HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 09:23 PM
BK201

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
The radio?
Hahaha I'm a little out of it right now, i'd listen I already listen to Rome and his baseball/ basketball talk.

I'd also love to see something like Rogers 22 pic it up. Thats mainly what I was thinking.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Melnyks Mirage
Next year again...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Need more Simmer and please get rid of Kurt. The man is a clown like Kulka...

I like Terry as well. The guy has a great opinion and doesn't back down from Lee...
Kurt is pretty good. He doesn't have a whiny high voice like Simpletson and doesn't bring up NHL guys that were last relevant when people were surfing BBSes. Simpson at 7-8 is great. I can listen to TGOR 6-7 getting ready for work then switch to CFRA/Live 88.5 while he caterwauls for an hour then get back to the big boys when Pierre McGuire comes on.

As for Melon's Son coming back, turned off the radio immediately...last thing I need to hear is about he and "Dirty Dan" McFool are the kings of the airwaves and his Thanksgiving shenanigans...Team 1200 should just give up on that 6-7 slot. The only time it was half-decent was when AJ Jakubec and some other schmo were talking NHL 7-10 for a while. That was freaking fantastic.

Terry Marcotte is the man. He's mellow, assertive and althrough he pretty much constantly toes the Senators party line (Boring boring boring, Ottawa's system is exciting exciting exciting even though if Ottawa played a defensive system he'd say the same thing) and he has the maturity/swaggah of someone there a long time.

Now if they could turf Jason York and replace him with someone that could stay on topic for oh...five minutes, the station would be almost perfect!

Old
06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Melnyks Mirage
Next year again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
what happened to jungle?

Jungle went off on one of his usual rants about how ALfredsson is the devil, the SEnators are bush and Edmonton is the end of the world and he was finally shown the door. Don't miss him at all.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:52 PM
ZSensFan

Kurt Stoodley is truly the worst radio person I have ever heard, I honestly change the channel if I hear him, it's just weird that he was let on the air. Not to be mean, but he just is not likable at all.

Simpson is awesome, York is good for his perspective, and you can tell he's a good guy. Marcotte is ok, but sometimes comes across as too much of a know-it-all.

McGuire is great, but obviously can't be gold every day when he is on about 8 million radio shows a day it seems, I'm happy the Team has him. Getting rid of Jungle was a great call, now the station can finally grow up and be a real sports radio station (I hope).

Old
06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I like Simpson, but damn he name drops worse than McGuire ever was.

And he even goes into Liam Maguire territory - name dropping his buddies and their kids.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Larionov

Every time Pierre Maguire comes on the radio, my 15 year old son rolls his eyes, and immediately does his best impersonation - "When I was golfing with Mario last summer, he told me..."

Old
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
Every time Pierre Maguire comes on the radio, my 15 year old son rolls his eyes, and immediately does his best impersonation - "When I was golfing with Mario last summer, he told me..."
Thats part of being the "Insider". You name drop. Talk about your past. Your conversations etc.

Thats the reasons those guys go on the radio.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:27 PM
ZSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Thats part of being the "Insider". You name drop. Talk about your past. Your conversations etc.

Thats the reasons those guys go on the radio.
Exactly, I would much rather hear that than someone who has no insider access, I can get random sports talk from any of my friends or the drunk at the end of the bar

Old
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Pierre's the best part of the morning show.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Looks like Phil Melanson is back at the station.

Hosting a new mma/boxing show on Thursday nights.
No offense to Showkiller, Mike Sutherland or Kulka with this one, but…

How does one go from being fired/laid-off to back on the air in a matter of weeks?

a) Does the station fire/lay them off and then when a new show idea comes up, or the 20/20’s in Mike Sutherland’s case, do they just go to their list of fired/laid-off people and bring them back?

b) Does the station just say something like…”We can’t afford you 5 days per week, but if you come up with a good idea, we’ll hire you back for a few hours per week”?

c) Do the fired/laid-off people basically go back to the station begging for something, anything?

Also, about the MMA show…didn’t they already try that it the past and it was cancelled?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the lay-off process, nor have I ever been laid-off, so please excuse me if my questions are idiotic

Old
06-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
No offense to Showkiller, Mike Sutherland or Kulka with this one, but…

How does one go from being fired/laid-off to back on the air in a matter of weeks?

a) Does the station fire/lay them off and then when a new show idea comes up, or the 20/20’s in Mike Sutherland’s case, do they just go to their list of fired/laid-off people and bring them back?

b) Does the station just say something like…”We can’t afford you 5 days per week, but if you come up with a good idea, we’ll hire you back for a few hours per week”?

c) Do the fired/laid-off people basically go back to the station begging for something, anything?

Also, about the MMA show…didn’t they already try that it the past and it was cancelled?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the lay-off process, nor have I ever been laid-off, so please excuse me if my questions are idiotic
It's been more than a few weeks. More like 3 months. They probably sign to a cheaper contract.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
otown

Great guest on Sportscall this AM- Declan Hill talking about corruption in soccer.
His book is The Fix- Organized Crime and Soccer. Hopefully the interview will be posted on the website.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:27 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Great guest on Sportscall this AM- Declan Hill talking about corruption in soccer.
His book is The Fix- Organized Crime and Soccer. Hopefully the interview will be posted on the website.

That was eye opening.Excellent interview.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:48 AM
sens4life
#GotHamburger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Another interview that was probably influenced by Prime Time Sports. Declan Hill has been on repeatedly, and as late as last week.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Melnyks Mirage
Next year again...

Brother got a White Sands certificate for pointing out you need to compare all-time defensemen across eras and that they CAN be compared using metrics such as points to peers and dominance vs. peers etc. Terry Marcotte got all ANGRYFACE and "U CANOT COMPAR!!!!!!1111!!" but we got a coupon anyway so...

Old
06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
sens4life
#GotHamburger?

Anyone know where I can hear the eurocup game on my iphone?

Old
06-08-2012, 01:50 PM
DJB

vCash: 964
Anyone have the breakdown of Tim Murray's interview from yesterday? It was apparently quite telling on draft and trade stuff...

Old
06-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
It's been more than a few weeks. More like 3 months. They probably sign to a cheaper contract.
In showkiller's case yes, but in Mike Sutherland's case, he was doing CFRA news updates the weekend after he was let go from the Team 1200

Old
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I won two free tickets to Ottawa's 2nd playoff game by talking about Mott the Hoople, the band Kurt Studdley was talking about one day. Free is my second favourite four letter "F" word.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:22 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Anyone have the breakdown of Tim Murray's interview from yesterday? It was apparently quite telling on draft and trade stuff...
He chose his words very carefully. The part I remember the most is he indicated that all UFA's would be let go (like Winnie) unless they can't find anything and wish to come back at a bargain price.

Old
06-09-2012, 02:21 PM
DJB

vCash: 964
Thanks MC!

Old
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
FreakyBunny

I see that Sportscall is now cancelled, or on hiatus, or whatever. They filled the spot with yet another American show. How can we call this Ottawa's sports radio? You can barely call it Canadian.

As much as I would hate the Leafs homerisms that would inevitably come with picking up the TSN Radio feed for a few hours a day, I would much prefer Canadian programming to American. Ridiculous excuse for a a radio station. The only good things left are McGuire, York, and Galley.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBunny View Post
I see that Sportscall is now cancelled, or on hiatus, or whatever. They filled the spot with yet another American show. How can we call this Ottawa's sports radio? You can barely call it Canadian.

As much as I would hate the Leafs homerisms that would inevitably come with picking up the TSN Radio feed for a few hours a day, I would much prefer Canadian programming to American. Ridiculous excuse for a a radio station. The only good things left are McGuire, York, and Galley.
It would not shock me if Tsn goes this same route and pick up American programs for the summer.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBunny View Post

They do this every summer. Saves them money. It really sucks.

I listen to either CFRA or TSN 990. The guys on Ottawa radio just don't know sports. They know Hockey and Headlines, that's it.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
otown

On TGOR today Steve and JR put down the NHL Awards show big time and then Pierre comes on in his segment and says it was one of the best he has ever been a part of.
Silence on the other end and they quickly moved on to another topic.
It would have been very entertaining to discuss the merits of the Awards show- pros /cons etc. with Pierre especially after they spent so much time criticizing it....... but JR and Steve didn't go there. Didn't want to ruffle any feathers!

Closed Thread