HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Yandle for Staal Rumour (via Eklund)

Old
06-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

vCash: 500
25 goals would have been second best on our team last year and thats in only 62 games. He is not a slouch offensively. Im sure Tippett would love to be able to role out Hanzal and Staal against the likes of Kopitar and Richards etc. Hes a complete player and he is still young. I would agree with having trying to have a deal in place first. I really like staal but I wouldnt want to lose yandle for one year of staal.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
SweYote

I want no part of this trade for many reasons. I like Yandle better than Staal as a player and Yandle is a cornerstone of this team not only in the ice but in the lockerroom as well. I know it makes sense to trade a defenseman for a center but this doesn't work.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Its one of the odder trade proposals out there since Phoenix already has a version of Staal in Hanzal and Pittsburgh already have a version of Yandle in Letang.

Gwyddbwyll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:12 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Its one of the odder trade proposals out there since Phoenix already has a version of Staal in Hanzal and Pittsburgh already have a version of Yandle in Letang.
That's eklund for ya

06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Fine. Hanzal and Yandle for Staal and Letang. Because sure.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

I would be astounded if Maloney gives up the next captain of the Phoenix Coyotes. Maybe for Ovechkin? Seriously, they have in Yandle a leader who might lead the Coyotes clubhouse for a decade after Doan retires.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:07 AM

I won't debate the value of the trade proposal but I think it would be a kick in the pants to see Yandle traded. He's been a model citizen for the Coyotes and agreed to a long term contract with the team, although paid nicely for it. I also see Yandle as the future captain of this team and I don't think that Staal is worth risking any of the previously mentioned.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
doaner

I'm not sure it's even ek's rumor. There wasn't an E value added to it.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

I should start my own rumor web site. I can't believe this guy's turds still generate threads.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
I should start my own rumor web site. I can't believe this guy's turds still generate threads.
David Schlemko to EDM for RNH = zz4 ?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
David Schlemko to EDM for RNH = zz4 ?
The most Elklunesq part of this proposal is that it would not even fill one of Edmonton's needs. Sure E5

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Why is everyone against trading Yandle? We're overloaded on defense and lack talent/depth up front. Yandle is the obvious choice to move given his name recognition/all star appearences outweigh his performance in my opinion. Yandle is a quality player but it takes talent to return talent.

Getting a player of Staal's caliber in return is a trade GMDM needs to make. 23 years old, 6-4/200, 120 goals and 250 points in his young career is too good to pass up.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yandle might outscore Staal every year for the rest of their career.

Staal has shown no commitment to our market that seems terribly difficult for most players to commit to. Yandle had no such difficulty.

It's pretty apparent moments after games end that Yandle is a leader on this team. You can also tell by the letter he's had stitched on his chest for years.

One year ago, we were sure he'd be a Norris contender every summer. He had one minor set back of a season and all of a sudden he's expendable. I doubt Maloney has such a short memory. Keith Yandle is capable of so much and has actually shown it in the NHL. He's also integral to team chemistry on a team in which chemistry is integral.

If we go one more full season without seeing a glimpse of super Yandle, then I would reconsider his value. Remember, though, how dominant he was at times in 10-11. It should not be easy to let that go. I don't think Jordan Staal will ever be as effective as 10-11 Yandle.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
Why is everyone against trading Yandle? We're overloaded on defense and lack talent/depth up front. Yandle is the obvious choice to move given his name recognition/all star appearences outweigh his performance in my opinion. Yandle is a quality player but it takes talent to return talent.

Getting a player of Staal's caliber in return is a trade GMDM needs to make. 23 years old, 6-4/200, 120 goals and 250 points in his young career is too good to pass up.
The Coyotes are not overloaded on defense. They're not.

After Yandle, you have OEL, who had a very good year and a great playoffs, but he only had 32 points and it's not a given that he explodes from there. Remember what we thought of Yandle a year ago compared to what you think of him now, and apply that to OEL. One good year is not a big enough sample size to project an enitre career.

Then you have Morris and Klesla, neither of whom is a spring chicken or a top pairing guy. Rozsival is gone, and maybe Aucoin, too. Then you have Schlemko, who is serviceable in a bottom pairing role but doesn't exactly scream "#1 potential." I see him topping out, at best, as a #4.

If you're talking about guys like Gormley, Rundblad, and Murphy, don't. Not one has accomplished anything in the NHL yet, and while potential is high for all of them, they haven't proven anything. Trading Yandle because Gormley or Rundblad might be as good two or three years is, aside from counting your chickens before they hatch, just a waste of a few seasons.

Keep Yandle.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM

I agree. The Coyotes have a dearth of defensive depth if you consider prospects, but they have no such depth at the NHL level. They have a serviceable defense, but it's not such a position of strength that you start moving your NHL defense. If they wanted to move defensive prospects and minor leaguers then I would say that is worth the risk to upgrade at forward. Of course no one is going to take one of those prospects and give us a top 6 forward in the NHL right now without significantly sweetening the deal.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I agree. The Coyotes have a dearth of defensive depth if you consider prospects, but they have no such depth at the NHL level. They have a serviceable defense, but it's not such a position of strength that you start moving your NHL defense. If they wanted to move defensive prospects and minor leaguers then I would say that is worth the risk to upgrade at forward. Of course no one is going to take one of those prospects and give us a top 6 forward in the NHL right now without significantly sweetening the deal.
I think that you mean "plethora". I disagreee with your assertion that they are short on NHL defensemen. A number of prospects appear to be NHL ready or nearly ready in my eyes.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I think that you mean "plethora". I disagreee with your assertion that they are short on NHL defensemen. A number of prospects appear to be NHL ready or nearly ready in my eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
DesertDawg

Staal, Hanzal, Gordon down the center, don't have only '1' shut down center. I can see it would increase their offensive #'s. Staal would thrive in such a situation, I could see3 him on a line with Doan. But I just don't believe that the Pens would want to increase the payroll on their defense and I would imagine that Maloney would want more like Staal, Tangradi, Michalek for Yandle, #1 pick, and Bissonette

That's only because I feel highly about Jordan Staal, seriously doubt that the Coyotes will trade Yandle for anything other than an overpayment. Maloney would point out that Staal only has 1 more year before becoming a UFA.

and Tippet said that there are 10 D'man on the roster he felt comfortable putting in a game

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post

Cuando vivia en el Mexico se me llamaron el Guero. Les pide llamarme el Guapo.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:01 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
The Coyotes are not overloaded on defense. They're not.

After Yandle, you have OEL, who had a very good year and a great playoffs, but he only had 32 points and it's not a given that he explodes from there. Remember what we thought of Yandle a year ago compared to what you think of him now, and apply that to OEL. One good year is not a big enough sample size to project an enitre career.

Then you have Morris and Klesla, neither of whom is a spring chicken or a top pairing guy. Rozsival is gone, and maybe Aucoin, too. Then you have Schlemko, who is serviceable in a bottom pairing role but doesn't exactly scream "#1 potential." I see him topping out, at best, as a #4.

If you're talking about guys like Gormley, Rundblad, and Murphy, don't. Not one has accomplished anything in the NHL yet, and while potential is high for all of them, they haven't proven anything. Trading Yandle because Gormley or Rundblad might be as good two or three years is, aside from counting your chickens before they hatch, just a waste of a few seasons.

Keep Yandle.
If in a conversation about defense, the idea of points comes up, then you are looking at the wrong thing. Heck, Summers had 3 assists in,his first two games as a Coyote, so wouldn't that mean he should be on the ice all the time?

OEL is much better defensively, at a younger age, and his passing and vision are just as good as Yandle's.

As rt said, if he shows Super Yandle instincts, then he stays. The problem is that this year, he made a lot of the same mistakes that he has made in previous years. He also looked like he played with an "entitled" attitude. Making two all-star games is a big accomplishment, but there are always players becoming better. In fact, Yandle should not have even been the all-star from the 'Yotes last year. Both Vrbata and Whitney had better seasons overall and at the time of the break.
A guest also mentioned that we do not have as many NHL ready defensemen. We actually had 10 d-men play in 25+ games last year (many of Rundblad's were with Ottawa), but the point is that if these players weren't NHL ready, maybe 2-3 games would have been given to each one. As much as injuries are a byproduct of playing these guys, who walked away saying that Stone, Summers, Rundblad aren't NHL quality players?

You have to give up talent to get talent, and a lot of Yandle's play makes me feel like he is going to go down a path where he doesn't getmuch worse, but doesn't get that much better, either.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
PhoPhan

I understand points are not the most important thing for a defenseman, but for a team like the Coyotes that relies so heavily on counterattacks and a transitional game, defensemen who can move the puck up ice (whether by passing or puckhandling) are supremely important. Yandle is thus far the best player on the team at this.

Could OEL be better as soon as next season? Sure. He looked great in the playoffs. But I'm not ready to crown him the #1 yet. Remember how good Turris looked in last season's playoffs?

Sample size. Sample size. Sample size.

Let's also consider how many of these guys are on ELCs. We've seen a few guys strongarm Maloney into trading them already. Who's to say OEL or someone else won't pull the same garbage? At the very least, can we not place some value on one of the very few players committed to this team for a longer term?

Old
06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Here is an honest question...which team was the last team to win the stanley cup with an average to mediocre group of centers?

Hanzal and vermette are second line centers and gordon is a fourth line center.

There are three ways to aquire a first line center...draft, ufa, trade.

We dont have one in our prospect pool now and unlikely to draft one this year. Any that we do draft are still years away from filling that role.

UFA...There are very few quality centers available..hell Jokinen is near the top of the list if that tells you anything. There are good role guys like Stoll that Id love to have but I dont see the answer in UFA. Even if there were centers we are not the ideal team to sign with for a lot of guys.

That leaves trade. There are few teams out there in a situation where they would consider trading that caliber of center. The teams that are recognize the value of these players and they wont be traded cheaply. You have to give up value. That could come through Yandle or Gormley and Boedker or picks etc. Its going to end up being something you dont want to part with though. You arent going to get a first line center for Tikhonov, Goncharov and a 2nd.

I dont want to lose Yandle but Id rather be watching the Coyotes in the finals right now. Maybe Im alone but until we fix the center problem I doubt we get any closer than we did this year.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:37 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I understand points are not the most important thing for a defenseman, but for a team like the Coyotes that relies so heavily on counterattacks and a transitional game, defensemen who can move the puck up ice (whether by passing or puckhandling) are supremely important. Yandle is thus far the best player on the team at this.

Could OEL be better as soon as next season? Sure. He looked great in the playoffs. But I'm not ready to crown him the #1 yet. Remember how good Turris looked in last season's playoffs?

Sample size. Sample size. Sample size.

Let's also consider how many of these guys are on ELCs. We've seen a few guys strongarm Maloney into trading them already. Who's to say OEL or someone else won't pull the same garbage? At the very least, can we not place some value on one of the very few players committed to this team for a longer term?
Turris was on the team looking for a way out. OEL is on the team bc he deserves the minutes that he is getting. Name a player under the age of 21 that logged that many minutes in the playoffs (besting Yandle, on average, by 4 minutes per game.

If OEL is projecting to be a guy who can't live up to Yandle's accomplishments, then our entire coaching staff should also go, as they are the ones who are running him out there ahead of Yandle.

Plus, OEL is more physical in a good way. Yandle's examples of physicality include punching two players after the refs have pretty much brought order to the situation. Then, when the refs aren't able to diffuse the situation, Keith turtles given the opportunity to stand up for himself. Don't kid anyone, Yandle has talent, but he is not an asset that deserves to be in the untouchable realm.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:45 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
I dont want to lose Yandle but Id rather be watching the Coyotes in the finals right now. Maybe Im alone but until we fix the center problem I doubt we get any closer than we did this year.
Staal for Yandle in the WCF doesn't beat the kings.
The Coyotes had a great run and it was commendable, but they have some serious deficiencies which make it a run not likely to be repeated. Career years from aging players, some breakout playoff performances, and Smith playing out of his mind. The odds of just one of those things happening again next season isn't so hot.

And if we are going to go the route of "when was the last time X won the cup", when was the last time a team with no owner in the bottom 1/3rd of spending won the cup?

Staal just isn't that good either. Sure he'd instantly be number one on this team but so would a lot of centers. Toss in the fact that Staal's deal expires and its just insane and terrible asset management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Yandle has talent, but he is not an asset that deserves to be in the untouchable realm.
Not untouchable, but worth more than Staal. Adding random crap picks that won't be a factor till 2015 or roster players won't even it either.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't think Yandle played like he was entitled. I think it was quite the opposite. I think he played like he was trying way too damn hard to live up to that fat contract. This gave way to blunders which killed his confidence which gave way to even more blunders. As soon as he gets his head screwed back on straight, he will be back to his old dynamic self.