HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Davidson interviews with CBJ

Old
06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I can't envision Davidson leaving unless he is very unhappy with something within the Blues organization. The Blues will possibly contend for it all next season with a little offensive help while the Blue Jackets aren't close to being in a similar situation.
I think you're missing the part where the blues new owners are rumored to want to bring in a different guy and shed some salary in the process.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:35 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Here's Jeff Little's take (Ten Minute Misconduct):

http://tenminutemisconduct.com/?p=1704

Nothing new or unique, but it fits in with his earlier approach to the need for front office improvements. I dont always agree with Little, but I usually find his contributions worth consideration.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
We're this to happen, I wonder if he would be prohibited from involvement in the CBJ draft process because he's most likely been deeply engaged in the Blues draft preparations?
That is probably likely. I would say that it makes a lot of sense that if Davidson is hired that you'll see a clean slate kind of start in the support staff on July 1. Kind of links back to the fact that the scouting staff contracts end on June 30.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
At the very least maybe he could give ownership some advice and fire Howson.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
At the very least maybe he could give ownership some advice and fire Howson.
If there's one group of people whose advice should be listened to on matters of competent GMs, it's definitely Edmonton fans.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If there's one group of people whose advice should be listened to on matters of competent GMs, it's definitely Edmonton fans.
So you think Howson is competent?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I plan to change me answer/approach each time something new in this story comes out. That way, I will eventually be right.

Report: JD is available and smart orgs should be looking at him.
Me: CBJ probably won't even look at him. Buncha dunces.
Report: CBJ met with JD.
Me: Probably won't get him. Buncha dunces.
I believe the followups are (on hiring) "Probably won't listen to what he has to say", (on not drafting Murray if he works here) "Probably overruled JD's suggestion", (on winning the Cup) "Probably because JD took over everything and they're only on the payroll so JMac can save face."

Truly, if you're creative enough, you can be miserable and depressed about anything.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:03 PM
FANonymous

There should be no problem in picking him up. Don't the Blues owe us for sending them Hitch?

YOU'RE WELCOME ST. LOUIS!!!!

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So you think Howson is competent?
No, just that we're not interested in outside opinions on our own message boards regarding current intense flamewars that we're trying to keep down, kthx. If we're going to break ceasefire, it'd be nice if it were for a better reason than "some Oil fan showed up and regurgitated the same ol' same ol'".

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
leesmith
Still in.

If they hire him and put him in the right role, I'm all for it!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If they hire him and put him in the right role, I'm all for it!
The guy inside the Boomer suit? I'm right there with ya.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:40 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

I join the believe it when I see it class.

But man, this would be huge.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
alphafox

Does anybody think that Howson could become a good GM under Davidson and with Patrick's Help. I don't think it is disputed that Howson is a very intelligent man, but I think he needs strong guidance and someone to give him a vision, maybe Davidson could be that Guy.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Does anybody think that Howson could become a good GM under Davidson and with Patrick's Help. I don't think it is disputed that Howson is a very intelligent man, but I think he needs strong guidance and someone to give him a vision, maybe Davidson could be that Guy.
I don't care and don't care to speculate. Let's keep the cart before the horse. If, by some miracle, he comes here he'll make his own decisions based on analysis.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I’m shocked Davidson has been interviewed, this is great news.. As most I’ll hold my excitement for the welcome to the Blue Jackets party though.. I truly did not think the CBJ organization would be interested in giving him a look, let’s hope they hire him.

If he is hired I don’t think the Nash situation will change but I do think the Priest situation will. I would guess Priest will move to strictly business affairs and Davidson will take over all team/player related issues within his job description. Again, if hired, it will be interesting to see what title he’ll be given.

Great news so far, and for the record, note the plethora of positive posts today-overwhelming!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Anyone know when he will decide to join or not?

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Anyone know when he will decide to join or not?
I believe the story says the 30 day window in his contract is up tomorrow. So we may know as soon as then.

But if, as has been alluded to, the new STL ownership would really rather move on, I would think they could extend the window.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:26 PM
36kap36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Great news so far, and for the record, note the plethora of positive posts today-overwhelming!
What is this?! Haha but in all honesty, I'm stoked that this organization had the sense to even interview someone who could legitimately help us twice in a year! I'll join the boat of "don't get too excited over nothing," but this does give me a little more hope for this team.

36kap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Here's Jeff Little's take (Ten Minute Misconduct):

http://tenminutemisconduct.com/?p=1704

Nothing new or unique, but it fits in with his earlier approach to the need for front office improvements. I dont always agree with Little, but I usually find his contributions worth consideration.
I laugh every time I read one of his columns so desperate to a third way approach to address our management woes while failing to acknowledge that his Rube Goldberg way of making the Howson-Priest team appear competent is a blatant admission that they aren't competent--if the current brain trust was working, would our owner finally be thinking about putting someone else in place as the primary architect?

Hopefully this is a signal that ownership sees what has been clear to most for some time--the current management is over their skis.

That said, why rush to re-hire Richards if Davidson was on the radar? Why not take a wait and see approach?

Davidson is not perfect (see the Blues inconsistent history with him in charge), but in the role of president he'd be a good fit and a vast improvement allowing Priest to have a diminished role while saving face.

Howson's leash would likely be very short.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Davidson would be a big personality in the front office.
I wonder if he would overshadow or clash with Howson.

And bringing in such a marquee President might be a vote of "only some" confidence in Howson by the owners. Is that wise? Dunno.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I laugh every time I read one of his columns so desperate to a third way approach to address our management woes while failing to acknowledge that his Rube Goldberg way of making the Howson-Priest team appear competent is a blatant admission that they aren't competent--if the current brain trust was working, would our owner finally be thinking about putting someone else in place as the primary architect?

Hopefully this is a signal that ownership sees what has been clear to most for some time--the current management is over their skis.

That said, why rush to re-hire Richards if Davidson was on the radar? Why not take a wait and see approach?

Davidson is not perfect (see the Blues inconsistent history with him in charge), but in the role of president he'd be a good fit and a vast improvement allowing Priest to have a diminished role while saving face.

I don't take it as a rush to re hire Richards, rather, I see it as they couldn't find anyone else. That seems to be what Howson said, in that there was no one any better than him out on the market.

If JD comes, that adds some much needed hockey "weight" to our Front Office, which in turn will open up many more options for potential coaches.

We can only hope and pray JD comes to Columbus.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

I'm not upset with the Richards hire as much as some, granted I would have preferred a interview process testing the market but in all reality the Jackets are going to need a few years to get the roster in order after Nash is traded anyway.

I don't think the weakest link in the CBJ chain is the head coach position (at least right now), it's the organization management and subsequent roster.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

This is about as big a surprise as Vinny re-signing. If Davidson gets hired (I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be HUGE), Howson's down to his last couple threads before tumbling off the cliff.

This could be the shortest-lived avatar I've ever had.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
leesmith
Still in.

I love it when this franchise has momentary lapses of competence!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm not upset with the Richards hire as much as some, granted I would have preferred a interview process testing the market but in all reality the Jackets are going to need a few years to get the roster in order after Nash is traded anyway.

I don't think the weakest link in the CBJ chain is the head coach position (at least right now), it's the organization management and subsequent roster.
I agree, Robert, this team needs more talent in the front office and on the ice. Talent on both fronts would solve a multitude of problems

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote