HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jarret Stoll appreciation thread

Old
06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
The Jarret Stoll appreciation thread

Most of us, including me, were already spending his cap hit on a free agent(s) this offseason and homeboy has had a great playoffs.

Ccoring big goals, great defensive plays, big hits, winning faceoffs, and dating models and actresses, it doesn't suck to be him right now.

If the Kings pull this off, I hope he scores the game winning goal.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

vCash: 500
Hated on him during the season, but he's been a great 3rd liner in the postseason

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:33 PM
willie

He has been good (albeit with an occasional defensive lapse) this post-season but I still don't want him back. I think his cap hit can be better spent elsewhere. Loktionov is ready to be a regular. I also really want Holloway to be given a fighting chance to crack the lineup.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:56 PM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

I think stoll has been pretty good in the playoffs(although taking stupid penalties and his penalty kill had to bail him out) and has some huge hits this postseason. I would like to see lokti take the spot next year. Kopitar has gotten good at taking the big faceoffs and I think lokti can (maybe) provide a little more offense then stoll.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

I am on the Stoll bandwagon and would welcome him back in a heart beat.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:39 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

This thread needs more Herby.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:50 PM
sueroe

I have always liked what Stoll brought to the game in his defensive play and faceoff skills but he has been an incredible playoff performer. i haven't seen any of the nbc production but cbc and tsn have given him major props for his play.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:07 AM
SLang

Stoll is not only slotted in perfectly as the third line center due to his skillset, but he also appears to be the consummate teammate in accepting that role and I think the other players feed off that. It's an important intangible.

Lokti may be capable of regular duty but he's not even close to being able to replace Stoll in that role, and I am not sure he ever will be.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:43 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

meh

Always liked stoll. Never had a problem with him except for his dumb penalties.

Solid all-around player. Played well in a king uniform and will always be remembered.

Wont miss him because I feel Loktionov is now ready.

But would welcome him back at 2 years 6 mil.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Fishhead

Stoll will be re-upped if the price is fair. The simple fact is that if Stoll isn't retained, we are just going to get another similar player to replace him.

Loktionov cannot replace Stoll, they are different players. The writing is on the wall with Loktionov. It's wing or a different organization for him, the Richards/Carter acquisitions pretty much sealed that fate. Furthermore, if King keeps it up, I see Lokti moved during the offseason. He deserves a chance to flourish somewhere, and the Kings no longer have room.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
The writing is on the wall with Loktionov. It's wing or a different organization for him, the Richards/Carter acquisitions pretty much sealed that fate. Furthermore, if King keeps it up, I see Lokti moved during the offseason. He deserves a chance to flourish somewhere, and the Kings no longer have room.
Agreed ... but what can we get from Detroit for him ?

He's a poor man's Pavel Datsyuk anyways, so what better place for him to go and become the next best.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
This thread needs more Herby.
Why the need to call me out?

He was woefully miscast for 3 seasons as a 2nd line center which was unfair to him, but he didn't exactly play well either. He was awful this season in every role he played, terrible as a 3rd line center, terrible as a 2nd line center again when Richards was out and terrible as a 2nd line winger.

I have already said his play in the playoffs has been extraordinary, especially based on how awful he has been his entire time here.

I have already said I am a bit torn on what to do with both him and Penner, I feel like you should reward and try and keep the team together (should they win the cup), but at the same time you can't fall in love with guys based on a hot playoff run, you have to take in the entire body of work, and Penner and especially Stoll's entire body of work doesn't warrant each signing contracts similar to what they have now.

If Penner and Stoll are willing to accept one year deals and prove they are committed to playing well and putting in an effort for a full season then we can talk long term contract, at the same time, if someone is willing to throw money at them based on what they have done in these past 18 games then more power to them. The Kings have their best player and their captain to sign in the next couple of years, and with an uncertain CBA and cap it's hard to commit so much money to guys who did nothing most of te year.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:27 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I have already said I am a bit torn on what to do with both him and Penner, I feel like you should reward and try and keep the team together (should they win the cup), but at the same time you can't fall in love with guys based on a hot playoff run, you have to take in the entire body of work, and Penner and especially Stoll's entire body of work doesn't warrant each signing contracts similar to what they have now.
This x100. This is exactly how I feel. For me, signing Penner comes down to one thing: whether or not we can somehow sign Parise. If that happens, bye bye Penner. If not, then I wouldn't mind signing him to a 1 yr contract at a discount but that's it. Keep in mind we already have Brown, Gagne, King, Richardson, and Clifford locked up for next year at LW. I wouldn't mind seeing Penner stay and go Brown-Penner/Gagne-Penner/Gagne-King down the left side but again, only if Parise signs elsewhere.

As for Stoll, no thanks. He was ****ing dreadful this year and even when he's been better, the amounts of penalties and dumb plays he makes pains me to watch. Tell Lokti to bulk up and give him his final chance or go to UFA but I really would rather not have Stoll back.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:22 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
He has been good (albeit with an occasional defensive lapse) this post-season but I still don't want him back. I think his cap hit can be better spent elsewhere. Loktionov is ready to be a regular. I also really want Holloway to be given a fighting chance to crack the lineup.
I disagree. Loktionov is nowhere near Stoll's level.

I wish Gagne would retire and free up his salary space.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I disagree. Loktionov is nowhere near Stoll's level.

I wish Gagne would retire and free up his salary space.
Stoll is going to get overpaid because he has actually had a solid post-season. Look at Ville Leino, same thing happened with him. Someone is going to give Stoll and Penner more money and years than the Kings will be able to.

We don't know what the cap situation is going to be like, the CBA is up, there could be a lockout. The Kings have a ton of money committed for a long time to guys like Doughty, Richards, Kopitar and Carter (which is a good thing), yet will still need to give huge raises to Quick and Brown in the next couple of years. You are looking at probably 7 for Quick and 5 for Brown.

The Kings can't just throw money around like a drunken sailor. It's tough to potentially say goodbye to guys like Stoll and Penner who have had nice playoff runs, but you really need to think rationally and long term. Look at the NY Giants, they said goodbye to Mario Manningham who made the biggest play in the Super Bowl, it's tough but there is only so much $$ to go around.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Stoll is great but realize these are the playoffs.

Offensively his play has dropped. Luckily the Kings have other players to get on the scoresheet now, Stoll is working hard, so it will go unnoticed. As soon as the regular season starts again, its annoying again and we cant expect another playoff run like this year.

For the right price I have no problem to keep him but he will demand at least the same salary and someone is going to pay him that.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:15 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Why the need to call me out?
It was a light-hearted comment given how much you called Stoll out during the regular season.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It was a light-hearted comment given how much you called Stoll out during the regular season.
Because he stunk, he was by far the Kings worst player in the regular season. Do you disagree?

He has done very well in the playoffs and I have said it in numerous posts on this board.

I don't hate Jarret Stoll for the sake of hating Jarret Stoll.

Edit: Penner may have been as bad as Stoll in the regular season, it's a toss-up, but Stoll's stupid penalties probably push him above Penner.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Because he stunk, he was by far the Kings worst player in the regular season. Do you disagree?.
I am guessing you mentally blocked the horrid memories of Hunter and Moreau.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Old
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I think Stoll will be back, win or lose.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
While true, it doesn't necessarily make Herby's point moot. His point about not falling in love with a player based on a playoff streak is a good one.

Stoll and Penner are my playoff heroes....but so are just about all the other Kings. If this team wins it all I will appreciate ALL of them forever. But then again I'm not the GM (you guys should be thankful for that ).

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Even if Stoll doesnt re-sign, which i think he will, no chance Loktionov takes his place, the guy just isnt ready. Either the Kings go after someone similar in free agency, or Lewis will play 3rd line C and will learn how to become a true shutdown centreman freeing up alll the top 6 for offence

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:37 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I was also very hard on Stoll all season long, but his play in the Playoffs has made me shut my mouth. He stepped up when it mattered the most and I actually would like to see him re-singed if the price is right. He hasn't taken too many bad penalties lately and his aggressive play has been quite beneficial.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:30 PM
DaAnimal

Hated him so much during the regular season.

He's certainly changed my mind during the post season.

I wont be against it if he is resigned at a home discount. I mean if we can make it this far, imagine what we can do for the next 2 years if we kept the same roster.

People say Lotki is ready but I just don't think he is.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote