HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"With the 20th pick, the Philadelphia Flyers selects..."

Old
06-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Totally Radivojevic

vCash: 500
Esa Lindell is getting no hype. Dude is the highest scoring draft eligible defenseman in the HISTORY of Finnish Junior A. Hell, he's 41st all time in PPG including forwards, and the only D-man in the top 100.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:28 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
Esa Lindell is getting no hype. Dude is the highest scoring draft eligible defenseman in the HISTORY of Finnish Junior A. Hell, he's 41st all time in PPG including forwards, and the only D-man in the top 100.
http://ridinthepine2.wordpress.com/2...0-esa-lindell/

Quote:
Lindell is currently ranked as the 12th best European skater by Central Scouting, and while it’s highly unlikely he goes in the first round, with his size alone, he is an interesting case for a mid-round selection. Despite his size, though, Lindell has quite a bit to work on in terms of his defensive game. He often gets lazy in puck battles, and could certainly play with much more force. If he were to actually play to this size, he could be a physical threat on the blueline. Like any young defenseman, he needs to improve his defensive-zone consistency and work on his decision making. As he continues to add size over the next couple of years, if he learns the nuances of the defensive game, he could be a real steal.

Of course, the most intriguing aspect of Lindell is his offensive stats this past season playing for the Jokerit U20 in Finland’s Jr. A league. In 48 games, Lindell netted 21 goals and added 30 assists, eclipsing a point-per-game pace. Of course, stats alone do not tell the whole story. Lindell played on one of the top teams in the league, and his defense partner, Otso Rantakari, is also ranked by Central Scouting for this year’s draft. Yes, he’s in the perfect environment to tally points, but the fact is that, at least offensively, he continued to do what was expected all season long. He was also one of Finland’s top defensemen at the WJC-U18 just last month, picking up six assists in seven games. While still quite raw, he has the size and skill set to become an NHL’er, he just needs to continue to refine his defensive game. Next year will be a big step forward as he’ll likely make the jump to the top men’s league in Finland, the SM-liiga.

Would be a solid 3rd round pick. Doubt the Flyers get him though. Just doesnt seem like the type of player the Flyers take in the 3rd round. It will either be an overage QMJHL/WHL player or a shutdown defender/center. Im pretty sure the past like 5 drafts that has always been our 3rd/4th round pick type of player (well except cousins who it looks like Homer did a good job picking out)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Would be a solid 3rd round pick. Doubt the Flyers get him though. Just doesnt seem like the type of player the Flyers take in the 3rd round. It will either be an overage QMJHL/WHL player or a shutdown defender/center. Im pretty sure the past like 5 drafts that has always been our 3rd/4th round pick type of player (well except cousins who it looks like Homer did a good job picking out)
In '09 they did take Bertilsson in the 3rd, who put up really good numbers for a 17 y.o defenseman in Swedish Juniors. Then 6 years ago they took Lehtivuori in the 4th, an offensive minded Finnish D-man. He's one of only a few Finns drafted in the last decade, though.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:21 AM
whskybarJM

I wish we could pull off a close to nashville suter and weber type draft one year. I cant even remember if they have a 2nd rd pick this year. It is the flyers so I will assume thats a no

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:38 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whskybarJM View Post
I wish we could pull off a close to nashville suter and weber type draft one year. I cant even remember if they have a 2nd rd pick this year. It is the flyers so I will assume thats a no
Nope. We dealt two of them this season, to get Kubina and to get Grossmann IIRC.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

so if Holmgren goes way off the board with the 20th overall does he get a free pass?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'm not convinced we are going to have this pick come draft time.

06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

probably going to trade it to someone for someones 4th line grinder with SIZE

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:12 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
This this this! Homer isn't waiting for some unknown defensive prospect with the 20th pick to develop for the next 4 or 5 years. Been saying it for a while that I would put money on not having our 1st by the time its our turn to pick.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:24 PM
ORYX

I'm not sold on Matt Finn. I watched him play 8 times this season in the OHL, while he was a player you didnt notice on the ice (Good being a d-man of his style), he was never impressive.

I'm no scout and don't claim to be, but I just don't see what makes him so special. He played no better then other d-men who aren't ranked until the 100's. Personally, I will be disappointed if the Flyers draft him at 20.

Also, he did not have a very good combine according to the results.

Tom Wilson on the other hand placed in the top 10 in almost all the events. This to me can means two things: 1. He is an elite athlete 2. What you see is likely what you get.

If there is minimal room for athletic improvement, then who's to say his game will get much better? He is intriging though, and If it wasn't for the need to draft a d-man, this guy would fit the Flyer mold quite nicely. Watching him several times, he is not flashy, but often overpowers players with his style and strength, isnt't afraid to go to all area's of the ice and plays a very gritty game.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he is NHL ready at age 18, though his physical performance at the combine does indicate his body may very well be.

I'd personally like to see them trade up to get a d-man just outside the top ten, perhaps the 12-15 range. I feel there is quite a drop in talent from the 12ish spot to the 20 in terms of D-men.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Same. I think they will end up trading for defense.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:18 PM
facts

Quote:
I agree, even if you look at the mock drafts we have a different selection in all of thise. Agreed a defenseman is the top priority but this team is never patient with d choosing established over promise. I see the following. 1 a package deal to move up tom the creme 2. BPA or 3. deal for a roster player, that said our selection in the 20's have been brilliant.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Taylor_14

I can't believe this hasnt been done yet....

With the 20th pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select....

Whoops! I forget...

We all know how that pick turned out for us.

Taylor_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
That would probably be a good thing.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
That would probably be a good thing.
Unless Steve Eminger (or a similar player) is coming back.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Unless Steve Eminger (or a similar player) is coming back.
I go blind with rage every time the Eminger trade is brought up, especially since I was adamant that the Flyers should've drafted John Carlson (or Jakub Markstrom) with the pick. Hey, there's this big, mobile defenseman with a RH shot available for us to take at #28 in the first round, and defense is a position of serious need within the organization. Hmmm... what should we do? Oh, I know, let's trade the pick for a first round bust of a defenseman who the Capitals would be happy to unload for a bag of pucks. God, we're so smart!

*Five months later/12 games into the season*

Oh, wow, Steve Eminger really is that terrible. Time to "fix" the mistake by making another trade and acquiring Matt Carle while hoping that none of the prospects taken at or around #28 go on to become impact NHL players.

Woops.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I want Ceci but he won't fall

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:12 PM
FLYguy3911

Defenseman always seem to fall on draft day. Maybe not Ceci, but I have a feeling a quality D-man will be there at 20. Whether we still have the pick or not is another question.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
hockeyfreak7

20th overall pick..........

"We have a trade to announce...."

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:54 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Would be awesome if Trouba somehow fell to us.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
Would be awesome if Trouba somehow fell to us.
You really can't go wrong with any of the defensemen projected for the first round. They all have considerably high upside. At worst, you're looking at a middle pairing guy and at best, you're looking at top two pairing amongst the defensemen in this draft.

Trouba would be a good choice, but a guy like Brady Skjei is just as well rounded. Ludvig Bystrom is another guy (he's the guy I'm very high on). Slater Koekkoek seems to be popular with everyone on this board, but my concerns with him are simply that nasty shoulder operation he had (torn labrum in his shoulder which will affect movement of his arm). Honestly, the Flyers can't go wrong with choosing any of the defensemen. My concern is that they do something stupid and draft a guy like Tom Wilson because all what they see is size.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Hoping, should we still have our pick, that Oli Maatta SOMEHOW falls to 20th.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You really can't go wrong with any of the defensemen projected for the first round. They all have considerably high upside. At worst, you're looking at a middle pairing guy and at best, you're looking at top two pairing amongst the defensemen in this draft.

Trouba would be a good choice, but a guy like Brady Skjei is just as well rounded. Ludvig Bystrom is another guy (he's the guy I'm very high on). Slater Koekkoek seems to be popular with everyone on this board, but my concerns with him are simply that nasty shoulder operation he had (torn labrum in his shoulder which will affect movement of his arm). Honestly, the Flyers can't go wrong with choosing any of the defensemen. My concern is that they do something stupid and draft a guy like Tom Wilson because all what they see is size.
Flyers' Q scouts still high on Alexandros Soumakis, despite him tailing off at the end of the season?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Flyers' Q scouts still high on Alexandros Soumakis, despite him tailing off at the end of the season?
Absolutely. They believe they can get him later in the draft though. The one forward name I've heard come up who Flyers brass really like though is in the OHL and his name is Seth Griffith. They absolutely LOVE his game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I hope ceci falls good solid RHD thats gor size as well, i do not want tom wilson which so many people have us taking in mocks, Anyone think they pick hyka in third round?

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote