HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Problem with skate sizing

Old
06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
BigDuke6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Yea, I got the feeling they were a bit big when they started wobbling when I was flying down the ice. Hmm, I'll look into it. I wish I could trial these skates :p The whole "Sharpen them, no returns" sucks.
I ordered the 12Ks just to see how they fit. My local shop only carries Bauer, so after trying the Bauer line on I still wasn't completely satisfied. My plan was to order the Reeboks, if I didn't like the fit I would send them back. I was pleasantly surprised by the fit and really just happened to luck out.

If the Reeboks didn't fit I was going to have to pick a day and make a pretty long drive to a shop with a larger selection.

I will say that ordering the Reeboks wasn't a complete shot in the dark, more of an educated guess after talking to a bunch of people, and reading up on them.

I was also experiencing some wobble in the One60s when skating pretty fast. I think the One60s were good skates, but the fit wasn't a good one for me - too wide and deep.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:53 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Yea, I got the feeling they were a bit big when they started wobbling when I was flying down the ice. Hmm, I'll look into it. I wish I could trial these skates :p The whole "Sharpen them, no returns" sucks.
Why would it suck? Would you buy skates that someone else sharpened and skated/sweated in?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:39 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Why would it suck? Would you buy skates that someone else sharpened and skated/sweated in?
People have returned far odder things in the past.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:26 AM
AIREAYE

Doesn't mean it's right or that they're entitled to it. Somebody messed up.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Doesn't mean it's right or that they're entitled to it. Somebody messed up.
Technically you can skate on them as long as you don't sharpen them :p At least that's some of the hockey shops I've seen. Anywho, I tried on a pair of Reebok 9Ks and the size 9 was yet again a little too small in the toe. I wish there was seriously a pair of size 9.25's out there.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
AIREAYE

Haha, good luck skating on them un-sharpened. As a consumer, go with what the store says on returns.

Keep in mind that post-bake and break-in as well as in your knees bent position, your heel naturally moves back a bit so maybe the 9 could work.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Haha, good luck skating on them un-sharpened. As a consumer, go with what the store says on returns.

Keep in mind that post-bake and break-in as well as in your knees bent position, your heel naturally moves back a bit so maybe the 9 could work.
Maybe. I tried them on and kicked my heel back and it was close. I'm wondering if certain brands have a tiny bit more space. Maybe I'll try some CCMs or Eastons next. I feel like the slightly large Bauers are killing my skating potential a little.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:43 PM
esidebill

Ended up going with the Vapor X3.0. I tried the 4.0, but they were actually rather painful. I'm not sure if it's because it's a more rigid boot, but it was pinching my foot a bit in some areas where as the 3.0 fit more like a glove.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Technically you can skate on them as long as you don't sharpen them :p At least that's some of the hockey shops I've seen. Anywho, I tried on a pair of Reebok 9Ks and the size 9 was yet again a little too small in the toe. I wish there was seriously a pair of size 9.25's out there.
No you really can't, that's why they use the 'not sharpened' rule. They don't want skates back that anyone has skated on. I've never heard of a hockey shop that would let you return a skate that has been skated on, because they can't legally resell it as a new skate.

Take it from someone who has very odd, very difficult to fit feet. You will never know what really fits your foot well or the best, until you try on a lot of skates. After you try on a few, you might think you have one that fits good. But once you try on a bunch more, you might realize that the first one really didn't and there are much better skates out there for your feet. Kinda a 'you don't know what you don't know' kinda thing, until you've tried on a lot of different brands and models.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:14 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
So I have a pair of Bauer One60s I use for a rec. league. They don't give my blisters and generally don't hurt. The problem is, I feel like I have too much room/ankle wobble in them. This was confirmed by a skate shop employee as well. When I went from my 9.5 to 9, it felt like the 9 was too cramped. Are there any skates that would fit more the 9.25 range? Any suggestions?
Get the 9 and have them stretched/punched

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:13 PM
AIREAYE

Stretching/punching are last resort tools, no need to consider them immediately.