HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Jokinen

View Poll Results: Would you consider bringing Olli Jokinen back via UFA as a 2C?
Sure, why not. He has skills we can use. 45 69.23%
No way. He has a tainted history here and bringing him back would be a mistake. 20 30.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Wouldn't shock me to see Tallon pull a big move to get us a top 6 center.

We simply cannot (IMO) go into next season without another top 6 center.

Weiss is a very good (not great) player, but if he is injured for a long stretch, there is no way (unless Huberdeau knocks the doors off in his 1st NHL season at center) that this team can make the playoffs.
Yeah, I do agree with that, Goc isn't the guy to step up, either. Just seriously hope we have a different option. I know I'm hating, but I have good reason, IMO. If he were to come back, I'd be pissed for a bit, but I'd cheer him on and hope is great for us. Like Erik, I'll be surprised if Tallon brings him in.

06-05-2012, 11:41 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
+ New attitude. He has become a different man in Calgary, and not only play-wise.
he's definitely grown up a bit. i don't hold a grudge against the guy. he was an arrogant fool when he was here and wasn't interested in anything other than scoring goals. now that he's had his *** handed to him (first by JM, then humbled in PHO and CAL), he's a more modest player. he says the right things and i'm sure he's fine as a teammate. still, i don't think tallon would want him here - he's trying to bring back the guys that were associated with success in FL. i'd say it has little to do with where he is now and more to do with what he represents from the past.

if he were to sign here, i wouldn't be shocked, just mildly surprised. the way tallon has been working, i would be surprised if he made another medium (large for us, a la booth) sized move to fortify the top 6.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:34 AM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

I am now under the impression that Jokinen had his way with everyone's mothers on this forum.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I am now under the impression that Jokinen had his way with everyone's mothers on this forum.
Or perhaps the Panthers are in desperate need for a scoring center and Jokinen is almost a sure thing to put up 50 points?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:43 PM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Or perhaps the Panthers are in desperate need for a scoring center and Jokinen is almost a sure thing to put up 50 points?
I think you misunderstood my joke. I am in favor of bring Olli back. I just don't get how some people are so vehemently against the idea.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I'm not completely against the idea of bringing Olli back. I'd rather go through other options, but I do think he's not a complete anti-Tallon kind of player and would try his best to fit into the system.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my joke. I am in favor of bring Olli back. I just don't get how some people are so vehemently against the idea.
Ahh, gotcha. Apologies.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Easy for me, he's not a good memory of an era we're trying to remove ourselves from and he quit on the team. Yes, that's a HUGE thing for me, and frankly I don't understand how it's not huge for all of us. I don't want Bouw or Nate back, either. Nor Luongo.

That said, I'll get over it at some point and cheer him on, but I'll be skeptical.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:51 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

His history scares me, but from what people have said he has cleaned up, so why not? Second liner with good skill. Two years.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Easy for me, he's not a good memory of an era we're trying to remove ourselves from and he quit on the team. Yes, that's a HUGE thing for me, and frankly I don't understand how it's not huge for all of us. I don't want Bouw or Nate back, either. Nor Luongo.

That said, I'll get over it at some point and cheer him on, but I'll be skeptical.
While I agree about this past decade, we can't pretend that some things didn't go well for us.Olli did break a lot of records for this franchise. He was dedicated to this hockey club before he was traded. I know people aren't happy about what Olli did with regards to missing the charity event, and what he did in order to get JM fired, but in all honesty do you think we would be where we are now if it wasn't for all that nonsense? JM was wrong back then and he used Olli as a scapegoat. JM is gone now, Deboer is gone now, all of the previous teams are gone now except for Weiss. Things are totally different now and I don't think Tallon would bring in Olli if he felt Olli would be damaging to our development. We need a top center who can score goals and not for nothing, at least back then, Olli was a 30 goal scorer and helped out a lot on the PP.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:53 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
While I agree about this past decade, we can't pretend that some things didn't go well for us.Olli did break a lot of records for this franchise. He was dedicated to this hockey club before he was traded. I know people aren't happy about what Olli did with regards to missing the charity event, and what he did in order to get JM fired, but in all honesty do you think we would be where we are now if it wasn't for all that nonsense? JM was wrong back then and he used Olli as a scapegoat. JM is gone now, Deboer is gone now, all of the previous teams are gone now except for Weiss. Things are totally different now and I don't think Tallon would bring in Olli if he felt Olli would be damaging to our development. We need a top center who can score goals and not for nothing, at least back then, Olli was a 30 goal scorer and helped out a lot on the PP.
Agreed. I think Olli could even do more than 50 points, with the Panthers he could really put up some impressive numbers, I mean he still is with the Flames.

Last edited by MillarWithASave: 06-07-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old
06-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
He used Olli as a scapegoat? Olli admittedly quit on the season! Yes the charity nonsense pisses me off, but I could see past that if he hadn't quit on the team!! What did we win with Olli? He has/had all those records because we've sucked for a decade, not because he was one of the best we've ever had.

Has nothing to do with JM, DeBoer, Cohen, etc...it's about his attitude and him quitting. Why people bring up JM is beyond me. I'm a grown man, I make up my own mind.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:47 AM
ShootIt

Didn't Olli play the point for us? Would be a good/decent replacement for g52 If he walks

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Cats2TheCup

Ya, cause in the glory days with a top 2 center lines of Weiss and jokinen we were anything but a joke. Let's get a real first line talent and actually not settle for signing another Jovo player at the end of his career.

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
Ya, cause in the glory days with a top 2 center lines of Weiss and jokinen we were anything but a joke. Let's get a real first line talent and actually not settle for signing another Jovo player at the end of his career.
this. sooo much this.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
He used Olli as a scapegoat? Olli admittedly quit on the season! Yes the charity nonsense pisses me off, but I could see past that if he hadn't quit on the team!! What did we win with Olli? He has/had all those records because we've sucked for a decade, not because he was one of the best we've ever had.

Has nothing to do with JM, DeBoer, Cohen, etc...it's about his attitude and him quitting. Why people bring up JM is beyond me. I'm a grown man, I make up my own mind.
He most definately used Olli as a scapegoat. Olli stopped playing for MARTIN,not his team, because he was tired of Martin throwing him under the bus every time the team didn't perform. I remember the whole Olli-Martin-Cohen love triangle and how all that drama went down. Yes, Olli quit. He didn't quit on his team nor his fans. He quit on Martin. I am sure it wasn't an easy thing to do for Olli and while I don't know Olli or the situation behind closed doors, I do know what its like to be thrown under the bus at work and how he probably felt.
Do I think what he did was right for the team or success? I don't know.He shouldn't have quit,but maybe he helped our organization. One can argue that IF it didn't happen and the Cats made the post season that year, we might not have gotten what we have now..i.e..Tallon,Santos,Viner,Dineen, and the entire new roster and #1 prospect pool. Can I over look it IF Olli returned and had a different attitude and wanted to help this organization succeed? Sure,why not.

Why does how our team has performed the past decade have anything to do with the accomplishments Olli has earned over the years as a Panther? Does that mean all the records Weiss has earned doesn't mean as much because this season was his first season in the post season although he's been here for ten years? All I am saying is that Olli was a good player while he was here and he was scoring goals. We need scoring! While I would love to bring in Parise or Semin, or to have Tallon trade for a top center, I wouldn't mind Olli back if we didn't land any of those players.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Laus723
Future Now

He quit, period. He tried to get Martin fired, it backfired on him. Did Weiss quit? Any of a number of other players? Nope. He had the opportunity to get his ass in gear and help push himself and the team into the playoffs...for his first time. Instead, he stopped playing. Disgusting. He was the captain. There was expectations on him, he instead took on himself to get the coach fired. Coaches call out their players all the time. Keenan put a ton of pressure on him and it worked. Perhaps Martin is poor at that ability, but ever thought he was trying to do the same? Olli took a step back, before the drama started.

I'm saying that the record holders aren't that big of a deal, none of them are that spectacular, they've benefitted from poor players in and out of here.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
He most definately used Olli as a scapegoat. Olli stopped playing for MARTIN,not his team, because he was tired of Martin throwing him under the bus every time the team didn't perform. I remember the whole Olli-Martin-Cohen love triangle and how all that drama went down. Yes, Olli quit. He didn't quit on his team nor his fans. He quit on Martin. I am sure it wasn't an easy thing to do for Olli and while I don't know Olli or the situation behind closed doors, I do know what its like to be thrown under the bus at work and how he probably felt.
Do I think what he did was right for the team or success? I don't know.He shouldn't have quit,but maybe he helped our organization. One can argue that IF it didn't happen and the Cats made the post season that year, we might not have gotten what we have now..i.e..Tallon,Santos,Viner,Dineen, and the entire new roster and #1 prospect pool. Can I over look it IF Olli returned and had a different attitude and wanted to help this organization succeed? Sure,why not.

Why does how our team has performed the past decade have anything to do with the accomplishments Olli has earned over the years as a Panther? Does that mean all the records Weiss has earned doesn't mean as much because this season was his first season in the post season although he's been here for ten years? All I am saying is that Olli was a good player while he was here and he was scoring goals. We need scoring! While I would love to bring in Parise or Semin, or to have Tallon trade for a top center, I wouldn't mind Olli back if we didn't land any of those players.
He was the captain of the team! Part of his job is to take a brunt of the flak when the team isn’t performing so the rest of the team can concentrate on the task at hand. A good captain, heck a good character player, would just say “screw the coach, I’m playing for the guys in this room, the fans, and the logo on the sweater”

Instead, when he quit on Martin, he quit on everyone else. he isn’t stupid, he knew he couldn’t JUST quit on Martin. he basically said “screw the team, the fans, and the logo. I’m fed up with this coach so I’m going to be selfish and get him fired because he is treating me poorly” He put his own selfish interests ahead of the success of the team, and that is not the kind of player we want.

I can accept players who are tired, players who take a night off because they are black and blue all over, players who float because that’s their play style. But I can’t accept players who purposely quit on the team, that is unacceptable to me and should be unacceptable to everyone else here.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Pantherfan12

You're absolutely right! Except that Martin was a horrible coach for this team and wouldn't allow the players (including Olli) to perform and concentrate on the task at hand. I am not making excuses for the guy because I know I wouldn't want a person on my team and just quit because of a personal issue. I am just saying that there was a lot of bad blood and drama going on and I'm sure it wasn't as simple as black and white.. Again, I mentioned it before and I know it's one of those what-if's.... What if they did make the post season that year?? Would Cohen and Martin still be here?? Would we have done what we've done lately without that happening?

Old
06-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
You're absolutely right! Except that Martin was a horrible coach for this team and wouldn't allow the players (including Olli) to perform and concentrate on the task at hand. I am not making excuses for the guy because I know I wouldn't want a person on my team and just quit because of a personal issue. I am just saying that there was a lot of bad blood and drama going on and I'm sure it wasn't as simple as black and white.. Again, I mentioned it before and I know it's one of those what-if's.... What if they did make the post season that year?? Would Cohen and Martin still be here?? Would we have done what we've done lately without that happening?
Odds were stacked way against us that year, doesn't matter, he's paid to o out and play. It's not his job to get the coach fired. It sure as hell isn't to quit on the teammates he was captaining, the fans, or the coach. You want to flame Martin, but then ask a what if we'd made it question. While in glad with what we currently have on the team, it doesn't mean I want a guy back. Or to applaud a guy for quitting. As I said, how many players on that team didn't quit?

Old
06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
jol

Quote:
Odds were stacked way against us that year, doesn't matter, he's paid to o out and play. It's not his job to get the coach fired. It sure as hell isn't to quit on the teammates he was captaining, the fans, or the coach. You want to flame Martin, but then ask a what if we'd made it question. While in glad with what we currently have on the team, it doesn't mean I want a guy back. Or to applaud a guy for quitting. As I said, how many players on that team didn't quit?
What's the year he quit, 2007-08? Did it happened after he almost killed Zednik? Or was it one of his interviews where he admitted that there were games he didn't give his 100%?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
AaronEkbald

Can't wait to see Olli mentor Huberdeau, Markstrom, etc. Teach them the fine points of locker room isolation, coasting and how to cut out of fun-raisers early.

Close this stupid thread already.

AaronEkbald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:18 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LassieMaven View Post
Can't wait to see Olli mentor Huberdeau, Markstrom, etc. Teach them the fine points of locker room isolation, coasting and how to cut out of fun-raisers early.

Close this stupid thread already.
Lol, this made me laugh, and I hate typing "Lol".

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
What's the year he quit, 2007-08? Did it happened after he almost killed Zednik? Or was it one of his interviews where he admitted that there were games he didn't give his 100%?

JOL
Last season here, he admitted later in an interview that he quit to GR. There was a thread here about it.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:06 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post

JOL
He also had a pretty severe alcohol problem when he was with Florida, from what I heard..

He's sober now I think.