HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Martin - which teams could be interested?

Old
06-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

vCash: 500
Paul Martin - which teams could be interested?

I want him out of Pittsburgh to make room for Simon Despres and make cap-room available for upgrades elsewhere.

For the purpose of this thread, only draft picks/prospects are interesting as returns. NO roster player/salary.

This thread is simply to see which teams could be interested (most teams feeling a need for a top4 D-man I'd suppose), and to have fans of such teams state what could be fair/reasonable returns.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:54 AM
DJOpus

I'm betting CBJ or NYI.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:03 AM
JoemAvs

Avs if they strike out on Suter, Jackman, Garrison and probably even Carle.

Don't expect something of value for him. Maybe a 3rd or sth like that at most. Everyone knows that the Pens want to dump him.

If we go by the Pens fans reactions to Martin in their gameday threads last year, you probably have to give up your 1st to move him.

But looking at the FA pool this year, you will probably get this 3rd rounder from someone. Maybe more. But hopefully the Avs dont pay more than a 3rd.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:09 AM
StuckOutHere

What exactly happened to this guy? Thought he was great in NJ, then he had that injury in his walk year and was never quite the same. A product of that teams system perhaps? Or was there a drop off in talent in general?

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
What exactly happened to this guy? Thought he was great in NJ, then he had that injury in his walk year and was never quite the same. A product of that teams system perhaps? Or was there a drop off in talent in general?
He was great in NJ. For much of last season he was very good on the Pens too - just not really the kind of player we needed. Basically we bought the wrong type of player after having already gotten Michalek in that free agency. For lovers of advanced statistics/CORSI, Martin has been demon for most of his career.

This season we've had all our top4 D-men except for Letang play well below par. Guys like Michalek and Orpik were hardly better than Martin, and ultimately I believe it comes down to a crappy defensive system and the defenders on the Pens not being very complementary on the pairings. Martin has always been a non-physical anticipation kind of player and never been an offensive behemouth. So you gotta pair him with someone who can help him out physically, but most the time he played with Michalek who is a shut down D-man who is also non-physical. It was better with Letang, but that duo suffers some with size, and when they were together Mickalek and Orpik were simply rough together.

Individually speaking, Martin is a top pairing D-man in the right scenario. I have no doubt about that. For instance if Nashville cannot retain Suter, Martin will be dynamite with Weber.

But this is not to say that I'd be expecting a major return at all. I just think GM's will have a longer memory than simply this past season.

Last edited by Tender Rip: 06-08-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:28 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

I wouldn't expect Martin to have any value on HF, not the way Pens fans have shredded him this year. In reality, probably a few teams would be interested and he would be very effective for them, depending maybe on the system and his responsibilities.

His season, while disappointing in many ways, was not the disaster some seem to think and it wouldn't be the worst idea for Shero to keep him on the team and let him build up some value with solid play.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I'm betting CBJ or NYI.
No sir.

CBJ don't need to spend, and don't need to add a d-man with Martin's skill-set.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Kershaw

New Jersey when he gets bought out.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:50 AM
jeromeo87

Maybe Minnesota? They don't have a lot of money at all tied up in their defense right now.

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:51 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

I could see Tampa interested if the price is right.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
New Jersey when he gets bought out.
LOL. There's no way Paul Martin gets bought out. He's legitimate top-4 D-man on a decent (not great, but not massively overpaid either) deal.

Penguins will get solid return for him if they move him. He's a lot better and a lot more valuable than people here make him sound.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I could see Tampa interested if the price is right.
Richard Panik + #50 pick this year?

Old
06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I think Martin is going to need to play his way out of his funk before NHL teams will want to add him and his (current) cap hit to their rosters, particularly if Pittsburgh is taking back minimal or zero cap space in the deal. Much can change, mind you, if we're looking at a rollback or other shenanigans stemming from the new CBA.

Suspect he's a Penguin for at least a few months into the new CBA.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Don't expect something of value for him. Maybe a 3rd or sth like that at most. Everyone knows that the Pens want to dump him.
Pens fans want to dump him. Big difference to the actual organisation wanting to dump him. I have not heard anything that would actually suggest they're shopping him. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's not going anywhere - and it wouldn't be because they can't find a trade partner.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:03 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Richard Panik + #50 pick this year?
I'd rather trade one of our earlier 2nds and a lesser prospect.

But yeah, something around that I'd be cool with.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
LOL. There's no way Paul Martin gets bought out. He's legitimate top-4 D-man on a decent (not great, but not massively overpaid either) deal.

Penguins will get solid return for him if they move him. He's a lot better and a lot more valuable than people here make him sound.
I'd be very happy with a third round pick. In the right system he's a good defenseman. I do think many teams will be interested because they know the Pens want to deal him so they won't have to give up much.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I'd rather trade one of our earlier 2nds and a lesser prospect.

But yeah, something around that I'd be cool with.
I could see Martin being dynamite in Tampa, though I don't know what their defense looks like at the moment.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Avs if they strike out on Suter, Jackman, Garrison and probably even Carle.

If we go by the Pens fans reactions to Martin in their gameday threads last year, you probably have to give up your 1st to move him.

But looking at the FA pool this year, you will probably get this 3rd rounder from someone. Maybe more. But hopefully the Avs dont pay more than a 3rd.
We have enough of mediocre defensmen who aren't overpaid.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I could see Martin being dynamite in Tampa
I agree, I think he would fit the system very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
though I don't know what their defense looks like at the moment.
It's pretty bad, we basically need 2 top4 guys.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:20 AM
wilfred

Ottawa could be interested

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I do think someone will take him. The Pens are going to have to be patient though. Martin is more of a fallback option if/when teams miss out on UFA's. The down season last year will certainly scare off a few teams but I doubt he undid all the good things he's done in his career in that small amount of time and he didn't play badly all season. It was just a couple rough stretches. I fully believe from watching him that he's still a good player and can be a very good top 4 D in the right system. Just hasn't fit the Pens system as well as we hoped and we have guys like Despres and Morrow waiting in the wings. We couldn't trade him if we didn't have those type of prospects.

I think his value is just okay. I could see a future 2nd round pick or B-Level prospect being swapped for him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:51 AM
wej20

I do think Tampa makes the most sense. Martin's no world beater but he'll at least be able to take some of the responsibility off Hedman.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I do think someone will take him. The Pens are going to have to be patient though. Martin is more of a fallback option if/when teams miss out on UFA's. The down season last year will certainly scare off a few teams but I doubt he undid all the good things he's done in his career in that small amount of time and he didn't play badly all season. It was just a couple rough stretches. I fully believe from watching him that he's still a good player and can be a very good top 4 D in the right system. Just hasn't fit the Pens system as well as we hoped and we have guys like Despres and Morrow waiting in the wings. We couldn't trade him if we didn't have those type of prospects.

I think his value is just okay. I could see a future 2nd round pick or B-Level prospect being swapped for him.
What has changed since he was one of the most sought after free-agents a couple years ago? One bad season? IMO Penguins fans are being far too critical of Martin. He was +9 with 22 even strength points playing the toughest minutes on your defence. If that's an off year for him I think just about any team in the league would take him.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
66-29-33

Martin for a 1st and good prospect, top 4 Dmen are worth a lot in today's NHL, anyone who thinks Pens get a bad deal because Pens fans want him gone are out to lunch and need a reality check.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I'm betting CBJ or NYI.
Why CBJ?

They have Wiz, J. Johnson, Tyutin, Methot all locked in long term, Nikitin is an RFA and seemed to have a good year, and a decent crop of D prospects ready to graduate.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote