and you can argue, say, that Colorado appeals to him becuase it's a team on the rise and etc., just thinking out loud.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Let's take a logical look at this for a second. We are fairly sure Suter wants to go to a team in a smaller market that has a chance to win and has a good environment for this family. Let's take a look at those 3 criteria:

Not wanting a big market eliminates NYR, NJD, NYI, LA, TOR, MTL, CHI, and VAN I would argue Detroit, Philly, and Pittsburgh belong here too, depending on whether he means big market or big city.

Chance to win: eliminates, say, the bottom 10 teams from this year. CLB, ANA, MIN, CAR, TBL, COL, WPG, EDM (others are big markets)

I'm not even going to delve into "good for family" becuase that will just start a flame war.

That leaves: St. Louis, Boston, Phoenix, San Jose, Florida, Washington, Ottawa, Calgary, Dallas, Buffalo, and us

Not necessarily a final list, and you can argue, say, that Colorado appeals to him becuase it's a team on the rise and etc., just thinking out loud.
You can put Boston and Washington on the big city list. They are right there with the NY teams.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
You can put Boston and Washington on the big city list. They are right there with the NY teams.
They are smaller markets, but the same size cities. I'm not sure if Suter wants to avoid big cities based on population or big markets based on media pressure, etc.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:25 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Tampa would be a great fit for him if he wanted to live down there. Pair him with Hedman.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:44 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
They are smaller markets, but the same size cities. I'm not sure if Suter wants to avoid big cities based on population or big markets based on media pressure, etc.
Boston and Washington are big markets with big media pressure.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Unagi

Quote:

I'm not saying he will go to Anaheim or we will even make a call (incompetent GM!). But I think Anaheim has a good chance to succeed especially with a guy like Suter in the lineup.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:08 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Boston and Washington are big markets with big media pressure.
Definitely, I would put Detroit as more small town than these two but Detroit does have the negative of high scrutiny on a player so if suter wants low profile as far as press goes all three of them would be off his list.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

Points mentioned:

-Calls and local media said they are bored and tired of seeing the Preds play the way they do. "Poile and Trotz precious system"

-Poile has put together teams for years in Washington and Nashville that have never made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. Point made that if his way has not worked or improved after all these years why he doesnt change his ways.

-Another confirmation on an early post where i mentioned that Rads bashed his teamates. Media member soft it up and said in his personal interactions with Rads that it was made clear to him that Rads has a problem with players on this team and thought that they should adjust their game to him not him adjust his game to them.

-Did this team really expect Rads to grasp the Preds ways in 9 games after it took them over 4 months to get players like SK to buy in.

-Team had its run last year and it would not be surprising if the Preds regress back into a shell and spend minimum to the cap (especially if Suter leaves)

-A lot of doubt that this team is going to be anything but a floor cap team unless Suter/Weber sign.

If this new ownership is eager to win like has been portrayed by Poile i would say it is could be very likely that more changes could be instore not only in the lineup.
Just to clarify, these are things that callers and the radio hosts had to say?

Old
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

I think Suter could make a couple of those teams teams under the "chance to win" group a lot better. Could be because I'm a homer but I'm thinking the Avs are one of those teams. Maybe the Ducks, Wild, and Lightning as well.

Also, Avs weren't in the bottom 10 this season. We were the 11th worst team.

Would Suter even consider Canadian teams like the Sens and Flames? If he doesn't want a big market, then I'm guessing all Canadian teams are out.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

Points mentioned:

callers to the radio shows have about as much insight and influence as message board postes, and by and large the local media are pretty clueless.

I will be shocked if we are a cap floor team, unless the floor rises to something over 60 million...

Old
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I will be shocked if we are a cap floor team, unless the floor rises to something over 60 million...
In theory, I agree, but where are we going to spend that money? Especially if we miss on Suter and Parise.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Just to clarify, these are things that callers and the radio hosts had to say?
Man's it's been a long time for me.

Assuming we are referring to 104.5, most of what I heard were the things said by David Boclair. Specifically, I heard him say each of those items except the last two before I had to leave my car (before hearing any callers).

Can't remember the last time the local media took those kind of shots at Poile and Trotz, but he was definitely stirring the pot.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I keeping looking at Suter's criteria (small market, small city, good family atmosphere, ready to compete) and all i can think is "and you're leaving nashville...why?"

Old
06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Man's it's been a long time for me.

Assuming we are referring to 104.5, most of what I heard were the things said by David Boclair. Specifically, I heard him say each of those items except the last two before I had to leave my car (before hearing any callers).

Can't remember the last time the local media took those kind of shots at Poile and Trotz, but he was definitely stirring the pot.
It was nice to hear someone not afraid to speak the truth. But yeah Boclair who writes for the city paper i believe and callers. To the other guy i realize callers and even board posters are not always spot on. It's a forum so you talk about all kinds of different things not just whats gospel.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:23 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
I keeping looking at Suter's criteria (small market, small city, good family atmosphere, ready to compete) and all i can think is "and you're leaving nashville...why?"
Starting to make me wonder if it is something behind the scenes.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If he stays, all sins are forgiven from me.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 06-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
It was nice to hear someone not afraid to speak the truth. But yeah Boclair who writes for the city paper i believe and callers. To the other guy i realize callers and even board posters are not always spot on. It's a forum so you talk about all kinds of different things not just whats gospel.
Characterizing what any columnist or blogger says or writes as "truth" is not accurate. Having written quite a few myself (just not recently), I know. Right Voldy? ;-)

Columnists and bloggers write opinions. Many have more access to the team, staff, etc. but they are still writing opinions. On top of that, they are all human and bring a part of themselves to their opinions (some call it personality, some call it an agenda).

A great example of this is David Shoalts consistent ability to paint any generally positively-received news regarding a southern franchise in a negative light. Larry Brooks ability to consistently side with the players over the League is another great example.

David is an excellent writer (for the City Paper, yes) that I enjoy reading immensely. That said, he is a "glass half full" guy. Tends to paint the worst possible scenarios and generally considers those more likely when it might appear to be a toss up to most others.

That's not to say that Boclair is wrong or didn't bring up great talking points. Just want to be careful saying he's speaking the truth.

Seems weird to be reigning someone in with regards to going after David Poile given the number of times I've lobbed some criticism myself.

lol

Old
06-07-2012, 04:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Characterizing what any columnist or blogger says or writes as "truth" is not accurate. Having written quite a few myself (just not recently), I know. Right Voldy? ;-)

Columnists and bloggers write opinions. Many have more access to the team, staff, etc. but they are still writing opinions. On top of that, they are all human and bring a part of themselves to their opinions (some call it personality, some call it an agenda).

A great example of this is David Shoalts consistent ability to paint any generally positively-received news regarding a southern franchise in a negative light. Larry Brooks ability to consistently side with the players over the League is another great example.

David is an excellent writer (for the City Paper, yes) that I enjoy reading immensely. That said, he is a "glass half full" guy. Tends to paint the worst possible scenarios and generally considers those more likely when it might appear to be a toss up to most others.

That's not to say that Boclair is wrong or didn't bring up great talking points. Just want to be careful saying he's speaking the truth.

Seems weird to be reigning someone in with regards to going after David Poile given the number of times I've lobbed some criticism myself.

lol
I think what he's trying to say is that Nashville media has traditionally been very "kid gloves' in regard to the Predators. The John Glennons, Willy Daunics, and to an extent Josh Coopers have been wary of saying anything negative about the team. It's all reported very objectively, with a mildly positive spin.

Sure, you had idiots like Hope Hines that would occasionally say something negative--but it's hope hines. Similarly, David Climer is a little more educated about hockey, and he'll take shots at the team...but he's still not really in a position to be making real critical judgments.

It's refreshing when Boclair says something that's not pollyanna. The other one who has shown a willingness in terms of radio is Greg Pogue. I'm not getting behind the media bashing the team, but I think you can breed complacency in the community when your media never questions anything you do or the results you produce.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:37 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I think what he's trying to say is that Nashville media has traditionally been very "kid gloves' in regard to the Predators. The John Glennons, Willy Daunics, and to an extent Josh Coopers have been wary of saying anything negative about the team. It's all reported very objectively, with a mildly positive spin.

Sure, you had idiots like Hope Hines that would occasionally say something negative--but it's hope hines. Similarly, David Climer is a little more educated about hockey, and he'll take shots at the team...but he's still not really in a position to be making real critical judgments.

It's refreshing when Boclair says something that's not pollyanna. The other one who has shown a willingness in terms of radio is Greg Pogue. I'm not getting behind the media bashing the team, but I think you can breed complacency in the community when your media never questions anything you do or the results you produce.
Exactly, truth in how THEY feel not what's going to be in the middle of the road wishy washy. I did not mean it like it was gospel. You just get tired of the bs and it is nice to hear someones true feelings. Kinda like my defense of Shane Doan.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:02 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Starting to make me wonder if it is something behind the scenes.
Yep, lots going on behind the curtain. To get a sense, start with where his wife, his agent and fellow star UFA buddy are from (hint: all from the same place), and who they are connected to.

06-07-2012, 05:45 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Yep, lots going on behind the curtain. To get a sense, start with where his wife, his agent and fellow star UFA buddy are from (hint: all from the same place), and who they are connected to.
If Suter wants to go to Minnesota he should have the balls to say that he wants to play close to home. he shouldnt have said the stuff he said about the Preds being competitive if that wasnt what was driving him.

The more I hear, the more I think he waits until july 1, but ends up signing back here... I think he's afraid he will miss out on some monster offer and once he sees that no one else is going to give him something ridiculous then he will stay here and be happy...

I also think the "stay and play with Weber and you two could be remembered as the greatest D pair ever" might eventually appeal to both of them

Old
06-07-2012, 05:46 PM
glenngineer

I think the Parise/Suter friendship thing is blown way out of proportion. They played on team USA but don't hang out in the offseason so the BFF thing that is going around is a joke.

Once again, the fact that Suter is still talking to Poile is promising. I think he hits the market and sees what's out there and then re-ups with us. It's going to be very much like the Kovy situation last summer. He'll entertain offers and see that the grass isn't as green as he thought it would be. It would be great if he would decide before July 1 but from the looks of it, the only ones that are tied directly into his decision aren't part of our future (Rads/AK) and as far as Gill, Bouillion and Gaustad go, big deal, it's not as if we don't re-sign Suter we go sweet, we still have Gill, Bouillion or Hillen for that matter.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I do think when you see signings like jones in colorado for 4x4 it makes you wonder if some idiot would offer suter north of 8 mil for 10 years or some such nonsense.

there may be a few GMs who expect any contract they sign this summer to get cut down just like the last time a CBA was negotiated, or else get grandfathered in so it wont fully go against the cap and so they will overspend...

Closed Thread