HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colorado Re-Signs Matt Hunwick [2 years/$3.2 million]

Old
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Well, gee, there goes my diabolical plan to sign him as our #7D along with his brother.

This seems to be about the going rate for #6-7 defenseman of late. I don't much care for it, but oh well.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Hunwick is more of a back up plain in case those young guys aren't ready. Elliott/Barrie played decent last year but they weren't great.
That's a lot of money to spend on a 7th defenseman, especially for another 2 years. I know in theory that coaches should put out their best players but it doesn't always happen. I'm sure some owners push coaches to play the worse player if they're getting paid significantly more.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

Love this guy and love this signing. The guy was a class act last year, even though he was benched most of the year he didn't complain instead when he got his chance he played his heart out and earned another contract. Hopefully SOB is gone.

BrickAHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Love this guy and love this signing. The guy was a class act last year, even though he was benched most of the year he didn't complain instead when he got his chance he played his heart out and earned another contract. Hopefully SOB is gone.
Someone with Hunwick's talent shouldn't complain about not playing. He knows that he's not good enough to be a regular NHL d-man and is more than happy to collect $1.5m to practice with the team and play when the good players are hurt. I'd be happy filling that role for league minimum.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Screams of a ''we have to hit the floor anyway, what's a 500 K overpay?'' type signing. The 2 year part is odd though.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
Hunwick was decent last year.

In 2010-11, no one was good on the Avalanche.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:14 PM
WreckItRask

Seeing Avs fans talk themselves into Matt Hunwick makes me smile. Makes me nostalgic for the days Bruins fans did the same.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Screams of a ''we have to hit the floor anyway, what's a 500 K overpay?'' type signing. The 2 year part is odd though.
Look around the league, that's what bottom pairing d-men get these days.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Seeing Avs fans talk themselves into Matt Hunwick makes me smile. Makes me nostalgic for the days Bruins fans did the same.
FYI Hunwick did look like a good bottom pairing d-man this past season, he was atrocious in 2010/11 I'll give you that.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I thought Hunwick was considered the worst defenseman ever by Colorado fans?
Yeah I saw it all the time, but then when he's re-signed they rush to defend him.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Yeah I saw it all the time, but then when he's re-signed they rush to defend him.
No actually most people liked Hunwick in the 2011/2012 season.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Maybe you should check out our threads from last season or you know actually watch Hunwick play.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:01 PM
CobraAcesS

How many players will sign a contract knowing there is a good chance they will ride the pine for most of the year? Especially with how he played down the stretch.

I don't like it all that much but I am not surprised. I will be fN livid if he sees significant playing time over other players and is not playing well. But I am willing to hold off judgment.

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
rderosier
Rookie User

What

Confirmed now.

Last edited by rderosier: 06-07-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Confirmed.
rderosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Chileiceman

It's a done deal now

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Eeep, good signing for depth defensemen around the league

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

It's on the Avs site now.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Lol and now Dater confirms it.

What a joke, Dater is an absolute joke.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Maybe you should check out our threads from last season or you know actually watch Hunwick play.

As a Bruins fan I've seen more than enough of Matt Hunwick play to form an opinion. He's a fabulous skater and "looks" good. But he's good for about 5+ absolutely boneheaded moves/passes/turnovers/bad pinches per game easily. What's so frustrating about Hunwick is that he'll look awesome for about 12 shifts in a row, and then he'll have the worst shift in history on the 13th. Turn it over in a bad spot, get manhandled in his zone, get called on a delayed penalty, and then watch his man score to finish the shift. It's amazing.

Avs fans. Don't be fooled by his 33 game season last year. He is what he was when you got him...he hasn't changed. He might "look" good because he's such a good skater and stickhandler for a defenseman, but he can't make an outlet pass consistently, he can't handle guys in his own end, and he's prone to boneheaded plays on a regular basis.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:02 PM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

Quote:
As a Bruins fan I've seen more than enough of Matt Hunwick play to form an opinion. He's a fabulous skater and "looks" good. But he's good for about 5+ absolutely boneheaded moves/passes/turnovers/bad pinches per game easily. What's so frustrating about Hunwick is that he'll look awesome for about 12 shifts in a row, and then he'll have the worst shift in history on the 13th. Turn it over in a bad spot, get manhandled in his zone, get called on a delayed penalty, and then watch his man score to finish the shift. It's amazing.

Avs fans. Don't be fooled by his 33 game season last year. He is what he was when you got him...he hasn't changed. He might "look" good because he's such a good skater and stickhandler for a defenseman, but he can't make an outlet pass consistently, he can't handle guys in his own end, and he's prone to boneheaded plays on a regular basis.
Which is fine but Braden Carlzner made it sound like we were only defending Hunwick because we re-signed him when really we have been defending him since he got to play as a regular again.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

What I got from all Av fans last season was that Hunwick played with a parachute attached to his back every game.

Good signing I guess.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

He earned his contract just because of this goal.

While I may not have wanted it to be with us, I can tolerate the deal because as long as he remains our 6th/7th defender and used as competition for our young PMDs then it is a good deal.

He only becomes a problem on the ice when he is put in a position outside of his playing ability. I fully expect him to make some stupid moves, but do you expect anything different from your 3rd pairing guys?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Analyzer

I guess he's doing well there, cause he was absolutely terrible with the Bruins.

Or was that Lashoff ? Probably both. Too bad Boston didn't keep those guys...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
What I got from all Av fans last season was that Hunwick played with a parachute attached to his back every game.

Good signing I guess.
Wait what, Hunwick is probably the fastest skater on the team.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:

Go figure here comes the expert Bruins fan. How many games have you seen him play in the two years since he was traded?

You can say it's homer Avs fans who are talking about this being an ok depth signing, "selling ourselves on him", but get real, he was resigned to a 1.5m contract at the end of 2011 for this year, and absolutely was worth that to us as a team player when other guys went down this year. 1.5 is scraps in the modern NHL, people who are being picky because it's 500k too expensive don't have the first clue what they're talking about.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote