HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs interested in signing Jagr

Old
06-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
Palushaj might impress.. ppl forget what was being said about Plekanec his first year with us.
agree with that to a degree, but thing is that as we stand we have 2 "open" spots in the top-9, I'd rather see us add a solid veteran/established player, and then let Leblanc/Palushaj/Geoffrion/Gallgaher be in competition for the final spot & get opportunities as injury call ups.

MaxPac
Cole
Gionta
Bourque
???
???

from a competitive stand point, adding a Jagr (or someone else who would be pencilled in as a top-9 winger) would be very good from a depth pov, and doesn't preclude Therrien from allowing camp competition to lead to Bourque getting supplanted by a young player and starting the year in the AHL.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why not?
It's a band aid, IMO.

Why bother slapping a one year band-aid on the team in hopes of making the playoffs, and further heightening expectations for the following season?

I'd rather we go after a player that can help us long-term, whether it's via free agency or the trade route. We do need depth on the wings, no question. I wouldn't completely pan the signing, but I wouldn't be ecstatic either.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:49 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

If Jagr signs with Montreal I really hope the Habs give Palushaj a chance to play with some real offensive players. Just a waste of everyone's time playing him the way they done the last 2 years.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
It's a band aid, IMO.

Why bother slapping a one year band-aid on the team in hopes of making the playoffs, and further heightening expectations for the following season?

I'd rather we go after a player that can help us long-term, whether it's via free agency or the trade route. We do need depth on the wings, no question. I wouldn't completely pan the signing, but I wouldn't be ecstatic either.
The purpose of a "band aid" is to allow your young players a chance to develop properly in Hamilton instaed of making those mistakes under the bright lights in Montreal.

If you only go after "long term" players then you start blocking the path of your young players.

PLUS, with the current UFA market there are virtually no "long term" players anyways. The best signing is guys we should offer 1-2 years as potential bounce back guys...Semin, Stoll, Penner etc Parise and Suter right now are among the very few and both could be off the market.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
If Jagr signs with Montreal I really hope the Habs give Palushaj a chance to play with some real offensive players. Just a waste of everyone's time playing him the way they done the last 2 years.
I would be ok starting the year with Palushaj with Bourque and Eller.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
habitue*

Jagr ? NO F""" WAY !

the guy said NO to the Habs last year. He's not getting younger on top of that.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Jagr ? NO F""" WAY !

the guy said NO to the Habs last year. He's not getting younger on top of that.
Check your facts, the habs never extended an offer. The habs called him before his KHL season was over to inquire if he was interested to come back to the NHL. In the offseason, we didn't attempt to acquire him (or were late to the punch).

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:52 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
The purpose of a "band aid" is to allow your young players a chance to develop properly in Hamilton instaed of making those mistakes under the bright lights in Montreal.

If you only go after "long term" players then you start blocking the path of your young players.

PLUS, with the current UFA market there are virtually no "long term" players anyways. The best signing is guys we should offer 1-2 years as potential bounce back guys...Semin, Stoll, Penner etc Parise and Suter right now are among the very few and both could be off the market.
Exactly how many prospects do we have on the cusp of breaking through on the wings? If there isn't any bounce back options like you listed, or a serviceable long-term guy... Then I'd be open to the idea of bringing in Jagr, but he is far from my first option.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Even if I wanted to disagree with you here, I can't. It'd be nice if all the perfect moves to address every need exactly right for the long term happened by next September/October. Reality is that no team ever really does, so there are 1-2 year contracts through every single team - one of which obviously wins a Cup every year. And it's not like we're talking about Jeff Halpern or Glen Metropolit here. It's Jaromir freaking Jagr, who comes with (regular season aside for a moment) 180 playoff games played, two Cups, and 190 playoff points of experience, and still seems to have 20 goal seasons left in him. For the right price, and if it forced some "tough" decisions regarding other less productive cap "burdens", then...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Why waste time penciling Jagr, Parise, or Suter into the lineup? There are mor attractive opportunities elsewhere. Why would they want to play for a struggling team when they can make as much elsewhere?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Takashi

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634055
Jagr wants to resign with flyers

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Good that settles it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
I saw the same thing on TSN

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Toeman18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
We said all year that Plekanec needs a winger. We can get one for about 2M$ that can probably give us 50 pts which is good for a 2nd line winger. Healthy Markov+Jagr, our PP should be fixed.
What he said!!!!!!

Toeman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Killerguitar101*

Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Keep him away from Montreal.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 06-08-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
mtlhockeyfan

I would take him....1 year/2.5 million max

mtlhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I can't see him leaving the chance to play with giroux and take a step Backwards by signing with the habs this late in his career. The only question is whether the flyers want him back too

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:26 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I can't see him leaving the chance to play with giroux and take a step Backwards by signing with the habs this late in his career. The only question is whether the flyers want him back too
Why? It's not like he's chasing a cup at this point necessarily.

Money and fame.

Montreal would be the best thing for him at this point in his career, and between Plekx, Desharnais and Eller (hell and Gomez) the Habs could find some talented guys for him to play with and figure out something that works.

And...if the impossible happens and the Habs go on a run and Jagr is part of it isn't he far better off than if Philadelphia was to go on a run? Even if he wins in Philly people will just go "meh, he shoulda never left Pittsburgh" but in Montreal?

It looks like he'll be signing with Philly, if he hits July 1st I hope the Habs offer him 1 year 4.5 million. The space will be there if they have a way out on Gomez OR if the cap goes up to even just 65 let alone the 70.3 it's currently on track to be at than Gomez won't even matter.

Any big drop in the cap will come with a rollback too. The players won't like it but a rollback is better than the situation that would occur as a result of a drastically lowered cap and suddenly far more guys being way more overpaid than they were.

All in all though...nothing out there after Parise at forward that's that enticing, so a 1 year deal on Jagr would be sweet, and who cares at what cost really? The difference between 3 and 4.5 is meaningless on a 1 year deal.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

keep dreaming guys he's not coming here /thread....http://www.timesherald.com/article/2...ted-in-staying

http://insidehockey.com/jagr-close-t...ng-with-flyers

Giroux Hartnell have also pleaded with their GM to re-sign him. Why would he come here if he can play with a guy like Giroux? /thread

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Ginu

Dreger:
Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...54088649375744

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Dreger:
Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...54088649375744
3 mil 1 season, get it done. I honestly thought he was coming here last year, he made the right choice signing with Philly that time, but now it's our turn!

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
PricePkPatch

There is hope!!!

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:48 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
3 mil 1 season, get it done. I honestly thought he was coming here last year, he made the right choice signing with Philly that time, but now it's our turn!
with the production he had last season, 57pts in 73gams, 8ppg and total of 20ppp, pretty sure some team will throw him more then 3 milly.
i wanna seem him sport a habs jearsy, but doubt it will happen.
IMO he's going to sign with a contender.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
LaTenderness

I wanna see Jar sporting a col roulé Bleue along side the mechanic

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Always loved Jagr in the 90's, by far my favorite player growing up.

Like I said earlier, Habs will be making money from me if they sign Jagr

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote