HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
showtime8

vCash: 500
So what's the direction that the Raps head into free agency then? If they dish the 8th overall pick then you have to surround whoever they get.

Is Deron Williams an option for point guard?

Old
06-06-2012, 10:30 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
So what's the direction that the Raps head into free agency then? If they dish the 8th overall pick then you have to surround whoever they get.

Is Deron Williams an option for point guard?
Doubt it. Either he'll stick to NJ or go somewhere like Dallas.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Hyperglide

I saw this at RealGM (I know so shoot me) and I was licking my chops at this pie-in-the-sky line-up. It's a longshot, but if it happened..

Quote:

IF Rudy Gay could be had for a large Salary Relief:

Toronto gets:
Rudy Gay
Andre Iguodala

Memphis gets:
Ed Davis
Gary Forbes

Philly gets:
Jose Calderon
James Johnson
Linas Kleiza
--------------

Draft Draymond Green (#37)
Sign Steve Nash

Nash/
Iggy/DeRozan
Gay/Green
Bargs/A.Johnson
Val/
The only thing I'd change is the backup SF. Don't want an unproven rookie 2nd rounder there. Maybe get a cheap vet. SF. Resign Gray and Bayless for backup C and PG respectively.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
We should have just drafted Gay/Granger/AI instead of Bargs/Arajuo/Graham.
If you're gonna do that at least do it right. I'd rather have Aldridge over Gay but I get your point. No sense in crying about bygones and don't forget hindsight is 20/20.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
IF we got Gay and Lowry, hell yes. That hypothetical Raptors team would be far closer to the playoffs, maybe even getting in at 6 or 7 given how top-heavy the East is.

also Bayless probably isn't a good target to trade because he's RFA and due for a raise. I also like him off the bench. This is where I think trading Calderon makes sense. If they could ship Calderon to the lakers, and help work out a Houston/LA trade with Gasol by taking back Martin and getting Lowry as payment for that, plus swapping picks with the Rockets.

I wish the ESPN Trade machine wasn't completely borked right now, because I had worked out a ridiculous 4-team trade that brought hte Magic and Dwight Howard into the picture, and I think it would've worked from a salary standpoint, I just can't prove it because the trade machine won't finish the deal and check it.
Hmm interesting take. So If I'm getting this right, you agree with the same thing as I do:

Toronto:
Rudy Gay

Memphis:
Ed Davis
Salary around the 3-4M region

Toronto:
Kyle Lowry
Kevin Martin

LA Lakers:
Calderon
Scola

Houston:
Pau Gasol
Toronto 1st 2013
Steve Blake?

Those don't look too bad to me. Try trade up with our 2nd rounder to get PF Andrew Nicholson.

Roll into next year with:

PG: Lowry/Bayless
SG: DeRozan/Martin
SF: Gay/Kleiza
C: Valanciunas/A. Johnson
PF: Bargnani/J. Johnson/Nicholson

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 06-06-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: stupid spelling
Old
06-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Looks to me BC is rolling the dice. He's gonna go all out to get some top tier talent here. hahahaha

Old
06-07-2012, 12:14 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Hmm interesting take. So If I'm getting this right, you agree with the same thing as I do:

Toronto:
Rudy Gay

Memphis:
Ed Davis
Salary around the 3-4M region

Toronto:
Kyle Lowry
Kevin Martin

LA Lakers:
Calderon
Scola

Houston:
Pau Gasol
Toronto 1st 2013
Steve Blake?

Those don't look too bad to me. Try trade up with our 2nd rounder to get PF Andrew Nicholson.

Roll into next year with:

PG: Lowry/Bayless
SG: DeRozan/Martin
SF: Gay/Kleiza
C: Valanciunas/A. Johnson
PF: Bargnani/J. Johnson/Nicholson
Before the Trade Machine blew up with me trying to make that essentially a 4-way trade, it appears the Raptors couldn't take back Martin/Lowry/Gay without dumping a whole lot more salary. When I tried to work the bulk of this out without involving the Lakers, Toronto came in $20m too high.

Now, conceivably Memphis could take Martin's salary, but I doubt they would think of it as a solid move to shed Gay's money and take back Martin's. Although I think it might be possible for them to pawn off the rights to OJ Mayo on the Rockets to replace Martin's scoring and they (the Grizzlies) could plug Martin into their lineup to give htem something more akin to a "proper" SG.

The thing I wonder now is a) Whether the Grizzlies want Davis when they already have Randolph for the next 3 or 4 years. and Gasol as well at the 5. and b) how it benefits them to shed Gay for Martin and Davis when they would then lack a starting SF in Gay.

Setting aside concern a), maybe they could give Memphis the #8 pick and Davis so the Grizzlies could take Perry Jones or something like that, and figure out some alter the parameters of a Lakers/Houston/Toronto trade so that is

Toronto gets Lowry, Lakers get Scola and Calderon, Rockets get Gasol and...something.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Before the Trade Machine blew up with me trying to make that essentially a 4-way trade, it appears the Raptors couldn't take back Martin/Lowry/Gay without dumping a whole lot more salary. When I tried to work the bulk of this out without involving the Lakers, Toronto came in $20m too high.

Now, conceivably Memphis could take Martin's salary, but I doubt they would think of it as a solid move to shed Gay's money and take back Martin's. Although I think it might be possible for them to pawn off the rights to OJ Mayo on the Rockets to replace Martin's scoring and they (the Grizzlies) could plug Martin into their lineup to give htem something more akin to a "proper" SG.

The thing I wonder now is a) Whether the Grizzlies want Davis when they already have Randolph for the next 3 or 4 years. and Gasol as well at the 5. and b) how it benefits them to shed Gay for Martin and Davis when they would then lack a starting SF in Gay.

Setting aside concern a), maybe they could give Memphis the #8 pick and Davis so the Grizzlies could take Perry Jones or something like that, and figure out some alter the parameters of a Lakers/Houston/Toronto trade so that is

Toronto gets Lowry, Lakers get Scola and Calderon, Rockets get Gasol and...something.
Were you trying something like this?
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7rop7so

With regards to your questions:

a.) Randolph is 30. While he is under contract for a few more years, big men over 30 don't normally age to well. A guy like Davis could add some nice depth to an already talented front court. Randolph/Davis pairing up with Gasol/Speights works for them I think.

b.) I don't think they trade Gay for Martin(like in my scenario), but rather trade Gay for depth. They reached the 2nd round without Gay, so they get salary relief, while still having the ability to add a nice complimentary piece at #8. A guy like Harkless might be a good option for them to potentially replace Gay down the road while giving them an option right now. For now, they can either have him split time with Kleiza, or use the freed up cap space to get someone in to play in that spot. It also gives them some flexibility down the draft with their own pick as they can pick a SG or PG to back up either Conley or Mayo. It opens up a ton of options for them.

I dunno, as long as we get Lowry and Gay on the Raps, I'd be happy with some combo of the trade.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Were you trying something like this?
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7rop7so

With regards to your questions:

a.) Randolph is 30. While he is under contract for a few more years, big men over 30 don't normally age to well. A guy like Davis could add some nice depth to an already talented front court. Randolph/Davis pairing up with Gasol/Speights works for them I think.

b.) I don't think they trade Gay for Martin(like in my scenario), but rather trade Gay for depth. They reached the 2nd round without Gay, so they get salary relief, while still having the ability to add a nice complimentary piece at #8. A guy like Harkless might be a good option for them to potentially replace Gay down the road while giving them an option right now. For now, they can either have him split time with Kleiza, or use the freed up cap space to get someone in to play in that spot. It also gives them some flexibility down the draft with their own pick as they can pick a SG or PG to back up either Conley or Mayo. It opens up a ton of options for them.

I dunno, as long as we get Lowry and Gay on the Raps, I'd be happy with some combo of the trade.
strange, that's pretty close to what I was trying to do, but it kept coming back that the Raptors needed to cut a crapload more salary to make it work. I didn't have Kleiza going out, but it was far more than Kleiza's worth that they were over by.

As for Martin

Yeah, i didn't really expect that the Grizzlies would want Martin. It's just that I couldn't get the Raptors to take back Martin and stay within the cap restrictions

Old
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Raps blow it again

They needed Beal or Kidd Gilchrist in the worst way their last three weeks insures the Raps mediocrity will continue. Typical pick up's for Colangelo who loves Soft Out Side shooters.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Apparently Dion Waiters has cancelled all of his pre-draft workouts as he has been promised a high selection from a team.

06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
They needed Beal or Kidd Gilchrist in the worst way their last three weeks insures the Raps mediocrity will continue. Typical pick up's for Colangelo who loves Soft Out Side shooters.
Me thinks BC will make a big trade. It's do or die for him.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Apparently Dion Waiters has cancelled all of his pre-draft workouts as he has been promised a high selection from a team.
Seriously?

This smells like a Charlotte Bobcats type move.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
thatshype

I've been a fan of Iguodala for quite some time, so I'd be happy to pick him up. I think he'd fit in nicely with what Valenciunas is supposed to bring to this team, and take alot of the pressure off DeRozan. DeRozan could learn alot from Iggy's defensive game.

Since Iguodala hasn't been a premier scorer lately, getting Rudy Gay simultaneously would be clutch. A longshot, I know...but that would be quite an interesting team to watch.

Quote:
IF Rudy Gay could be had for a large Salary Relief:

Toronto gets:
Rudy Gay
Andre Iguodala

Memphis gets:
Ed Davis
Gary Forbes

Philly gets:
Jose Calderon
James Johnson
Linas Kleiza
--------------

Draft Draymond Green (#37)
Sign Steve Nash

Nash/
Iggy/DeRozan
Gay/Green
Bargs/A.Johnson
Val/
Even without signing Nash I'd be excited for that team.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

The one thing in that Igoudala/Gay situation that I don't particularly like is losing James Johnson. I really think that he's a key cog for Coach Casey because of his versatility.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:57 PM
thatshype

You don't think the defensive strength of Iggy would help shield that loss, though? It would definitely cover up Derozan's defensive weakness, and I think (?) that Iggy could defend the SF spot effectively too. We would lose a bit of defense in our big men, but hopefully Valenciunas would soften that blow too.

And I can't confirm it myself, but I hear Gay isn't a bad defender either.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:43 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I think something that we need to consider, is who is more likely to stay in Toronto when their contract is up? Rudy Gay or Andre Igoudala? Something I hope BC considers too. Either way, those guys would be superstars here.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I think something that we need to consider, is who is more likely to stay in Toronto when their contract is up? Rudy Gay or Andre Igoudala? Something I hope BC considers too. Either way, those guys would be superstars here.
Superstars?

I like both players, but you and I must have a far different perception on who is, and who is not, a superstar.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Eytinge

Neither are what I consider superstars tbh. I'd say Gay is a all star player and AI is a great defensive wing whose offense has dwindled.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
helicon1

Quote:
I think Memphis would want to ideally want to shed salary more than anything.

I would think Davis + 8th + a guy with a bit of salary(Bayless?) for Gay would be somewhat fair. They get rid of a ton of salary, add some quality depth at PG and PF, and add an 8th for a guy to replace Gay.

We get a guy that will make a big impact for us right away.

Considering the LAL/Houston potential trade. I believe what you proposed with us taking on salary makes sense. Kevin Martin would probably come back our way with Lowry. I'm not sure what we'd give. If we trade the 8th, we don't have a whole lot to give. Not alot of prospects/picks to give.

Question, to get Lowry, would you give next years 1st round pick?
I don't really see that as fair at all. With the luxury tax change cap space is at even more of a premium. If we're providing them with all that space there's no need to include the pick. If it's Kleza+ed+calderon, then yeah you're probably including the pick. But Bayless+Davis? No way. Gay is a very good player, but one being payed an elite salary.

I'd look into getting Lowry for sure though. If we're getting Gay then go ahead and give up next years pick. Preferably with some protection (top 3) but I don't think there's much of a chance of them being in the lottery next season.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
helicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Neither are what I consider superstars tbh. I'd say Gay is a all star player and AI is a great defensive wing whose offense has dwindled.
No, I don't think so either. I'm warming up to the idea of Gay, but I'd still be pretty hesitant about adding Iggy. If it's the pipe dream scenario above then sure (though I think Derozan should replace Johnson). But if you're getting only one Gay is the guy.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I mean a superstar here. These guys are pretty good scorers and it's something we haven't had in Toronto since VC.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
I mean a superstar here. These guys are pretty good scorers and it's something we haven't had in Toronto since VC.
I hear Bosh was a pretty good scorer when he was here too.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:30 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Andre Igoudala is not what anyone would consider a pretty good scorer. He is, at best, a mediocre scorer.

He offers his value in other facets of the game.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Eytinge

Rudy gay gets paid 80 million? What was Memphis thinking with that contract.

Closed Thread